• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 - Review Thread

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I played for about 1.5 hours. The IQ is clean. The shooting is ok. The platforming is good when the camera doesn't screw you. The sound is good, except the NPC who scream stuff out of context. Not sure if I'll finish it, it is kind of the same thing over and over. Maybe the city has variety and the game evolves to make it interesting. It is kind of Crackdown 1.5, but this day in age the simple game play is not really enough for a $60 AAA game. It's probably more fun in co-op, that is how I played the first game. My co-op buddy sold his XB1 years ago, so it's just me this time :(

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I played for about 1.5 hours. The IQ is clean. The shooting is ok. The platforming is good when the camera doesn't screw you. The sound is good, except the NPC who scream stuff out of context. Not sure if I'll finish it, it is kind of the same thing over and over. Maybe the city has variety and the game evolves to make it interesting. It is kind of Crackdown 1.5, but this day in age the simple game play is not really enough for a $60 AAA game. It's probably more fun in co-op, that is how I played the first game. My co-op buddy sold his XB1 years ago, so it's just me this time :(
You played for 1.5 hours and its the same thing over and over? Pretty sure CD3 is longer than 1.5 hours, my dude. Lol. Not doubting you but....maybe you didnt give it long enough.

iconmaster

Banned
Releasing a game that will knowingly get critically panned is somehow supposed to bolster their cloud business?

I think it was more about avoiding another black eye on the Xbox One brand after a long string of black eyes. That it’s being panned doesn’t especially matter: Microsoft promised cloud-based destruction and by gum, there’s now something resembling that.

DryvBy

I'm having a lot of guilty pleasure fun with this. It feels like Crackdown 1 remastered and that's about it. But I'm fine with that. Definitely not a system seller.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Critics bashing it that hard to me is as impossible to understand as the treatment that Darksiders 3 received tbh. Feels like I'm completely disconnected with the expectations of the industry at times its super weird

It appears that the reviewers are saying that it feels outdated.

It's been years since the last Crackdown game was released and what many people are saying (even on this message board) is that it feels like the old Crackdown.

This may be great for many Crackdown fans, but as times goes on, the bar is usually set higher by other games and staying in the past can leave people feeling underwhelmed. What also has a negative impact is the story and characters. If the game is under that bar that has been set, then it's probably going to receive lower score than its competition.

Xenon

So I put about an hour into it, some thoughts

Jumping is good but I'm just starting off. They added a boost and an air dash. I like it! Also you can scurry up walls by pressing toward them. It's a nice little tough that helps you get that few extra feet when you need it.

The image quality is good very good on a 4k screen. I'm playing on agent 2 of 4 difficulty. Lock on is center mass but you can focus to choose body parts, but each weapon that a different range for when you scan. Still getting a feel for the weapons. The cryo grenade is pretty cool.

On the downside things do look a bit sparse. Lots of four lane roadways without that many cars on them. Also it's weird that the agent doesn't seem to have much weight when landing. Especially when it's from a pretty high distance.

Overall very happy with what I've seen and looking forward to getting better and ramping up the difficulty which is what made the original game shine.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The auto aim is beyond ridiculous, it literally locks onto the target and never lets go. Just hold left trigger, then hold right trigger until the thing in front of you stops shooting at you. There is nothing to the moment to moment gameplay. If you're into that kind of thing that's totally fine, but it looks and plays like the first Crackdown and imo we should demand more from our games 12 years later.
I guess it depends on what you're looking for. It's not like this is a military shooter or a simulation game. Or that video games as a whole have evolved in any meaningful way in the last decade. It's arcade action.

LMJ

I've been playing for over 4 hours and I can say a few things...

#1 I can't understand scores of 5 or 6 thus far based on the campaign, Unless something drastically changes in the game soon, I would give it a 7 or 8 just on the campaign...

#2 Despite what some have said the gameplay has evolved, in the few hours I've played, I have taken down numerous enemy strongholds and while I've shot generic enemies I've also , had to deal with robotic enforcers, had to take down chemical pumps so that the weak point was exposed, had to take down multiple batteries to take down a force field so I can fight a boss, have been able to deal with enemies in multiple different ways with multiple different status affecting weapons, all while bouncing around and dashing picking up orbs and being entertained with a very well and stylized story thus far.

Meanwhile in Crackdown 1, I shot at enemies taking down strongholds, shot at more enemies took down another stronghold shut down steongholds and drove through enemies took down more enemies and strongholds, with very Same-y weapons ranging from explosives to standard guns. All while bouncing around picking up orbs and becoming more superhuman the evolving being the real carrot on a stick.

Don't get me wrong, I love the gameplay in Crackdown I love the first one despite its faults, I truly enjoy the general gameplay Ark they do we have to take down mini bosses to take down the big boss, and the evolving mechanics, but Crackdown 3 is very much evolved from the first one with far more variety,.

oh I don't think it's a classic and the world does feel a little simplistic at times, but I'm having a blast and will certainly buy this after playing it on Game Pass.

It's a shame this game sales have almost certainly been hurt by the terrible reviews that I feel are honestly unjustified, the game is no Miracle but I hardly think it is mediocre or worse.

Anyway that's my two cents, now if you'll excuse me I have more Crackdown 3 to play LOL:messenger_beaming:

Mokus

No, realistically, 5 is average, 6 is above average, 7 is good, 8 is great, 9 is almost perfect and 10 is fecking incredible.
5 was never in the gaming history an average score, and I have to point out that these days "game jurnalists" tend to score certain average and below average games higher.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
5 was never in the gaming history an average score, and I have to point out that these days "game jurnalists" tend to score certain average and below average games higher.
I guess he confused average with median... median ina a 1-10 scale is indeed 5.

Average is the average of what all games scores that is around 7.5.

Last edited:

Sygma

It appears that the reviewers are saying that it feels outdated.

It's been years since the last Crackdown game was released and what many people are saying (even on this message board) is that it feels like the old Crackdown.

This may be great for many Crackdown fans, but as times goes on, the bar is usually set higher by other games and staying in the past can leave people feeling underwhelmed. What also has a negative impact is the story and characters. If the game is under that bar that has been set, then it's probably going to receive lower score than its competition.

See that's exactly what I don't get : Crackdown is all about player's agency. Its not about the story, at most you get a context and by then you make your own story by taking down objectives / bosses which in turn are giving you more control over some aspects in the game. For example if you go for the transports logistics guy first, for the remaining of the game the enemies wont have as much vehicles. If you go for the railway, you wont have to deal with the defensive turrets roaming around the city on the railroads etc.

Like there is a story that is tied to all the decisions you make and no playthrough is the same unless you decide to take down the bosses in the same order over and over. But there's also an actual story with lore to find out and whatnot. Also the amount of possibilities you get to do things (as in fucking around) has been tremendously augmented in CD 3.

So, actually offering a story and everything would remove the absolutely liberty you're meant to experience. Its exactly like BOTW, there's a story if you want to see it but you're absolutely not forced to take that path if you don't feel like it

As is its good old crackdown with much more options than before. Absolutely not worthy of a 5/10 in my opinion

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
See that's exactly what I don't get : Crackdown is all about player's agency. Its not about the story, at most you get a context and by then you make your own story by taking down objectives / bosses which in turn are giving you more control over some aspects in the game. For example if you go for the transports logistics guy first, for the remaining of the game the enemies wont have as much vehicles. If you go for the railway, you wont have to deal with the defensive turrets roaming around the city on the railroads etc.

Like there is a story that is tied to all the decisions you make and no playthrough is the same unless you decide to take down the bosses in the same order over and over. But there's also an actual story with lore to find out and whatnot. Also the amount of possibilities you get to do things (as in fucking around) has been tremendously augmented in CD 3.

So, actually offering a story and everything would remove the absolutely liberty you're meant to experience. Its exactly like BOTW, there's a story if you want to see it but you're absolutely not forced to take that path if you don't feel like it

As is its good old crackdown with much more options than before. Absolutely not worthy of a 5/10 in my opinion

The problem with this is that there IS a story in the game, even though it's not like what you see in a game like Gears of War, The Last of Us, or Halo. People may have fun taking down sections of the game and rescuing the city, but there are people who think that needs to be some motivation behind it.

That being said, the story is not major focus, but it would no doubt help.

The main issue is the gameplay that people are having a problem with. The game can still make the game feel like Crackdown if they made changes that would appeal to more gamers. Different animations, improved gameplay mechanics, a better looking environments.

Dlacy13g

I think Crackdown 3 will scratch a certain itch for about 1/4 of gamers who try it and the rest it wont. Crackdown success isnt really about the combat. It never has been and yet so many want it to be about that. Crackdowns appeal has always been about the traversal to get orbs, and the euphoria you get in getting more orbs in difficult places and your abilities increasing with every orb gathered. It's because of this that Crackdown 3 will resonate with a number of gamers because it gives them those core tenants with better graphics and better Fidelity of movement. Realistically though it needed to be able to do more for reviewers to score this better and to be a success commercially with gamers in general.

Grinchy

Banned
IGN separately reviewed the Multiplayer on its own

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/02/16/crackdown-3-multiplayer-review

4/10
A score like that doesn't surprise me. While I think the campaign is pretty bad, at least it justifies its own existence.

The multiplayer is just so terrible. It looked boring and pointless before trying it out, but it was actually even worse while playing it myself. There isn't even an initial "wow factor" that can wear off with the destruction. It starts on a dull note and ends on a duller one and I have no idea who would choose to continue playing it after a few rounds.

ethomaz

Banned
I don’t think reviews I read give the low scores due story specifically.

That is nothing that set a part the game in terms of gameplay, characters, design, animation, etc.

The game lacks identity and it is pretty uninspiring.

Last edited:

Gavon West

I think Crackdown 3 will scratch a certain itch for about 1/4 of gamers who try it and the rest it wont. Crackdown success isnt really about the combat. It never has been and yet so many want it to be about that. Crackdowns appeal has always been about the traversal to get orbs, and the euphoria you get in getting more orbs in difficult places and your abilities increasing with every orb gathered. It's because of this that Crackdown 3 will resonate with a number of gamers because it gives them those core tenants with better graphics and better Fidelity of movement. Realistically though it needed to be able to do more for reviewers to score this better and to be a success commercially with gamers in general.
Im not so sure its not going to be successful. A lot of people are coming around to it who are playing the game for themselves. And, Im still waiting to hear if the rumors of Crackdown selling over 1 million copies in its first 24 hours is true. I think this game is going to have much longer legs than people think. And it may just end up being a huge success

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I don’t think reviews I read give the low scores due story specifically.

That is nothing that set a part the game in terms of gameplay, characters, design, animation, etc.

The game lacks identity and it is pretty uninspiring.

The reviews I'm talking about in particular are the ones who were not satisfied with a lack of Terry Crews outside of the opening cut-scene and others who have complained about the lackluster story. A better story wouldn't make the game jump from 6 to 8 on MC, but I think it's one thing you check off when you're trying to improve this game.

Terry Crews has a good personality and he can be a funny actor when he needs to be. If the game focused on him and he had funny dialog throughout the story, then I think more people would be more interested in the campaign. Like, before every boss fight, he just talked sh*t and cracked jokes.. I think they will make people entertained and wanting to progress through the story to hear what he has to say next.

But again, this would be small parts when it comes to improving the game, but I know something like this would be more appealing to a casual audience.

I bought RE2 remake and havent picked it up past my initial 2 hourr playthrough. Today, Ive put in 6 hours into CD3.

To each his own I suppose. This shit is super fun

Dlacy13g

Im not so sure its not going to be successful. A lot of people are coming around to it who are playing the game for themselves. And, Im still waiting to hear if the rumors of Crackdown selling over 1 million copies in its first 24 hours is true. I think this game is going to have much longer legs than people think. And it may just end up being a huge success

Hard to read the mood of gamers on it but I do agree it grows on you. Just spent a good 3hrs lost hunting orbs.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
MS still radio silent after this disaster?

I'm sure they're going to announce 1 million players soon to give this game some good PR.

Other than that, Aaron Greenberg is doing the best he can. Doesn't surprise me he would share a known Xbox fanboy's YT review.

Super fun game.

Those screenshots look stunning. I still haven't tried it - must do tonight.

lol at the mainstream gerstmann man-babies

It looks just as good as that trans2077 game coming out soon, and probably better because here you can destroy the whole map like in Minecraft.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
I'm having a lot of guilty pleasure fun with this. It feels like Crackdown 1 remastered and that's about it. But I'm fine with that. Definitely not a system seller.

That is a really mature outlook on things.
Not every game need to be the best ever, not every game needs to be loved by everyone else.
You like the game with all its flaws? I salute you. Bravo, playing games you like and enjoy is all it is about.

Myself, aside from DS3, I am super happy when I play EDF or DukeNukemForever. I don't care what others think. To me these are near perfection. And I love them.

Better clarify my position before I get banned for my lightweight parody trolling. My above posts are totally sarcastic for those without a sense of humour and whose sole purpose in life is to argue the quality and value of a videogame they don't own on a message board.

Grow up you Sony/PC trolls. You got nothing better to do but this? It's a videogame, get over yourselves. Especially you iconmaster iconmaster , and that user with the Hidjomo Kidjomo avatar, how old are you both? 12?

Honestly, the game is a great addition to Game Pass and the Xbox catalogue, Sony will probably copy Game Pass soon anyway, and I look forward to playing a stunning looking modern arcade action exclusive.

GAF is the best gaming community on the web, so you think we'd show a little bit more tolerance and welcoming of popular games and games from all developers (except mobile: mobile is evil /s). So long suckers!

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
People would've originally needed to think highly of Crackdown 3 for it to be considered a disappointment.

Everyone expected this to happen.
Not really, you should read a few threads before this one, even in this thread some folk have expressed disappointment.......And no matter what anyone says, most fans did not expect a score of 60, they expected a higher score than that.......I mean yes, some persons definitely saw this coming, but some people were banking on CD3 to change MS's critical slump a bit, yet it reviewed much worse than all the other MS exclusives that came before it....

BigLee74

I've had more fun in 2 hours with crackdown 3 than I managed in 20 hours of red dead 2 before I dumped it due to boredom. Ratings are meaningless. Games are subjective.

thelastword

Banned
IGN separately reviewed the Multiplayer on its own

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/02/16/crackdown-3-multiplayer-review

4/10

"Once you’ve played a couple of matches, you’ve seen it all. No matter which of the 21 agent skins you select, everyone’s movement and damage is effectively the same, and there’s no character progress of any kind, so that never changes. Every match plays the same every time, and Wrecking Zone’s combat just doesn’t have the depth or nuance to sustain itself for long without anything around it."

"Once you’ve played a couple of matches, you’ve seen it all. No matter which of the 21 agent skins you select, everyone’s movement and damage is effectively the same, and there’s no character progress of any kind, so that never changes. Every match plays the same every time, and Wrecking Zone’s combat just doesn’t have the depth or nuance to sustain itself for long without anything around it."

Troll. What you fail to take into account is that is 21 different skins of Fun. It's just Fun. Reviewers don't understand Fun. Fun cannot be a numerical value. Fun is Fun. Did I mention Fun? Fun.

Last edited:

Sygma

Those screenshots look stunning. I still haven't tried it - must do tonight.

lol at the mainstream gerstmann man-babies

It looks just as good as that trans2077 game coming out soon, and probably better because here you can destroy the whole map like in Minecraft.

honestly the digital foundry video is where its at. i like how people are saying it doesnt look good without actually playing it because its absolutely night and day going from compressed footage to the actual thing maxed out in 4k. GTA 3 lol ... it has best in class global illumination, hdr, shadows and very good material tech that makes everything very easy to distinguish even in the busiest happenings ...

when you re trapped in lockdowns while being downtown it looks insane, no more no less. Even more so at night

Last edited:

Stuart360

honestly the digital foundry video is where its at. i like how people are saying it doesnt look good without actually playing it because its absolutely night and day going from compressed footage to the actual think maxed out in 4k. GTA 3 lol.
To be fair, i have also thoght the game looked bad in pretty much all other vids i have watched. The DF 4k vid kind of blew me away a bit, it just shows you how shit Youtube can make games look unless you are encoding at 4k to get that higher bitrate, The game looks great in the DF vid.

MadViking

I just tried it on game pass. Deleted after 15 minutes, it's terrible. Ps. You want to play actually good game like this, play infamous.

EBE

Yeah, multiplayer is worthless. Had a go at a couple matches of both modes and that's enough for me.

honestly the digital foundry video is where its at. i like how people are saying it doesnt look good without actually playing it because its absolutely night and day going from compressed footage to the actual think maxed out in 4k. GTA 3 lol ... it has best in class global illumination, hdr, shadows and very good material tech that makes everything very easy to distinguish even in the busiest happenings ...

when you re trapped in lockdowns while being downtown it looks insane, no more no less. Even more so at night

Cool, thanks, I've got both games installed and look forward to playing. No time unfortunately for all the good games these days! Plus too much time wasted being here (in a good way)!

thelastword

Banned
Troll. What you fail to take into account is that is 21 different skins of Fun. It's just Fun. Reviewers don't understand Fun. Fun cannot be a numerical value. Fun is Fun. Did I mention Fun? Fun.
I get it......it's fun.....Yet, sometimes I wonder if this is an intended result from MS? It seems the lower their Meta Score, the more fun their games are, so does fun escalate the lower you go? Perhaps then, their next game will be a 50 Meta, then 40, 30......but the upside is that the "Fun Factor" will be upshot immensely....

I get it......it's fun.....Yet, sometimes I wonder if this is an intended result from MS? It seems the lower their Meta Score, the more fun their games are, so does fun escalate the lower you go? Perhaps then, their next game will be a 50 Meta, then 40, 30......but the upside is that the "Fun Factor" will be upshot immensely....

I get what you are saying.

And I was totally joking with that post as "fun" is the last bastion of subjectivity when all else fails. Kind of like the reasoning "fun with friends" with Fallout 76 (which the reception of this game reminds me of). Technically almost everything is even marginally more fun with friends. I don't mind people having fun with things but... my god, it's like a parroting meme at this point.

Last edited:
You really have no business in an Xbox game thread. We all know you loathe MS and will say anything in 5 paragraphs to skew your angle towards your shilling goals. You'll never play the game. You was never planning on playing the game. These efforts are futile and no one ever believes your drivel.

Gavon West

You really have no business in an Xbox game thread. We all know you loathe MS and will say anything in 5 paragraphs to skew your angle towards your shilling goals. You'll never play the game. You was never planning on playing the game. These efforts are futile and no one ever believes your drivel.
#Facts

Calibos

Love all the drive by shitposting Sony people. They should be reply banned to be honest.

Really, if you play this game for less than 3 hours, there is no way you can have any sense of it. You would not have leveled any skill significantly enough to feel as bad ass as you should.

There are soooo many cool things you can do as you get stronger and level more that I think people are really missing the point. The IGN reviewer states the he used the same beam weapon through the whole game...how freaking boring as a gamer.

Everything is more and more fun as you level and explore. Like, grab a ramp truck, set up a jump, order up the fast agency car, attach some limpets to it, jump it towards an enemy compound, eject like fucking Batman , land on top of the building and blow the car up. Ground pound down to knock enemies over. Pick up a car door to block bullets. Throw that door at the biggest guy. Shoot a few guys in the face with your shotgun by targeting their heads, clean up with your nade launcher. Snipe the guy arriving first from the bounty squad with your charge up sniper rifle...Then punch the last hurt outpost holder and watch him explode into a red mist because you took the time to level up your god damn strength...

This game rocks as a true sandbox combat game...so much good shit in it.

Is it an 8 or a 9 critically...? Not by the way that reviewers seem to be playing it, but I am having an 8 or 9’s worth of fun in it! People on both sides wanted to hear the reviews to push agendas and flame the wars...it’s too bad that an actual fun game is getting lost in the shuffle. If it didn’t have a stigma attached and was an ID@Xbox release, it would probably be grabbing 9’s.

I wish this thread had more Gifs too!

Top Bottom