• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 releasing Holiday 2017, 4K on Scorpio

I'm glad they're giving it the time it needs but this means there's a drought of exclusives between Halo Wars 2 and Scorpio's release (I assume Scalebound will be held back too).
Microsoft has always put an emphasis on the holiday season. I don't think they really care about spreading out their exclusives throughout the year.

Zeta Oni

Seems she was comparing Crackdown Online and Crackdown Campaign, where the campaign also has an online mode for co-op.

This is my hope as well.

I know there's a lot of problems with GTA Online, but I really think the mode itself could be a great template for a game like Crackdown to borrow elements from, and if this is really the reason we have been waiting so long, then I don't mind the wait.

Picturing a giant lobby of people all jumping rooftop to rooftop collecting agility orbs alone makes it worth it.

On a side note, and as mentioned in the thread previously; If Crackdown 3 is a holiday 2017 title releasing around what I'm guessing is the release of the Scorpio, then where do we expect Sea of Thieves and Scalebound to be released during 2017?

I'm glad they're giving it the time it needs but this means there's a drought of exclusives between Halo Wars 2 and Scorpio's release (I assume Scalebound will be held back too).

If we can assume another game from Turn10 next year, then what I can guess is something like:

February- Halo Wars
Q1 2017- Phantom Dust HD/ Voodoo Vince HD
Q2 2017- Scalebound
Q3 2017- Sea of Thieves
September 2017- Turn10 project
Q4 2017- Crackdown 3
Q4 2017- Scorpio

Which is what I would find the ideal release schedule, giving each bigger budget release enough breathing room so we can avoid the usual holiday overcrowding MS is famous for. Throw in some smaller titles like Cuphead and Ashen, and its looking like a good year, at least imo.

And this is before we get into E3 shenanigans.

Heinrich

Banned
It was already stated to be a 2017 delay back at E3, what this adds is that now we know it's a full-year and more anyway.

makes sense. they want to release it as a lunch title for scorpio. maybe even as a bundle. so yeah, give them time to polish things.
its the same nintendo did with zelda wii u/switch.

Hawk269

This is my hope as well.

I know there's a lot of problems with GTA Online, but I really think the mode itself could be a great template for a game like Crackdown to borrow elements from, and if this is really the reason we have been waiting so long, then I don't mind the wait.

Picturing a giant lobby of people all jumping rooftop to rooftop collecting agility orbs alone makes it worth it.

On a side note, and as mentioned in the thread previously; If Crackdown 3 is a holiday 2017 title releasing around what I'm guessing is the release of the Scorpio, then where do we expect Sea of Thieves and Scalebound to be released during 2017?

If we can assume another game from Turn10 next year, then what I can guess is something like:

February- Halo Wars
Q2 2017- Scalebound
Q3 2017- Sea of Thieves
Q4 2017- Crackdown 3
Q4 2017- Scorpio

Which is what I would find the ideal release schedule, giving each bigger budget release enough breathing room so we can avoid the usual holiday overcrowding MS is famous for. Throw in some smaller titles like Cuphead and Ashen, and its looking like a good year, at least imo.

Weather it is called Forza 7 or Forza World or whatever Forza (insert subtitle) it will be the poster child for the Scorpio. I think T10 has been working on making this a showcase title for the Scorpio, I think all the testing they have been doing with dynamic resolution and such on Forza Apex was them coming to grips on making a game that can scale from an original Xbox One to the Scorpio.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I still believe that Crackdown 3 will be the showcase game for Scorpio and be exclusive to the console as I simply don't think that the base/slim Xbox One will be able to handle the game.

Trojan

They showed this game way too early. It may turn out to be a good game but they now have a 3-year window from reveal to release which is way too long unless it's a top-tier franchise (e.g. Zelda).

blakep267

I still believe that Crackdown 3 will be the showcase game for Scorpio and be exclusive to the console as I simply don't think that the base/slim Xbox One will be able to handle the game.
The destruction is limited in the single player and expanded in the multiplayer. The Scorpio may just allow for more destruction in the single player. The game didn't look unplayable on the normal Xbox.

I think the next Forza game and State of decay 2 would be better showcases. Forza with maybe dynamic weather, time of day, native 4K, and state of decay with a bigger world or more hordes of zombies/better performance since SoD had horrible performance before

EmiPrime

Microsoft has always put an emphasis on the holiday season. I don't think they really care about spreading out their exclusives throughout the year.

Yeah seems so but it's a bit daft. They're going to lose much of the momentum they've built up.

February- Halo Wars
Q2 2017- Scalebound
Q3 2017- Sea of Thieves
Q4 2017- Crackdown 3
Q4 2017- Scorpio

Voodoo Vince has only been teased and we haven't seen Phantom Dust since it was restarted, I think they will be summer games. Sea of Thieves is anyone's guess. Ideally it would be a summer game too but not convinced it will be ready.

If Turn10 have a game due this year it will be a Scorpio launch game IMO.

Dabanton

I most people assumed they'd hold it back so they had it as a launch game with Scorpio. A wise move really.

I'm truly intrigued to see how MS launches Scorpio now. Do people think they'll have a reveal show before E3? Show off a few titles we know about and reveal 1 or 2 we didn't.

I think next E3 will be, at least from Sony and MS all about the word '4K'

theWB27

Yeah seems so but it's a bit daft. They're going to lose much of the momentum they've built up.

Voodoo Vince has only been teased and we haven't seen Phantom Dust since it was restarted, I think they will be summer games. Sea of Thieves is anyone's guess. Ideally it would be a summer game too but not convinced it will be ready.

How are they gonna lose momentum doing the same thing that got them that momentum?

blakep267

he's talking about the Oort of phantom dust. It was announced at e3 for early 2017

I most people assumed they'd hold it back so they had it as a launch game with Scorpio. A wise move really.

I'm truly intrigued to see how MS launches Scorpio now. Do people think they'll have a reveal show before E3? Show off a few titles we know about and reveal 1 or 2 we didn't.

I think next E3 will be, at least from Sony and MS all about the word '4K'
I think they unveil it in either April or may and show existing games( Gears 4, Forza horizon 3 maybe some older 3rd parties like battlefield etc) and then they show games we already know about( Scalebound, crackdown etc) running on the Scorpio. Then they show off some VR games and headset implementation. I think E3 is reserved for new 2018 games and maybe a halo remake etc

Sydle

This is my hope as well.

February- Halo Wars
Q2 2017- Scalebound
Q3 2017- Sea of Thieves
Q4 2017- Crackdown 3
Q4 2017- Scorpio

I think Scalebound and Sea of Thieves will be late Q3 or Q4 releases. Not sure where State of Decay 2 will land, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's late 2017 as well.

I'm kind of hoping Turn10 takes a break next year. If they release Forza Motorsport 7 that will be 3 Forza Motorsport games in 4 years, plus 2 Horizon games. 5 Forza franchise entries in 4 years. Ugh. Give it a rest for a year or two and try something new before returning to it, or do some kind of update for Forza Motorsport 6 that brings new tracks and cars with some new visual updates plus VR mode.

No way Sea of thieves is early or even first half of the year.
Yeah with the closed beta yet to happen and barely any footage of the actual quests and combat systems I can see this title being spring 2018. I think they need to get the game right before releasing it.

As with crackdown hopefully the game has come together when or if we see it at e3. Been hoping to get a return to form after crackdown 2 didn't appeal to me.

Figured as such. It's fine, MS is going to want to launch Scorpio with a solid lineup of games that can showcase the hardware.

The Cloud bullshit really overshadowed what was, from the looks of what little has actually been shown, a pretty dull game just like the first two.
Why are you in this thread then?
Besides nintendo, everybody announces stuff to early. EA announcing Star Wars games not coming out for 2-3 years, Sony with their last 2 e3 conferences, MS with QB and crackdown etc
Besides Nintendo? lol I guess you forgot about Zelda, eh?

m23

Yeah with the closed beta yet to happen and barely any footage of the actual quests and combat systems I can see this title being spring 2018. I think they need to get the game right before releasing it.

As with crackdown hopefully the game has come together when or if we see it at e3. Been hoping to get a return to form after crackdown 2 didn't appeal to me.

Yeah I don't understand people expecting SoT early next year. 2018 seems like a more reasonable time frame.

Zeta Oni

Weather it is called Forza 7 or Forza World or whatever Forza (insert subtitle) it will be the poster child for the Scorpio. I think T10 has been working on making this a showcase title for the Scorpio, I think all the testing they have been doing with dynamic resolution and such on Forza Apex was them coming to grips on making a game that can scale from an original Xbox One to the Scorpio.

Even if that ends up being the situation, It still wouldn't shake things up too radically in terms of release schedule.

So now it would look like

February- Halo Wars
Q2 2017- Scalebound
Q3 2017- Sea of Thieves
Q4 2017- Crackdown 3
Q4 2017- Turn10 Project
Q4 2017- Scorpio

The big two ??? on the list are Scalebound and Sea of Thieves.

I highly doubt either will be delayed, its more of a question of whether they will schedule titles for Q4 in order to bolster the Scorpio launch, or will they go for a more spread out release schedule? History would suggest the former, but since the Scorpio can also be marketed as a massive upgrade to existing XBO games, I'm not ruling out the second option either.

Also, Scalebound is gonna need a marketing push I don't believe some other first-party releases are gonna have, so me listing it as something in its own quarter is a whole lotta optimism on my part.

I think Scalebound and Sea of Thieves will be late Q3 or Q4 releases. Not sure where State of Decay 2 will land, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's late 2017 as well.

I'm kind of hoping Turn10 takes a break next year. If they release Forza Motorsport 7 that will be 3 Forza Motorsport games in 4 years, plus 2 Horizon games. 5 Forza franchise entries in 4 years. Ugh. Give it a rest for a year or two and try something new before returning to it, or do some kind of update for Forza Motorsport 6 that brings new tracks and cars with some new visual updates plus VR mode.

Completely forgot about State of Decay 2, and yeah I could see a reality where Scalebound and SoT are both in the second half of 2017, but I really hope overcrowding doesn't cause these game to stumble right out of the gate anymore than something like SB already is.

Agree with the Forza assessment as well but I cant see them not having something big for the Scorpio.

blakep267

Ok, I meant generally. Like they don't have multiple announced games sitting for years

By not being as competitive during the first 6 months of next year as they have been during the last 4 months.

2017, not early 2017. They weren't any more specific than that.
I'm pretty sure Shannon Loftis said early 2017 when she was talking about it. Besides it's a port. I don't expect it to take ages to be done

EmiPrime

Q2 2017- Phantom Dust HD/ Voodoo Vince HD

Q4 2017- Sea of Thieves (maybe a closed beta Q3)

Q4 2017- Scorpio
Scorpio launch- Scalebound
Scorpio launch- Crackdown 3
Scorpio launch- Turn10 Project
Scorpio launch- State of Decay 2

Chris1

Even if that ends up being the situation, It still wouldn't shake things up too radically in terms of release schedule.

So now it would look like

February- Halo Wars
Q2 2017- Scalebound
Q3 2017- Sea of Thieves
Q4 2017- Crackdown 3
Q4 2017- Turn10 Project
Q4 2017- Scorpio

The big two ??? on the list are Scalebound and Sea of Thieves.

I highly doubt either will be delayed, its more of a question of whether they will schedule titles for Q4 in order to bolster the Scorpio launch, or will they go for a more spread out release schedule? History would suggest the former, but since the Scorpio can also be marketed as a massive upgrade to existing XBO games, I'm not ruling out the second option either.

Also, Scalebound is gonna need a marketing push I don't believe some other first-party releases are gonna have, so me listing it as something in its own quarter is a whole lotta optimism on my part.

Completely forgot about State of Decay 2, and yeah I could see a reality where Scalebound and SoT are both in the second half of 2017, but I really hope overcrowding doesn't cause these game to stumble right out of the gate anymore than something like SB already is.

Agree with the Forza assessment as well but I cant see them not having something big for the Scorpio.
IMO i think Scalebound should come out at the holidays. Give it the main console bundle for the holidays and that's a guarantee 2m+ people that will have the game and will be talking about it which should help its sales through word of mouth. Otherwise that games gonna bomb harder than Recore, and all 10 people that bought the game isn't gonna do much for word of mouth even if the game is absolutely amazing.

EmiPrime

I'm pretty sure Shannon Loftis said early 2017 when she was talking about it. Besides it's a port. I don't expect it to take ages to be done

Nope. 2017!

I'm hoping it will be part of a broader OG Xbox revival and maybe even including BC. I think/hope the scope is bigger than they're letting on (more than just 2 ports) and that's why it's taking longer.

The first game was ace back in the day so I hope this one delivers. It and FM7 will do me nicely on Scorpio launch day.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the physics after the early promises too.

Pif

Banned
This is my hope as well.

February- Halo Wars
Q2 2017- Scalebound
Q3 2017- Sea of Thieves
Q4 2017- Crackdown 3
Q4 2017- Scorpio

That still looks very sparce of a list.

Hopefully crackdown will deliver and cloud processing enabled games will become more norm.

No way Microsoft would put out a Scorpio exclusive game on day one.

The whole point of having these Pro/Scorpio system updates is to follow an Apple/Smartphone upgrade model where older devices can still play everything, but the newest system will just play them better.

I honestly don't think we'll start seeing PSPro or Scorpio exclusive games until the NEXT system updates come out (Pro and Scorpio 2), which is when I can see them begin to justify the stopping of XB1 and PS4 OG/Slim compatibility.

Zeta Oni

IMO i think Scalebound should come out at the holidays. Give it the main console bundle for the holidays and that's a guarantee 2m+ people that will have the game and will be talking about it which should help its sales through word of mouth. Otherwise that games gonna bomb harder than Recore, and all 10 people that bought the game isn't gonna do much for word of mouth even if the game is absolutely amazing.

While I do think its a possibility that it might actually happen, gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. Mainly because Scalebound is a new IP, and a Japanese developed one at that.

Releasing SB alongside games like Red Dead Redemption 2 and everything else coming out during the next holiday season, even as a pack-in, would do not a thing for word of mouth, because every mouth is gonna be talking about the heavy hitters that are long since established.

Even other MS titles like Crackdown 3? They are a much more known quantity. Even if there's a lot of questions surrounding Crackdown 3, you still have David Jones at the helm with two previous entries people interested can go check out. They have fans that are gonna come even during the holidays and buy their games. Scalebound has none of that, and even if it ends up critically acclaimed, releasing it during the holiday and hoping the word of mouth is so good it gets some serious legs is just a lot more risky.

Imo, it needs as much breathing room as possible for a release date (Q2 2017 in this case), a solid marketing push, a demo beforehand, good reviews, a really big Scorpio patch, and to be made a pack in.

And even that still might not be enough for it to be a "success"

Phantom Dust wasn't canceled?

Officially it was put on "Hold"
(probably canceled)
if I'm not mistaken, while they look around for another dev.

But they did announce a port of the original is coming to XBO and W10 back at E3, so I'm guessing they are using that as an interest gauge.

fritolay

Is it still even using the cloud anymore?

I know we had that destruction tech video a year or so ago showing off the power of the cloud....but considering how almost 4 years after the hyping of the xbones ability to suoer charge games with it,and nothing really coming from it,i pretty much expect that aspect to be dropped.

Yes power of the cloud in theory could work I thought. But maybe it is too dependent on client connection speeds for what they wanted to accomplish.

Deadbeat

Banned
Remake was cancelled. HD port of original being delivered in its place.
Thats what it should have been to begin with. Port the game and then judge by sales if a sequel is worthwhile or not. Did they really need three years to figure this out?

Besides nintendo, everybody announces stuff to early. EA announcing Star Wars games not coming out for 2-3 years, Sony with their last 2 e3 conferences, MS with QB and crackdown etc

Nintendo is most certainly not exempt from this. I'll be playing Zelda four and a half years after Aonuma first started talking about it and three years after its first trailer.

As for Crackdown 3 and the rest of MS's first party offerings, I actually think they should hold as many games as they can until Scorpio's launch. Give consumers a bunch of great reasons to invest in that hardware on day one.

Chris1

Imo, it needs as much breathing room as possible for a release date (Q2 2017 in this case), a solid marketing push, a demo beforehand, good reviews, a really big Scorpio patch, and to be made a pack in.

This would be ideal but by the time scorpio launches the game will be dirt cheap and the bundle will lose any perceived value it would have had. Plus MS always puts in a new game with holiday bundles this gen, the only way for Scalebound to get a holiday packin would be to release during the holidays imo.

Scalebound is a unique situation, does it really matter if it sells 30k instead of 100k because it released in the holidays? nah the games bombed either way, but at least during the holidays it'll have the mass pack in bundle to fall back on and help it. And since there will actually be people with the game talking about it, it might actually increase normal sales higher than what they would have been aswell.

RoKKeR

I don't expect Sea of Thieves next year, and it would probably be in Scalebound's best interest to not launch in the holiday slaughter in 2017. (aka RDR2 will destroy everything in its path)

I also expect to see a Scorpio event happen sometime in May before E3... run us through the details plus a few more games, and then have E3 be completely dedicated to the games.

I really hope that T10's next project isn't a Motorsport game. I don't know what it is that I want, but I think another Motorsport game in such rapid succession would feel strange. Will be interesting to see what the lineup will be for next year.

I also wonder if we'll see Rare's "other" game teased as well. Lots of unknown about next year.

sirronoh

Just my opinion but I don't see Scalebound selling anywhere near 2 million. So to some extent, I agree with you that releasing it during the holidays might get it more attention. At the same time though, we have very real recent history that says that most games easily get lost during this time of year. Based on the quality of what we've seen so far, Scalebound looks doomed no matter what.

For whatever reason, the majority of Xbox One first-party games this generation have been super hyped before release and then exposed as either good but not mindblowing (Forza, Gears, Halo) or thoroughly average and in some cases forgettable (Quantum Break, Recore). Scalebound and Sea of Thieves both look like they are trending towards the latter. We'll see though.

Cartho

That would directly go against what Greenberg said in August this year:

we're not going to have console-exclusive games for Project Scorpio. It's one ecosystem--whether you have an Xbox One S or Project Scorpio, we don't want anyone to be left behind

They've worked hard to win back gamers' trust, I doubt they'd want to blow a load of it that quickly. Xbox One already has a much smaller install base than PS4, no way will they want to fragment that even further.

It makes more sense for them to have games which have a scorpio mode and an Xbox One OG mode, and then when they release their next major hardware (Xbox Two or whatever it's going to be called) it will be b/c with OG and scorpio games, and have games which run on both it and scorpio, but not the OG xb1. So then games will also have 2 modes - Xbox Two and Scorpio.

That's my prediction anyway.

Alot will depend on what SoC they have crammed into Scorpio. With rumours flying around that it might NOT actually be using a Zen based architecture, and that it could therefore still be using some heavily upclocked Jaguar variant, it likely won't be as mindblowing as people are thinking.

If, however, they've managed to secure some exclusive deal to get a semi custom, Zen based SoC for it before AMD lets anyone else get their hands on it then it could well present a big leap. If it's still using some crappy Jaguar CPU then it doesn't matter what kind of GPU they put in; 60 FPS will still be difficult to achieve in CPU demanding games.

Bsigg12

Na, the Scorpio version will be significantly better though. They're going to ensure compatibility for all Xbox Ones for at least 2-3 years post Scorpio release.

Top Bottom