• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crafting a Next-Gen Material Pipeline for The Order: 1886 (video/screen/slides/notes)

If this game plays out the way I want it to - that is to say, less BorderFuse and more Uncharted with werewolves - then I'll be a very happy camper indeed. It's looking exquisite. I wonder how far in development Ready At Dawn are with this title. I bet it's still a ways off yet.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If this game plays out the way I want it to - that is to say, less BorderFuse and more Uncharted with werewolves - then I'll be a very happy camper indeed. It's looking exquisite. I wonder how far in development Ready At Dawn are with this title. I bet it's still a ways off yet.

They've said it's a large scale, third person action adventure game with a focus on story. That's about all we know.

spitscoffeeallovertable.gif

Day ONE!!

I can't find it right now, but I remember some interview where Weerasuriya mentioned Naughty Dog as someone they look toward when it comes to showing how you can make story oriented games. So based on their comments they definitely seem to be leaning more in the ND direction than Borderlands or Fuse.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Thank you! We worked really hard on it.

1) We actually used to use deferred rendering, and one of the reasons for switching was so that MSAA would be more affordable and less error-prone. I'm a firm believer in MSAA, and I think it's required if you want really good image quality. The shader-based techniques like FXAA and MLAA are certainly a lot better than nothing and they make a still screenshot look really nice, but they're fundamentally limited by a lack of sub-pixel information and it really shows in motion. They can still be nice though when used in conjunction with MSAA in order to improve the quality further and to cover up some of the places where MSAA doesn't work as well, and there's also some shader things you can do on modern GPU's that make MSAA more effective overall.

2) I'm honestly not sure what the resolution is of a raw capture. I'll have to ask Dave, the scanner is his baby.

3) A lot. :)

I really appreciate it when devs take the time to communicate with their fans. It's so refreshing. I just have one question. In terms of scope, scale and narrative, which game would you compare The Order to?

sunnz

That "old-english" setting is so boring and overused! Needs a more modern soldier combat setting. We can't have enough of those gems...

Haha I agree, when is the last time we have seen a steampunk pre 1900 Britain setting? Especially one that is of a high budget?

The setting is, currently, the only thing that really interests me so much, enough for me to keep an eye on it and has me somewhat hyped for it.

They've said it's a large scale, third person action adventure game with a focus on story. That's about all we know.

I know, that's what got me excited about the game in the first place. Prior to those dev comments, I wrote the game off as another Borderlands-esque co-op shooter based on the trailer, but it would seem it's not like that at all. Dude also said the game is "filmic," which might be a dirty word to some but to me that just hits the spot even more.

spitscoffeeallovertable.gif

Day ONE!!

I want a Quantic Dream game with the goblin from your avatar as the main character. Now that would be day one!

I can't find it right now, but I remember some interview where Weerasuriya mentioned Naughty Dog as someone they look toward when it comes to showing how you can make story oriented games. So based on their comments they definitely seem to be leaning more in the ND direction than Borderlands or Fuse.

That's music to my ears. Fingers crossed we're not kept in suspense much longer and get to see some gameplay footage at Gamescom.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I know, that's what got me excited about the game in the first place. Prior to those dev comments, I wrote the game off as another Borderlands-esque co-op shooter based on the trailer, but it would seem it's not like that at all. Dude also said the game is "filmic," which might be a dirty word to some but to me that just hits the spot even more.

Same here. I really hope this is a substantial, immersive game. Didn't they say that had most of London modeled for it?

Same here. I really hope this is a substantial, immersive game. Didn't they say that had most of London modeled for it?

I did hear in an interview during E3 that the team is aiming for a certain degree of realism with the alternate history they've created, while steering away from anything too outlandish or fantastical, so I guess that sounds plausible (not to mention ambitious!).

Obeso

Banned
Haha I agree, when is the last time we have seen a steampunk pre 1900 Britain setting? Especially one that is of a high budget?

The setting is, currently, the only thing that really interests me so much, enough for me to keep an eye on it and has me somewhat hyped for it.

Dishonor.

B.O.O.M

Completely missed this thread. Some really impressive looking work in the OP. Hope to see gameplay soon (gamescom pls)

MJP

I really appreciate it when devs take the time to communicate with their fans. It's so refreshing. I just have one question. In terms of scope, scale and narrative, which game would you compare The Order to?

Unfortunately I can't talk yet about the IP or the gameplay side of things.

luca_29_bg

Unfortunately I can't talk yet about the IP or the gameplay side of things.

so this is the reason because you can't tell us how many polygons have characters in game and if this

AYAni4f.jpg

is playable assets ? ^_^

This is one of the few non ND projects that has caught my eye. Looks amazing. I'm ready to see how they will weave game play and narrative into one with this one.

Hoping we get gameplay at GC but I have a bad feeling it will be launch games focus only + one new game reveal :(

I dunno why but I have this feeling that Order will go for a info hiatus for a while.

stryke

This is one of the few non ND projects that has caught my eye. Looks amazing. I'm ready to see how they will weave game play and narrative into one with this one.

Funny you should say that, considering they have a few ex-ND staff there.

After doing some casual internet browsing on RAD, it seems they've has this IP brewing as far back as 2007.

Ready At Dawn Studios (Daxter, God Of War: Chains Of Olympus) has announced that former Naughty Dog creative director Daniel Arey (Jak & Daxter, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune) has joined the company to work on an in-production, thus far un-named original IP game franchise.

The designer commented of this change: "When I first got the chance to hear about this new property, I immediately knew I had to be a part of it and get a chance to join forces with the... talent over at Ready At Dawn Studios. These guys have taken the time to mature their team, their technology and this new concept. Believe me, this is going to be something special."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/105914/Naughty_Dog_Creative_Director_Joins_Ready_At_Dawn.php

bridegur

I think RAD is a great developer and technically this looks good, but I hope it'll be more than just a brown and grey shooter.

Top Bottom