• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot 20th Anniversary Retrospective - The Original Naughty Dog

RK128

9ODsxUq.jpg

To celebrate the series 20th birthday, going to give the orange bandicoot the Retrospective treatment that Sonic, Mega Man, Spyro and Ratchet & Clank have been getting :).

This Retrospective is getting announced now but the Retrospective for the original PS1 Trilogy won't start until later in the week, considering as of 5/1/16, being very busy with college work right now. But will promise that by this coming weekend, the Retrospective for the original Crash will be up.

Going to cover most of the games in the series and I hope you enjoy this ride through the series history! And lets hope for his grand return this year that Sony is heavily hinting at the past few years.

PS1 Era:
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Crash Team Racing
Crash Bash

PS2 Era:
Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
Crash Nitro Kart
Crash Twinsanity
Crash Tag Team Racing

Handheld Adventures:
Crash Bandicoot: The Big Adventure
Crash Bandicoot: N-Traced
Crash X Spyro - Mini Game Collection

Mutant Series:
Crash of the Titans
Crash Mind over Mutant

Extra:
Crash's Mobile Adventures
Crash Twinsanity First Impressions & LTTP Thread

Bgamer90

Banned
Crash 2 and CTR were my favorites.

I enjoyed Crash Bash too. Had some fun mini games.

Wrath of Cortex will always be remembered for its terrible loading times.

I remember thinking Crash 2 or 3 was kind of okay, but honestly it's always been a C-tier franchise to me.

It's crazy that it's been 20 years though.

Nev

Banned
Crash 2 is one of the best platformers ever. It's a masterpiece.

Crash 1 and 3 are not even close unfortunately. 1 because it controls quite worse and 3 because it has too many shitty minigames, although the platforming levels are on par with 2.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The only crash game I've played was The Big Adventure on my GBA. decent enough platfomer but nothing mind-blowing.

I never played any of the other games in the series because I've never owned a Playstation platform and I skipped out on the sixth generation of consoles entirely outside of the Dreamcast.

Are either of the Wii entries worth playing?

Zebei

CTR was the second game I ever owned. I must have replayed some of those tracks hundreds of times.

Crash 3 was also a huge part of my childhooed and I loved it so much. Probably 2nd favorite PS1 game after Spyro 2

C'mon Sony E3 is the time!

RK128

The only crash game I've played was The Big Adventure on my GBA. decent enough platfomer but nothing mind-blowing.

I never played any of the other games in the series because I've never owned a Playstation platform and I skipped out on the sixth generation of consoles entirely outside of the Dreamcast.

Are either of the Wii entries worth playing?

It depends; if you are open to more combat in your Crash game, then the Mutant Series fun polished games. But they have issues despite trying to be both fresh and new but respectful to the series roots.

I love these retrospectives. The first Crash game I played was Crash 3, and after that it was the Wrath of Cortex, and then the GBA games including the Spyro crossovers. And I finally got a chance to play the first one about 4 years ago when I got the Xperia Play and it came loaded on the phone.

Sakujou

Banned
last game i played was crash team racing. it was so much better than mk64.

but the crash game on ps2(this started the downfall)... the loading times were dreadful :(

i dont want the game back. there wont be any good outcome if ND is not handling this game.

and they wont handle it.

they have been doing mature games for the last 10 years, i dont think they are interested in making children games....

:(

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I remember when CTR came out in a game + 4 way multitap, bought it for my partners nephews and niece and also gave them one of my spare PSones (I had 3 at the time). Man we had fun playing that 4 player that day, so memorable. It was the perfect Mario Kart game on PlayStation.

jonboi24

Neo Member
The nostalgia and the feels. My Crash 1 was my first ever Playstation game. Next year we getting drunk with Crash.

Rellik

It's in the US store, but you can't download it to Vita or transfer it from PS3 either. PS3 and PSP only for god knows what reason.

That's bizarre. It's a shame non-Europeans can't relive them on the Vita too. They're perfect games for the Vita.

Nudull

Banned
Your retrospectives have been very entertaining, so far. :) Here's hoping for Sly and Jak, sometime in the future.

RK128

Your retrospectives have been very entertaining, so far. :) Here's hoping for Sly and Jak, sometime in the future.

Both will be covered in the future for sure :). But have a lot to cover right now, so those will happen down the line.

Nudull

Banned
Both will be covered in the future for sure :). But have a lot to cover right now, so those will happen down the line.

Awesome! I've always been a little curious about the story behind the tonal shift between the first Jak game and the rest of the series.

RK128

Awesome! I've always been a little curious about the story behind the tonal shift between the first Jak game and the rest of the series.

Will have ALOT of fun covering Jak II when I get to it, as I have strong thoughts on that game. But story-wise, they shifted direction due to seeing younger audiences feeling 'meh' on cartoon platformers.

Shu came in and asked Naughty Dog if they loved the Jak IP, and they said yes. So, they stuck with them and told Andy (Naughty Dog founder) to keep working on the project. They decided to shift the entire tone and direction of the Jak series to appeal to more gamers in a post GTA world and.....tonally and storywise, it worked.

But that was never my issue with Jak II, MY personal issue was the damn difficulty, but will touch on that when I get to it.

Nudull

Banned
The thought of "CB releasing late this year on September 9th" just gives me shivers.

I'd be really happy to have a new Crash game on PS4. It seems like a good while since we had AAA platformers (still need to check out the new Ratchet game). :)

Oh, how I love those games! Warped, CTR and Twinsanity are my favorites in the series. Excellent music, animations, characters and gameplay. It's a shame I can't play them (or the Spyro games) on my Vita. Hopefully Sony will fix this soon. =\

I still find CTR way more fun to play than any Mario Kart game. That game NEEDS to be remade with online multiplayer, new tracks, but the exact same physics!

If a new Crash game gets announced at E3 I will *literally die.

(*not literally)

SNURB

It's honestly one of my favorite games out there. It helped me get through some really depressing states during my life and introduced me to gaming as a whole.

I don't understand this stigma retcon GAF has with the Crash games never being any good or popular. That is straight up bias bullshit and I'm pretty sure that it'll pop up in this thread too.

you know I never asked, whatever happened to the female character from the first game that was supposed to be his girlfriend or something? I mean they eventually replaced her with his sister so I was curious if there was a reason to it.

silva1991

you know I never asked, whatever happened to the female character from the first game that was supposed to be his girlfriend or something? I mean they eventually replaced her with his sister so I was curious if there was a reason to it.

I always thought she was his mother.........

freefornow

Gold Member
9ODsxUq.jpg

PS1 Era:
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Crash Team Racing

Dear lord. Were they really PS1 games! So fresh in my memory that if feels like only a few years ago and not 20 years!

It's time!

Top Bottom