• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown for Xbox One (Cloudgine, original director, UE4)

EBE

That might deserve a new thread. Way too big of a coincidence for MS to show off this tech at build and announce Crackdown with cloud destruction a few months later.

spencer confirmed it after the post show to a fan asking a question about it.

I hope it's not a remake of Crackdown 1. Same boss from CG trailer was in the first crackdown. I was hoping for a new city...

Shaneus

Um, so with this and Horizon 2 it looks like I'm buying an Xbox One.

Fuck.

Maybe they should announce a new PGR game.

Gazunta

I am sure I remember this building in the lower right from Crackdown:

34WXyxm.jpg

That might deserve a new thread. Way too big of a coincidence for MS to show off this tech at build and announce Crackdown with cloud destruction a few months later.

When I saw that demo back at //Build, I knew it had to have been a prototype from Crackdown. Especially since they kept on heavily hinting at it being something from an actual product in production. I do remember their thread back during //Build... I remember reading it as a few people were grasping at straws to discredit the demo.

Edit: Oh yeah, also they released a better and longer video of the demo after the fact. You can find it Here. Wish I could find it on Youtube, but I dont know where to even begin after trying a couple searches.

sangreal

I hope it's not a remake of Crackdown 1. Same boss from CG trailer was in the first crackdown. I was hoping for a new city...

well david jones did say it was a whole new campaign. trailer also indicates it is not set in pacific city (the agency compares the agent to those in pacific city)

Shaneus

well david jones did say it was a whole new campaign. trailer also indicates it is not set in pacific city (the agency compares the agent to those in pacific city)
Wait, David Jones is back at the helm? Is this as a part of Realtime Worlds, Ruffian or something other team entirely?

I'm so happy! This could have been the only announcement today and I would have walked away happy with my purchase. Now for the excruciating wait :S

Crackdown games have barely broken 1 mil sales...

The first one did like 1.5 million. It also didn't have a strong marketing push and not many expected much from it. My group of friends bought it only for the Halo beta and were surprised how amazing it was. We ended up barely touching the beta. I'm sure this was the case with a lot of people.

Crackdown 3! If they can keep the exact same feel of the first, huge city, and destruction... This can do great numbers with the right marketing. And orbs. Need Orbs. Can't forget the orbs.

as I posted in the other thread:

you should know cloudgine is a company focused in cloud computing, and David Jones is the founder of the company. as fas as I researched back in the day ntkrnl leaked all the info Cloudgine is not a gaming company, but they have some interesting cloud computing solutions.

from last 20th of May: http://www.developer-tech.com/news/2014/may/20/cloudgine-microsofts-secret-xbox-one-sauce/

Microsoft has made a big deal about utilising the Cloud for gaming this generation to differentiate it from the last and open up brand-new opportunities to scale experiences beyond what localised hardware can handle. This is all well and good but beyond a (pretty impressive) demonstration on how the technology can be used in the future – the company hasn’t yet gone into details on how they will help developers implement it into their titles.

According to leaked information, a company called Cloudgine will play a part in Microsoft’s E3 conference this year. On their website they describe their technology as "delivering rendering and processing power from the cloud, allowing game developers to define new ground-breaking online gaming mechanics".

Hip Hop

Glad to see that gangs are back and they are on an even playing field.

It was ridiculous that the agency pretty much made them look weak.

kind of weird to call it that and not crackdown 3.only two titles and 7 yr old franchise unless they are doing what they did with halo last year.

Shaneus

as I posted in the other thread:

you should know cloudgine is a company focused in cloud computing, and David Jones is the founder of the company. as fas as I researched back in the day ntkrnl leaked all the info Cloudgine is not a gaming company, but they have some interesting cloud computing solutions.

from last 20th of May: http://www.developer-tech.com/news/2014/may/20/cloudgine-microsofts-secret-xbox-one-sauce/
Very interesting. But that's what makes it weird, is that he's not working at a gaming company but this non-gaming company is (I guess) heavily contributing tech to a game franchise he used to work on. That's weird.

Thanks to the others for letting me know! Do we know which dev *is* actually working on it?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
As much as I'd like to get excited, Dave Jones doesn't have a good track record when it comes to online games.

I expect this will be in development for a long long time.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So the environments will be completely destructible then based off that build demo?

God that would be INSANE. Those orbs will be mine. Oh yes, they'll be mine.

DOWN

Banned
How does this prove the cloud is any better than when we all poked holes in the idea? It still means this game likely has to be online only to get optimized and will have some very unfortunate variables due to connection quality.

shandy706

OP should update topic with this

Update topic....this needs to have a thread of its own....that's awesome.

So the environments will be completely destructible then based off that build demo?

God that would be INSANE. Those orbs will be mine. Oh yes, they'll be mine.

Not if you knock down the building that's needed to get to it. LOL

Might fall with it though....so maybe one would want to knock down a building.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Wow destructible environments with loads of explosive barrels = FTW

Who remembers the creative mode which allowed you to spawn things, all those barrels in a row being exploded. They better include it again, can't remember if Crackdown 2 featured it.

This is gonna be so awesome and one of the first of many early cloud-driven games to come. Guess that'll be a problem for some, but I think the majority will benefit, especially as developers get better at making it work for a variety of connections and uses. Bring it on.

weeeeezy

Banned
How does this prove the cloud is any better than when we all poked holes in the idea?

It shows that you have a lot more computing power than just your local console.

It still means this game likely has to be online only to get optimized and will have some very unfortunate variables due to connection quality.

Yes the game might require you to be online, but a lot of games require this these days. If your connection quality is bad then I'm sure you are not really playing any games online anyway, so maybe its not for you.

Top Bottom