• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy: Why are there no subtitles...?

Nicky Ali

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6RFY_fKDWM

So I just recieved the N. Sane Trilogy early and one thing caught me by surprise:

There are no subtitles or captions whatsoever.

This is very disappointing as it means that players who have hearing impairments still can't properly enjoy the cutscenes and dialogue.

No game in the 21st century should release without subtitles. This is very disappointing and I hope they make this a priority as a patch.

I also find it funny that Naughty Dog are now going out of their way to make their games more accessible, but the remake of their original games couldn't even get this right.

Seriously Vicarious Visions, you messed up.

My wife is hard of hearing/mostly deaf and she basically has a running list of games with this bullshit. (Games with cutscenes/story bits before you get to a menu, games with none at all, or just subs for cutscenes and no gameplay, etc.

Guess we can add crash to that list. This needs resolved immediately

Briarios

This definitely needs to be addressed. It is a little strange that in this day and age that it wouldn't be included.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
It is a shame for those that need them. Though if there's one remaster in which you're not missing a great deal in terms of story... it's this one?

bryehn

My wife is hard of hearing/mostly deaf and she basically has a running list of games with this bullshit. (Games with cutscenes/story bits before you get to a menu, games with none at all, or just subs for cutscenes and no gameplay, etc.

I used to be involved in game accessibility, so I understand the frustration. It's really quite common for intro movies/attract modes to be subtitle free, even when the game itself has subtitle options.

Like language settings, you could easily put subtitle options before the game even boots for the first time. Another offence is subs that are barely readable due to tiny fonts. Scaling options should be more commonplace by now.

Marcel

Probably an oversight rather than some kind of malevolent and purposeful exclusion. Just tweet at them or something.

Tarahiro

Hopefully they can be patched in or something.

I'm not deaf but I always have subs on whenever possible because I have aspergers and noise is overwhelming for me. So with subtitles... If the combination of game noise and real life noise gets too much, I can mute the game and still know what is going on.

Must be horrible for people who properly need the subs.

kc44135

Even barring the accessibility argument (which I agree with btw; all games should be as accessible as they can possibly be to everyone), I love subtitles. It's so much easier to comprehend dialogue and banter between characters in games, especially during gameplay where all kinds of crazy stuff is happening and dialogue can easily be drowned out by everything else. Considering that subtitles are pretty much a universal standard in modern games, and even folks without hearing impairment (like myself) tend to like them, VV should absolutely patch 'em in.

Santar

Really annoying!
I'm not deaf but my hearing is pretty bad, so I always use subtitles just to be sure I get everything, so this really sucks to hear.
Oversights like these shouldn't happen.

ghibli99

I'd actually be interested in seeing that list.

HardRojo

They don't? Honestly, I didn't think about this because it's a given at this point, but hopefully they'll patch those in soon.
I turn subs on on everything because I play my games in English (and watch my movie in English too), but it isn't my native language so sometimes I might miss a word or something and it really helps having the subtitles on.

jennetics

That's surprising, really. I always think it's really weird when games decide not to have subtitles. I generally end up skipping games that forego subtitles. Playing games in my quiet-ass house makes subtitles a necessity, not an option.

G-Bus

Banned
Noooooo.

Always play with subtitles. Even when wearing headphones.

Patch this asap please!!!

That's quite the over site. Someone dropped the ball majorly

alexbull_uk

Yeah that sucks, I generally turn subtitles on for all games. Hopefully it's something they can patch in pretty quickly.

Definitely worth drawing attention to it, I think VV would be receptive.

Zubz

Banned
They aren't exactly story heavy games so I'd understand if they weren't even an afterthought. Sucks though.

Definitely. However, all 3 games still have cutscenes. If you can't hear what the characters are saying, they're literally just a floating head bobbing at you. They should hopefully patch them in.

Needs to be patched in asap. How do you overlook this. There is probably 100 lines of dialogue in all those games combined.

You answered your own question. So few lines that they probably simply forgot. All this hyperbolic rage and anger about it is silly. Let them know, they seem like reasonable people. Sounds like an honest mistake, nothing more.

They'll likely be added with a patch.

Toxi

Banned
That's fucking terrible.
You answered your own question. So few lines that they simply forgot. All this hyperbolic rage and anger about it is silly. Let them know, they seem like reasonable people. Sounds like an honest mistake, nothing more.
There are cutscenes in Warped that are literally just one of the villains talking to the screen. That sort of thing absolutely needs a subtitle option.

Jak 3 handled this perfectly, at the beginning of the cutscene, it flashed "Press square to enable/disable subtitles" Never seen a game since that did this.

Can you post the list?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Jak 3 handled this perfectly, at the beginning of the cutscene, it flashed "Press square to enable/disable subtitles" Never seen a game since that did this.
More games need this.

this is something it is put right away in the game, so if they don't have it by now, I doubt they will release it later.

has any games without sub that received a patch later? I can't remember

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
All of these posts and not anyone has said that they've Tweeted them about it yet. They seem to be very responsive on Twitter and i'm sure you'd get a response there.

More games need this.

Uncharted did this. Makes sense, given the developer.

All of these posts and not anyone has said that they've Tweeted them about it yet. They seem to be very responsive on Twitter and i'm sure you'd get a response there.
This, They seem very active and responsive on Twitter, and by now I'm sure they know. It sucks, yes - but to assume they're actively ignoring people with disabilities is stretching it a bit too far, in my opinion. It's a mistake, and I've no doubt it'll be remedied with a patch pretty soon.

It's not just people with disabilities who need subtitles, it's also non-English speakers for whom the game is not translated in their language and without subtitles it's much harder to follow what's going on. Of course in a game like Crash it doesn't matter that much but it's still lame.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Even though my hearing is fine, I still put on subtitles in almost every game I play. Not having them available is disappointing for me, and completely unacceptable when you consider many people need subtitles.

Titania

Just tweeted at them about it. I'm absolutely livid, as it's 2017! Even if a game isn't story heavy, some might still exist, I wanna know what's being said! I'm tired of a lack of captioning on things! I want to experience fully what people raved about as children, or to this day, but a lack of captioning doesn't allow me to!

Merc_

That's a surprising oversight. They seem pretty standard in modern games now.

Hopefully they patch them in quickly.

v1lla21

One would think this wouldn't have been a problem for a game that has such little dialogue, but here we are. Hopefully it gets patched in soon.

Card Boy

Banned
Completely inexcusable. I'm sick of gamers with disabilities being ignored. They deserve a chance to participate just as much as we do.

Its not even people with disabilities that only benefit from them. For me they help me remember names, help follow the story easier, and helps cut through noisy or bad audio.

Any game that doesnt have subs should be refused certification.

Top Bottom