• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 releasing Holiday 2017, 4K on Scorpio

It was already stated to be a 2017 delay back at E3, what this adds is that now we know it's a full-year and more anyway.

dugdug

Banned
Good to hear. That destruction demo they had last year made it my most anticipated XB1 game.

Is it still even using the cloud anymore?

I know we had that destruction tech video a year or so ago showing off the power of the cloud....but considering how almost 4 years after the hyping of the xbones ability to suoer charge games with it,and nothing really coming from it,i pretty much expect that aspect to be dropped.

Chris1

I know we had that destruction tech video a year or so ago showing off the power of the cloud....but considering how almost 4 years after the hyping of the xbones ability to suoer charge games with it,and nothing really coming from it,i pretty much expect that aspect to be dropped.
It is. They showed some footage of it at Gamescom 2015 and it looked unreal.

theWB27

I'm pretty sure I heard when you're offline destruction would scale back. Online it would be what they showed.

I'm not sure why it would be dropped a this point just because it's taken awhile.

Izuna

Banned
Physics is going to be mental. I wonder though what packet loss might do to the cloud processing though.

Chris1

I'm pretty sure I heard when you're offline destruction would scale back. Online it would be what they showed.

I'm not sure why it would be dropped a this point just because it's taken awhile.

Nah, there are two parts of Crackdown now.

Crackdown single player - I think this has either no destruction or very limited.

Crackdown online (multiplayer) - blow the whole city up if you want.

theWB27

Crackdown single player - I think this has either no destruction or very limited.

Wasn't too far off then. It looked like crazy fun though.

It is. They showed some footage of it at Gamescom 2015 and it looked unreal.

Yeah that's the footage I was referring to. Considering its been almost complete radio silence on the game since that I have my doubts that the tech is going to fully make its way into the game.

They could just be retooling the general gameplay and style of the game,but the lack of any solid info in the last year or so,combined with the delay gives me the impression that the cloud based aspects may end up being downplayed going forward.

EmiPrime

I'm glad they're giving it the time it needs but this means there's a drought of exclusives between Halo Wars 2 and Scorpio's release (I assume Scalebound will be held back too).

I'm glad they're giving it the time it needs but this means there's a drought of exclusives between Halo Wars 2 and Scorpio's release (I assume Scalebound will be held back too).
After Halo Wars 2 they still have Phantom Dust HD, Voodoo Vince, Scalebound, Sea of Thieves slated for the first half of the year. Cuphead and Ashen also scheduled which were MS funded

I'm guessing Crackdown and State of Decay 2 will be Scorpio launch in fall

Chris1

Scalebound and Sea of Thieves are "early 2016" but who knows with that. There's some other small remasters like Voodoo Vince but yeah.

Yeah that's the footage I was referring to. Considering its been almost complete radio silence on the game since that I have my doubts that the tech is going to fully make its way into the game.

They could just be retooling the general gameplay and style of the game,but the lack of any solid info in the last year or so,combined with the delay gives me the impression that the cloud based aspects may end up being downplayed going forward.
I think the early announcement was done for a few reasons though. For one Ntkrnl leaked it, at that point I don't think there's much point in hiding it. Second there was supposed to be "multiplayer" this summer which obviously never happened.

Speculation here but I've always said this, I believe CD Multiplayer was originally supposed to be F2P standalone this year with the campaign next year, there's a lot of small hints adding up to it which makes me believe this wasn't just a typical "beta" like most people assumed. When Greenberg was asked about it post E3 he was all "Huh? Don't remember that. We never said anything about crackdown" but it's literally in the reveal trailer and an xbox news wire post only 5~ month before hand. I believe after Fable Legends failure and Scorpio they just scrapped this idea and making it a proper package for $60.

As for the no recent info, I think Phil is just done with announcing games too early. I know CD is already announced but I mean he just wants to focus on games people will be playing "soon" and not 2,3,4,5 years from now. This E3 for example focused mostly on games we will be playing before next E3. Iffy ones are Sea of Thieves and Scalebound but both at said to be early 2016 and I believe E3 2017 will focus on games coming out that holiday or 2018.

Ushay

They have been oddly quiet for 2017, either they don't have much or there is a lot under wraps for an E3 unveiling.

EmiPrime

After Halo Wars 2 they still have Phantom Dust HD, Voodoo Vince, Scalebound, Sea of Thieves slated for the first half of the year. Cuphead and Ashen also scheduled which were MS funded

Scalebound and Sea of Thieves are "early 2016" but who knows with that. There's some other small remasters like Voodoo Vince but yeah.

Folks, I would be very surprised if SOT and Scalebound come out this side of E3. None of those games have release dates to my knowledge.

They have been oddly quiet for 2017, either they don't have much or there is a lot under wraps for an E3 unveiling.

They might well have a lot at E3 yeah. Maybe treat Scorpio like a total relaunch with a massive launch lineup.

Folks, I would be very surprised if SOT and Scalebound come out this side of E3. None of those games have release dates to my knowledge.

They might well have a lot at E3 yeah. Maybe treat Scorpio like a total relaunch with a massive launch lineup.
Announced in 2014, originally had a late 2016 release. In January they announced it was now a 2017 title. I don't think it's crazy to think it would be able to release before E3

EmiPrime

Announced in 2014, originally had a late 2016 release. In January they announced it was now a 2017 title. I don't think it's crazy to think it would be able to release before E3

Could say the same almost word for word about Crackdown 3. ;) Q1 is out of the question and I don't think it will be Q2 either. We'll see I guess.

Scalebound has chugged whenever shown publicly on base XB1 hardware, I think it's the perfect game to show off Scorpio.

Remember when Microsoft was pushing the cloud at the beginning of Xbone launch especially with this game?

All thanks to the "cloud" who runs games in thin air. haha

Koobion

Hopefully this will be on PC too, but I'm excited for this either way as I loved the first one. Physics playgrounds are my favorite thing in games.

Remember when Microsoft was pushing the cloud at the beginning of Xbone launch especially with this game?

It could be worth reading into how they use "the cloud" for Crackdown, because it is a legitimate use for it and it is pretty cool.

Izuna

Banned

Have you seen the technical demonstrations for cloud processing with regard to Crackdown 3? It's some next level shit.

--

also, casually shilling Microsoft Research app for cool videos

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
What about the cloud power?

Falchion

Yeah, I figured this would happen when it seemed the One wasn't going to be able to handle all the destruction without the cloud. Hopefully it'll be a good launch title.

Sydle

Didn't they say the delay was to improve the SP campaign? I'm fine with it being pushed back if that's the case and I hope they make it as fun as the original game.

Chris1

Didn't they say the delay was to improve the SP campaign? I'm fine with it being pushed back if that's the case and I hope they make it as fun as the original game.
Dunno about that but there was never an actual delay the campaign AFAIK. Other than the "Multiplayer summer 2016" stuff we never got any dates I believe (well until now).

Nategc20

Banned

MS is killing this generation. Sale figures says otherwise but they putting in that work. There is nothing more to really say.

In Dave Jones we trust. I have a really good feeling about Crackdown 3, think it could be something unique and special.

As for revealing games too early, they're all as bad and as good as each other.

Sydle

Dunno about that but there was never an actual delay the campaign AFAIK. Other than the "Multiplayer summer 2016" stuff we never got any dates I believe (well until now).

Found the quote. You're right, I got the quote from Loftis in July this year mixed up. They're doubling down on the campaign, but the reason the MP beta was delayed is to get it out closer to the release of the full game.

“Development has been going incredibly well. I’ve actually been playing a ton of it,” she told me. “To be honest, because we obviously have this Crackdown Online mode and then we also have the traditional Crackdown campaign, which has multiplayer online. But we want to launch our online beta so that it’s not too far in advance of the complete campaign. It’s actually the campaign that we’re doubling down on now. We’ve got internal play sessions every week for Crackdown Online. We’re starting now to get the campaign in. Building these open world games is both challenging and a blast, because you have to build all of the systems that interact together. Before you get to the point where you can actually experience what the game feels like and can start building your missions and telling your stories.”

“So the Crackdown campaign is definitely the most fully featured campaign we’ve ever done. It’s basically running a sim on top of the traditional Crackdown environment. We created this thing called a ‘hate table.’ Depending on what you choose to destroy in the environment, there will be massive, big reactions all over the city. Gangs will get together against you. This is the first time we’ve ever had something like that. It’s just starting to come online. We have lots of time to put together our missions. I don’t like letting gamers down and asking them to wait, but I’m also kind of proud of giving developers the time they need.”

Microsoft's messaging regarding this game has been a total clusterfuck. The Cloud bullshit really overshadowed what was, from the looks of what little has actually been shown, a pretty dull game just like the first two.

They're really banking hard on the destructible scenery hype to carry this I'm betting.

MS is killing this generation. Sale figures says otherwise but they putting in that work. There is nothing more to really say.

Couldn't disagree more. The fact that the post you're quoting is listing a HD remaster of an OG Xbox game as a marquee title for the year says something different from what you appear to be suggesting.

Wow that's awesome!

Hopefully this will be on PC too, but I'm excited for this either way as I loved the first one. Physics playgrounds are my favorite thing in games.

They announced it for Windows 10 in June IIRC.

Crackdown 3 arriving in 2017

Today, we are excited to confirm that Crackdown 3 will be available for both Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs, and will be an Xbox Play Anywhere title so you can buy one and play across either device.

Chris1

Found the quote. You're right, I got the quote from Loftis in July this year mixed up. They're doubling down on the campaign, but the reason the MP beta was delayed is to get it out closer to the release of the full game.
Oh yeah I think I've seen this before.. but:

“To be honest, because we obviously have this Crackdown Online mode and then we also have the traditional Crackdown campaign, which has multiplayer online."

Is she saying there's gonna be Crackdown Online, Crackdown Campaign AND Crackdown Multiplayer? Or just poorly worded and she means the campaign has coop?

gamz

Microsoft's messaging regarding this game has been a total clusterfuck. The Cloud bullshit really overshadowed what was, from the looks of what little has actually been shown, a pretty dull game just like the first two.

They're really banking hard on the destructible scenery hype to carry this I'm betting.

How was it a cluster? I'm sure the cloud will be part of the game as it is with others.

What are you not clear about?

Fuck 4K, use the power of Scorpio to make full city destruction available for offline singleplayer. Hell, make the game Scorpio-only if you have to.

Gamezone

Gold Member

Only for multiplayer, I think.

Gamezone

Gold Member

No destruction? Even super old Red Faction hace decent destruction, and there is no cloud involved.

Sydle

Oh yeah I think I've seen this before.. but:

“To be honest, because we obviously have this Crackdown Online mode and then we also have the traditional Crackdown campaign, which has multiplayer online."

Is she saying there's gonna be Crackdown Online, Crackdown Campaign AND Crackdown Multiplayer? Or just poorly worded and she means the campaign has coop?

Seems she was comparing Crackdown Online and Crackdown Campaign, where the campaign also has an online mode for co-op.

Chris1

No destruction? Even super old Red Faction hace decent destruction, and there is no cloud involved.

I'm pretty sure it's a design choice not a technical limitation. I remember when they said the destruction would only be online they said something about it interfering with the campaigns story. Which i can see, imagine blowing up the entire map then starting a mission with literally no level design or structure (because you just blew it up), etc. What if you just buried your objective under a tower? Etc. Sure, it could rebuild itself inbetween missions but then it becomes a gimmick rather than the central focus of the game which I think MS wants to avoid. They want to sell the cloud and make something that literally revolves around it, making it a gimmick won't do that.

Don't forget the debris in CD Online stays on the ground at all times, it never leaves until you join a new server. It doesn't disappear and rebuilds itself once you step out of the area like most games.

Don't know if there's zero destruction or just limited in the campaign though. But it's not gonna be like the CD Online mode, regardless of online status.

theWB27

Couldn't disagree more. The fact that the post you're quoting is listing a HD remaster of an OG Xbox game as a marquee title for the year says something different from what you appear to be suggesting.

What has been a cluster fuck exactly? It's been really straightforward.

They are banking hard on the destruction. Has it ever been done before on the scale they've shown?

The cloud stuff isn't bullshit. They've shown that it works.

Top Bottom