• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrackDownGrade 3 Confirmed | 201`5 vs 2019

It's not downgraded, that was never the game.

They already discussed this in detail, this was a proof of concept not really attached to anything, this was the peak of what could be done. They had to build an actual game out of this though, they had to leverage the amount of acceptable compute usage for the game to allocate from the cloud, they had to look at the scope of the world, what was in it and what kind of gametype could be formed from it. I mean as cool as this looks a bunch of obstructive rubble everywhere doesn't make for a fun game, it makes for a bunch of shit you're going to get stuck on, in and frustrated with.

AnotherOne

I hate to say it but if people thought that demonstration was real clearly are naive as fuck.. also I think the game looks fine, sure it doesn't look as good like in the tech demo but that's like 90% of games..just how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xiaoki

Crackdown 3 downgrade
That was always pretty clearly a proof of concept trailer.
Anthem downgrade
John Lee Packard said:
I know it was naive as hell but I truly did believe the game was going to look like the reveal trailer (at least on a high end PC)

I'm sad that version of the game was a lie.

The narrative surrounding the Crackdown 3 downgrade and the Anthem downgrades are quite different.

The Crackdown 3 downgrade was just a "proof of concept" but with Anthem they LIED to us.

This is why I cant take any outrage over "downgrades" seriously, it happens all the time but people only get outraged over it when its a game they dont like.

Crackdown 3 downgrade

Anthem downgrade

The narrative surrounding the Crackdown 3 downgrade and the Anthem downgrades are quite different.

The Crackdown 3 downgrade was just a "proof of concept" but with Anthem they LIED to us.

This is why I cant take any outrage over "downgrades" seriously, it happens all the time but people only get outraged over it when its a game they dont like.

To my eye, one was clearly just a CG trailer, the other tried to make you think it was in game footage, they literally said Anthem was "running on an Xbox One X", they said no such thing about Crackdown 3.

Crackdown 3 downgrade

Anthem downgrade

The difference being Crackdown 3's developers openly discussed these things...

jadedm17

This is sad.

Red Faction: Guerrilla is a third-person shooter video game developed by Volition and published by THQ. It was released for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in June 2009 and for Microsoft Windows in September 2009.

Worth noting for awesome destruction based physics even in multiplayer - By comparison this is just ridiculous.

that was never the game.

"Crackdown 3 will blowup the way you play.... will introduce a revolutionary experience"
"If you find a wall... take away geometry"
"Once you do enough damage it all comes crashing down.... its all physical

GTFO with that nonsense, if thats not what it was meant to be then they sure didn't talk like that for years now.
Language is powerful and they said it will not we hope it will be.

[QUOTE="Xiaoki, post: 253783418, member: 8156"
This is why I cant take any outrage over "downgrades" seriously, it happens all the time but people only get outraged over it when its a game they dont like.[/QUOTE]
As in we care about what we will or were gonna buy? Yea, people open charities for diseases that effect them, that makes sense so I'm not sure what you're saying?
I'm not familiar with the Anthem downgrade - and don't care about most since that happens - but this isn't a small visual downgrade, this is the core of the game, this is big in that sense of what's been promise for years ; Delaying this long and still not delivering? Ouch.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Crackdown 3 downgrade

Anthem downgrade

There is a quite a bit of difference that posters before me pointed out. I never really thought Ceackdown 3 was going to be what they showed years ago. It’s common sense that games change, downgraded are inevitable a lot of times when devs get too ambitious beyond the limitation of consoles. CD3 2015 in particular was more or less saying what they wanted to do and that it’s in development.

I don’t know wtf happened with Anthem, they clearly stated the game was running in the XboxOne X, maybe they weren’t lying, maybe they were. Shit maybe it was running on the Xbox one X dev kit, for all I know.

Xiaoki

To my eye, one was clearly just a CG trailer, the other tried to make you think it was in game footage, they literally said Anthem was "running on an Xbox One X", they said no such thing about Crackdown 3.
Then your eyes didnt watch the video in the OP.

The initial Crackdown 3 destruction trailer was most definitely not presented as CG. But, they also gave several presentations of the destruction after the initial trailer, none of which accurately represent the final game.

You would know this if you bothered to watch the video.

Make all the excuses you want to try and protect the game you like for some odd reason but Crackdown 3 was downgraded.

This is sad.

Worth noting for awesome destruction based physics even in multiplayer - By comparison this is just ridiculous.

"Red Faction Guerrilla"

mj.png

LegalKeyKatydid-size_restricted.gif

UnfitRedFunnelweaverspider-size_restricted.gif

DisfiguredHeavyAruanas-size_restricted.gif

Y'all need to get some perspective of your own instead of lobbying behind the ignorance of YouTube personalities who are presently getting egg on their face.

xStoyax

Banned

They literally are playing a demo if you watch the video. How would that be CG?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Clearly a downgrade. The original was probably some high end PC and not "the cloud" and now they had to simplify.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

They already discussed this in detail, this was a proof of concept not really attached to anything, this was the peak of what could be done. They had to build an actual game out of this though, they had to leverage the amount of acceptable compute usage for the game to allocate from the cloud, they had to look at the scope of the world, what was in it and what kind of gametype could be formed from it. I mean as cool as this looks a bunch of obstructive rubble everywhere doesn't make for a fun game, it makes for a bunch of shit you're going to get stuck on, in and frustrated with.

That's not entirely true. It was a tech demo, but they presented as something you could expect in the final game.

We said it has to be 100% destructible. It has to be - Crackdown was all about everywhere I see, I can go. You know, infinite - kind of you know - right to the edge of the map. You know and if there's a car there they can take it, drive all the way across and leave it there and drive all the way across and its still there. So that's a big part of Crackdown and we said players will expect the same thing in this; I can look as far as I can see and everything I can see I can get to and if I want to that could be a mile away and still blow that building up.

There's many things in this interview that were filled with empty promises, so yes, it was downgraded.

There's also more.

Q: Will we be able to pickup some debris from the building like rocks and such to use against opponents?
A: You will absolutely be able to pick up rocks and such you know and debris to use against your opponents that's one of the big things you absolutely have to do in the game.

He also goes into detail about taking down a building and making a bridge to cross a river.

They advertise this game as 100% destructible, something that you would expect in the final game.

Then your eyes didnt watch the video in the OP.

The initial Crackdown 3 destruction trailer was most definitely not presented as CG. But, they also gave several presentations of the destruction after the initial trailer, none of which accurately represent the final game.

You would know this if you bothered to watch the video.

Make all the excuses you want to try and protect the game you like for some odd reason but Crackdown 3 was downgraded.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about the E3 2014 video.

Grinchy

Banned
It does look like it's a bit of a shame what the multiplayer turned into. I'll be able to try it out this friday to see for myself but I'm more interested in the single player anyway.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Doesn't matter to me how it looks. Matters how it plays. While it would be great if it looked awesome that isn't a requirement for me. Playing awesome is.

Additionally I think this whole downgrade BS needs to end. Games almost never live up to target renders, much less target renders for a game that has gone through development hell. It isn't news when another game doesn't. It should only be news if they actually do live up to and/or exceed those years-old target renders.

We have one technical test on 1 map that clearly has demonstrated cloud based destruction in a fun and exciting way...I would wait for the final game which will probably have final code and more maps and modes to play around with

I have played in 2 of the tests and have seen quite a lot of shit fall over knocking other buildings and accidentally killing myself in the process and once you realise you gotta use the environment to your advantage and start using line of sight it get way more fun

Gonna be a lot of surprised people on launch..the mp is actually pretty fun..hope the sp is good also

Last edited:

jadedm17

"Red Faction Guerrilla"

Y'all need to get some perspective of your own instead of lobbying behind the ignorance of YouTube personalities who are presently getting egg on their face.
I didnt say it was worse, the implication was its not 10 years better. Its also not near what it was promising to be. Personally i hope its solid enough and Terry Crews helps that and ill pick it up soon enough, but the overall promise combined with the delays that led to this as a final product dissapoint me.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

Game looks like it’s going to be a blast to play. I know I have been looking forward to this and can’t wait to play the full game.
Not really concerned about the downgrade in the visuals just as long as the gameplay is tight.

jadedm17

Doesn't matter to me how it looks. Matters how it plays. While it would be great if it looked awesome that isn't a requirement for me. Playing awesome is.

Additionally I think this whole downgrade BS needs to end. Games almost never live up to target renders, much less target renders for a game that has gone through development hell. It isn't news when another game doesn't. It should only be news if they actually do live up to and/or exceed those years-old target renders.
Thats a horrible mentality that encourages lies - This isnt a small graphic issue but a many times delayed and often promise complete downgrade of what the core gameplay was sold as years ago.
Spiderman ot Battlefield or whatever not looking 3% better doesnt bother me, but this beiny completely falsely advertised like a Fable game does irk me. A little PR damage control would help me personally to explain how and why we got here.

LMJ

It's a shame as it does indeed look like it falls short of some of the promises made early on, such as physics affecting other structures and the smaller physical destruction (carving your name in the wall etc)

Not to say it doesn't still look like fun, but as mentioned above it's been 10 years since Red Faction guerrilla and don't forget that also had single player destruction, so I won't lie if I said I wasn't expecting more.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Thats a horrible mentality that encourages lies - This isnt a small graphic issue but a many times delayed and often promise complete downgrade of what the core gameplay was sold as years ago.
Spiderman ot Battlefield or whatever not looking 3% better doesnt bother me, but this beiny completely falsely advertised like a Fable game does irk me. A little PR damage control would help me personally to explain how and why we got here.

The mentality doesn't encourage lies. The mentality recognizes that crying about target renders and games not being an exact match is just that: crying. Crying that no developer or publisher gives a shit about. Do you really think they lose sleep over outraged pixel-peeking quibble-masters? I don't.

A man's reach should exceed his grasp.

onQ123

It says in game footage right at the bottom lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's interesting - they clearly massively toned down and changed the destruction. It's far more robust in that very early demo...but the rest of the visuals? The old build looks AWFUL but the final appears to be quite attractive based on shots floating around. The game went through development hell, though, and it's obvious that things were gonna change. They seem to have reigned things in at this point.

I didnt say it was worse, the implication was its not 10 years better. Its also not near what it was promising to be.
So what's your solution then? What you're asking for is basically developers to say nothing about games until they are nearly finished, basically. If you're cool with all preview coverage disappearing, though, I suppose that's the solution. What was shown in 2015 was obviously their target - they had a tech demo running. It's clear this game has had a rough development, though, and that wasn't going to be possible in the end. So, at that point, only cancelling the game could solve this,, right?

At least it looks visually superior to that original demo which is pretty hideous.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
People who moan about the visuals of Crackdown 3 clearly never had the problem of walking around outside in the real world and hearing the damn orb sound. I swear to god, I played the first so much that I would hear that randomly in places... It drove me nuts.

The game could look like it ran on a damn n64 for all I care. Crackdown 2 was better looking in spots but played like ass compared to the first. Just get the fun of the first game back. I don't care about the visuals, to be fair. What's a bigger issue is that its releasing day and date with Metro. That's... Not very fair.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
The game is really fun and i need to see what the singleplayer is. So far the technical test was some fun play and i really enjoyed it. On the other hand, i can't say i'm blown away about the destruction hype in general.

TeamGhobad

Banned
maybe not hire the APB guy to direct your new 50-60mil dollar AAA game...

saw that he was demoted a few years ago to consultant.

Three

I hate to say it but if people thought that demonstration was real clearly are naive as fuck.. also I think the game looks fine, sure it doesn't look as good like in the tech demo but that's like 90% of games..just how it goes.

I'm sorry but you have got to be kidding me with this. It says pre-alpha gameplay footage.
Read the thread when that initial demo was posted:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/crackdown-3-10-minute-pre-alpha-gameplay-demo.1090704/

Very few people called out the level of destructibily as not possible in game. Those who had reasonable responses questioning it were said to be concern trolling about the destruction and 'the power of the cloud'

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If it was like you said they would have labeled it 'Proof of concept' not 'in game footage'
What constitutes in-game footage? That seems to be the crux of this.

The 2015 stuff wasn't faked or anything - I saw it myself in its unstable glory. It was footage of a game in development. It's just obvious that it isn't what Crackdown 3 would become.

I'm not a fan of this cloud driven stuff, though, so I'm glad the proper single player game exists and isn't tied down by that. Shame it doesn't have Red Faction style destruction at least.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Just make sure you're connected to the internet so the power of the cloud can upgrade it it 4K 60FPS HDR:messenger_sunglasses:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Such a divisive game this is turning out to be. I have previously stated I bought a 360 primarily for the first game and it was so good. The second was shite.

This just looks sort of "meh" and they have totally botched the development, how can it take 4+ years to create this game? MS have some work to do in case of exclusives for next gen.

Lanrutcon

Man, anyone who even remotely questioned that the end product would look like the reveal was shouted down so hard back in the day. The cloud! the fucking cloud will save us all! Maaaaaaagic!

Now ya'll going "Duh, obviously it wasn't going to look like that. It was just a <flips through book of bullshit excuses> proof of concept".

Fucking hell. When corporations don't even have to pay for damage control.

onQ123

What constitutes in-game footage? That seems to be the crux of this.

The 2015 stuff wasn't faked or anything - I saw it myself in its unstable glory. It was footage of a game in development. It's just obvious that it isn't what Crackdown 3 would become.

I'm not a fan of this cloud driven stuff, though, so I'm glad the proper single player game exists and isn't tied down by that. Shame it doesn't have Red Faction style destruction at least.

This is the point that I'm making , he said this was "never the game" but it clearly was gameplay footage & even labeled as so.

About the cloud stuff most people don't understand that it's a process , today it's using the cloud to train the models for what can be ran on the consoles of tomorrow.

McCheese

I worked on this briefly. All I can say is that Sumo got given a complete mess, and did an admiral job given the time and budget constraints they were probably under to get it back on some sort of track.

Don't blame them for this.

Ramzy

It's wild to me that people are saying "lol u gotta be a mouth breather if u thought that's what the game was gonna look like".

It fucking says pre-alpha GAMEPLAY, and the dude demoing the tech is literally playing it in real time. This isn't Ubisoft level downgrade, this is like an entirely different game running on a different engine.

Either way if the current Crack Down 3 had released on XB1 in 2013 it still would've looked like a dated pile of hot trash.

Top Bottom