• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 Wrecking Zone Gameplay Trailer.

Solo Act

It could be fun, but the destruction seems kind of superficial from the trailer. At the show they mentioned players running across a bridge, so you shoot the bridge out from under them.

The problem with that is there's really no fall damage in Crackdown, and it doesn't seem like debris can crush or injure players. For that reason, it looks neat graphically, but I don't know how it really impacts anything. If the debris never disappeared that might help change the arena I suppose (giant piles of trash), but I'd bet on it disappearing after a few seconds.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
the destruction looks awesome...power of the cloud i guess?
Apparently they're still powering the destruction server side. It's definitely scaled back though. I forget which E3 it was but they were showing off the entire city and they had something like 6 servers powering different sections of the city.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Apparently they're still powering the destruction server side. It's definitely scaled back though. I forget which E3 it was but they were showing off the entire city and they had something like 6 servers powering different sections of the city.
oxdruas.gif

The destruction is heavily downgraded.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Yeah that destruction isn't gonna be any more than eye candy.

It's really neat eye candy, but what impact would it have on the gameplay aside from minorly inconveniencing players? The game just doesn't look like it's designed around making use of destruction like that.

Fbh

Still somewhat looking forward to the single player.

But being on the game pass will probably really help the multiplayer of this. What they have shown so far looks like a game that would otherwise be a wasteland after 2-3 months

Still somewhat looking forward to the single player.

But being on the game pass will probably really help the multiplayer of this. What they have shown so far looks like a game that would otherwise be a wasteland after 2-3 months

Yeah will Game Pass it, but my expectations could hardly be lower. That said, GP is an awesome that way to try without risk. Love it.

alienator

Reading back this article after watching the above video makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

I thnik red faction guerrilla has better destruction than what they show in the above video. u know, that 2009 game.

Inviusx

Honest opinion, it looks like the kind of game that comes out as a launch title, something that exists only to showcase the power of a console. A 10 player shooter with destructible environments seems so quaint in 2018, let alone 2019 when they launch alongside Anthem.

Not really much else to say.

JimiNutz

Banned
It looks like it could be a fun time but considering how much scepticism there is surrounding this game they really needed to show more.

This game needed a big showing of both SP and MP. They showed barely anything last E3 and I thought this was gonna be the games 'coming out party' especially since its so close to launch now. We've still seem barely anything of it and that is worrying.

mike4001_

It looks like it could be a fun time but considering how much scepticism there is surrounding this game they really needed to show more.

This game needed a big showing of both SP and MP. They showed barely anything last E3 and I thought this was gonna be the games 'coming out party' especially since its so close to launch now. We've still seem barely anything of it and that is worrying.

They need also to show the campagn properly.

We don't even know how a mission in Crackdown 3 looks like ...

Ravi_elite

Banned
Sounds like this game needs to take a page from the original Red Faction. That game had nowhere near the graphics this game does. However its destructability had purpose and felt amazing in multiplayer.

Stuart360

I remember watching a video of this ages ago and thinking it looked awful. This trailer actually looks pretty good, especially if it really is 60fps.

cryptoadam

Banned
They showed this time ago.

I know they are going for a certain aesthetic, and I am sure it probably has a good frame rate and resolution but that looks very last gen/launch game.

This game was always probably vapor ware and MS just wanted a talking point and power of the cloud at an E3. Now that they actually have to make the game well it is what it is. Good thing you can get it on Game Pass and decide from there.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think this explains why i thought the game looked awful. I really hate the cell shaded look here. The new look in this trailer is great, it looks miles better than this old video.
I personally love cell shaded graphics in games like Gravity Rush and Ni no Kuni but I also don't like how its done here.

Last edited:
This game really does still look quite rough, and I don’t have a lot of interest in it. But I will definitively give it a shot on Game Pass and see if I like it.

RPS37

Why are they showing video of the FINAL BOSS in previews?!
Edit: after watching a video I guess it’s because it would be available from the get-go. Getting rapidly unhyped by the minute.

Last edited:
This looks beyond bad. For things like this I cannot get any hype by Microsoft's acquisitions if this is their idea of a flagship franchise (as they have been telling for long)

Kanton

So the cloud actually functions... lol, was wondering where the cloud memers went. Not so sure about multiplayer, singleplayer looks a ton of fun though.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
This looks beyond bad. For things like this I cannot get any hype by Microsoft's acquisitions if this is their idea of a flagship franchise (as they have been telling for long)
Can you explain? What about this looks bad? Joke post?

SU2uxLl.gif

Last edited:

Gavon West

Yeah, what happened to this? This game has been “Anthemed” - yes I’m coining it.
Frankly, if you look at this gif and compare the latest videos of the MP, the massive buildings toppling over wouldve been SUPER messy to play in. Of course Microsoft did say that they had to scale back - their ambitions at the start may have been a bit much, but I couldnt imagine actually playing on a map with that much destruction and still enjoying the experience. No damage control - just an observation.

Deuterion

They scaled it back so far that it it isn’t what we were shown originally. We were shown a destructible city and this is more like a destructible VR playground. The textures are super simple and ugly as hell.

HeresJohnny

I remember dudes arguing vehemently that this game would show the true power of the cloud and how foolish everyone was for doubting Microsoft. I don’t need to say anything else other than eventually you have to deliver on all the PR and it doesn’t look like that’s happened. I also don’t like that they’re showing a focus on multiplayer. I still have mine preordered and plan to get it, but there are some warning signs.

I think the people that seriously or ardently argued the power of the cloud were obviously not being realistic and hanging on to the last vestige of hope that the xbox one could somehow use the cloud to compensate for its lack of specs compared to the ps4. This game has had serious struggles with development and it's long been known that it would likely not deliver on the original premise. I guess now that it's finally releasing it's time for everyone to come out and say, "see see I told ya so!!" But there has been 5 years for people to get over their fake outrage and to let crackdown fan's expectations return to reality. Currently, I don't see any xbox fans saying, "omg this game is gonna blow you away," but you'd think they were saying that based off all the drive by posting. I think most fans of crackdown 3 are simply saying it could still be a fun game and the claims that the game looks like garbage are greatly exaggerated. it looks like a crackdown game pure and simple.

Last edited:

Gavon West

I remember dudes arguing vehemently that this game would show the true power of the cloud and how foolish everyone was for doubting Microsoft. I don’t need to say anything else other than eventually you have to deliver on all the PR and it doesn’t look like that’s happened. I also don’t like that they’re showing a focus on multiplayer. I still have mine preordered and plan to get it, but there are some warning signs.
There's more than few clips of SP as well.

I can see your point that the Cloud destruction has been downgraded but, the tech is real in what's on offer. Still nothing like it out there. I find it very impressive and it gives me hope for future titles for sure.

Can you explain? What about this looks bad? Joke post?

Yes it does. Compared to any AAA game by TODAY STANDARDS it looks poor. I mean, we have read dozens of threads on the infamous "downgrades" of GOW, Spiderman (those puddles lol) and the likes and now we have to give this a pass?

Microsoft has made great looking games like Quantum Break, Gears of War or Forza Horizon. Those are high standards. Also Sunset Overdrive looks very nice on its own colourful tone. This one? No.

If you are making a game based on realistic destruction, it must look realistic as well, not as if cities were made of Nintendo Labo.

Gavon West

I think the people that seriously or ardently argued the power of the cloud were obviously not being realistic and hanging on to the last vestige of hope that the xbox one could somehow use the cloud to compensate for its lack of specs compared to the ps4. This game has had serious struggles with development and it's long been known that it would likely not deliver on the original premise. I guess now that it's finally releasing it's time for everyone to come out and say, "see see I told ya so!!" But there has been 5 years for people to get over their fake outrage and to let crackdown fan's expectations return to reality. Currently, I don't see any xbox fans saying, "omg this game is gonna blow you away," but you'd think they were saying that based off all the drive by posting. I think most fans of crackdown 3 are simply saying it could still be a fun game and the claims that the game looks like garbage are greatly exaggerated. it looks like a crackdown game pure and simple.

Agreed.

I'm not really sure what the problem is from this point. An Uncharted game is still an Uncharted game regardless if it's the first or the fifth for example. Essentially the art style and game play loops stay the same with a few new additions and new story. The graphics are usually better.

Crackdown is still Crackdown with the same ingredients. I mean, seriously.

Top Bottom