• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Community

maxcriden

Since it is easier to hit the diagonals when using an analog stick and me fearing the games were designed with that in mind, I'd prefer that, yes. And since I'm moreover really not liking the stick positioning on the Dual Shock, I first need to find a way to play with a controller where the left stick is comfortable to reach for me.

Gotcha. Well, we've started Crash 2 and been playing it for a few nights, using the d-pad. Even if it may have been designed with the stick in mind, we haven't really had any trouble playing it this way. Not any more so than diagonal movements can be difficult in the first game, at least.

Personally, I feel like the analog stick of the DS3 (we're playing on PS3) is wholly uncomfortable to use. I feel like that with the DS2 as well. You know, I don't know how exactly I was so okay with the DS2 analog stick as a teen. I really don't care for it all now, and it has me a bit wary of playing games like SOTC that are on my shelf, waiting to try.

I'm hoping any post-PSX Crash games worth playing are playable with the d-pad. Also hoping you can find a controller that suits your needs!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Gotcha. Well, we've started Crash 2 and been playing it for a few nights, using the d-pad. Even if it may have been designed with the stick in mind, we haven't really had any trouble playing it this way. Not any more so than diagonal movements can be difficult in the first game, at least.

Personally, I feel like the analog stick of the DS3 (we're playing on PS3) is wholly uncomfortable to use. I feel like that with the DS2 as well. You know, I don't know how exactly I was so okay with the DS2 analog stick as a teen. I really don't care for it all now, and it has me a bit wary of playing games like SOTC that are on my shelf, waiting to try.

I'm hoping any post-PSX Crash games worth playing are playable with the d-pad. Also hoping you can find a controller that suits your needs!

All post-PSX Crash games are playable on other systems. Crash Wrath of Cortex on GameCube and Xbox, Twinsanity on Xbox, the Titans games on Wii and 360, the GBA games are 2D and obviously on GBA.

Sadly, there does not seem to be any PS2 controller that has the analog stick in the primary position and the only adapter there is, the XP Joy Box, seems to be sold out everywhere :/. Maybe I will just play them with the d-pad, too...

maxcriden

All post-PSX Crash games are playable on other systems. Crash Wrath of Cortex on GameCube and Xbox, Twinsanity on Xbox, the Titans games on Wii and 360, the GBA games are 2D and obviously on GBA.

Sadly, there does not seem to be any PS2 controller that has the analog stick in the primary position and the only adapter there is, the XP Joy Box, seems to be sold out everywhere :/. Maybe I will just play them with the d-pad, too...

Appreciate it, thanks for the info, Yosh. I just meant, I hope those games allow you to use the d-pad rather than requiring you to use the analog stick. I definitely prefer the PS2 d-pad to the GCN one, for example. The Wii d-pad might be my favorite console d-pad, though.

Come to the d-pad side, Yosh >:} Almost all games are better played with a d-pad....

TheOGB

Banned
Wrath of Cortex definitely lets you use the d-pad.
edit: Twinsanity does as well

Speaking of, I realized yesterday that I hadn't completed that 100% yet, so I started going for the last gems and relics. The hamster ball (think they called it the Atlasphere) levels are much more fun than I remembered. On the other hand, the underwater levels--at least, the one where you're in a sub--are just as ass as I remembered.

rjc571

Banned
Since it is easier to hit the diagonals when using an analog stick and me fearing the games were designed with that in mind, I'd prefer that, yes. And since I'm moreover really not liking the stick positioning on the Dual Shock, I first need to find a way to play with a controller where the left stick is comfortable to reach for me.

The games were designed to be played with the d-pad, not the stick. Not sure how you're getting that it's easier to hit the diagonals with a stick, anyway -- with the dpad you just have to hit two buttons at once, but with a stick you need to make sure it's angled properly at all times, and a slight involuntary adjustment can send you straight to your doom.

Yoshi

Appreciate it, thanks for the info, Yosh. I just meant, I hope those games allow you to use the d-pad rather than requiring you to use the analog stick. I definitely prefer the PS2 d-pad to the GCN one, for example. The Wii d-pad might be my favorite console d-pad, though.

Come to the d-pad side, Yosh >:} Almost all games are better played with a d-pad....
Sorry, but a properly designed 3D game plays a lot better with full analog control imo. The pure joy of controlling Mario in Super Mario Sunshine is unparalleld and the full usage of the analog stick is the reason for this (mind you, I don't want to state Sunshine is the best Mario, it is not, but it is the single most compelling game in regards to player movement). Of course, an analog stick is not a good thing if a game is not designed to be played with it.

The games were designed to be played with the d-pad, not the stick. Not sure how you're getting that it's easier to hit the diagonals with a stick, anyway -- with the dpad you just have to hit two buttons at once, but with a stick you need to make sure it's angled properly at all times, and a slight involuntary adjustment can send you straight to your doom.
Good to know, thank you!

Now to my comments for the Crash games I have completed so far:

Crash Bandicoot
PSX
D-Pad controls? Yes
Stick controls? No

A very focussed, almost 2d platformer with a strange saving system and quite a few challenging levels. Many levels are a lot of fun, but the game tends to have some stinker level design at places too, in particular the invisible bridge parts with holes in them that come into play several times. However, I guess everyone here, in particular you, Max, knows this game anyway, so I'll keep this short and continue with the less-known games

Crash Bandicoot Fusion
GBA
D-Pad controls? Yes
Stick controls? No

While it looks like a traditional 2D Crash platformer, it is actually quite a bit different. THere are only five levels and the levels themsleves are not very tightly designed or challenging at all. Instead, they serve more as hub worlds for the mini stages you need to complete in order to get all crystals and games in the game. Typically a gem is awarded if you destroy all crates within a mini stage and s crystal is awarded for finishing a mini stage.

However, Crash Bandicoot Fusion is not a minigame collection in the traditional sense. Instead, the mini stages offer a combination of several different types of mini games that get increasingly more difficult as you progress through the worlds. So you have a small set of mini games that get developed further over the game. About half of those mini games are a lot of fun and serve as a selection of classic Crash bonus room style levels or something at least similar. There are free fall levels in which you fall down a hole an need to crash all crates, mini-platforming levels in which your mission also is to destroy all boxes (and get to the goal if you're only interested in the crystal, which you shouldn't). Moreover, there are levels in which you ride a fast running ice bear - again, destroying the crates yields a gem, getting to the finish line yields a crystal. These are very much reminiscent of the animal riding levels in PlayStation Crash games. To conclude the selection of fun minigames, there are quite a few mini levels that play exactly like DKC Tropical Freeze's rocket barrel levels - although much easier.

On the other hand, there are also a lot of stinkers. In particular there is a tank minigame, either playing a literal tank or playing a boat that controls like a tank. These mini games are not difficult, but tedious and boring. The same goes for a shooting style level where you need to shoot down paraglider or sheep. Fun, but strange in a Crash game: An Asteroids game that plays like Breakout.

Overall, the game is short, easy, and not a full platformer, you can play it if you are a Crash fan, you will not hate it, but it's no where near essential.

Crash of the Titans
NDS
D-Pad controls? Yes
Stick controls? No [Yes, if you play on 3DS of course, but the game does not use the analog information then]
Basically a classic Crash Bandicoot game with a bigger emphasis on fighting. You can feel the developers really liked working on a Crash game, but on the other hand, the heavy pop-ups of relevant collectibles, the too long and too few levels as well as the unremarkable and simple level design bring the game down considerably. However, it's not a bad game by any stretch, if you like Crash-style linear platforming in a semi-3D world, you'll feel right at home here. You need to keep in mind that the trademark spinning attack was exchanged for a standard kick attack though. Looking for crates and masks (both required for 100%) feels a lot like traditional Crash platforming and also the ratio of well-hidden and obviously placed items is comparable to the PSX-games.

There are two more notable aspects of the game, one being that you play short levels with Nina Cortex every once in a while which make the Crash levels seem like wonderfully creative masterpieces (they are just dumb lines for you to walk along and shoot enemies) and each of the eight Crash levels has a (most of the time) touch based mini level attached to it which you can select serparately and which houses several additional masks (i.e. for 100% they are obligatory). Luckily, those mini levels are all quite fun and certainly do not overstay their welcome.

Overall, if you are looking for a traditional style Crash and have already played the first four games, Crash of the Titans certainly is a good choice. Don't expect a (somewhat) modern classic though.

Currently, I'm playing through the Wii version of Crash of the Titans with my fiancée and it is a lot less traditional than the DS game and from my experience so far (5/20 levels done) it's also worse. Still fun enough though.

maxcriden

Wrath of Cortex definitely lets you use the d-pad.
edit: Twinsanity does as well

Speaking of, I realized yesterday that I hadn't completed that 100% yet, so I started going for the last gems and relics. The hamster ball (think they called it the Atlasphere) levels are much more fun than I remembered. On the other hand, the underwater levels--at least, the one where you're in a sub--are just as ass as I remembered.

Thanks for the info, man. I appreciate it and I'm glad to hear it. I liked the Atlasphere levels I played in the GBA games. I will say 3D underwater levels are mostly the bane of my 3D platforming enjoyment. I find very few games get them right, esp. in the Gen 5/6 days.

My feelings exactly. Further, I'd prefer any analog stick game also be playable with the d-pad....

Sorry, but a properly designed 3D game plays a lot better with full analog control imo. The pure joy of controlling Mario in Super Mario Sunshine is unparalleld and the full usage of the analog stick is the reason for this (mind you, I don't want to state Sunshine is the best Mario, it is not, but it is the single most compelling game in regards to player movement). Of course, an analog stick is not a good thing if a game is not designed to be played with it.

Good to know, thank you!

Now to my comments for the Crash games I have completed so far:

Wowza, very detailed impressions. Thank you! Not that I should be surprised, given who is writing them. :)

Have you been 100%ing the games, or just playing through them? Just curious. Will keep CotT DS on my radar.

BTW, I agree that SM64 and SMS give you more specific control over the characters. But, perhaps bizarrely, I would argue that 3D platformers such as these give you *too much* control over the character's movements. My point being that Nintendo amongst others was wise, IMO, to continually ramp in the move set and nuances of control for their 3D Mario platformers. I personally strongly prefer the subsequent 3D Marios which focus on level design and platforming vs. complex controls and movesets. I think it's the classic 3D playground vs. "2D in 3D" level design argument.

TheOGB

Banned
No problem, Max.

There are two more notable aspects of the game, one being that you play short levels with Nina Cortex every once in a while which make the Crash levels seem like wonderfully creative masterpieces (they are just dumb lines for you to walk along and shoot enemies)
Oh man, I totally forgot Nina was playable in that game, lol (but no wonder, her levels weren't anything to write home about, as you said)

rjc571

Banned
No problem, Max.

Oh man, I totally forgot Nina was playable in that game, lol (but no wonder, her levels weren't anything to write home about, as you said)

Didn't she have a platforming/chase level which was reminiscent of the boulder levels from the original CB games? I remember that level being pretty good.

EDIT: NVM, thought you were talking about Twinsanity not Crash of the Titans

Yoshi

Have you been 100%ing the games, or just playing through them? Just curious. Will keep CotT DS on my radar.
Crash Bandicoot I have 100%ed, Crash Bandicoot Fusion, I have got all gems and crystals, but not all trading cards, because it is impossible to get them all without also buying and playing the corresponding Spyro game, which I do not plan on ever doing. Finally, Crash of the Titans DS I played as if I was 100%ing it, i.e. going through each level thoroughly looking for collectibles and crashing all crates. However, I did not get everything in every level and for the masks it's super frustrating to search them, because they can be in both, the normal level and the touch mini-level, with no way of knowing where your missing masks are. Moreover, the heavy pop-ups mean that you can be quite close to a mask and still not see it, so I decided not to replay the ~50% of levels where I was missing a few masks, because it would just get on my nerves. Crash of the Titans Wii I also won't 100%, but I'm not even trying there, because it is combat based (kill X enemies, destroy three automata and have a hit-chain of a certain length) and I'm not interested in that. Crash Bandicoot 2, 3, XS, N-Tranced, Wrath of Cortex and Twinsanity I plan on 100%ing.

BTW, I agree that SM64 and SMS give you more specific control over the characters. But, perhaps bizarrely, I would argue that 3D platformers such as these give you *too much* control over the character's movements. My point being that Nintendo amongst others was wise, IMO, to continually ramp in the move set and nuances of control for their 3D Mario platformers. I personally strongly prefer the subsequent 3D Marios which focus on level design and platforming vs. complex controls and movesets. I think it's the classic 3D playground vs. "2D in 3D" level design argument.
Yes, it's certainly a matter of taste and SMG1/2 are my two favourite 3D games, so I can't say I completely disagree, though I don't like Nintendo has totally given up on analog controls in the Super Mario 3D Land / World games.

Yoshi

I'm making a list of handheld platformer games and wanted to ask if someone here can verify the Crash Bandicoot info I have put up for Crash Bandicoot games that I have not played myself:

New games:
Crash of the Titans
Platform: GBA
Developer: Amaze
Publisher: Sierra
Info: A 2D platformer with brawling elements that follows the story of the console game, but is a new game (also different from the NDS version) otherwise
Verified? No
User reviews None

Crash Mind over Mutants
Platform: NDS
Developer: TOSE
Info: A 2D platformer with brawling elements that follows the story of the console game, but is a new game otherwise
Verified? No
User reviews None

Old games (i.e. same levels as a console game):
Crash of the Titans
Platform: PSP
Developer: Radical
Info: A port of the Wii game of the same name (need confirmation!)
Verified? No
User reviews None

Crash Mind over Mutants
Platform: PSP
Developer: Radical
Info: A port of the Wii game of the same name (need confirmation!)
Verified? No
User reviews None

You can find the full list here, if someone could verify (one way or the other) the information, I'd like to put his username in the list as the person who verified this in this thread:
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=177165890

Tizoc

EDIT: OK I searched JP PSN and the Spyro and Crash games are NOT Vita compatible as per the site, someone over at the PS thread even commented that they're unable to download or transfer the games.

Hmmm...why hasn't this thread had any updates during PSX?
PSX201_troll_zpsss6wxtbk.png
THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

Last night I achieved a 100% clear of Crash Bandicoot 1 (Vita version), something I've never committed to doing before.

It's really tough but super rewarding.

BetaM

Some long overdue updates:

Crash Mania recieved a major design update and started a Patreon to speed up future updates and articles. The old site is still available to view, since a lot of the new one is unfinished.

The Dave Siller saga (The Crash Untold Story) is still ongoing on its Facebook page, with a recap available on Crash Mania.

In terms of speedrunning, every main game has been broken with skips now apart from TWoC.
At ESA 2015 a lot of the top Crash runners (the community is mostly European) gathered and did runs of almost every main game (myself included).

Regarding new Crash games, insiders have chimed in on GAF, with this summary google doc floating around (not mine).

The Twinsanity community has been hard at work on modding tools for the game, and they're progressing quite well.
Crash 1 and 2 continue getting breakthroughs in that department.

And lastly, some big projects I'm involved in:
Beyond Twinsanity - Crash Twinsanity fansite dedicated to inform as much as possible.
Project Nitro - Crash Bash fangame aiming to modernize Bash and bring it online with some new additions.

Yoshi

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
PSX
D-Pad controls? Yes
Stick controls? Yes (Only emulating d-pad controls though)
Crash Bandicoot 2 did away with the obscure saving system of Crash 1 and improved on jumping mechanics as well as level design, making it the best Crash I have played so far. It introduces the gimmicky jetpack levels, which are quite boring, but there are also only two, so it's not too bad. In general, the level design is really fun, as long as you are primarily going for level completion. In many levels the box collection is also fun, but I feel in way too many levels the game forces you to backtrack inconveniently to get all boxes and in one particularly mean level, they hide a box out of the viewing field such that you probably need to go through the level twice, even though it is quite tough in othe areas. Some secrets were quite obscure (jump into a hole a polar bear created, for instance) but that's of course a matter of taste. I have completed the game fully (100%).

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
PSX
D-Pad controls? Yes
Stick controls? Yes (full analog this time)
I really like the idea of time attacks in a linear platformer, so right away, I was happy to see Crash 3 introduce them. However, I feel the level designers were not really good at making challenging platforming levels of the same quality as in Crash 2, while still making the time trials interesting. As a result, I like the box collecting less, even though I must say I liked the fact they stopped with the really obscure hiding places and scaled down the backtracking a bit. They also fixed the bugginess of Crash 2 and improved the analog controls. However, even though I liked all these aspects, I feel Crash 3 is the weakest of the Naughty Dog games and weaker than XS and N-Tranced, too. The main reason for that being that ~40% of the levels are racing levels of various kinds which were of acceptable quality at best. Especially the god-awful jetski races were seriously getting on my nerves. Also the new control gimmicks like the Bazooka and the double jump were unwelcome.The combination of having considerably worse level design than Crash 2 and mixing it up with subpar racing segments really soured me on Crash 3. Also it was a shame that the time attacks for the platforming levels were so easy where the racing stuff was so difficult in comparison. Due to the many weak levels I decided to only go for gold rather than platinum relics in this game, I reached 105% though.

Crash Bandicoot XS
GBA
D-Pad controls? Yes
Stick controls? No (Yes on GameCube via Game Boy Player, but that of course is only emulating the d-pad)
I've played XS before 3, so I did not realize at the time that it is basically a 2D reimagining of 3. It reuses many assets, enemy types and level ideas. However, surprisingly it is much better than Crash 3. The level design is better, it combines the time attack and the completion aspects way better and the (fewer) special level types play actually well and are fun. Crash Bandicoot XS is quite close to Crash 2 from my perspective, those two are the best Crashs I have played so far. Crash Bandicoot XS is basically a traditional Crash Bandicoot where the camera is rotated to show the game from the side and from my perspective it beats out Crash 1 and especially Crash 3, so great job Vicarious Visions! I have completed the game fully with all platin relics.

Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced
GBA
D-Pad controls? Yes
Stick controls? No (Yes on GameCube via Game Boy Player, but that of course is only emulating the d-pad)
It's basically an easier follow-up to XS, playing almost exactly the same. Thus, it is also a really good game. If it weren't for those infurating ball rolling levels. I love Monkey Ball, but the ball rolling levels in N-Tranced are a travesty and certainly considerably worse than anything in Crash 3. I don't know what they were thinking, but these levels control like ass, are hard as nails on top (at least in time attack) and really soured my experience. There are not that many of these levels, but even one is too much. Nevertheless, if you like Crash Bandicoot, you should just suffer through these levels, because other than that it is a really well made Crash game. I've now finished the game with a rating of 100%, for the relics, at the start I went for platinum, but due to the god-awful ball rolling games I downgraded to gold relics. Can't be bothered to ever play any of the ball rolling levels again to achieve platin relics.

Just read about the involvement of David Siller in the Crash Bandicoot production. Especially, the part about Mark Cerny sounds terrible. Perhaps, the way we've percieved Naughty Dog's role all these years hasn't been accurate.

I don't think Charles Zembillas and Joe Pearson have gotten the credit they deserved either.

Yoshi

I've made some more progress on my venture through the Crash Bandicoot series and finished Wrath of Cortex. Again, similar to Crash 3 and Crash 2: N-Tranced, I only went for the gold relics. Overall though, I got platinum on 10 of the 30 levels (and gold on the other 20) "by accident".

Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex
GCN
D-Pad controls? Yes
Stick controls? Yes (full analog controls)

Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex is basically a level pack to Crash Bandicoot 3. It is structured almost exactly like Crash 3 with 3/5 levels in each world being a platforming level and the remaining 2 levels being special activites. The controls got improved greatly, because the game now has full analog control. The level design is even a tad weaker than in Crash 3 though, so it's a wash.

Regarding the special activites, they got rid of the focus on racing (no more Jet Ski :)), but kept the swimming, as well as the air plane kind of stuff, and added two new activities. That's Coco platforming for one (horrible, boring, slow, completely yuck) and Monkey Ball style ball rolling. After the abysmal ball rolling levels in N-Tranced I am surprised to say that these levels are actually good. Really fun and also well planned for time attack.

One note on the presentation though. The presentation in Crash 1-3 was amazing. Fantastic graphics, great soundtrack. WoC? Not so much. The graphics manage to look worse than on PS1. Not technologically inferior, but way weaker art direction and animation leading to a much rougher look. The music on the other hand was just recycled from Crash 3, so it's good enough, but also all well-known.

Overall, if you like Crash 3, you should definitely play Wrath of Cortex, too. It is a very close follow-up of very similar quality. I played it on the GameCube, where the graphics are reportedly worse than on the other versions, but load times got reduced significantly when compared to the original PS2 release. They are still too long, but sufferable. The graphics, as I said, are bad, but I doubt they are really good on the other systems, because the issue is not mainly a technical one.

Also intersting to note: Even though WoC was the first Crash platformer to release after Naughty Dog left the franchise and is very derivative of Crash 3, there is no mention of Naughty Dog in the credits. However, in 2: N-Tranced, which released long after Sony bought ND, exclusively for GBA, they put ND under special thanks. Was VV just acknowledging their closeness to the source material as opposed to TT, or did ND help with the GBA game in any way?

SNURB

Also intersting to note: Even though WoC was the first Crash platformer to release after Naughty Dog left the franchise and is very derivative of Crash 3, there is no mention of Naughty Dog in the credits. However, in 2: N-Tranced, which released long after Sony bought ND, exclusively for GBA, they put ND under special thanks. Was VV just acknowledging their closeness to the source material as opposed to TT, or did ND help with the GBA game in any way?
Charles Zembillas and Joe Pearson (the two main artists who created the franchise), were tasked by VV and Universal to help with the art direction for CNK. According to Zembillas, VV were able to acquire a hard drive full of ND's assets for the Crash games, hence the incredibly loyal aesthetic to the ND games.

Speaking of WOC, I thought it aged kinda badly, specifically in the art direction. Most of the environments look bland and lack stylization, and each enemy looks like it was drawn by a different artist who was unfamiliar with Crash. Then there's the character designs that look straight out of a Rankin-Bass holiday special, and don't even get me started on those trees that have balls for leaves (which were lifted directly from Sonic 3D Blast).

rjc571

Banned
I've made some more progress on my venture through the Crash Bandicoot series and finished Wrath of Cortex. Again, similar to Crash 3 and Crash 2: N-Tranced, I only went for the gold relics. Overall though, I got platinum on 10 of the 30 levels (and gold on the other 20) "by accident".

GCN
D-Pad controls? Yes

Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex is basically a level pack to Crash Bandicoot 3. It is structured almost exactly like Crash 3 with 3/5 levels in each world being a platforming level and the remaining 2 levels being special activites. The controls got improved greatly, because the game now has full analog control. The level design is even a tad weaker than in Crash 3 though, so it's a wash.

Regarding the special activites, they got rid of the focus on racing (no more Jet Ski :)), but kept the swimming, as well as the air plane kind of stuff, and added two new activities. That's Coco platforming for one (horrible, boring, slow, completely yuck) and Monkey Ball style ball rolling. After the abysmal ball rolling levels in N-Tranced I am surprised to say that these levels are actually good. Really fun and also well planned for time attack.

One note on the presentation though. The presentation in Crash 1-3 was amazing. Fantastic graphics, great soundtrack. WoC? Not so much. The graphics manage to look worse than on PS1. Not technologically inferior, but way weaker art direction and animation leading to a much rougher look. The music on the other hand was just recycled from Crash 3, so it's good enough, but also all well-known.

Overall, if you like Crash 3, you should definitely play Wrath of Cortex, too. It is a very close follow-up of very similar quality. I played it on the GameCube, where the graphics are reportedly worse than on the other versions, but load times got reduced significantly when compared to the original PS2 release. They are still too long, but sufferable. The graphics, as I said, are bad, but I doubt they are really good on the other systems, because the issue is not mainly a technical one.

The GC version's framerate was horribly inconsistent. The other 2 versions are 60 fps constantly. I would rather put up with the minute + load times of the (non-GH) PS2 version than try to stomach the GC version's constantly fluctuating framerate.

Dereck

GCN
D-Pad controls? Yes

I really appreciate this, thanks

Yoshi

I really appreciate this, thanks
Happy to see those mini-reviews are interesting to some :). Three more to come btw, Twinsanity and the two console Titan games. After that I think I have completed all platformers of the series (if the second DS-TItans and the GBA-Titans really are no platformers) :).

The GC version's framerate was horribly inconsistent. The other 2 versions are 60 fps constantly. I would rather put up with the minute + load times of the (non-GH) PS2 version than try to stomach the GC version's constantly fluctuating framerate.
Yes, the framerate really was inconsistent, luckily it was only really sluggish in the beginning of some levels and it did not interfer with gameplay much. However, the GCN port, looking the worst and adding framerate issues certainly is not a good one. I chose the GCN version because I did not trust the 360 emulation of the game, didn't have an original Xbox at the time (now I do and use it to play Twinsanity) and just didn't want to have to deal with the Dual Shock more than necessary.

Charles Zembillas and Joe Pearson (the two main artists who created the franchise), were tasked by VV and Universal to help with the art direction for CNK. According to Zembillas, VV were able to acquire a hard drive full of ND's assets for the Crash games, hence the incredibly loyal aesthetic to the ND games.
Oh, that's interesting, thank you! VV was really successful, too. If someone told me, the first two GBA games were made by the original devs, I would believe it, they are really great handheld conversions and even improve on the PS1 games in some regards (especially the first GBA game).

Speaking of WOC, I thought it aged kinda badly, specifically in the art direction. Most of the environments look bland and lack stylization, and each enemy looks like it was drawn by a different artist who was unfamiliar with Crash. Then there's the character designs that look straight out of a Rankin-Bass holiday special, and don't even get me started on those trees that have balls for leaves (which were lifted directly from Sonic 3D Blast).
I don't know about aging, I think I would have disliked the aesthetics back then already. It's a shame really, because the first three Crash games are among the most beautiful games of that era, particularly Crash 2 (Crash 3 is technically superior but a bit weaker in art direction imo).

SNURB

I don't know about aging, I think I would have disliked the aesthetics back then already. It's a shame really, because the first three Crash games are among the most beautiful games of that era, particularly Crash 2 (Crash 3 is technically superior but a bit weaker in art direction imo).
As a six year old back in 2001, I really didn't mind the aesthetics since I was more excited to have a Crash game on the PS2. But now, I can see how flawed it really is. Since the Crash games were such technical marvels on the PS1, it was a shame seeing it downgrade on the PS2 which was a lot more powerful than its predecessor, especially since it went head to head with Jak & Daxter.

Banzai

I started CTR back up on my vita just for fun and I was wondering: would anyone be interested in compiling a list of Time Trial records by gaffers? you know, to find out who'd beat who if CTR had ever had online multiplayer...?

I'd imagine there would have to be rules, like no illegal skips, maybe only starter characters...and it'd be great if people put forward new records, not the ones they set when playing the game way back when, but that one's optional.

Any interest at all?

I only watched it over the last few days. Fucking AMAZING. I'm going to attempt some speed runs of my own on my next run of the game.

Also I'd love to shout out to the pre-rendered backgrounds in the game that show the islands in the distance. A small touch, but adds so much gravity to the scope of the game. I know their dream was to have one whole seamless world where you literally could see the distant locations rendered (which they finally did with Jak) but I think the pre-rendered stuff has its own charm to it.

Hopefully a revived Crash will be based on the original 3 Wumpa Islands and have a seamless world like the original developers dreamed of.

I started CTR back up on my vita just for fun and I was wondering: would anyone be interested in compiling a list of Time Trial records by gaffers? you know, to find out who'd beat who if CTR had ever had online multiplayer...?

I'd imagine there would have to be rules, like no illegal skips, maybe only starter characters...and it'd be great if people put forward new records, not the ones they set when playing the game way back when, but that one's optional.

Any interest at all?

I'd love to play the game online. What's the method of doing that?

Tizoc

Sorry for the bump
OK so the Crash games are STILL no longer Vita compatible on JP PSN, and the same goes for the Spyro games methinks; why is that? What's happened to the licensing of these games o_O

I finally watched this a month ago and it is amazing. I watched the Crash 2 one also and also partly watched a GTA3 playthrough.

Sorry for the bump
OK so the Crash games are STILL no longer Vita compatible on JP PSN, and the same goes for the Spyro games methinks; why is that? What's happened to the licensing of these games o_O

Can't you use the loophole where it works if you transfer the games via PS3?

Tizoc

YO
Watch the Crash 2 100% AGDQ run when it goes up.
They showed a way to beat Pack Attack without using the jetpack

Dereck

This is a boxart that I put together that I'm gonna print out and use on my copy of the game. If you wanna use this just PM me. Spread it if you want.

Nq1yAwD.jpg

My PS4 Pro is ready for the trilogy. Any word on whether or not this'll be Pro enhanced?

Also, any news on the limited edition physical copy of the game?

This is a boxart that I put together that I'm gonna print out and use on my copy of the game. If you wanna use this just PM me. Spread it if you want.

Nq1yAwD.jpg

That character model doesn't match what's in the remakes, that overall composition is what should've been in the real cover art, damn

Dereck

I beat Crash 1 (1996), and immediately after I played Crash 2.

The difficulty gap between the two games was so large that Crash 2 turned me off.

One thing I noticed is how the game hands you the bonus stages, most of the time I felt like ignoring them because they were handed to me rather than actually trying to complete them because if I didn't I couldn't save.

I haven't continued Crash 2 for those reasons, anyone else feel similar?

Yoshi

Anyone still here ( Afro Republican Afro Republican - maybe it's a thread for you?)? I have now finished the Wii Crash of the Titans and continue my former project of giving mini-reviews of all Crash Bandicoot games:

Crash of the Titans
Wii, 360, PS2, PSP
D-Pad controls? No
Stick controls? Yes
Crash of the Titans retains the idea of stricly linear level progression in almost corridor-like levels. It usually plays from a behind perspective, but some game situations turn towards a side-view. That being said, the focus completely moved from platforming to brawling. There are still a couple of platforming challenges; counting the boarding sequences, it should be about 50% of the gameplay time. But it is neither challenging, nor very good. The brawling comes in two stages. Either you are playing as Crash and have to deal with smaller and bigger enemies, where the bigger enemies are called Titans, or you hijack a Titan and ride it. To hijack a TItan, you need to punch it continously for a couple of punches, until a star bar over his head is filled. Note that if you take a break from punching the Titan - e.g. because you are attacked by other enemies or he blocks - the star bill will very quickly deplete. Later in the game the combination of narrow playfields and several Titans attacking at once makes the fights pretty stressing. In fact, I found it to be pretty unbalanced with items granting you a one-hit-hijack on a Titan, but if you ever lose the Titan in the fight, you are basically fucked and have to try to isolate one Titan for long enough to hijack him, while on the very limited energy Crash has. The life system is also pretty punishing, considering how long and boring some of the missions tend to be. Some good ideas exist in the game, e.g. the boss you need to hijack to destroy things in the environment. But then again, these ideas get repeated in very boring ways and interesingly, sometimes the easier variant follows after a harder one, which makes no sense. Overall, Crash of the Titans is the worst Crash Bandicoot game I have played so far.

Next on is Mind over Mutant on Wii. I promise it will not take another three years :).

Top Bottom