• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Community

rjc571

Banned
The general game was open world, but the levels would often turn into linear corridors with focused platforming challenges. Examples include the temple in the Forbidden Jungle, several different paths in the swamp level, the rising tar and a few other parts of the Lost Precursor City, and the dark section of the Spider Caves with the crystal lanterns. Jak 2 had entire missions which felt like they were ripped out of CB (like the one on the roof of the palace), as well as a spider chase which was obviously inspired by the boulder chases in Crash.

Motwera

Banned
I forgot to post that yesterday was the anniversary of Crash Bandicoot as a series and as for the first game from 1996 for the franchise!

Happy Birthday, Crash, hope we will see you again in a new adventure someday :)
crash-and-a-cake1.jpg

Motwera

Banned
More Crystal's Wrath:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPEzeh7Y2x8

I am not sure if this is safe or not (I hope it is, since it waaay better than the other 2 ones), but it seems that a certain unofficial Crash flash game has been recently ported to Android with Google Play Games support, and it plays quite well:
(Taken down for unknown reasons, I still don't know why yet)

Working on 100%ing Crash Warped for the past few days on Vita. I'm around 75% now. This game is so damn good! It was the only of the original three I hadn't played at all since I was a kid and I'm loving it.

Holy shit, Warped is insane with its secrets!

On level 11 (Dino Might), you need a yellow gem to unlock an extra path and get all the crates. Ok, cool, easy enough. You get the yellow gem on level 7 (Hang 'Em High). For a while I figured it was one you had to get through the level with no deaths to unlock a hidden path, but it never happened. Frustrating! I gave up and moved on to other levels, to come back at a later date.... until I hopped on the thing in the middle of the warp room and found 5 secret levels! WHAT. Turns out level 27 is a secondary entrance to level 7 that leads to the yellow gem! Sick! I got it it without too much trouble and headed straight to level 11. The secret path is difficult, with tons of obstacles and the hardest chase scene I've encountered yet. I die being chased by this stupid triceratops like a dozen times. The last "death" I run into one of those fucking pterodactyls, and it just grabs me and carries me off! Now I'm in an unnumbered secret level called Eggipus Rex with tons of wumpas that don't disappear during a time trial (oh yeah gimme those lives back) and some seriously choice 2D platforming. It's a secret level buried in like 4 secret levels that the game does nothing at all to indicate its existence.

TL;DR wow this game is so fucking good it's crazy, why sony why :(

A very interesting fact I just learned while reading the new Naughty Dog art book:

"Complex computer code inspired by programmer Dave Baggett and my time at MIT's artificial intelligence lab cut, diced, packaged and then moved blocks of memory off the disk constantly as you played. When PlayStation saw our clever coding, they were worried because the early PS one CD Drives were rated for fewer lifetimes reads than one Crash play-through now used. We all agreed never to mention that in public (until now!)." - Andy Gavin from The Art of Naughty Dog.

Trivia likes this warms my heart, especially when it's about a game I've absolutely adored for nearly my whole life.

They were always Naughty Gods. Even back then.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
A very interesting fact I just learned while reading the new Naughty Dog art book:

"Complex computer code inspired by programmer Dave Baggett and my time at MIT's artificial intelligence lab cut, diced, packaged and then moved blocks of memory off the disk constantly as you played. When PlayStation saw our clever coding, they were worried because the early PS one CD Drives were rated for fewer lifetimes reads than one Crash play-through now used. We all agreed never to mention that in public (until now!)." - Andy Gavin from The Art of Naughty Dog.

Trivia likes this warms my heart, especially when it's about a game I've absolutely adored for nearly my whole life.

In other words... expect to break you PS1 by playing through Crash Bandicoot? I think it's amazing that Sony aimed the drive to be this unreliable oO.

Tizoc

Holy shit, Warped is insane with its secrets!

On level 11 (Dino Might), you need a yellow gem to unlock an extra path and get all the crates. Ok, cool, easy enough. You get the yellow gem on level 7 (Hang 'Em High). For a while I figured it was one you had to get through the level with no deaths to unlock a hidden path, but it never happened. Frustrating! I gave up and moved on to other levels, to come back at a later date.... until I hopped on the thing in the middle of the warp room and found 5 secret levels! WHAT. Turns out level 27 is a secondary entrance to level 7 that leads to the yellow gem! Sick! I got it it without too much trouble and headed straight to level 11. The secret path is difficult, with tons of obstacles and the hardest chase scene I've encountered yet. I die being chased by this stupid triceratops like a dozen times. The last "death" I run into one of those fucking pterodactyls, and it just grabs me and carries me off! Now I'm in an unnumbered secret level called Eggipus Rex with tons of wumpas that don't disappear during a time trial (oh yeah gimme those lives back) and some seriously choice 2D platforming. It's a secret level buried in like 4 secret levels that the game does nothing at all to indicate its existence.

TL;DR wow this game is so fucking good it's crazy, why sony why :(

IMO Crash 2's secrets were better and more mind bogling.

In other words... expect to break you PS1 by playing through Crash Bandicoot? I think it's amazing that Sony aimed the drive to be this unreliable oO.
Looking back I'd say the risk paid off.

Agreed. My mind is still blown to this day about Level 1's red gem twist.

I never figured that one out myself though, shame that the clue at the end never caught my eye.

Really? :O

I just beat Crash 2 and moved on to Warped, I didn't make the effort to 100% it cause I know these games are a lot of work to 100% and decided I'd only do one. I'll go back to it at some point in the next few months.

SoundLad

Crash always sends waves of nostalgia through my body from the PS1 era. Crash 3 being my favourite, I would love to see a proper sequel to it someday.

Also, took the Aku Aku avatar if you guys don't mind, it's excellent!

Ooccoo

Too bad not one developer has the balls to create a platformer anymore (except Nintendo I mean).

Dunno what it would take to make it happen. I was sure Banjo-Threeie would see the light of day, it seems perfect, so I guess Crash is dead too. They probably saw Rayman Origins poor sales and said fuck it once and for all.

Too bad not one developer has the balls to create a platformer anymore (except Nintendo I mean).

Dunno what it would take to make it happen. I was sure Banjo-Threeie would see the light of day, it seems perfect, so I guess Crash is dead too. They probably saw Rayman Origins poor sales and said fuck it once and for all.

They considered Rayman's sales poor, but they were actually decent.

Tizoc

I'm still beating mysef up at that glitch that occured with the PS Vita download list my stupid brother not dling the games.
I want to play these suckers on my Vita damnit.

Weird that people that when Sony puts out platformers pretty regularly:

Ratchet_Clank_movie_teaser_promo_cropped.png

Sly_4_box_art_empty.jpg

(there is definitely a Sly 5 coming 2016 also, 100%)
littlebigplanet-3-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-09jun14

tearaway_unfolded-ps4-screenshot-10.jpg

puppeteer.jpg

That's not counting the endless amounts of indie 2D platformers, cause I'm sure you were referring to big budget games.

You just know if they ever did get that Crash license back they'd do justice to it, they really know how to make these sorts of games.

I'm still beating mysef up at that glitch that occured with the PS Vita download list my stupid brother not dling the games.
I want to play these suckers on my Vita damnit.

If your Vita is on 3.18 or below then by buying Tekken 2 or a certain PS1 racing game (I forget the name) you can install a savedata exploit that allows you to run any PS1 game.

I'd love an HD port/remaster. 60fps, 1080p, updated geometry/textures, online play….

tumblr_lt1a476ufi1qht847.gif

I'm not into online gaming, but this game would be a big exception to that rule.

Exentryk

I wish a new Crash Team Racing game came out for PS4. It was a great game back in the day.

As much as I want it, I feel they'll ruin the tight controls if they make a remake. A HD remaster however with online multiplayer would be the best game ever though.

Tizoc

If your Vita is on 3.18 or below then by buying Tekken 2 or a certain PS1 racing game (I forget the name) you can install a savedata exploit that allows you to run any PS1 game.

I'm not into online gaming, but this game would be a big exception to that rule.

I'm on 3.30 :(

Haxxona

Banned
Working on 100%ing Crash Warped for the past few days on Vita. I'm around 75% now. This game is so damn good! It was the only of the original three I hadn't played at all since I was a kid and I'm loving it.
I just started 100%ing CTR and after that I'm moving to Warped. Probably the two games I played most when I was little.

Level 1 has a BLUE gem ;)
I figured it out myself as a kid...thought it was obvious and a nice little twist. Its the others that are surprising.

Speaking of the Red Gem, that sucker will forever taunt me-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVo_9dbD6jg

I agree.

That part where you have to jump back to the ledge the polar bear dropped you off after the chase to enter a secret level.

Or that part where you have to realize the nitro crates aren't moving and are in fact dummy nitro crates that lead to a hidden level.

Who even thought of these.

Motwera

Banned
Huh, guess I should just turn around and walk away then.

Yes, I made that rule even knowingly that I still bash Activision for relevant reasons like many, to avoid derailing the thread, unlike so many threads related to Crash (that especially include post-ND subjectives) on NeoGAF get derailed due to many pulling out their cards of bashing Post-ND devs or bashing Activision efforts (I get it, they are not that good, I know, I had this happen so many times, darn it)

Atruvius

Is that not a bit unfair though? Crash was a childhood icon for me, I loved him to pieces. After Crash Team Racing I didn't like the series as much, not solely because of Naughty Dog but I preferred linear level design, the earlier character designs and the game play. However premature the series was.

Crash Bash wasn't developed by Naughty Dog. It was however a PSX title and I don't care much for it. But I wasn't a big fan of the games made by TT, Sierra or Activision for the reasons stated above.

That being said, it's just a preference. I wouldn't go out of my way to bash other titles just because of my own preferences. My brother loved Twinsanity and Wrath of Cortex. But the pure fact that you have that in the opening post is almost like a threat which made me not post when I had hoped to contribute to the discussion.

I can rephrase and say:

I feel as though I can't post here because I have nothing to contribute to Crash titles after Team Racing and yet it's supposed to be a community so naturally, you'd have people who prefer new, old or a mixture.

Since you aren't here to bash post ND Crashes, (even though Twinsanity is the pretty much the only legit good post ND Crash), I don't see why you should feel hesitant to post here. I mean we all know that there was a noticable drop in quality when ND dropped Crash and most if us also hope for there to be a new great Crash game that's more like the old ones. So post away!

Tizoc

Is it wrong that the one announcement I want from the upcoming PSX event is the Crash and Spyro games finally being Vita compatible for US Vita owners?

Tizoc

One can dream. Crash and Spyro on the go would be nuts.

There are days I feel like taking a metal bat and beating up the persons who OKed the games being compatible for EU and JP accounts and not US accounts.
I don't care for your reasons, it's just effin' dumb, and I'ma smack you for this ludicrousness.

Don't ask me why I don't feel the same about Atlus and EU, that's a different scenario for me :V

Ramenman

It's also mentionned in this lovely series of articles by Andy Gavin which I suggest everyone read if you wanna know crazy stuff about Crash :)

http://all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/

Got an absolutely amazing drawing from my SO:

crash_bandicoot_by_hinchen-d8bkx65.jpg

I can't wait to put it on my wall at home and now we're about to play some good ol' Crash again. Good times.

Motwera

Banned
Huge update:
First off, Charles (Late):
crashbandicootsketch3web.jpg

crashbandicootsketch2aweb.jpg

crashbandicootsketch1web.jpg

Different versions of Crash
One of the things that makes Crash Bandicoot an interesting character is in the varying ways in which his design can be altered. It’s one of the unanticipated aspects of his look that has fostered different approaches to his appearance and something I like to experiment with on occasion.
Here’s an example. I sketched these concepts last evening for some drawing practice. I used a straight ahead drawing method I call free form which utilizes a non-erasable medium such as a simple ball point pen. This is what I came up with…

crashbandicootxmas2014a.jpg

Merry Christmas 2014
I figure the many Crash Bandicoot fans who frequent my blog would appreciate this. I hope everyone has a special Christmas spent with those you love…

Other:
http://www.naughtydog.com/timeline/...er&utm_campaign=Naughty+Dog&sf7200207=1#crash

Video collection (Hand-picked) on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1MUkQiIH7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg-ERH33JD8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2RxewXrsX0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpnQurLjJFg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnKG8gcQMJE&list=PLfSSR7f6doDdYSfSKYTW1POjV_sg1lVt9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp2iMkpRbrQ&list=PLfSSR7f6doDc91jLI-wuT0rN-aCz6tplD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nwfd926Y2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrJhqWRJIho

Also, one of the lines in the OT will be changed to the following:
We as a crash fanbase, welcome any criticism that is valid and critical of the series and its fanbase, criticism any era of the games is allowed, but please do not be blunt/douche about it, especially post-ND
Also, corrected OT image:
AbRztjP.png

Top Bottom