• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown for Xbox One (Cloudgine, original director, UE4)

Leflus

Ruffian's already categorically said they're not involved this time around. Who's Reagent Games?
New studio in Dundee. It was founded by an ex-Realtime Worlds dev in august 2013. More people started joining the studio in late 2014. It's still a small studio though.

I would expect most of Microsofts games moving forwards to sooner or later to be cloud based online games
Yeah... I know. :( "Games as a service" and all that jazz

MMaRsu

Banned
Cologne job listing described it as an open-world MMO, you should set your expectations base on that. Whether it really it really is "massively multiplayer" or a bit smaller like 8 or so players I have no idea but it sounds like this isn't for you.

Just because I find only only games very problematic doesnt mean this game isnt for me.

When the servers gets shut off, nobody can play this game anymore. Not sure why that would be a positive thing for one.

There really arent that many advantages to having your game be always online.

jem0208

Just because I find only only games very problematic doesnt mean this game isnt for me.

When the servers gets shut off, nobody can play this game anymore. Not sure why that would be a positive thing for one.

Well, looking at what they're doing with Crackdown I think that's completely false. There's no way current hardware would be able to manage the scale of destruction they seem to be implying.

Leflus

Well, looking at what they're doing with Crackdown I think that's completely false. There's no way current hardware would be able to manage the scale of destruction they seem to be implying.
We haven't seen the game in motion yet. Tech demos are interesting, but I will have to see gameplay before I can make up my mind about "the power of the cloud".

iMax

New studio in Dundee. It was founded by an ex-Realtime Worlds dev in august 2013. More people started joining the studio in late 2014. It's still a small studio though.

Ah, I see. Yeah, some ex-DMA/Ruffian/RTW people there.

pj

Banned
Thanks guys :) Maybe I can show u a small tech snippet within the next few weeks. Can't promise tho.

I expected much more "platforming" answers, so that's interesting. It helps to get a better understanding of expectations.

On another note, the latest installment is known to be heavily supported with the cloud(TM). Yayaya ... That stupid cloud talk again ;) I know you can not hear it anymore. What I want to say though is: your local gaming mashine does not have enough calculation power to run our game engine. I think we always communicated it that way and there is no reason not to be honest here. If you want to deliver something that has never been done before in that kind of scale, then you can not make compromises. We totally know that there are huge risks involved. But this is the route we will take. We are super confident here and can't wait to get out of the dark.

Platforming is probably the key part of crackdown. It facilitates everything else good about it

Kampfheld

Banned

Personally, I can totally understand that there are huge doubts. I'm not an idiot. Too many games did things wrong or communicated something wrong. People want to see what cloud computing can be used to in gaming. So give a chance at least on showing this. I think that would be fair.

It's up to us to deliver on your bolded sentence. Again - personally - I want to see you playing this game really thinking "holy SHIT why doesn't my mashine burn already?". We want to achieve this. And we're working super hard to get to that point.

More later this year. Thanks again!

MMaRsu

Banned
Personally, I can totally understand that there are huge doubts. I'm not an idiot. Too many games did things wrong or communicated something wrong. Give us a chance at least. I think that would be fair.

It's up to us to deliver on your bolded sentence. Again - personally - I want to see you playing this game really thinking "holy SHIT why doesn't my mashine burn already?". We want to achieve this. And we're working super hard to get to that point.

Well ofcourse I will give you guys a chance. Even the benefit of the doubt. Id love to play this new Crackdown game and be blown away, seriously. I just have some doubts I guessabout the always online nature of the game.

But you're right, I hope the game turns out amazing and I cant wait to see/hear more though.

And for me personally one of the biggest things I loved about Crackdown was the changes between stars. Especially the agency vehicles that would transform. I loved those transformations!

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I can totally understand that there are huge doubts. I'm not an idiot. Too many games did things wrong or communicated something wrong. People want to see what cloud computing can be used to in gaming. So give a chance at least on showing this. I think that would be fair.

Can't wait mate, one word to describe Crackdown? Vertical.

MacBosse

Now this teasing makes me curious.

Most importantly, since Crackdown was a third-person-orb-hunter game for me firstly I'm wondering how a fully destructable enviroment would work since that would put quite a big risk on people blowing away structures they need to climb to get to them sweet sweet orbs. Maybe the orbs fall down (no fun). Maybe the structures reset after a time (kinda disturbes the continuity of the game).

Hmmmm questions questions.

Well, Killer Instinct is a "Games as a service" thing, its meant to be regular new content not specifically online although its not been positioned very well outside of multiplayer games. There arent many developers that have delivered consistent and timely single player content well though, perhaps that will change sooner or later.

I'd rather Cloudgine and partners made the game they wanted to than force it to be offline, if you don't like the fact that its an online cloud game your options are severely limited and you should get used to it because that is the direction is games are heading, especially after Destinys success (well, sales success not sure much else about the game can be considered a "success").

Leflus

Well, Killer Instinct is a "Games as a service" thing, its meant to be regular new content not specifically online although its not been positioned very well outside of multiplayer games. There arent many developers that have delivered consistent and timely single player content well though, perhaps that will change sooner or later.
Hmm. True enough. Killer Instinct was handled in a good way. There's just something about the term "games as a service" that rubs me the wrong way I guess.

MMaRsu

Banned

I'd rather Cloudgine and partners made the game they wanted to than force it to be offline, if you don't like the fact that its an online cloud game your options are severely limited and you should get used to it because that is the direction is games are heading, especially after Destinys success (well, sales success not sure much else about the game can be considered a "success").

Lol Thats just a bunch of nonsense. Destiny doesnt even use a cloud in any way. Its all p2p. Theres absolutely no reason Destiny needs to be online only either.

Its not the direction games are heading at all.

The fact that Destiny sold so much, also has nothing to do with the fact that its an online only game.

iMax

Hmm. True enough. Killer Instinct was handled in a good way. There's just something about the term "games as a service" that rubs me the wrong way I guess.

There's nothing inherently wrong with "games as a service". It's only when publishers charge full whack for it, as if it was a standalone product. That's what tends to anger people.

Lol Thats just a bunch of nonsense. Destiny doesnt even use a cloud in any way. Its all p2p. Theres absolutely no reason Destiny needs to be online only either.

Its not the direction games are heading at all.

The fact that Destiny sold so much, also has nothing to do with the fact that its an online only game.

Its a AAA online only game, its the way the industry is heading, see Fable Legends, Evolve, The Division, Battleborn... I'm sure there will be plenty more games this generation and that I've missed some.

You call it nonsense, it just sounds like you're sticking your fingers in your ears and blocking out whats in front of you. I notice how you ignored my point about them making the game they wanted as well.

Destiny shows an online only AAA game as a regular retail product will sell on consoles, developers can (and will) start merging the single and multiplayer together in that space whereas before the were generally two separate products in the same game.

Also I didn't say anything about Destiny using the cloud...?

VinFTW

Platforming, orbs, platforming, orbs, platforming, orbs.

UPGRADES, upgrades, upgrades...

Yeah, not 1 word Kamp, but you get the gist.

Its a AAA online only game, its the way the industry is heading, see Fable Legends, Evolve, The Division, Battleborn... I'm sure there will be plenty more games this generation and that I've missed some.

You call it nonsense, it just sounds like you're sticking your fingers in your ears and blocking out whats in front of you. I notice how you ignored my point about them making the game they wanted as well.

Destiny shows an online only AAA game as a regular retail product will sell on consoles, developers can (and will) start merging the single and multiplayer together in that space whereas before the were generally two separate products in the same game.

Yeah, I've noticed all these online only games coming out recently and more to come soon tag with HUGE AAA titles (Division being one) where they all make it a point that if you're connected your experience will be 1000 times better.

Krakn3Dfx

I don't care if it's always online as long as I can just play through by myself. I rarely want to bother with playing with other people, from time to time I'll do it for an achievement or trophy, but that's generally about it.

Loved the original Crackdown, would term it as "addictive".

Sequel was hot garbage. Hopefully the new devs figure out how to bring the magic of the original without sacrificing new console tech too much. If it requires 2-4 people to play tho, I'm out, sorry. Nothing personal, just not my cuppa tea.

MMaRsu

Banned

Destiny would have sold the same if it had been offline compatible. maybe even more.

Just because Microsoft is banking hard on cloud based games or online only does not mean the rest of the industry will too.

Fable Legends.. I doubt it will sell much compared to previous Fable games. The same goes for Evolve. Doesnt Evolve have an offline mode with bots though?

The Division is the only game im mildly excited for, but given the fact its a Ubisoft game it will probably be boring as hell when all is said and done. They havent even shown us real gameplay just some vertical slices.

Battleborn. Do we even known anything about this title?

Just because a few games are always online does not mean the industry is moving in that direction at all. Just becaus multiplayer turned huge doesnt mean that offline games wont be able to exist or be profitable. Skyrim sold a shitton, it had no multiplayer to speak of.

And to return to your previous point which you said I ignored, ofcourse devs shouls make the game they want to make.

One word to describe Crackdown? Hmm...I see platforming and vertical have been taken, so I will say development. The way your character grows over time by collecting orbs to power up and become an unstoppable force. It's quite satisfying.

I can't wait to see it!

Heigic

I have no problem with an always online game if I get a better experience from it. If always online is not for you there is like 500 other games you can buy instead.

TheYanger

Online only if the cloud is doing something is vastly different than 'online only' as a form of DRM or to force multiplayer down our throats. Surely people realize that. Like, if you couldn't make this game offline, then by all means.

Also, Crackdown cannot be described in a word. there's probably still a demo for the original on the 360, I'd try it if you're curious. Just know that you become so absurdly powerful in the game and it's so gradual and natural, it is the perfect reward for exploration. The original game had a lot of room for improvement, but the core gameplay was so god damn fun that nobody cared.

Ape

Banned
Oh god, please please listen to this man, also the natural progression of leveling up. Also the tiered bad guy system from CD1 alongside the nemesis system would be boss.

Progression is a great word for his association game.

Leflus

/sadface

Doesn't Fable Legends and Evolve have single player modes? In what way does always online benefit those games? It doesn't make sense to me.

Destiny would have sold the same if it had been offline compatible. maybe even more.

Just because Microsoft is banking hard on cloud based games or online only does not mean the rest of the industry will too.

Fable Legends.. I doubt it will sell much compared to previous Fable games. The same goes for Evolve. Doesnt Evolve have an offline mode with bots though?

The Division is the only game im mildly excited for, but given the fact its a Ubisoft game it will probably be boring as hell when all is said and done. They havent even shown us real gameplay just some vertical slices.

Battleborn. Do we even known anything about this title?

Just because a few games are always online does not mean the industry is moving in that direction at all. Just becaus multiplayer turned huge doesnt mean that offline games wont be able to exist or be profitable. Skyrim sold a shitton, it had no multiplayer to speak of.

And to return to your previous point which you said I ignored, ofcourse devs shouls make the game they want to make.

Ok, well what about 3 big companies like Valve, Epic and Crytek are also now seemingly only making F2P or online only multiplayer games - DOTA2, Fortnite, Hunt, Arena of Fate, Warface... Crytek sold Homefront and don't appear to be making anymore Ryse to focus on their F2P/online games.
Its not just Microsoft, a lot of others are moving that way too, the industry is definitely moving over to online connected world games in different variants, not everyone will do it but that is the direction things are headed generally.

Oxn

This game and Halo 5 is the reason I bought the XO.

Now that I dont care for Halo 5 anymore. This is the ONLY game my XO has to look forward to this year. It will be relatively untouched.

Bessy67

/sadface

Doesn't Fable Legends and Evolve have single player modes? In what way does always online benefit those games? It doesn't make sense to me.
I'm pretty sure they said you could play Fable Legends with 3 AI heroes against an AI villain. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't require you to be online though.

MMaRsu

Banned
Sure and what about the 100s of developers not making online only games. You seem to be so sure that the industry will move towards online only, just like all those publishers ( like Crytek ) thought f2p was the next big thing.

Crytek has already said they are going back to developing full fledged games which will be sold in retail. So not just online only games. And we'll have to see how their f2p titles turn out.

Online only is made mostly because they dont want you to pirate their game. It has nothing to do with the possibilities in the game itself.

Now with Crackdown that might be different because they rely on cloud computing so yeah

But no i dont believe for one second the industry as a whole is moving towards online only. Not for a second.

I'm pretty sure they said you could play Fable Legends with 3 AI heroes against an AI villain. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't require you to be online though.

When I played it at a preview event last year they had a laptop hooked up to make the game think it was connected to XBL as it needed an internet connection to run... whether that has changed since then I don't know. Its clearly built as a multiplayer game though

Flappy

Banned
If it turns out that you can't even play single player mode offline, then I will not be buying.

My internet craps out too much for that.

At least give an option to play offline with a few less features.

alouette

/sadface

Online coop truly makes games more fun, imo. If online functionality is used for more technical power, it would also be more fun for me, because I'm interested in technology per se - so I'd love to see, what will be possible with this "still new" way.
Of course, I have to wait for friends, when I want to play online - it's the same, as when we're playing a board game at home. This fact makes a game sometimes more worthy, because the time we spend with it is more entertaining, than playing it all alone - this sounds paradoxical, but the lesser time this sort of gaming is available, makes it even more interesting, when it really starts.

Technical problems, as disconnects or network failures, are not meant with this, of course.

But in these "8 hour games" times it's sometimes a good thing to wait for friends and have a good gaming session, which will be more remembered later on, than rushing through, like we all actually do sometimes.

One of my favorite moments in gaming ever was climbing to the top of the agency building with a friend. While we gazed into the beautifully rendered background I kicked him off the edge and watched him fall for what seemed like a very long time. Verticality is the word.

Leflus

Online coop truly makes games more fun, imo. If online functionality is used for more technical power, it would also be more fun for me, because I'm interested in technology per se - so I'd love to see, what will be possible with this "still new" way.
Of course, I have to wait for friends, when I want to play online - it's the same, as when we're playing a board game at home. This fact makes a game sometimes more worthy, because the time we spend with it is more entertaining, than playing it all alone - this sounds paradoxical, but the lesser time this sort of gaming is available, makes it even more interesting, when it really starts.

Technical problems, as disconnects or network failures, are not meant with this, of course.

But in these "8 hour games" times it's sometimes a good thing to wait for friends and have a good gaming session, which will be more remembered later on, than rushing through, like we all actually do sometimes.
I get your point if you're referring to Crackdown 3. I'm disappointed that it's online only, but you're free to disagree with me.

They haven't said anything about cloud computing in FL or Evolve though. As far as we know they're just regular games running on regular hardware.

I agree with you that co-op is very fun btw, but I also like to have the option of playing my games offline if I want to do so.

Rembrandt

Banned
One of my favorite moments in gaming ever was climbing to the top of the agency building with a friend. While we gazed into the beautifully rendered background I kicked him of the edge and watched him fall for what seemed like a very long time. Verticality is the word.

Oh my god, this brought back memories. Fuck, crackdown was an amazing game.

iMax

This game and Halo 5 is the reason I bought the XO.

Now that I dont care for Halo 5 anymore. This is the ONLY game my XO has to look forward to this year. It will be relatively untouched.

Plenty of websites are quoting 2015 for Crackdown. No idea what their source is, however, as nothing official at all has been announced regarding a date.

Oh my god, this brought back memories. Fuck, crackdown was an amazing game.
You could throw cars. You could throw a car with you buddy in it. You could kick a car into gangs. You could kick a car into your friend. There was a car that could drive up buildings.
There was a fucking car that could drive up buildings!

The only downside of the game was no proper boss fights and boring mission structure. The platforming was fun, the shooting was fun, the driving was fun and the kicks and abilities were fun. Not many games have given such a sense of power but it was playing the game and grabbing orbs that unlocked it. Brilliant game design.

Bring your epic destruction but bring these things back as well.

Guys, I could need a little help over here :)

If you have to describe your Crackdown experience in one single word - what would that be?

Thanks in advance agents and have a great weekend!

ORBS.

But which I mean running and jumping and climbing tower blocks and skyscrapers to get that sweet, tantalising green orb.

Then jumping off the roof into the middle of a gang to fuck their shit up.

Top Bottom