• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Retrospective - The Wrath of Cortex

RK128

Wrathofcortex_boxart.jpg

Prior Retrospectives:
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Crash Team Racing
Crash Bash

This game continues the Crash Retrospective and the first game in this series to leap to the PS2/GC/Xbox era of consoles. Sony was done with the IP at this point and it was completely in Universal’s hands. Signing on talented developer Travelers Tales, we got the fourth mainline platformer in the series. Without Naughty Dog, how does this turn out? A lot better than many give it credit for honestly. It has issues, but in the end, it is a nice first shot with the franchise by a new studio and Travelers Tales understood what made Crash great.

Development:
The game started development in 2000 around the time Crash Bash released on the PlayStation One. Universal knew that Naughty Dog will not make the next title in the series, so Mark told Universal that ‘Let me help you guys out, worked with Naughty Dog on the series after all’ and his own studio dubbed ‘Carney Games’ would develop the title.

n5jRXp.gif

It was going to be a free-roaming adventure title ala Jak & Daxter or Mario 64 with puzzle elements with Crash going to different planets. He and Universal signed on a studio called ‘Travelers Tales’ to assist production on the title after an impressive prototype pitch.

If they sound familiar, then you should know them from the LEGO titles. But before they made that series of games their own, they worked on a number of projects like movie titles with Disney that were very solid like Toy Story 2 and even with SEGA on a few Sonic titles on the Genesis and Saturn.

ADg6oj.gif

But Universal went into an agreement with Konami, announcing they would be publishing the series titles while Universal produces the games. This lead to Sony and Mark falling out with Universal and Crash becoming a mascot character for Universal, rather than him being one for Sony.

Having just about 10-12 months to get this new version to get the game complete, Universal told Travelers Tales to rework the game into a more traditional Crash adventure. Crash got slightly redesigned by Craig Whittle (Travelers Tales) and Sean Krankel (Universal), with two features considered during production dropped. One being the concept of mini bosses during levels and the other being multiplayers support. This concept returned much later with the Titans series of games.

concepts-1-1.jpg

The final boss was originally different too, with Crash fighting Crunch in a robotic suit, but toward the end of the fight, it would break apart and the pieces of it taking out Cortex’s mind controlling device he had on Crunch.

crash__coco_and_crunch_arrive_home_by_bandidude-d974lb9.png

The majority of the characters and vehicles in the game were built and textured by Nicola Daly and animated by Jeremy Pardon. The main game systems and game code were coded by John Hodskinson and the game's music is composed by Andy Blythe and Marten Joustra of Swallow Studios. A rearranged version of the original Crash Bandicoot theme by Mutato Muzika's Josh Mancell also appears in the game. The game's sound effects were created by Ron Horwitz, Tom Jaeger, John Robinson, and Harry Woolway of Universal Sound Studios. The game also carries over voice talent new and old, with Clancy Brown voicing Cortex & Uka Uka while Mel Winkler voices Aku Aku. Some new VA’s include Debi Derryberry as Coco and Mark Hamill voicing the elemental mask Py-Ro.

the_spiritual_masks_by_lurking_leanne-d86x92z.png

Universal still wanted to be on good terms with Sony despite the deal with Konami, so they let the game have a timed exclusive run on the PS2 for a few months before getting later GameCube and Xbox ports. This is the most interesting part of the games development, as the PS2 version got two releases. The original run and Greatest Hits run. Why does this matter? As the later version fixed the loading issue (reducing it to 17 seconds) that the original print of the game had (which was a long 47 second loading screen). Originally, Traveler’s Tales was going to have a mini game in the loading screens but due to Bandai-Namco (just Namco at the time), they had to gut the mini game out of the game but did not have time to change the coding of the loading screens. This was a major issue people had with the game during launch.

ThreeRace_1321047867.jpg

Crash The Wrath of Cortex was the very first multiplatform game in the series, with it releasing on PS2 in October 2001 and later on Xbox January 2002, with a late GameCube release in September 2002. The game when it released in Japan contained the hint system from past JP versions of the series games, with Aku Aku giving the player tips as they played through the game.

The later Xbox and GameCube versions fixed the bug, with the Xbox version having added graphical features like fur effects on Crash & friends alongside more detailed textures and higher fidelity. The game also has two cut levels; one being a fire level code named ‘Fire Island’ and its design indicates that it would have used the buggy or some other ride Crash uses. The second one is an unused flying level that has Crash take out Cortex’s airship from the Weathering Heights level. You use the plane and its quite feature complete, indicating that it was likely cut late in development.

Second Thoughts:
NeoGaf Member Edson is was cool enough to cover some stuff I glossed over, so thank you for the help man!

"it wasn't that Sony was done, Universal pulled out. The contract expired.

However while correct about the fall out, you must also remember that the main reason is because Universal wanted Crash on more consoles and have more flexibility (The first GBA Crash game came out shortly after) and the Titans games had nothing to do with Universal.

Namco? Never heard that before, I think it's a myth because there's no further information, all we know is that reviewers sw it on their copies and no one else got it? Also, Fire Island isn't actually cut, it just wasn't explorable.

Actually the story seems to be just that the bad guys have a bad "track record" of spreading evil. Also N/trophy brings up the secret experiment. It's his only line in the game. Also apparently Cortex already knew about the elemental's, odd they didn't use them before hmm.

Then after that Aku Aku feels a presence and a lot of environmental disasters occur, so he goes to some Island in space which possibly may be the one from Crash Bash, which he sees Uka Uka freeing the elemental's, who attack Aku Aku as he flees. (At least we know why these guys were sealed unlike Uka Uka though by whom? eh.)

So apparently you need the power of ancient Crystals, 5 Crystals each will seal back one of the five elemental's. Of course since unlike Crash 3 there's no time traveling, the only reason I can think of in terms of HOW there are still plenty of Crystals on earth is because of the good ending to Crash bash. Also COC has been working on some futuristic teleport chamber..???? Which through the load save screen there, you see a communication from Cortex about his new weapon, Crunch. Who is apparently useless by himself. Even though he looks like he could step on crash and kill him instantly.

Crash 3 has side areas.

Some differences of Wrath of Cortex compared to Crash 3:
  • Some vehicles and Powerup. Including the sphere, and jeeps.
  • More platforming levels
  • If you're under something you can slide infinitely so you don't have to slowly crawl tot he other side.
  • Mocking on monkey Bars is slower.
  • Crates that make you invisible/invincible.
  • CoCo can platform now
  • Levels are longer
  • Technically you fight only one boss in this game.
Japanese Differences:
  • Aku AKu hints (also a few more of his crates in general)
  • Some enemies are missing
  • Crash spin animation is longer.

PAL Differences:
A few levels have a couple more enemies. CoCo levels have frame dips.

Gamecube Version differences:
  • Has cut effects and graphical features, but has cleaner polygons than the PS2 version.
  • Pressing jump in GC version has a slight delay.
  • Connecting a GBA to the Gamecube version will unlock a mini-game
Xbox Version differences:
  • Crash and Coco have fur.
  • Special effects everywhere
  • Shortest load times
  • Better graphics
  • Monkey Bar climbing is slightly faster.

You do not need all the relics for the true ending you can skip 5 of them. Leap not many wanted? Crash was outselling Jak like a hawk, it was the combination of the other versions, along with PS2 version word of mouth (and Jaks cheaper price) that got Jak ahead with longer legs. Wrath of Cortex was lucky to avoid the same fate that fell upon SPyro, whose first next generation game on the PS2 almost killed the franchise immediately, making me wonder how good those first 3 Spyro games really were if it couldn't get past one bad games barely while Sonic can have 5 in a row and still be fine (well maybe not currently but still) and would continue to have yearly releases for the next several years."

Story:
After the events of Crash 3 Warped, Uka Uka continues to show annoyance with Cortex and his minions repeatedly failing against Crash. N. Gin brings up the idea of using a special weapon Cortex has been working on and after telling Uka Uka of this, he give Cortex the power source he needs through four elemental masks. They are called Rok-Ko, Wa-Wa, Ry-Ro and Lo-Lo.

hqdefault.jpg

Like Uka Uka, they were sealed a way but not that they got unleashed, Aku Aku warns Crash and Coco about them, with them going to a familiar warp room with Cortex introducing Crash to Crunch, another more powerful Bandicoot. He hates Crash but really is under mind control. If you get the good ending, he lives with Crash and Coco, apologizing for his actions across the game.

So, like Crash 3, the different elemental masks taunt Crash in-between level warps and they merge with Crunch for really fun boss battles. In the end, the story is decent. Great voice acting all around and the lines the elemental masks offer are funny at points.

Gameplay:
I could literally copy and paste a majority of my Crash 3 Retrospective right here and move on to presentation. I’m serious saying this, as this game is more or less Crash 3.5. The same structure with five tiers of levels, five levels per tier, a secret tier if you collect Time Relics and all the power ups you get form bosses outside of a tip-toe one (which lets you walk over Nitro Crate) are the same.

But one major change is how the levels are a bit more open. You have paths on the sides this time out in some levels and while they are small (just side platforms to hop on), it’s nice that the levels play with the added space you have.

This leads to some issues with the level design, with some levels feeling ‘empty’, causing some of the games platforming levels to get stale after a while. Crash 1-3’s levels are tight and linear, so that allows for more focused platforming. Wrath of Cortex has that too, but with levels being slightly larger, it could lead to some bland levels. I never felt that personally when I played the game, but I can see others having this issue with the game.

crashcube2.jpg

Crash controls very close to his PS1 self but a bit more stiff. He still controls fine and all versions of the game run at a locked frame rate, so things feel smooth. You can also play as Coco in more traditional platforming levels this time out. Her attack is like Crash’s (spin kick instead of a spin) but she is still fun to play as.

The gimmicks that were in Crash 3 come back and it is interesting; they are more common but at the same time, the implementation of them feels a bit better at points. One example is a level where you start out on a mine cart, moving between lines but after 2 or so minutes, you hop off and you are in a traditional Crash level now. Another case is a jungle level where you are playing a traditional Crash level and midway through, you hop in a buggy to run away from large creatures behind you.

crash-bandicoot-the-wrath-of-cortex-5.jpg

You still have levels focused on a specific gimmick like a monkey ball-styled gameplay or hover pack stage that can be a bit boring. But overall, Travelers Tales does a good job with the gimmicks I feel. Naughty Dog had a nice balance but Travelers Tales makes them feel more integrated into the core Crash gameplay.

crash-bandicoot-the-wrath-of-cortex.jpg

This means that the core traditional stages with no gimmicks aren’t common; they make up for 40-50% this time out but I didn’t mind the gimmicks much. One element that comes back from past games though is the death routes, where if you do not die until you reach a specific point, you can access a secret area. Same with bonus rounds too, they come back from Crash 3.

The last part of the gameplay is the time relics and they come back, working like how they did in Crash 3. You have three tiers (Gold, Sapphire, and Platinum) and they are needed to unlock the secret tier of stages.

In addition to the relics, the gems and the crystals return and you collect them across the game. Both work like they do in past Crash adventures, so will just sum that up here; Crystals are in plain sight and are very easy to spot, Gems are either collected
from going down secret paths (colored or grey) or from smashing all the boxes (grey).

Code:
[IMG]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RA2CbhDEtns/maxresdefault.jpg[/IMG]

The bosses against Crunch are all very fun and rather than having a complete breakdown of each one like in the Crash 3 Retrospective, will just cover them here swiftly. The first one works like the Monkey Ball like-stages, another one is a platforming level where you dodge attacks before you can spin into him and another one has you fighting him in a plane shooting him down after merging with the Thunder Mask. They are all quite fun and I enjoyed going through all of them.

Code:
[IMG]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/6czs8JXNIFM/maxresdefault.jpg[/IMG]

Presentation:
The game is quite the looker even years later. The Xbox version has fur effects that look really nice and match the games art direction and style. Visually the game looks solid, continuing the Naughty Dog look that the series had prior on the PS1 and seeing it migrate on newer consoles at the time was impressive, despite the characters looking a bit off at first.

graphics-1.jpg

Musically, this is a fantastic score with many strong tracks. We have the Warp theme from Crash 3 return but many of the tracks are brand new. They match the tone of Crash and I really enjoyed listening to the OST while running through the game.

Warp Room Theme - Tornado Alley - Compactor Reactor - Sea Shell Shenanigans - H2 Oh No - Tsunami - Weathering Heights (My favorite track in the game)

Overall:
This game isn’t perfect; the over usage of gimmicks can turn people away…..but that happened with Crash 3 too. Like Crash 3, this is a very solid game that does a lot right. Level designs feel fun, the controls are good, it looks great visually and in the end, Travelers Tales made a great Crash title.

Code:
[IMG]http://www.crashmania.net/images/games/crash-bandicoot-the-wrath-of-cortex/artwork/promotional-images/promo-1-3.jpg[/IMG]

Just wasn’t the ‘leap’ many wanted from the series during 2001, more so when we were treated to Naughty Dog’s own ‘Jak & Daxter’. But we got a great game here and the next game is a treat to cover.

Crash Twinsanity is a game I wanted to really sit down and write about for a long time, and honestly, is a big reason I started this Retrospective series. So, let’s all get crazy as next time out we will be visiting N. Sanity Island once more with a new adventure for Crash.

Ash735

This game was always odd for me, it felt close to traditional Crash, but you could feel something was off, for me, the music was what threw me here, the games score feels oddly clinical and techno at times. The other thing was the shift from sprites to EVERYTHING needing a 3D model, so things like the HUD, which had an ugly Crash head model, etc, just didn't look as good as the stylised Naughty Dog games, it made some things feel "Slower", such as the Check Points, which were sprite text in the PS1 games, would float up and then quickly zap off to the side, here, they're 3D and they kinda feel heavy. Just all these small things adding up to take away from the game.

RK128

This game was always odd for me, it felt close to traditional Crash, but you could feel something was off, for me, the music was what threw me here, the games score feels oddly clinical and techno at times. The other thing was the shift from sprites to EVERYTHING needing a 3D model, so things like the HUD, which had an ugly Crash head model, etc, just didn't look as good as the stylised Naughty Dog games, it made some things feel "Slower", such as the Check Points, which were sprite text in the PS1 games, would float up and then quickly zap off to the side, here, they're 3D and they kinda feel heavy. Just all these small things adding up to take away from the game.

I think I get what you're saying; the games focus on 3D objects/textures gives it a 'artificial' look that the older games did not have. I can understand that and when I played the game originally, felt that to. Going back, don't mind it much but can completely understand your point.

The music is something I really loved here though, so guess I'm an outside in that regard.

emrober5

The only post ND Crash that I played, and I actually really enjoyed it.

I played on PS2 with those awful load times though, that's the only thing that really stands out as a negative.

RK128

I need to play this, should I get it for Xbox?

Yes; best version of the game hands down. Better visuals & the loading issue removed. I think it was BC with the 360 and you could download the Xbox version of XBLA on 360....not sure about that though.

Timu

Yes; best version of the game hands down. Better visuals & the loading issue removed. I think it was BC with the 360 and you could download the Xbox version of XBLA on 360....not sure about that though.
Very nice, will get it sometime this year, maybe weeks from now.

zoukka

Series was dead to me with this game. Warped already tested my patience with the gimmick levels, but at least they were somewhat balanced and the traditional levels were great. Nothing really clicked with this one and the loading times were like a minute at some point wtf.

RK128

Series was dead to me with this game. Warped already tested my patience with the gimmick levels, but at least they were somewhat balanced and the traditional levels were great. Nothing really clicked with this one and the loading times were like a minute at some point wtf.

The loading screens being long was because they planed for a mini game to be included in them, but Namco had the trademark for that. So, it was a last minute cut and it was so last minute, the coding in the game couldn't be editing to fix the loading screen.

Not that bad of a Crash game. There are much worse games in the series. (We'll get there!) I still defend this one to this day. Not as solid as ND's work, but still a fun little platformer.

RK128

Not that bad of a Crash game. There are much worse games in the series. (We'll get there!) I still defend this one to this day. Not as solid as ND's work, but still a fun little platformer.

Exactly :). Solid game that does quite a bit right despite some issues.

Tizoc

The loading screens being long was because they planed for a mini game to be included in them, but Namco had the trademark for that. So, it was a last minute cut and it was so last minute, the coding in the game couldn't be editing to fix the loading screen.
But okami ps2 had minigames during loading screens wouldnt namco's trademarking come after that? Okami released years after crash woc

KevinCow

Banned
This was the first Crash game I played, since I didn't own a PS1 in its heyday. I don't remember much about it, but I seem to remember enjoying it decently enough. When I later got around to the PS1 games, I realized that this game was seriously lacking in original ideas. But it was still fun enough, so I'm not sure why it gets so much hate.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
The only post ND Crash that I played, and I actually really enjoyed it.

I played on PS2 with those awful load times though, that's the only thing that really stands out as a negative.

Same here (sans the gimmicky tag-racing game they put out). I must've played the greatest hits version, as I never understood the long loading times complaint.

All in all, I remember the game being very decent.

Kasper

I hated this game when I bought it. I still beat it, but it felt like such an empty husk of a game. Controls were slightly off, levels were incredibly boring and felt empty and lifeless, you just fighting the same character over and over again in boss battles was a huge letdown, the way Crash interacted with the environment also felt different and off compared to previous games. I have never gone back to this game since beating it back in the day, but maybe I should just to see if I still feel the same way about it.

Tapejara

I have an odd relationship with this game. On the one hand I knew something was off when I first played it, but I was a kid so I was just happy for more Crash Bandicoot. But at the same time I played WoC a lot (not as much as Crash 2, mind you) and I'm somewhat nostalgic for it. Overall it's an alright game. I hope it comes to PS4 as a PS2 classic so I can replay it.

sinxtanx

Garbage.

Much slower than the PS1 games, some of the most uninspired level design I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing, ambiguous hitboxes for level hazards, graphics have that special blend of flat and safe, vehicles are as boring as they ever were and more, powerups lifted straight from 3 instead of building upon the moveset from 3 except tiptoes which is something like the least useful powerup in history, MORE MASKS CAN'T EVER HAVE ENOUGH MASKS, music is shit.

I bought and played through this game. For a while it was my only PS2 game. I tried to like it, I really did. Crash was my favorite series on the PS1. This game taught me to carefully watch who had made the games I bought. Jak II taught me to trust nobody.

Scotia

Banned
To me, this is the last good Crash game. It has its problems, but it's still enjoyable. Everything turned to shit after this one.

Burbeting

Banned
Not a bad game, but it was very clear that the developers were just trying to emulate Crash 3 through and through, which in turn made this game feel completely soulless and without any real passion behind it. Same problem would be easily seen in Crash Nitro Kart in it'so try to emulate CTR instead.

Still, Wrath of Cortex isn't awful. The Base gameplay is serviceable, and the Crash 3 formula does work mostly, so the game wasn't horrible or anything.

Still, there were some legitimate problems. The sense of depth was missing in lot of the levels, which caused at least me to miss lot of the jumps in spots where it was not simply possible to know what is the correct spothe to land. The worst offender for sure was the Gem Route in the Coco stage "Tsunami" where you have to make ridiculously precise jumps, while it was almost impossible tof know for sure what place was the correct one to land said jumps due to weird issues with depth.

Still, the game is fairly enjoyable even if it's very soulless by itself. It did create the foundations to Crash Twins amity which was mechanically better, even though very flawed by itself.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Not a single mention I the GOD AWFUL load times? For shame. Oh wait you did. Never mind lol. The super long load screens ruined a game that already wasn't very good. It took everything bad about Crash 3 and doubled down on it. The core gameplay itself was serviceable but that's all, and absolutely not worth the gimmicky bullshit you have to put up with as well as the terrible load times.

The only good thing to come from Wrath of Cortex was a joke Cortex makes in Twinsanity.

Rajang

Garbage.

Much slower than the PS1 games, some of the most uninspired level design I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing, ambiguous hitboxes for level hazards, graphics have that special blend of flat and safe, vehicles are as boring as they ever were and more, powerups lifted straight from 3 instead of building upon the moveset from 3 except tiptoes which is something like the least useful powerup in history, MORE MASKS CAN'T EVER HAVE ENOUGH MASKS, music is shit.

I bought and played through this game. For a while it was my only PS2 game. I tried to like it, I really did. Crash was my favorite series on the PS1. This game taught me to carefully watch who had made the games I bought. Jak II taught me to trust nobody.

Well said.

Catvoca

Banned
To me, this is the last good Crash game. It has its problems, but it's still enjoyable. Everything turned to shit after this one.

Yeah, I liked this game a lot. It was more Crash 3 and Warped was a fine game so why not? I'd take another Crash game like this over any of the gimmicky stuff they did afterwards.

NotLiquid

It was mostly what I could ask for in a Crash game but it was also around this time I realized that I was completely over the series and nothing has changed since then. The series needed a revamp and Twinsanity was the only ray of light this series saw after the original trilogy. Unfortunately it never did well on that later on in the series' life.

Basically a lot of the reservations I have from a "grand revival" can be attributed to this game and how I don't have much of an attachment to the classic formula anymore.

alexbull_uk

You know, I've never been able to put my finger on what it is that feels "off" about WoC, but I think you nailed it.

theecakee

They changed way to much stuff that didn't need to be changed. It just kind of felt like Crash but not really.

Crash Twinsanity on the other hand I feel like does a lot of interesting and good changes.

Arkam

Pretty sure I got my fist grey hairs from just the loading screens alone.

Oh god the loading screens!!!! They are the reason this gane will always be trash for me. Not sure I personally every played a PS2 game with worse loading screens. The first time I ran out of lives and was forced to go through the "loading hell" I was physically ill. The round trip from "in level" to the frond end and back must have been close to 5minutes. It made many PSX games seem quick. ANd compared to GC games it was shocking!

The actual gameplay if I remember was decent enough.... though I never saw enough of it to fairly critque.

These damned loading screens....yes still VERY bitter

I think the biggest thing people overlook is that this is the first Crash platformer to have 60fps, I don't mind the 30 in the original trilogy, it's good enough, but having some smoother animations (even if there weren't probably as much unique animations as Warped) was a plus in my case.

Let's not forget that on the GC+Xbox versions of this game, you can get a 100% completion by simply entering Wombat into your file name.
It's a reference to one of Crash's old names, Willie the Wombat

Hugstable

Banned
Really like this game, not as much as ND crash games (1 and 2 were my favs!), but it was a mich better game than many gave it credit for at the time.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I have played this recently (GameCube, so acceptable load times) and gameplay-wise I preferred it over CB3, which I found rather weak. I was particularly surprised by the quality of the ball rolling segments (which were actually both, good and difficult). The side activities were better than in CB3, the rest was not worse. With one exception: The visuals. CBWoC looks really bad and I think all three PS1 CBs look considerably better.

This is the game that marked the downfall for me (and funny enough Twinsanity while didn't rekindle my love I liked quite a bit).

Loading times were the first big problem, the animations and speed weren't as snappy as in Crash 2 and 3 and when I later bought the Gamecube version to get around the load times I experienced slowdowns on parts that made no sense.

Just a very uneven game. Shame since I think if this had a bit longer dev time and polish it could have been a decent addition to the post ND era.

I was one of the peasants who didn't own a PS1, and when I got a PS2 for Christmas by parents were kind enough to grab a bunch of these Best Buy "double pack" greatest hits games which included this, Ratchet and Clank, Ace Combat, Pac Man World (idk the number), WaveRace?, and a few others.

I remember liking this game quite a bit, even though I didn't have any other game in the series. Ratchet and Clank definitely was the standout although stupid preteen me got stuck fairly quickly.

I would love to play Crash! The Bandicoot again though...

it wasn't that Sony was done, Universal pulled out. The contract expired.

However while correct about the fall out, you must also remember that the main reason is because Universal wanted Crash on more consoles and have more flexibility (The first GBA Crash game came out shortly after)

The Titans games had nothing to do with Universal.

Namco? Never heard that before, I think it's a myth because there's no further information, all we know is that reviewers sw it on their copies and no one else got it?

Fire Island isn't actually cut, it just wasn't explorable.

Actually the story seems to be just that the bad guys have a bad "track record" of spreading evil. Also N/trophy brings up the secret experiment. It's his only line in the game. Also appparently Cortex already knew about the elementals, odd they didn't use them before hmm.

Then after that Aku Aku feels a presence and a lot of environmental disasters occur, so he goes to some Island in space which possibly may be the one from Crash Bash, which he sees Uka Uka freeing the elementals, who attack Aku Aku as he flees. (At least we know why these guys were sealed unlike Uka Uka though by whom? eh.)

So apparently you need the power of ancient Crystals, 5 Crystals each will seal back one of the five elementals. Of course since unlike Crash 3 there's no time traveling, the only reason I can think of in terms of HOW there are still plenty of Crystals on earth is because of the good ending to Crash bash. Also COC has been working on some futuristic teleport chamber..???? Which through the load save screen there, you see a communication from Cortex about his new weapon, Crunch. Who is apparently useless by himself. Even though he looks like he could step on crash and kill him instantly.

Crash 3 has side areas.

• If you're under something you can slide infinitely so you don't have to slowly crawl tot he other side.
  • CoCo can platform now
  • Levels are longer

Japanese Differences:

PAL Differences:

• A few levels have a couple more enemies. CoCo levels have frame dips.

• Has cut effects and graphical features, but has cleaner polygons than the PS2 version.

• Shortest load times
  • Better graphics

You do not need all the relics for the true ending you can skip 5 of them.

Leap not many wanted? Crash was outselling Jak like a hawk, it was the combination of the other versions, along with PS2 version word of mouth (and Jaks cheaper price) that got Jak ahead with longer legs.

Wrath of Cortex was lucky to avoid the same fate that fell upon SPyro, whose first next generation game on the PS2 almost killed the franchise immediately, making me wonder how good those first 3 Spyro games really were if it couldn't get past one bad games barely while Sonic can have 5 in a row and still be fine (well maybe not currently but still) and would continue to have yearly releases for the next several years.

I refuse to acknowledge the existence of any Crash game post CTR.

Which is stupid because Nitro Kart is basically CTR< and Twinsanity is amazing.

I feel like people who say this were the ones who didn't understand what was happening back in the day and thought Crash was sold. SO they still are butth- I mean incorrectly hurt about it.

RK128

it wasn't that Sony was done, Universal pulled out. The contract expired.

However while correct about the fall out, you must also remember that the main reason is because Universal wanted Crash on more consoles and have more flexibility (The first GBA Crash game came out shortly after)

The Titans games had nothing to do with Universal.

Namco? Never heard that before, I think it's a myth because there's no further information, all we know is that reviewers sw it on their copies and no one else got it?

Fire Island isn't actually cut, it just wasn't explorable.

Actually the story seems to be just that the bad guys have a bad "track record" of spreading evil. Also N/trophy brings up the secret experiment. It's his only line in the game. Also appparently Cortex already knew about the elementals, odd they didn't use them before hmm.

Then after that Aku Aku feels a presence and a lot of environmental disasters occur, so he goes to some Island in space which possibly may be the one from Crash Bash, which he sees Uka Uka freeing the elementals, who attack Aku Aku as he flees. (At least we know why these guys were sealed unlike Uka Uka though by whom? eh.)

So apparently you need the power of ancient Crystals, 5 Crystals each will seal back one of the five elementals. Of course since unlike Crash 3 there's no time traveling, the only reason I can think of in terms of HOW there are still plenty of Crystals on earth is because of the good ending to Crash bash. Also COC has been working on some futuristic teleport chamber..???? Which through the load save screen there, you see a communication from Cortex about his new weapon, Crunch. Who is apparently useless by himself. Even though he looks like he could step on crash and kill him instantly.

Crash 3 has side areas.

• CoCo can platform now
  • Levels are longer

Japanese Differences:

PAL Differences:

• A few levels have a couple more enemies. CoCo levels have frame dips.

• Shortest load times
  • Better graphics

You do not need all the relics for the true ending you can skip 5 of them.

Leap not many wanted? Crash was outselling Jak like a hawk, it was the combination of the other versions, along with PS2 version word of mouth (and Jaks cheaper price) that got Jak ahead with longer legs.

Wrath of Cortex was lucky to avoid the same fate that fell upon SPyro, whose first next generation game on the PS2 almost killed the franchise immediately, making me wonder how good those first 3 Spyro games really were if it couldn't get past one bad games barely while Sonic can have 5 in a row and still be fine (well maybe not currently but still) and would continue to have yearly releases for the next several years.

Thank you for this information and I'm glad I covered the game better this time! Took your comments in the the CTR and Crash Bash Retrospectives to heart; will try to be more thorough when covering games for the Retrospectives.

Nah, the Fall honestly started with the Titans series and even then, those were good/okay games. Just....very different then what people expected gameplay wise.

The fall was Activision moving all their studios to GH, Sylanders, and COD so they ended up with no studios to make more Crash.

Ravensoft Singularity didn't sell 483489374394739487934 million so they were used for online.

Sierra itself was closed

Radical had to have Prototype 2 sell and it didin't sell 89345893483904 million so Activision have them on maps.

Rinse and repeat, I think the only one left is Beenox whichI think did the Spider-man games.

Again though sa I said before I think WoC really showed people what Crash 3 really was under the hype. a good game, however, a lot of things that people complained about WoC, were in Crash 3.

jrmanimal

I never beat it, but I kinda liked this as a kid. Average game, far from the best Crash, but I still had my share of fun.

Bosses were boring. I love Crash villains, so Crush after Crush after Crush was a bummer. If they bring back Crash, I hope they give the villains some love...I love Dingodille, Tiny, Ripper Roo, Pinstripe, etc.

njr

When I first played this game I knew something was off, I wasn't aware of how publisher/developer deals were done. But I was able to tell it wasn't made by the same developers. It turned out to do nothing new nor have much interesting levels, so it made me appreciate the Naughty Dog developed games much more.

I never beat it, but I kinda liked this as a kid. Average game, far from the best Crash, but I still had my share of fun.

Bosses were boring. I love Crash villains, so Crush after Crush after Crush was a bummer. If they bring back Crash, I hope they give the villains some love...I love Dingodille, Tiny, Ripper Roo, Pinstripe, etc.

Play Twinsanity

Top Bottom