• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy runs at 1440p@30fps on PS4 Pro

Listen at 2:25. https://youtu.be/Rp_NbsW8wyY

I would have loved to play this trilogy at 60fps so it's a bit of a bummer to hear. I guess locking it at 30fps is more faitful to the original trilogy... But hey, i'm still buying this trilogy in a heartbeat!

This and WipEout Omega Collection makes this month truly awesome for the nostalgic PlayStation gamers. ;-)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hi. I don't care what platform you want to play this game on or if you are mad about port begging. Don't crap in this thread or you will miss E3.

sense

Anyone trying to make this into a pro is not capable is just trying to incite fanboy wars. Developers just did not prioritize for it and it is as simple as that. It sucks for 60fps lovers. Besides majority of vicarious visions devs have moved on to destiny pc right?

McDougles

If even Hip Hop Gamer immediately says "it doesn't matter, look at it in action," it says a lot if you care about the framerate of a stylized cartoon linear platformer.

alexbull_uk

All the impressions we've had from people that played the demo have been very positive, so I'm not worried. It'll be fine.

Vinc

Originals were at 30 and with motion blur in this one it should look pretty smooth. It's also gorgeous from videos, I just hope it has downsampling on the Pro for my 1080 TV. I definitely would've loved 60 fps, but I'm not too sad about it.

Saw people ask why 30fps matters in the last thread—these are meant to be improvements, and if these had the same resolution or visuals as the originals, no one would fault anyone for hoping for better visuals

the trailers were in 60fps so I was always under the impression that the game would be too. were the OGs 60fps?
That trailer was, but the original games weren't.

Kind of surprised they weren't able to do more with it, like at least checkerboard up to a higher res.

Is that not what the developer says in this video? I swear he talks about checkerboarding. It's a bit of a frustrating watch though so I don't want to dig back into it.

Regarding that 60fps trailer:

"The Comeback Trailer" was outsourced to Buddha Jones, a marketing company. (https://vimeo.com/194404223) There are lots of strange slowed-down animations and time-stretched segments in the video as well. The second half of the song is stock music and not from the game. You'll notice none of the official YouTube channel's gameplay videos are ever in anything other than 1080/30. This isn't a case of "misleading" anything. This isn't a case of "they targeted 60 and didn't get there." This seems to be a case of "a weird, strangely edited trailer from 3rd party marketing just happened to be rendered out in 4K/60."

--

And regarding the originals, not only were they not 60, in PAL regions they were 25 :V

From playing at PSX the game is slow/loose enough that it really isn't that big of a deal, but it's not like 60 wouldn't be better

I do think it looks nicer in person than most people are expecting though. Not quite Ratchet and Clank by any means but it's good. His fur is fuzzy!

Jazzem

And regarding the originals, not only were they not 60, in PAL regions they were 25 :V

To be fair, at least from what I understand it seems like they were actually optimised for PAL, so although they ran at a slightly lower frame rate they still were speed corrected appropriately. ND definitely deserve kudos for that since that was an outlier in typical NTSC-PAL conversions.

At least I know that's the case for 1, though I'd assume the sequels would follow suit. Though oddly, at least from memory I felt CTR was slower in PAL having played it in both that and NTSC

Toparaman

Banned
The Pro was not designed with doubling framerate (relative to standard PS4) in mind. That has been clear for ages now, arguably as early as when the specs were revealed. I don't understand the vitriol that Bungee got when they said Destiny 2 wouldn't be 60fps on Pro. Take it up with Sony if you have a problem with it.

True Fire

I think Crash is one game where I would prioritize visuals over framerate. I've played it at 20fps on sketchy, blurry emulators. A smooth 30fps is more than enough.

Opa-Pa

Base PS4 should be more than capable of running this at 60fps so it was obvious enough that it was likely a developer choice and thus 30fps on the pro too.

Still super disappointing though. It'll probably be the one thing keeping these from being perfect remakes for me, as everything else looks superb :/ There was some tricky platforming in places in the originals and the games always felt somewhat clunky so I thought 60fps were a no brainer.

But hey that's modern console game development for you.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Regarding that 60fps trailer:

"The Comeback Trailer" was outsourced to Buddha Jones, a marketing company. (https://vimeo.com/194404223) There are lots of strange slowed-down animations and time-stretched segments in the video as well. The second half of the song is stock music and not from the game. You'll notice none of the official YouTube channel's gameplay videos are ever in anything other than 1080/30. This isn't a case of "misleading" anything. This isn't a case of "they targeted 60 and didn't get there." This seems to be a case of "a weird, strangely edited trailer from 3rd party marketing just happened to be rendered out in 4K/60."

--

There's more to the confusion than that. A number of the videos uploaded by official PlayStation accounts are "60fps", including the 20-minute gameplay demo published just last week.

If there is one thing I'll never understand, it's this obsession with 60+FPS. And I've been a gamer for a very long time. I see no problem with this game being 30FPS. Makes me kind of happy to be honest.

But that's just me. I'm sure there a reasons that I can't comprehend at the moment.

If there is one thing I'll never understand, it's this obsession with 60+FPS. And I've been a gamer for a very long time. I see no problem with this game being 30FPS. Makes me kind of happy to be honest.

But that's just me. I'm sure there a reasons that I can't comprehend at the moment.

60 is better, man. i've been playing a whole lot of uncharted 4 online, it's been my most played game for like half a year.

one day, I decided to go back to the campaign and it felt so annoying honestly, how the framerate's half of what it is in multiplayer, despite the graphics being better.

60fps (and higher framerates on PC) will always feel better and look smoother

I agree it isn't unplayable like some like to think, but it's just people wanting their games to be the best they can be (especially if they think there's no reason for it not to be)

Have you played games at higher frames rates? That's all you need to see the difference. The biggest issue for me is how cameras behave in low-fps games. I can't explain it but it makes me nauseous. It's a weird scrolling issue.

60FPS is smooth eyecandy, I definitely prefer it.

If this will be a perfectly stable 30fps than that would be awesome too though.

I don't understand this choice. Why 1440p and why only 30FPS? And wasn't this already confirmed to run at 60 or am I just completely wrong on that?

Jazzem

Greater visual fluidity and improved responsiveness, which for me and many others go a long way in improving action based games.

If it doesn't bother you then that's fine of course! But I think it's also fair if folks are disappointed, as it essentially comes down to wanting a more pleasant player experience. Especially in a linear game like Crash, where you'd assume 60fps would be more attainable than in something more exploratory.

Opa-Pa

Higher fps count means the game is more responsive which is objectively better. People say "I just want games to be fun, I don't care" but 60fps literally makes them more fun to play.

It's the reason why 90% of the big name games back in the NES and SNES era aimed for 60fps.

I feel Crash games are designed around that halve of frame data, they've got a really chill progression that doesn't demand too quick of a reflex. 60fps is always nice, but it shouldn't affect gameplay negatively in any way.

Lifeline

Id expect 4K.. not that I really care.
will play the one year late inferior Switch port

I don't understand the urge

It's like y2k didn't make that post...

Anyway 30fps or 60 I'm glad crash is back man
Y'all better get this we need CtR

I'm still surprised CTR wasn't announced alongside this. PS4/Xbox don't even have a decent kart racer this gen, it would've sold so well. Much better than the trilogy remaster.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

In short, there are two camps: those who'd like the game to be 60fps simply because it's objectively better and those who are irked by games that run at 30fps but don't justify this with industry-leading technology (i.e. 30fps games that "look like" they could easily run at 60fps).

-MD-

The reason is double the frames.

Some folks don't even like to settle for 60 frames anymore, there's a reason I bought a 144hz monitor.

If even Hip Hop Gamer immediately says "it doesn't matter, look at it in action," it says a lot if you care about the framerate of a stylized cartoon linear platformer.

Felt more like he was saving face after just assuming it was 4k 60fps and having the dev correct him.

ghibli99

Some context, please. Is that the kind of thing he immediately points out elsewhere in other games?

Hektor

I'm still surprised CTR wasn't announced alongside this. PS4/Xbox don't even have a decent kart racer this gen, it would've sold so well. Much better than the trilogy remaster.

Nothing stopping them from developing that one next tho. I'm pretty sure if the trilogy sells well (and it will) they'll consider it.

MTC100

Banned
Higher fps count means the game is more responsive which is objectively better.

It also looks or rather feels better, I guess it's yet again a CPU issue which prevents them from hitting 60FPS? Seems strange though, it doesn't look like a cpu heavy game at all. Why don't they just include the option to switch to 1080p@60 then?

-besides I think the vanilla PS4 should be capable enough for handling the game in 1080p@60, I guess devs just don't care about good optimization as people will buy it either way...

farisr

There's more to the confusion than that. A number of the videos uploaded by official PlayStation accounts are "60fps", including the 20-minute gameplay demo published just last week.
YouTube's poor bitrate is to thank for that, a lot of channels put up 60fps videos even of 30fps content to get better quality out of it. The videos are still showing 30fps. So if just seeing the "60fps" by the yt indicator made people more excited for game even though they were looking at 30fps stuff, folks need to reevaluate just how much 60fps actually matters to them.

Top Bottom