• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 Wrecking Zone Technical Test Coming on February 7 for Xbox Insiders

McCheese

Seems sensible to be honest, they built quite a lot of Azure stuff just around this one game. The initial tech demos looked amazing but I wonder how it scales as more players come online, will it lower the physics complexity, start relying on the native GPU/CPU more, or just allocate more Azure resource to it. The latter can get pretty expensive pretty quickly, the game could become quite costly to run if the multiplayer mode really takes off.

The only similar situation I can think of was the Watson voice AI support in Bridge Crew, they (Ubisoft) turned that off after around a year due to on-going costs and the game no longer supports it.

Last edited:

Jaw1love

Banned
played it. was actually pretty fun. Some issues though, framerate stuttering (On Xbox One X) could be connection related as there was a connection meter in the corner showing I had a "poor connection" lol.
Animations are also pretty rough, that's my biggest complaint. movement and such just didn't feel smooth, could be due to the frame hiccups as well. Graphically it actually looks really nice. Was suprised by that. It's just a really crisp image. The environments, at least in multiplayer, are super flat and boring, there supposed to be "simulation" type looking environments. But everything was sharp seeing shit blow up was really cool.
I think if they finally got the tech working this could have a lot of potential. I know this isn't what they hoped to be releasing as a final product but the development was basically hell, hopefully it gets good engagement on Gamepass and MS keeps updating it

Had a play round with it....game is pretty fun and you can really cause some mayhem

Game is very floaty and reminiscent of the mid 2000 shooters so it takes some getting used too

People will probably still pick the shit out of it as it was delayed and people are expecting a 60fps 4K eyeball melting game but what we have is a pretty fun death match type game which reminds me of Gary’s mod

Kagey K

Banned
After a couple rounds I can officially say the multiplayer is much better then I expected, and I had very few hopes for it.

I don’t know how bad the earlier test was, but I’m not getting the jitter some other people were complaining about.

If you are on x go to HDR settings and just touch the paper white dial, for some reason it’s super dark when you first load it. I do hope they have better HDR calibration in the final game, as it expects you to know your tv specs with no background to help in this test.

Xenon

Not feeling it. Everything lacks weight and all the locators icons floating everywhere were distracting. Wasn't interested in MP, this didn't change anything.

Kagey K

Banned
Not feeling it. Everything lacks weight and all the locators icons floating everywhere were distracting. Wasn't interested in MP, this didn't change anything.
I asked you in the other thread and I’ll ask you here did you play the previous 2 games?

Xenon

I asked you in the other thread and I’ll ask you here did you play the previous 2 games?

Loved the first one and recently finished it again. Wasn't planning on it just wanted to take a look at it in 4k, next thing I knew I play it all the way through it. I couldn't finish the second, hated the freak mobs.

The test felt different to me like the gravity was set lower something.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Loved the first one and recently finished it again. Wasn't planning on it just wanted to take a look at it in 4k, next thing I knew I play it all the way through it. I couldn't finish the second, hated the freak mobs.

The test felt different to me like the gravity was set lower something.
I wasn’t a fan of 2 either, but the traversal felt similar to the first in this test. Also remember you are starting with max level agents for this test.

I think the single player is going to be much similar to CD1 then most of us imagined.

I also think you probably didn’t do so well in the multi because you didn’t know how to handle your agent yet.

You should give it a few more games and try to figure out some tactics.

Xenon

Okay I think I know what happened now. When I started up the game I couldn't see anything but the HUD and menus. I restarted and went in and change the HDR settings and I could see my agent on the select screen. I thought the problem was resolved. But I just watched a video of the test. The graphics I saw were nothing like that. now that I think about it everything was built out of a variation of blues. It also probably explains why the destruction was unremarkable because I probably wasn't seeing all of it.

Last edited:
Went in with low expectations and came out completely sold. This is wonderful, classic gaming fun. When both teams are really going at it, the destruction is an incredible sight to behold. The traversal gameplay is everything I loved about Sunset Overdrive. Game is incredibly fun and addicting with every game sucking you in further, trying to figure out how to out maneuver and destruct the enemies hold ups. Really impressed. I'm buying this game where before I wasn't planning on it. I'm actually mad I couldn't play longer than the 2 hours I got. Lol

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Okay I think I know what happened now. When I started up the game I couldn't see anything but the HUD and menus. I restarted and went in and change the HDR settings and I could see my agent on the select screen. I thought the problem was resolved. But I just watched a video of the test. The graphics I saw or nothing like that. now that I think about it everything was built out of a variation of blues. It also probably explains why the destruction was unremarkable because I probably wasn't seeing all of it.
If you have an X and HDR you need to go to graphics settings and move paper white in either direction once. Otherwise the game is dark as shit and you can’t see nothing.

I do appreciate that you criticized a game that you were basically blind in and gave it the business you did.

Last edited:

Xenon

If you have an X and HDR you need to go to graphics settings and move paper white in either direction once. Otherwise the game is dark as shit and you can’t see nothing.

I do appreciate that you criticized a game that you were basically blind in and gave it the business you did.

I said that I adjusted the HDR settings to see and was able to fight but most of the buildings were all built out of blue. Plus my team won =D. That didn't change how floaty it felt, even for a crackdown game.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Went in with low expectations and came out completely sold. This is wonderful, classic gaming fun. When both teams are really going at it, the destruction is an incredible sight to behold. The traversal gameplay is everything I loved about Sunset Overdrive. Game is incredibly fun and addicting with every game sucking you in further, trying to figure out how to out maneuver and destruct the enemies hold ups. Really impressed. I'm buying this game where before I wasn't planning on it. I'm actually mad I couldn't play longer than the 2 hours I got. Lol
Yep! Using destruction and buildings to dodge incoming fire is much deeper than expected. I'm actually surprised its as good as it is. It's crazy how one game might have destruction galore - the next - mostly agents legit going for the badges. You can forget about camping in this game. Might find yourself in the building while its going down. Lol

Bursting through walls is insane. Life saver for real, when someone's got a lock on you.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Seems sensible to be honest, they built quite a lot of Azure stuff just around this one game. The initial tech demos looked amazing but I wonder how it scales as more players come online, will it lower the physics complexity, start relying on the native GPU/CPU more, or just allocate more Azure resource to it. The latter can get pretty expensive pretty quickly, the game could become quite costly to run if the multiplayer mode really takes off.

The only similar situation I can think of was the Watson voice AI support in Bridge Crew, they (Ubisoft) turned that off after around a year due to on-going costs and the game no longer supports it.
Allocate more Azure servers. All destruction is handled by the Cloud as I understand it. The more players in a game and the more destruction, the more servers boot up to handle the load. Pretty impressive stuff!

Kagey K

Banned
Yep! Using destruction and buildings to dodge incoming fire is much deeper than expected. I'm actually surprised its as good as it is. It's crazy how one game might have destruction galore - the next - mostly agents legit going for the badges. You can forget about camping in this game. Might find yourself in the building while its going down. Lol

Bursting through walls is insane. Life saver for real, when someone's got a lock on you.

Meh, it can’t be fun, the internet told me so.

Stop liking what I like.

I thought I would hate the PVP, but I think it’s actually really smart the way they did it. It takes me back to some old school Halo bunny hop matches.

Gavon West

Meh, it can’t be fun, the internet told me so.

Stop liking what I like.

I thought I would hate the PVP, but I think it’s actually really smart the way they did it. It takes me back to some old school Halo bunny hop matches.
Exactly this! Feels like such a fresh new take on MP shooters, the way Halo C.E. did when it first released.

Jaw1love

Banned
I should have taken more captures but was too busy blowing things up. This game really does look freaking cool when you're playing. It's got potential, will have to see how the full release ends up
giphy.gif

RPS37

I can’t believe I’m barely hearing about this test. Needless to say, running to download right now.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I should have taken more captures but was too busy blowing things up. This game really does look freaking cool when you're playing. It's got potential, will have to see how the full release ends up
giphy.gif

Stop posting pics of destruction, they already told us it doesn’t happen in the game.

Last edited:

Alx

giphy.gif

Yes when you're in the middle of a crumbling building things get quite impressive.
I was having small issues with the controls though, sometimes I was doing a ground pound when going for an air dash, and was never sure if I had used my second jump or not. The multiplayer seems fun, but I'm not sure there's enough to keep me interested in the long run. But having it in the game pass is perfect, you could go back to it whenever you wish.

II_JumPeR_I

This MP just feels so tacked on and pointless... would have been more impressed if such destruction would happen in the campaign in a entire city not some small arena

JimiNutz

Banned
From what I've read the reaction seems mostly positive. I'll be really pleased if this ends up being good and may be tempted to pick up an X.

From my early download the MP is smooth 60fps however until everyone else gets the game we won't know if that sticks with tons of players in the servers.

But the destruction is no joke.

Gavon West

60fps on top of that destruction?? I think next gen starts early.
Depends on your connection, the destruction should be pretty stable. That's not something your local hardware has to really worry about with Cloud tech. The destruction is streamed basically. Local hardware handles everything else so the FPS should be pretty optimal in most cases.

Xenon

How are people feeling about the enemy indicators? The combination of that and lock on is a bit much for me. I think maybe making the agent have to stop and send out some sort of ping that hs that effect would be better.

Inviusx

The more I see the more it starts to bug me that things crumble so sloooowly, like someone hits slo mo everytime a building falls over.

Gamernyc78

Banned

I still don't see the awesomeness lol and all tht muddy brown Def reminds me of a last Gen game. I know your very Xbox centric lol so we might be seeing diff things depending on the wearer of glasses.

In the end of you enjoy it thts all tht matters. I will be getting ganepass for the first time to try it but ppl are very split on this game based on demo and that hyperbolic cloud destruction seems to have been a waste of resources based on the results according to many.

Last edited:

Gavon West

How are people feeling about the enemy indicators? The combination of that and lock on is a bit much for me. I think maybe making the agent have to stop and send out some sort of ping that hs that effect would be better.
Nawh. You gotta play it. The indicators need to be there. The action is frantic and fast paced with a group of gamers who can play. Even the lock-on isnt a guarantee that you'll hit your target. If the player knows how to maneuver, you'll waste entire clips trying to kill them. No way you could play this game without either one.

The more I see the more it starts to bug me that things crumble so sloooowly, like someone hits slo mo everytime a building falls over.

It falls slowly because despite what IGN says, it really makes the individual pieces fall with heft and weight. Couple that with the sound and it's actually very impressive and feels formidable. Even moreso when the building is crumbling down around you. There really isnt anything like it at the moment.

Gavon West

I still don't see the awesomeness lol and all tht muddy brown Def reminds me of a last Gen game. I know your very Xbox centric lol so we might be seeing diff things depending on the wearer of glasses.

In the end of you enjoy it thts all tht matters. I will be getting ganepass for the first time to try it but ppl are very split on this game based on demo and that hyperbolic cloud destruction seems to have been a waste of resources based on the results according to many.
The split is closing after the test yesterday. Not sure what you mean there.

And Me being Xbox centric has nothing to do with what I see. It may not look photo realistic but it's super clean and colorful with amazing draw distance. The style is its own. I dig it. I mean, put this up against something like Gears or GoW and its no contest. But this game isnt any of those, nor is it trying to be. It just is what it is and its not trying to disguise itself or pretend to be something it isnt. It's just Crackdown - but better.

I like Crackdown.

Gamernyc78

Banned
The split is closing after the test yesterday. Not sure what you mean there.

And Me being Xbox centric has nothing to do with what I see. It may not look photo realistic but it's super clean and colorful with amazing draw distance. The style is its own. I dig it. I mean, put this up against something like Gears or GoW and its no contest. But this game isnt any of those, nor is it trying to be. It just is what it is and its not trying to disguise itself or pretend to be something it isnt. It's just Crackdown - but better.

I like Crackdown.

I get what your saying. I'll be trying it out when it releases to form my own opinion. As long as I have fun Im good.

Calibos

Another Tech test is scheduled for Sunday, mid-day for insiders BTW. So if anyone missed this one, be sure to go to the hub and download. More captures please!!!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The number one thing I can say about the multi after playing it vs watching it, is that the tech is outstanding.

until you actually get your hands on it and sort of break down in your mind how you want to watch this building go down, then see how it actually falls vs what you expected is where the game will hook you.

Destruction tech has been around for awhile now so just seeing it isn't going to sell you on it.

It's like destruction is BF series. Once you have that moment of like...I'm going through this wall fuck it...you don't quite understand it.

Same here. Just seeing the chaos you can create is the journey.

Calibos

Lots of tech test footage around.

This one has some great destruction highlights.

Last edited:

Codes 208

There were still some shots that looked relatively muddy or flat but I’ll give credit where its due and that’s how it looks much better than it did two years ago. Now it looks a bit more on par with other cel-shaded games like sunset overdrive.

I’m still going to give it a shot via gamepass but I’m a bit more enthusiastic about it.

Top Bottom