• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Retrospective: Cortex Strikes Back

Thanks for doing these I loved your sonic ones and these will also be amazing!

Love Crash Bandicoot and Crash 2 is most likely my favourite one though I do love Crash Warped as well

Ah Crash 2 where the series got good and while I enjoyed 3 more, it's been 12ish years since I last played them so who knows what I would think now. Definite improvement of the original game got rid of some of the questionable design decisions of that game and the difficulty isn't as crazy as the first game could get at times. That and gem collection and the skull parts of the levels were always interesting.

Nev

Banned
A joy to play from start to finish. No open world lite crap, simple -not filled with overbloated crap- moveset, only a few vehicle/minigames that actually add variety and are enjoyable and a straight hub world with linear, tightly designed levels. Give me more of that please.

It's probably the best platformer of all time for me, I 100% it every year.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Crash 2 is the best crash game period, it's a vast improvement over Crash 1 and Crash 3 failed to live up to the same potential that Crash 2 had.

I mean in Crash 2 the was a least one new type of level introduced in every warp room;

-Warp room 1, all the level are new and gives you a taste of what to come.
-Warp room 2, introduces the sewer and Polar bear level.
-Warp Room 3, introduces the ruins level and changes the bounder level for a giant Polar Bear.
-Warp Room 4, introduces the digging level as well as the bees.
-Warp Room 5, all the levels are brand new.

Now if we compare that to Crash 3 they heavily recycle the level theme for all the warp room and every warp room has at least one vehicle levels, whereas in Crash 2 they were less common and spread out, plus Crash 2 had little secrets to find in levels but Crash 3 only had 2 and one of them was stupidly well hidden.

All Crash 3 has going for it is the power ups, time relics and little detail like collectible making a dynamic sound when collected and the box counter telling the players how many boxes are in a level.

BetaM

Really earns its spot as the second best in the series.
Rough around the edges, rushed and bad collisions, but great movement, atmosphere and level design.
Unlike Crash 1, you barely have to wait for any cycles in this game, which lets you experiment a lot.

Crash 2 is the best crash game period, it's a vast improvement over Crash 1 and Crash 3 failed to live up to the same potential that Crash 2 had.

I mean in Crash 2 the was a least one new type of level introduced in every warp room;

-Warp room 1, all the level are new and gives you a taste of what to come.
-Warp room 2, introduces the sewer and Polar bear level.
-Warp Room 3, introduces the ruins level and changes the bounder level for a giant Polar Bear.
-Warp Room 4, introduces the digging level as well as the bees.
-Warp Room 5, all the levels are brand new.

Now if we compare that to Crash 3 they heavily recycle the level theme for all the warp room and every warp room has at least one vehicle levels, whereas in Crash 2 they were less common and spread out, plus Crash 2 had little secrets to find in levels but Crash 3 only had 2 and one of them was stupidly well hidden.

All Crash 3 has going for it is the power ups, time relics and little detail like collectible making a dynamic sound when collected and the box counter telling the players how many boxes are in a level.

I remember being freaked out when I ran into a random pterodactyl and it took me to a new level.

Top Bottom