• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3: 10 minute pre-alpha gameplay demo

MauroNL

Seemed new thread worthy, because it shows the game and how the engine uses the cloud to create the mind blowing destruction.

Pre-Alpha Crackdown 3 demo

Sidenote

- Weapon damage is upped significantly for the demo, so you can't shoot a building down in the actual game with a machine gun

Courage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFWIpAPvF-Q&feature=youtu.be

Some gifs from the other thread:

ThunderousAlienatedIbisbill.gif

GlossyTautBufeo.gif

Torment

Banned
This needs way more attention, thanks for making a thread. I am blown away that this is possible on a current gen console.

Damn impressive. Still can't tell whether crackdown 3 looks good or not but the tech is certainly impressive and i hope we see more of it in the future.

Seems like overkill to be able to bring down entire buildings with an assault rifle. Hopefully that's just for demo purposes with a more realistic destructability at release.

At about 3:50 he says that he is using 'overpowered bullets'

Seems like overkill to be able to bring down entire buildings with an assault rifle. Hopefully that's just for demo purposes with a more realistic destructability at release.

He said like 5 times that they upped the damage for weapons in this demo. Otherwise it would take all day to make a dent.

x-Lundz-x

Did they explain how destruction would work if you are offline? Sorry I did not see this part of the conference yesterday.

Alx

I guess we'll be able to reproduce that sequence in the concept trailer where someone is driving a truck on a collapsing building, using it as a launch pad. I can't wait to see all the crazy videos that people will make of their well-planned building destructions. :)

Did they explain how destruction would work if you are offline? Sorry I did not see this part of the conference yesterday.

Based on snippets of what they are saying the single player campaign will have this on a much more limited scale. If you can destroy the entire city it would make the concept of going for orbs moot.

This looks to be more on the co-op campaign side.

I think this is really cool. Now when you have a suitably powerful weapon you blow away the structure separating you and an enemy player.

I'm glad they're using Azure like this. Hopefully it works out in the final product.

derFeef

I guess we'll be able to reproduce that sequence in the concept trailer where someone is driving a truck on a collapsing building, using it as a launch pad. I can't wait to see all the crazy videos that people will make of their well-planned building destructions. :)

Or the get the orb on top of it, heh.

GavinGT

Banned
It makes me wanna see how offline play looks (assuming there isn't an always-online requirement in the first place).

There's probably no destruction in offline mode (assuming there even is one). This level of destruction only makes sense if it gets reset at the end of a round.

I forget, how did Red Faction Guerilla do it? Was destruction persistent in single player?

Destruction looks good. Graphics look bad.

That's my problem with this level of destruction. Seems silly that you could basically destroy an entire city using a little gun.

Did you listen to anything he said on how they upped the damage on weapons so the could show stuff?

MauroNL

Its funny near the end he says "our record is 13 Xbox One's worth of computing power using the cloud" and in the demo he barely reaches 10 in the end. Amazing tech, interested to see how it turns out in the game though.

There's probably no destruction in offline mode (assuming there even is one). This level of destruction only makes sense if it gets reset at the end of a round.

I expect that walls and etc come down and you can destroy some buildings but it will be very limited. Destroying an entire city would render a lot of the story moot in Crackdown.

It's not a tech thing, beyond making the game online only. It more a design decision. Whats the point of orbs if you can't reach them because you destroyed all the buildings.

Sydle

It's clear that it works, and it's impressive. I think most people have come around to the ideas of what could be done, but what happens when the servers aren't available? We've seen Xbox Live go whole weekends with difficulties.

While it looks amazing, it also seems incredibly wasteful. I don't know that any other game company besides MS could waste so many dedicated servers to simply calculate physics for a console game.

The amount of datacenter juice this game is going to take up at launch is going to be crazy.

derFeef

It's clear that it works, and it's impressive. I think most people have come around to the ideas of what could be done, but what happens when the servers aren't available? We've seen Xbox Live go whole weekends with difficulties.

Then you can't play multi in the first place, no? Plus I would assume those are different servers (if you can call them servers, for Azure) than the XBL account stuff etc.

nib95

Banned
Impressive. Really intrigued to see how this all works out in the final game, and how people take advantage of it in a gameplay sense.

Imagine a gamemode similar to Splatoon except it's not how how much paint is splattered, but how much destruction is done.

GavinGT

Banned
While it looks amazing, it also seems incredibly wasteful. I don't know that any other game company besides MS could waste so many dedicated servers to simply calculate physics for a console game.

The amount of datacenter juice this game is going to take up at launch is going to be crazy.

Yeah, it's fucking cool. They're totally going for it.

Falchion

Just Cause 3 will satisfy my physics based destruction cravings until this comes out. Looks great though.

Ricky_R

The second gif looks nuts.

Btw, if the cloud fails for some reason at any given moment, will the game disable destruction temporarily or what?

Top Bottom