• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CPU Wii U just as powerful as PS3, X360, GPU 1,5 times stronger

According to the dutch website Insidegamer.nl this was mentioned by a ubisoft employee during an AC3 gameplay demonstration.

Loose but optimised google translation:

News | June 8, 2012 - The central processing unit (CPU) of the U Wii is as powerful as the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, but the graphics processing unit (GPU) is one and a half times as strong. That is what an employee of Ubisoft stated to Insidegamer.

Ubisoft provided this information from a gameplay demo of Assassin's Creed 3. The editor of Insidegamer noting however that the game is on Wii U currently less good looking than the other consoles, with less detail and less constant framerate.

This can still be solved; because the Wii U is a new console, developers are still getting used to develop for the device. According to Ubisoft Assassin's Creed for Wii U will, at the time of release, be of the same quality as the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions.

Source:
http://www.insidegamer.nl/nieuws/98237/ac3-cpu-wii-u-net-zo-krachtig-als-ps3-x360-gpu-is-sterker

Log4Girlz

Well, that's one of the rumors. Seems legit.

Having said that...having an audio DSP offload data from the CPU helps (a dev mentioned some games with audio taking up a whole core on the Xbox 360). Having at least a GB of RAM helps improve textures. As for the GPU, it has more modern features...so does the 50% leap mean its more compex but has a 50% faster clock, or if the raw performance is just 50% greater.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is pretty much what I expected after E3. Slightly better GPU and more memory = easier way to get similar results as the existing systems. Although I thought maybe something more like 2x on the GPU.

tkscz

Well I suppose that's that. Nintendo only made a console that's as strong as this gen. Still getting it, I have my PC for graphics.

Peru

We've already got the specs and they show us it's quite a bit stronger - doesn't account for the effort or skills developers will put into it, though.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Bullshit. I don't believe it.

freddy

Banned
Even with my limited technological prowess I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that 2nd or 3rd generation games on WiiU will blow away anything released around launch.

So, there is a bottleneck elsewhere if direct ports from X360 doesn´t look as good in a 1.5 times GPU and same level CPU console.

wrowa

There are videos for AC3 U? Link please? :eek:

We've already got the specs and they show us it's quite a bit stronger - doesn't account for the effort or skills developers will put into it, though.

We have specs without actual specs, though.

So, there is a bottleneck elsewhere if direct ports from X360 doesn´t look as good in a 1.5 times GPU and same level CPU console.

It's more of an optimization issue. Developers know the PS3 and 360 by heart and their engines are very optimized. With the Wii U developers first need the experience before they can achieve quite the same results.

Which specs?. They didn´t say anything about memory bandwith and speed, shaders amount...

Well they didn't really show anything this E3 that would lead one to believe it was more powerful than the PS3 or 360. Even Arkham City looked identical to the current versions released. Which is fine, most people just want Nintendo games in HD with some 3rd party support sprinkled in anyways.

I am just waiting to see what Monolith Soft can do on the Wii U.

tkscz

Those were the specs they were aiming for. Whether or not they got those is unknown to us. Though, if it does support compute shaders and has a modern dedicated tessellator (like the spec sheets said), than graphically it would LOOK better than this gen and closer to next, but geometry wise wouldn't actually be better.

Hoo-doo

Banned
De central processing unit (CPU) van de Wii U is net zo krachtig als die van de PlayStation 3 en Xbox 360, maar de graphics processing unit (GPU) is anderhalf keer zo sterk. Dat heeft een medewerker van Ubisoft verklaard tegenover Insidegamer.

Ubisoft vertstrekte deze informatie bij een gameplaydemonstratie van Assassin's Creed 3. De redacteur van InsideGamer merkte daarbij wel op dat de game er op Wii U op dit moment minder goed uit ziet dan op de andere spelcomputers, met minder detail en een minder constante framerate.

Dit kan nog worden opgelost; omdat de Wii U een nieuwe spelcomputer is, moeten ontwikkelaars nog wennen aan ontwikkelen voor het apparaat. Volgens Ubisoft zal Assassin's Creed voor Wii U bij release van dezelfde kwaliteit zijn als de PS3- en Xbox 360-versies.

The Central Processing Unit (CPU) of the Wii-U is just as powerful as those found in the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, but the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) is one and a half times as powerful. This is what a Ubisoft employee has told Insidegamer.

Ubisoft distributed this information at a gameplay demonstration of Assassin's Creed III. The staff at Insidegamer did notice that the Wii-U version of the game was visually lacking compared to the other consoles at the moment. The game ran with less details and a less constant framerate.

This can be solved though. Because the Wii-U is a brand new console, developers have to get accustomed to the development on the device. According to Ubisoft, the Wii-U version of Assassin's Creed III will achieve the same quality as the PS3 and Xbox 360 at release.

There you go. Proper translation.

Not surprising.

Think about the kinds of new games they showed off for it: Rayman Legends, Scribblenauts Unlimited, NSMBWU. Even Pikmin 3 looked like it would have no problem running on a 360 or PS3.

They must really think the controller and Mario & Co. is all they need.

Well they didn't really show anything this E3 that would lead one to believe it was more powerful than the PS3 or 360. Even Arkham City looked identical to the current versions released. Which is fine, most people just want Nintendo games in HD with some 3rd party support sprinkled in anyways.

I am just waiting to see what Monolith Soft can do on the Wii U.

No it didn't, most people agreed it looked worse than the 360/PS3 versions.

Mistle

Even with my limited technological prowess I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that 2nd or 3rd generation games on WiiU will blow away anything released around launch.
Well this is the case for any system really.

I'm fine with Wii U not being enormously powerful, even if it is disappointing. I don't own a 360 or PS3 (i do PC game however) so the step up from Wii to Wii U will still be extremely impressive for my console experience.

Plus, Nintendo games in HD. If they made Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword look so good on Wii, then they're going to blow me away with upcoming games. The obvious downer though is not getting next-gen third party games :/

The Central Processing Unit (CPU) of the Wii-U is just as powerful as those found in the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, but the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) is one and a half times as powerful. This is what a Ubisoft employee has told Insidegamer.

Ubisoft distributed this information at a gameplay demonstration of Assassin's Creed III. The staff at Insidegamer did notice that the Wii-U version of the game was visually lacking compared to the other consoles at the moment. The game ran with less details and a less constant framerate.

This can be solved though. Because the Wii-U is a brand new console, developers have to get accustomed to the development on the device. According to Ubisoft, the Wii-U version of Assassin's Creed III will achieve the same quality as the PS3 and Xbox 360 at release.

There you go. Proper translation.

Thanks. There must be something related to the memory system that we don´t know...

czk

Typical COD gamer
I hoped that this kind of rumors would end after the E3, but we really don't know much more about this console than a week before :/
Is such a thing even possible?

Margalis

Banned
some comparison screens from another board.

Which side is which? Left PS3 right WiiU?

Edit: Ok, I assume right is WiiU because of the buttons. WiiU version looks substantially better.

Edit2: I saw this in person at E3, ran pretty badly in places but graphically looked as good or better than the mtuliplayer demo in the Ubi booth. Though that was multiplayer, so a bit apples and oranges.

JB1981

come on, son.gif.

these are not good sources for comparison. assets are identical. i expect that, upon release, WiiU version will have steadier framerate and better texture resolution. ubisoft has made big strides on both x360/PS3 with this engine in terms of image quality, though. Revelations, for example, was praised by Eurogamer for its AA implementation and overall IQ improvement. The engine still tears like a bitch on PS3.

Log4Girlz

come on, son.gif.

these are not good sources for comparison. assets are identical. i expect that, upon release, WiiU version will have steadier framerate and better texture resolution.

From what I can see, the Wii U version has the better textures?

The central processing unit (CPU) in the Wii U is just as powerful as the one found in the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, but the graphics processing unit (GPU) is one and a half times as strong. A Ubisoft employee makes this clame to Insidegamer.

Ubisoft told this information during a gameplay demonstration of Assassin’s Creed III. The editor of InsideGamer did notice that the Wii U-version of AC3 doesn’t look as good as the versions on other platforms, with less detail and a less stable framerate.

This could be fixed later on, because the Wii is a new console and developers might have to get used to developing for the console. According to Ubisoft Assassin’s Creed III will have the same quality as the PS3- and Xbox 360 versions.

orioto

Good Art™
I guess, like for the vita, tools used by devs are generally not well updated for new consoles and that's what make any port difficult and result underwhelming..

It's still really bad for Nintendo anyway. They just can't let people think WiiU is not even a PS3 for the whole next year...

Raide

The Wii U version looks like it has better textures, and is sharper overall.

Yeah, even the GT logo is sharper! Praise be for Wii-U!

Seriously, we have to wait till someone gets hold of the console and gets some direct footage.

gogogow

come on, son.gif.

these are not good sources for comparison. assets are identical. i expect that, upon release, WiiU version will have steadier framerate and better texture resolution. ubisoft has made big strides on both x360/PS3 with this engine in terms of image quality, though. Revelations, for example, was praised by Eurogamer for its AA implementation and overall IQ improvement. The engine still tears like a bitch on PS3.

Haha, I think Ubisoft actually has v-sync turned on in the Wii U version, I didn't spot any tearing at all in the video. Detail-wise, I don't see how the Wii U version is less detailed, I guess it is missing AA.

Top Bottom