• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CPala, get in here NOW: Fake Xbox Live accounts for foreign Marketplaces banned?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
pr0cs said:
I'm curious why people feel that this is Microsoft's fault? It's obvious that content providers are upset that Microsoft is giving people a way to providers content, I'm not surprised that Microsoft would be forced to try and crack down on this loophole.

Because some people in GAF just want there way regardless of the legal realities.

skybastos

storybook77 said:
Typical GAF drama. People getting mad about not being able to get stuff that they weren't supposed to get in the first place. It's like getting free cable, then the cable company realizes it and shuts it down, but you, somehow, get mad at them.
That comparison is stupid, because I am paying for the stuff... -_-

First I am from Portugal and live was only been available here for like 1/2 months, when xbox360 launched last year I bought the console, and registered an UK account to have access to live... now tell me should I have waited for live to be available here ? don't I have the right to be pissed ?

What will happen to my purchases ?

In conclusion Microsoft can go **** themselves, if is this is true...

mollipen

Companies (the content providers, not MS, because this isn't their fault) are going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the idea of a global market, aren't they? So annoying...

pr0cs said:
I'm curious why people feel that this is Microsoft's fault? It's obvious that content providers are upset that Microsoft is giving people a way to providers content, I'm not surprised that Microsoft would be forced to try and crack down on this loophole.

yeah, I'm more annoyed at the general idea of content holders needing stuff to be separated by region, and restricting things from folks, even if people are willing to pay for it. But like someone mentioned, I guess this is a byproduct of companies not having contracts set up to recognize this newfangled series of tubes called the Internets.

Tempy said:
uh but it's not like free cable. People are actually paying for this content.

The point is that you know going in that you aren't supposed to technically be getting the content and are lying about your region. You know you are doing something that you aren't supposed to, yet you get mad at them for fixing it so that you can't.

Too bad.... I got a couple of decent things with my US and JP accounts, namely the RR6 demo, which led to a purchase of the (UK PAL) game, and the Idol M@ster clips which look great on my HDTV.

Danj

storybook77 said:
The point is that you know going in that you aren't supposed to technically be getting the content and are lying about your region. You know you are doing something that you aren't supposed to, yet you get mad at them for fixing it so that you can't.

Why should it be "something that you aren't supposed to", though? Why shouldn't I be able to buy any piece of content from anywhere in the world? My money's just as good in America or Japan as it is in the UK or Europe. The whole concept of region locking should have been thrown out with the advent of the Internet and globalization.

skybastos

storybook77 said:
I am only mad about the accounts being banned, why can't they change the region of the account instead of banning the account ? ... :\

Danj said:
Why should it be "something that you aren't supposed to", though? Why shouldn't I be able to buy any piece of content from anywhere in the world? My money's just as good in America or Japan as it is in the UK or Europe. The whole concept of region locking should have been thrown out with the advent of the Internet and globalization.

You can blame copyrights, trademarks, lawyers, the MPAA, the RIAA, et al. for that.

Danj said:

The company line is that if they had their druthers, your utopia would exist today. Unfortunately, they don't. Have their druthers.

What are druthers anyway?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Oh well, as long as they leave my original, correct-regioned, account alone.

Meanwhile elsewhere on Live someone just called another person a f*gg*t n*gg*r nazi and is getting away with it :p

Orodreth

users that imported the console should get worried then? or will it only affect to not being able to for example have a japanese account while being in europe ?

Bebpo

Banned
storybook77 said:
You can blame copyrights, trademarks, lawyers, the MPAA, the RIAA, et al. for that.

Yet, Sony can do it no problem with the PS3...

Also keep aware that supposedly this is all due to the video marketplace. Meaning if MS didn't feel the need to tack-on this new section, gamers would not be getting screwed as they are about to be. Good job watching out for gamers MS!

Bebpo said:

So, everything is available to everyone no problem? I thought I saw a bunch of people starting up JP accounts on US machines and vice versa.

Also, has anything been released on PSN that is not owned by Sony outright? (RR7 demo would be one, I think.)

Danj

BenjaminBirdie said:
The company line is that if they had their druthers, your utopia would exist today. Unfortunately, they don't. Have their druthers.

What are druthers anyway?

preference, druthers (the right or chance to choose) "given my druthers, I'd eat cake"

Danj said:
preference, druthers (the right or chance to choose) "given my druthers, I'd eat cake"

Oh, I knew that. Just wondering if it had any kind of etymology. Like "Druthers were the preferred candy of the 17th Century Dutch and thus were known to say 'If I had my Druthers, I'd be much happier to-day.'"

Speevy

Banned
Bebpo said:

Also keep aware that supposedly this is all due to the video marketplace. Meaning if MS didn't feel the need to tack-on this new section, gamers would not be getting screwed as they are about to be. Good job watching out for gamers MS!

You're suggesting that they shouldn't offer TV and movie downloads? I mean, I'll never download a single one of these things, but they should try to expand Xbox Live as much as possible.

MS needs to offer better content for Japan and Europe, obviously.

Bebpo

Banned
Speevy said:
You're suggesting that they shouldn't offer TV and movie downloads? I mean, I'll never download a single one of these things, but they should try to expand Xbox Live as much as possible.

MS needs to offer better content for Japan and Europe, obviously.

I have no problem with them offering more options, but if it's going to screw over a handful of gamers (myself being one of them) by doing it...then yes I'd rather have the ability to PAY MS GOOD MONEY for additional content in my games than be able to download some TV shows or rent movies.

And this isn't just about the lack of content in some areas. It's about games that will never see the light of day in other countries. If you import those games and additional map packs or whatever go up for download, you'll never be able to buy them if you don't live in the country. Total BS.

For instance Culdcept Saga is planning on having new card decks & new maps for purchase/download in the near-future. Now until the game comes to the US, anyone in Europe or the US who imports Culdcept won't have access to these new decks, which could unbalance the online game where all the Japanese players are using them.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Fair enough, If I was Sky and British people were downloading LOST (for example, I know its not on the 360) from their Xbox instead of watching my version, Id be pissed too.

I'd be pissed if I was OXM and I paid lots of money for no Vegas demo, then some people went and got it from the marketplace through a second account

So basically, MS had to do this.

joshschw

if they are so worried why not just block foreign IP's from downloading the videos, since that is what this is about, obivously?

maybe this is just blocking non-US IP's from accessing the U.S content, while this will block out people as evidenced in this very thread, it wouldn't be as bad as cancelling all accounts where the region doesn't match up.

I am glad I am lazy though and never got around to buying points for my Japanese account.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Oh, I knew that. Just wondering if it had any kind of etymology. Like "Druthers were the preferred candy of the 17th Century Dutch and thus were known to say 'If I had my Druthers, I'd be much happier to-day.'"

"would rathers" somehow evolved into "druthers" as a dialect thing at some point.

Zaxxon said:
Argg I hate media companies and their old fashioned shit. It's a global world now, none of this crap makes sense anymore.

Truly. It is also a disgrace to what the whole internet stands for. It was all about being worldwide, stuff available to everyone.

But then people at media companies went like "let's regionize the internet just so we can make more monies and piss people off in the process!!1 omg we so clever!"

McBacon said:
Fair enough, If I was Sky and British people were downloading LOST (for example, I know its not on the 360) from their Xbox instead of watching my version, Id be pissed too.

I'd be pissed if I was OXM and I paid lots of money for no Vegas demo, then some people went and got it from the marketplace through a second account

Well this shit needs to stop. Companies need to stop giving away "regionized" exclusives. This shit has no place in the 21st century's internet. Globalization please!!

I can understand some need for regions, like when actual availability prevents a worldwide launch (PS3, for example), but not purposely locking people out of an internet server "just because we feel like it". There is no shortage, only greed.

Tiktaalik

McBacon said:

No the proper solution is for Sky to broadcast LOST at the same time as it airs in NA.

Speevy said:
I was kidding. I mean with all the constant barrage of "WHYS MS DOING THIS TO US?!!!" anyone would just say screw it.

I think Arne will skeep this topic...

If the rumor is right, MS will start banning the accounts, it is a bad press and he will not add more to the pile

If the rumor is wrong, MS will still allow a "silent" consent of download copyrighted material outside the designed area by the contrat (the user is the lyier, not MS, it is a hole in the system) Arne will not comment in anything, because it will sound a confirmation of MS break of contract.

And what about my case: I am from Brazil, and we are the 8th country with more users in Live, all them faked because although Xbox 360 is now officially launched in Brazil, there is no local Live in the foresee future.

All my achievements, my game content and arcade games will be locked?

MS should stick with games, not movies....

How difficult it would be to lock only the VideoMarketplace by IP address? What is the need of banning?

Acosta

Because some people in GAF just want there way regardless of the legal realities.
Today 06:35 PM

If "legal realities" are stupid that doen´t mean I have to be a stupid and say "yes, sire" to everything. I still keep my right to complain in a forum, thank you very much.

Instead of trying to make internet a gobal space and trying to be good examples for countries like China, "free" countries are the first one to attach their shitty and non useful laws to Internet like this was an extension of their own territory. Is fantastic, instead of acceptng my valid money and do a profitable exchange with it, companies are too busy building more and more walls for that.

In some years I won´t be allowed to post in NeoGaf because is an "american forum".

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Why don't you guys just run through a proxy and use a fake IP from whatever part of the world you want?

There's tons of sites out there with lists of IP's you can use.

Acosta

Tenacious-V said:
Why don't you guys just run through a proxy and use a fake IP from whatever part of the world you want?

There's tons of sites out there with lists of IP's you can use.

Can you do that with a console? I don´t realy know anything about proxies.

I tried to create a Gametap account with a "safe navigation program" but it was not possible, the page just refused to load.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Gaijin To Ronin said:
Can you do that with a console? I don´t realy know anything about proxies.

I tried to create a Gametap account with a "safe navigation program" but it was not possible, the page just refused to load.

Who knows, but if your console shares the same IP as what your router/PC is using, then shouldn't it?

CPaladino

Xbox Community Team
Details aren't all in yet - BUT, I do know for a fact that we are NOT banning the accounts.

We are blocking downloads in cases where gold accounts are being used to gain US content in foreign marketplaces.

I think (my opinion) that it is a legal issue - still waiting to hear back the official word.

CPaladino said:
Details aren't all in yet - BUT, I do know for a fact that we are NOT banning the accounts.

We are blocking downloads in cases where gold accounts are being used to gain US content in foreign marketplaces.

I think (my opinion) that it is a legal issue - still waiting to hear back the official word.

Sorry, I never heard about you. Are you also a MS representative like Arne?

What kind of content you are refering to? Only movies? Or game downloads as well?

What about users from regions without official Live? I use a US account to play, download arcade games, demos and all the stuff, but Live isn't availble here (Brazil). Will my account be banned because my IP isn´t from USA? Considering that Live is not present here?

Thanks a lot.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Except the rights holders of that content?

I'm pretty sure they can

cry.JPG

if region-locking the video downloads isn't enough for them.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Chiaroscuro said:
Sorry, I never heard about you. Are you also a MS representative like Arne?

What kind of content you are refering to? Only movies? Or game downloads as well?

What about users from regions without official Live? I use a US account to play, download arcade games, demos and all the stuff, but Live isn't availble here (Brazil). Will my account be banned because my IP isn´t from USA? Considering that Live is not present here?

Thanks a lot.

You won't be banned, you just won't be able to download copywritten content, aka the TV shows/Movies.

Schafer said:
You won't be banned, you just won't be able to download copywritten content, aka the TV shows/Movies.

Sorry, I worded it wrong. Not exactly banned, but will I continue to be able to download game related material (demos, videos, arcade, pics) from my USA account without being in USA? Games are also copywritten material, from different publishers around the world. I can live without the VideoMarkeplace (as until now) but I hope they do not block all the Marketplace content.

Chiaroscuro said:
Sorry, I worded it wrong. Not exactly banned, but will I continue to be able to download game related material (demos, videos, arcade, pics) from my USA account without being in USA? Games are also copywritten material, from different publishers around the world. I can live without the VideoMarkeplace (as until now) but I hope they do not block all the Marketplace content.
That concerns me too as I will be moving to the UK for work and plan on bringing my US 360 (originally from California). Will having my US 360 and US Live account be screwed out of DLC if I use it in the UK?

The only concern I have about this situation relates to Canadian / U.S. consoles. I can respect that licensing / distro concerns must be honored, but there are quite a number of Canuck X360s in the hands of genuine Americans and vice versa... mainly due to how replacement units have been routed across North America.

Blocking access to Video Marketplace content is a fine idea IF you can restrict it to the originating IP's location. If you're simply sniffing out Canadian consoles and phasing out certain features of U.S. Live Gold accounts that happen to be on them, it's going to turn into a SERIOUS customer service headache.

And even then, the above IP-origin solution raises other concerns. Such as, military bases. Foreign nationals may want to access their favorite U.S. TV programs on their U.S. consoles while stationed overseas.

It's a mucky situation.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
The only concern I have about this situation relates to Canadian / U.S. consoles. I can respect that licensing / distro concerns must be honored, but there are quite a number of Canuck X360s in the hands of genuine Americans and vice versa... mainly due to how replacement units have been routed across North America.

Blocking access to Video Marketplace content is a fine idea IF you can restrict it to the originating IP's location. If you're simply sniffing out Canadian consoles and phasing out certain features of U.S. Live Gold accounts that happen to be on them, it's going to turn into a SERIOUS customer service headache.

And even then, the above IP-origin solution raises other concerns. Such as, military bases. Foreign nationals may want to access their favorite U.S. TV programs on their U.S. consoles while stationed overseas.

It's a mucky situation.

There is no difference between USA/Canada Xbox 360. Actually I have a Canadian one acessing an USA account on a Brazilian IP (I just remembered that I bought the console on Canada, not USA).

So to avoid Canadian users to access USA copyrighted content they can only use IP address. And I am pretty sure that military bases will use USA IP address, not the ones designed to the region the base is located. Americans working abroad is a different issue, however.

Top Bottom