• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Retrospective - Warped

RK128

crash-bandicoot-is-platform-video-game-franchise-originally-developed-by-naughty-dog-for-son-computer-entertainment.png

Past Retrospectives:
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back

Our spin through the Crash series continues with Naughty Dog's final platforming adventure for the Bandicoot. This adds a lot to the series formula with Crash having more rides to use and the level themes having more verity. Crash 3 is one of the strongest PlayStation 1 games out there, so lets take a look into why this Warp is one you should revisit.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The games production began in January 1998 with Naughty Dog having 10 & 1/2 months to complete the game with a 2.2$ million budget. Andy Gavin and other programs Stephen White & Greg Omi decided to work on three new gameplay styles for the game. All three had unique game engines built from scratch to work with the styles, with two of the engines being focused on three-dimensional gaming.

medieval.jpg

Those were the Air Plane and Jet-Ski stages with the final engine being used for the motorcycle gameplay portions. They were to make up a third of the core game, with the rest being a mixture of iconic Crash styled levels and riding levels where Coco, Crash's sister, riding a tiger.

Originally, they were considering dropping the core Crash stages outright but Jason Rubin decided to keep that style of gameplay to not 'abandon that style of gameplay that would mean abandoning a significant portion of gamers'.

n-tropy-origins-3-1-2.jpg

Technical elements discussed during development was giving Crash a real shadow after Sony Computer Entertainment being 'sick of that little discus that's following him around' and when creating the water for the game, an environment map reflecting the sky was fitted onto the surface of the water to make it look more realistic.

Charles Zembillas reprises his role at art director/designer for Crash Bandicoot 3. Uka Uka was created as a presence that would cause Doctor Neo Cortex to cower in fear. The emotion sketches depicting Cortex begging for forgiveness inspired the shot design and animation for the game's cinematic introductory sequence. Because the game's plot involved time travel, the time-traveling secondary antagonist Doctor Nefarious Trophy was conceptualized. Zembillas drew the first sketches of Trophy (and the doodle he created as Naughty Dog was describing the character to him) on January 22, 1998. Some fun little trivia is that Crash got a odd design in Japan and it looked so off, that Naughty Dog dubbed it 'Fake Crash'. You can see him if you beat the game 100% and go to one of the jet-ski levels.

The game released November 4th 1998 for the NA, December 5th 1998 in EU, and very late in Australia on October 31st, 2000. It was met with widespread critical and commercial acclaim. This was the final Naughty Dog platformer in the series and originally the final Crash game for the studio.

Before I move on to the story portion, NeoGaf Member Edson was able to talk about the differences between the versions of the games. This is great information I did not go over, so thank you man for the information!

Edson: "Wait Crash 2 had duel shock support in the U.S. in alter copies.However the japanese version does have some uh, questionable additions like this playing after defeating Tiny Tiger :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnP-lMWs4XA

Trying to remember because I played it once, the two headed guys in the later village level only have one head. Crash and COCO make annoying sounds after doing actions similar to Megaman X4, Aku Aku crates give hints which I think is a bit insulting unless japanese players really find it that hard, and quite a few things are removed. Enemies are missing, pits are missing, some icons look like place holders, and you get a cheat code after beating the game. Pal one is interesting as well, such as the underwater levels turning all Aku AKu crates into regular boxes if you have 2 masks. I think they did that because you can't get 3 in those but the reason still is a bit odd. Also Pal version fucked up the Bazooka controls."

More information I found regarding regional differences include the following thanks to the Crash Wiki Page:

Japan:
  • The title screen is different, replacing the clock with the Earth and featuring a dancing Crash. The music is also completely different.
  • Crash's icon when entering levels is different.
  • When Aku Aku is collected, he will sometimes inform the player about various aspects of the game in a tutorial-like manner. This does not happen in Time Trials.
  • The "TNT" label on TNT boxes has been replaced with an image of a bomb.
  • The relic times are different.
  • The relic times in Hot Coco and Eggipus Rex are the same times as in the levels you warp to those levels from in US version, while that's not the case in other versions.
  • Crash and Coco now make exclamations like "Yeeeey!" in various situations when riding the motorcycle and jet-ski respectively. Pura and the T-Rex also make exclamations.
  • The two-headed enemies have one less head.
  • Fake Crash has been omitted from Toad Village and Makin' Waves, but has been added to Hog Ride.
  • Bonus videos are unlocked after you defeat each boss. The fifth video can also be viewed when booting the game just like in the second game, except you must hold Down + Triangle + L1 + R2. Again, you must reset your console after it finishes.
  • Support for the PocketStation (a Japan-only peripheral similar to the Dreamcast's VMU) was added. By connecting the game with a PocketStation, you will unlock a Tamagotchi-esque minigame.

European Differences
  • Manual doesn't tell the code to input in the title screen that let's you play Spyro The Dragon demo.
  • Also there are three quotes from different sources in US version that display before gameplay, those are not in EU version.
  • The relic times are different. US times are rounded to the nearest 30th of a second and end in 0, 3 or 6 always. European times are rounded to the nearest 25th of a second and thus, the hundredths are always divisible by 4 (except when they end in 2) and are never odd numbers.
  • The relic times in Hot Coco and Eggipus Rex are the same as Road Crash and Dino Might! respectively as a glitch in the US version, while that's not the case in this version.
  • Developer times have been removed.
  • The US version will give you two Aku Aku masks if you keep dying on a level. The European version will never give you more than one, which is how it was in both the US and European versions of the second game.
  • When you have two Aku Aku masks, all mask crates in the underwater levels will become normal crates. This doesn't happen in the US version, but it's impossible to have three masks underwater, so breaking a 3rd mask crate will do nothing.
  • The wizard enemies take two hits to defeat. After the first hit, they'll lose their beard and robes, exposing their underwear. This still occurs in the US version if you hit them with the bazooka, but otherwise they go down in one hit.
  • The knight enemies and two-headed enemies swing their weapons at a faster rate.
  • The UFOs take less time to charge up their beams.
  • The missile-shooting robots shoot four missiles instead of three.
  • When entering a level in the US version, the same sound as in Crash 2 is heard. In the European version, a new sound is used.
  • The option to reverse the vertical aim for the Fruit Bazooka has been removed.
  • Fake Crash also makes an appearance in Hog Ride.
  • Many Aku Aku crates have been transformed into normal ? crates, that transform back into Aku Aku crates if the player dies enough times.
  • When the timer in Time Trial mode reaches 10 minutes, while in US version the clock disappears and level returns to normal, in EU version the clock stays at 9:59:96 and numbers change color and the level stays in time trial mode.
  • When you choose quit from the pause menu, the game asks if you want to quit.

The story of Crash 3 is that after Crash blows up Cortex's base in the end of Crash 2, the base crashes on an island and unleashes the evil Uka Uka. This mask spirit has been working with Cortex since day one, helping him through his plans and instructing him on what to do next. After being tired of him failing, he summons N. Trophy to use his Time-Twisting Machine to take Crystals and Gems from the past and future.

Aku Aku, the mask that has been protecting Crash all this time, informs him and Coco of the dangers of Uka Uka and brings them to the Time-Twister machine to get the crystals and gems before Cortex, Uka Uka and his band of rouges takes them all.

aba2bf62801dfa89c8953f834e2d8504.jpg

Crash spins into action and with the help of Coco, goes through various time periods to collect everything. I really like this set up as it allows for a lot of creativity with the locations you visit across the game.

The cut-scenes and interactions with Cortex, Dingodile, N. Trophy, N. Gin and Tiny are all very well done thanks to strong animation work, great voice acting and outstanding lip-syncing for the time period.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

The gameplay of Crash 3 continues with Crash spinning, sliding, and jump across the levels. One interesting thing to note is how much 3D platforming you do in the game, as almost every major level with traditional Crash gameplay focuses on 3D platforming with an extra 2D portion or the bonus round 2D section.

tumblr_mu07i9D5tF1qk08j9o2_250.gif

So, the core gameplay is great still and the new level themes make everything stronger. You have Crash visiting the future with convater belts, running across rooftops with people swinging swords, him running through the middle ages with dangerous frogs wanting to kiss Crash and the riding levels being done with Coco this time out on a tiger in China.

giphy.gif

Having such level verity on visuals alone, helped Naughty Dog flex their creative bones, leading to the core Crash gameplay being some of the strongest it has ever been. This is further pushed with a new collectable; the Time Relics. These are the time trails for every single level and you can freeze the clock for X amount of time based on numbered boxes you break. If you loved games like Sonic the Hedgehog, these will make you happy as you are dashing through the level at your top speed.

You have one of three types of Relics you can find; Sapphire, Gold and Platinum. You only need the Sapphire ones to unlock all the hidden levels but getting gold or platinum feels so rewarding. So that covers it for Crash's main gameplay, but what about the other styles?

Crash 3 introduces a few new gameplay styles into the series and we will go in order. Crash can swim underwater with a few 2D stages where he dons scuba-gear and swims. These control well with Crash having the ability to swim faster when you mash the X button and his trademark spin can still be used. Crash also can hop on a ride underwater that speeds up his movement and have the ability to shoot missiles (breaking boxes and foes like Sharks).

latest

But the biggest new addition are the three rides Crash & Coco can use; the Bi-Plane, the Motorcycle and the Jet Ski. The Bi-Plane allows you to fly in the sky, roll to dodge incoming fire and shoot down boxes & blimps. The goal for these stages is for Crash and Coco to take out X amount of objects all the while breaking all the boxes hanging off balloons. Both Crash and Coco use the plane and it controls well enough. A secret stage called 'Rings of Power' has Crash moving very fast in the plane as well.

The Motocycle is something only Crash can ride and its okay. You can move left or right, hold down X to move forward and your end goal is to beak all the boxes all the while getting first place at the end of the goal. These can be fun and I honestly enjoyed these levels. They can be hard to control sometimes though.

Roadcrash.png

Last new ride is the Jet-Ski and it pops up often. Coco is the only one that uses this and it opens the doors for some of the larger levels in the game. You explore a ocean during pirate times, with pirate ships, sailors and more blocking your path. Coco's goal is to find the exit warp and break all the boxes. The controls here are simple; hold X to move forward and use the left stick to move around. You can hop off of ramps if you build up enough speed and can even dive into the water for some extra lives if you hit it with enough impact after a jump.

What makes all these styles work is that they control well, are fun and do not detract from the core platforming experience. You still have a good 60% of the
game dedicated to core Crash gameplay we saw in past titles and Naughty Dog struck a good balance between old and new with this angle.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Before moving on to the bosses though, NeoGaf Member Edson was nice enough to share some thoughts and go over a few points I glossed off of, so thank you man for the help!

Edson:
"Fun fact, CTR was originally going to be the third game and was worked on at the same time.

I would say however Crash 3 has less level variety, crash 3 has:
Egypt
Village
Highway
Plane
Future
Ruin
Water
Tiger
Dinosaur

While Crash 2 has:
Snow
Jungle
Boulder
Surf River
Jetpack
Robot
Bee
Polar bear
Sewer
Darkness
Temple

I feel 3 kind of focused a bit much on making a completely different game with crash in the title and having over half your game REQUIRING vehicles, not just usage in general, shows this. After you beat the game 100%, I forgot which jet ski level but one of them has fake crash doing a dance, I reloaded and can confirm it only works after 109%.

One part of the story that you forgot to address, and they never really do anything about until the 100% ending, after defeating N.Tropy they say the time twister has gone crazy. You are the first person I've seen who has said the motorcycle controls are good. One of the gems can't be gotten without getting a gold gem in each level. Some levels uts impossible to get the gold gem without using the last power up, speed shoes. Also, this is the first crash to give you the total boxes in a stage from the hud.

Speaking of relics, I do not remember if they are in the crystal credits or if just the 100% credits but in those creduts they list the "developer times" for the time trials harder than the platniym relics. Now of course you don't get anything for them, making platinum the last relic tier. But if you're crazy why not.

If you play it on a PSone the fame runs at 60fps...sometimes.

This game has a demo for Spyro the Dragon 1 built in.a decent demo as well. In fact there's a glitch where you can play an extra world, missin some gems though. There are secret areas like in crash 2 that can send you to secret levels, like the alien sign in the second motorcycle level. No secret warp room though. Oddly, the motorcycle level with the ufos is NOT the level you unlock if you hit that sign, it's a Coco het ski level. Intentional or a mistake that's just weird."

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Bosses should be noted, as they are all quite fun. Tiny is the first boss and it is a simple set up where you have to take him out by letting him send his lion army out first before he bounces around three times. After jabbing his spear into the ground, you can spin into him for a blow. Do this three times and its done! Crash gets the power up that allows for a more powerful belly flop.

tumblr_mu07i9D5tF1qk08j9o1_250.gif

The second boss is Dingodile, as he surrounds himself with barriers for each round and when you find an opening you spin into him. After a few hits, he goes down and you get the very helpful double jump move.

The third boss is N. Trophy, as he has a few phases. He sends out a few waves of energy that you have to jump over and after this happens a few times, he tires out and you can then jump across a few platforms to land a hit. Do this enough, and you beat him and gain the death spin attack. This has hovering properties when used in the air, so mashing the [] button is a sudo hover for Crash after you get this.

The final two are very interesting, with the former being a space battle between Coco and N. Gin while the later one is a really fun boss fight with Cortex. Coco's space battle introduces space combat and it is a lot of fun shooting at the different weak points on N. Gin's mech. The battle with Cortex has you avoiding Aku Aku & Uka Uka's attacks against each other long enough to be able to spin Cortex's blaster shot back then spin him into a pit.

hqdefault.jpg

These final boss fights unlock two great moves for Crash; one being the Wama Fruit Bazooka (which can break Nitro Creates) and a Super Dash (holding down R1/R2 to move faster). Both can be very useful for box breaking while the later can be used to greatly assist Time Trails.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Crash 3 is one of the best looking PlayStation games of all time, with the game having some strong animation work, locked 30FPS frame rate and plenty of visual variety to keep things interesting.

tumblr_njkvibAqiD1rncxkwo1_250.gif

The death animations that we saw in Crash 2 come back here but they are far more common. We have ones ranging from Crash getting his pants cut into pieces and him running away too getting kissed by a frog and the frog turning into a prince. These show a lot of care and effort went behind the world of the game and Crash's character, making him feel more lively then before.

Musically, this is my personal favorite out of the entire Naughty Dog line of Crash games. Strong melodies across the board with the Warp Room theme being THE theme for the Crash series to me.

Under Pressure - Midnight Run - Bone Yard - High Time - Stone Age Bonus Room

- - - - - - - - - - - -

This game is a pure classic that does so much right. Between the tight controls and great presentation in addition to strong level designs and creative new gameplay styles, Crash 3 ends up being one of the best games in the series.

Naughty Dog was supposed to stop with Crash here and for the conclusion to series, this was a great way to go out. But we have one more Naughty Dog game to look at, with Crash Team Racing up next.

NJShadow

The first PlayStation title I ever owned. Such a fun game, and happy to say that I "platinumed" it with all the platinum relics. Good times.

Roo

Technically the best. Only the swimming levels got in the way, and even then, it was no worse than Mario swimming levels for me

Swimming levels were actually great in this game, imo.
The Submergible that helped you to go faster was a good addition.

And I say that as someone who usually hates water levels in general.

Zebei

https://youtu.be/2vxJ2XAKopE

Obligatory awesome theme.

CTR was my favorite Crash experience, but Crash is a close second. I love this game very dearly. I loved pretty much everything. The non-platforming levels were really awesome pace breakers, and playing as Coco on the great Wall was one of my things in the game.

Other than the fact that the dinosaur that replaced the boulder/polar bear terrified me. First time I played it I screamed and shut off my PS1 and didn't play for a week.

111/100 game.

Xemnas89

Fantastic game and definitely one of the best looking games on the playstation. I think I probably prefer 2 in part because it was my first and only playstation game for the first few months but you can't beat Warped when it comes to variety.

Some of those platinum relics were absolutely frustrating, but it was really cool to see the fireworks after getting 105% completion.

Also, I always wanted to try to reach Fake Crash. I thought if I could touch him, it would warp me to a new level, or something.

Swimming levels were actually great in this game, imo.
The Submergible that helped you to go faster was a good addition.

And I say that as someone who usually hates water levels in general.

those levels only ever felt good with the submarine thing

the single bad memory i have of the first three crash games is trying to swim up and down those big tube things underwater. it just never felt good.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Best platforming fun in the series.

Too bad only like half the levels were traditional platforming. For that reason I put Crash 2 up ahead.

crash-bandicoot-is-platform-video-game-franchise-originally-developed-by-naughty-dog-for-son-computer-entertainment.png

Past Retrospectives:
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back

Our spin through the Crash series continues with Naughty Dog's final platforming adventure for the Bandicoot. This adds a lot to the series formula with Crash having more rides to use and the level themes having more verity. Crash 3 is one of the strongest PlayStation 1 games out there, so lets take a look into why this Warp is one you should revisit.

The games production began in January 1998 with Naughty Dog having 10 & 1/2 months to complete the game with a 2.2$ million budget. Andy Gavin and other programs Stephen White & Greg Omi decided to work on three new gameplay styles for the game. All three had unique game engines built from scratch to work with the styles, with two of the engines being focused on three-dimensional gaming.

medieval.jpg

Those were the Air Plane and Jet-Ski stages with the final engine being used for the motorcycle gameplay portions. They were to make up a third of the core game, with the rest being a mixture of iconic Crash styled levels and riding levels where Coco, Crash's sister, riding a tiger.

Originally, they were considering dropping the core Crash stages outright but Jason Rubin decided to keep that style of gameplay to not 'abandon that style of gameplay that would mean abandoning a significant portion of gamers'.

n-tropy-origins-3-1-2.jpg

Technical elements discussed during development was giving Crash a real shadow after Sony Computer Entertainment being 'sick of that little discus that's following him around' and when creating the water for the game, an environment map reflecting the sky was fitted onto the surface of the water to make it look more realistic.

Charles Zembillas reprises his role at art director/designer for Crash Bandicoot 3. Uka Uka was created as a presence that would cause Doctor Neo Cortex to cower in fear. The emotion sketches depicting Cortex begging for forgiveness inspired the shot design and animation for the game's cinematic introductory sequence. Because the game's plot involved time travel, the time-traveling secondary antagonist Doctor Nefarious Trophy was conceptualized. Zembillas drew the first sketches of Trophy (and the doodle he created as Naughty Dog was describing the character to him) on January 22, 1998. Some fun little trivia is that Crash got a odd design in Japan and it looked so off, that Naughty Dog dubbed it 'Fake Crash'. You can see him if you beat the game 100% and go to one of the jet-ski levels.

The game released November 4th 1998 for the NA, December 5th 1998 in EU, and very late in Australia on October 31st, 2000. It was met with widespread critical and commercial acclaim. This was the final Naughty Dog platformer in the series and originally the final Crash game for the studio.

The story of Crash 3 is that after Crash blows up Cortex's base in the end of Crash 2, the base crashes on an island and unleashes the evil Uka Uka. This mask spirit has been working with Cortex since day one, helping him through his plans and instructing him on what to do next. After being tired of him failing, he summons N. Trophy to use his Time-Twisting Machine to take Crystals and Gems from the past and future.

Aku Aku, the mask that has been protecting Crash all this time, informs him and Coco of the dangers of Uka Uka and brings them to the Time-Twister machine to get the crystals and gems before Cortex, Uka Uka and his band of rouges takes them all.

aba2bf62801dfa89c8953f834e2d8504.jpg

Crash spins into action and with the help of Coco, goes through various time periods to collect everything. I really like this set up as it allows for a lot of creativity with the locations you visit across the game.

The cut-scenes and interactions with Cortex, Dingodile, N. Trophy, N. Gin and Tiny are all very well done thanks to strong animation work, great voice acting and outstanding lip-syncing for the time period.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

The gameplay of Crash 3 continues with Crash spinning, sliding, and jump across the levels. One interesting thing to note is how much 3D platforming you do in the game, as almost every major level with traditional Crash gameplay focuses on 3D platforming with an extra 2D portion or the bonus round 2D section.

tumblr_mu07i9D5tF1qk08j9o2_250.gif

So, the core gameplay is great still and the new level themes make everything stronger. You have Crash visiting the future with convater belts, running across rooftops with people swinging swords, him running through the middle ages with dangerous frogs wanting to kiss Crash and the riding levels being done with Coco this time out on a tiger in China.

giphy.gif

Having such level verity on visuals alone, helped Naughty Dog flex their creative bones, leading to the core Crash gameplay being some of the strongest it has ever been. This is further pushed with a new collectable; the Time Relics. These are the time trails for every single level and you can freeze the clock for X amount of time based on numbered boxes you break. If you loved games like Sonic the Hedgehog, these will make you happy as you are dashing through the level at your top speed.

You have one of three types of Relics you can find; Sapphire, Gold and Platinum. You only need the Sapphire ones to unlock all the hidden levels but getting gold or platinum feels so rewarding. So that covers it for Crash's main gameplay, but what about the other styles?

Crash 3 introduces a few new gameplay styles into the series and we will go in order. Crash can swim underwater with a few 2D stages where he dons scuba-gear and swims. These control well with Crash having the ability to swim faster when you mash the X button and his trademark spin can still be used. Crash also can hop on a ride underwater that speeds up his movement and have the ability to shoot missiles (breaking boxes and foes like Sharks).

latest

But the biggest new addition are the three rides Crash & Coco can use; the Bi-Plane, the Motorcycle and the Jet Ski. The Bi-Plane allows you to fly in the sky, roll to dodge incoming fire and shoot down boxes & blimps. The goal for these stages is for Crash and Coco to take out X amount of objects all the while breaking all the boxes hanging off balloons. Both Crash and Coco use the plane and it controls well enough. A secret stage called 'Rings of Power' has Crash moving very fast in the plane as well.

The Motocycle is something only Crash can ride and its okay. You can move left or right, hold down X to move forward and your end goal is to beak all the boxes all the while getting first place at the end of the goal. These can be fun and I honestly enjoyed these levels. They can be hard to control sometimes though.

Roadcrash.png

Last new ride is the Jet-Ski and it pops up often. Coco is the only one that uses this and it opens the doors for some of the larger levels in the game. You explore a ocean during pirate times, with pirate ships, sailors and more blocking your path. Coco's goal is to find the exit warp and break all the boxes. The controls here are simple; hold X to move forward and use the left stick to move around. You can hop off of ramps if you build up enough speed and can even dive into the water for some extra lives if you hit it with enough impact after a jump.

What makes all these styles work is that they control well, are fun and do not detract from the core platforming experience. You still have a good 60% of the game dedicated to core Crash gameplay we saw in past titles and Naughty Dog struck a good balance between old and new with this angle.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Bosses should be noted, as they are all quite fun. Tiny is the first boss and it is a simple set up where you have to take him out by letting him send his lion army out first before he bounces around three times. After jabbing his spear into the ground, you can spin into him for a blow. Do this three times and its done! Crash gets the power up that allows for a more powerful belly flop.

tumblr_mu07i9D5tF1qk08j9o1_250.gif

The second boss is Dingodile, as he surrounds himself with barriers for each round and when you find an opening you spin into him. After a few hits, he goes down and you get the very helpful double jump move.

The third boss is N. Trophy, as he has a few phases. He sends out a few waves of energy that you have to jump over and after this happens a few times, he tires out and you can then jump across a few platforms to land a hit. Do this enough, and you beat him and gain the death spin attack. This has hovering properties when used in the air, so mashing the [] button is a sudo hover for Crash after you get this.

The final two are very interesting, with the former being a space battle between Coco and N. Gin while the later one is a really fun boss fight with Cortex. Coco's space battle introduces space combat and it is a lot of fun shooting at the different weak points on N. Gin's mech. The battle with Cortex has you avoiding Aku Aku & Uka Uka's attacks against each other long enough to be able to spin Cortex's blaster shot back then spin him into a pit.

hqdefault.jpg

These final boss fights unlock two great moves for Crash; one being the Wama Fruit Bazooka (which can break Nitro Creates) and a Super Dash (holding down R1/R2 to move faster). Both can be very useful for box breaking while the later can be used to greatly assist Time Trails.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Crash 3 is one of the best looking PlayStation games of all time, with the game having some strong animation work, locked 30FPS frame rate and plenty of visual variety to keep things interesting.

tumblr_njkvibAqiD1rncxkwo1_250.gif

The death animations that we saw in Crash 2 come back here but they are far more common. We have ones ranging from Crash getting his pants cut into pieces and him running away too getting kissed by a frog and the frog turning into a prince. These show a lot of care and effort went behind the world of the game and Crash's character, making him feel more lively then before.

Musically, this is my personal favorite out of the entire Naughty Dog line of Crash games. Strong melodies across the board with the Warp Room theme being THE theme for the Crash series to me.

Under Pressure - Midnight Run - Bone Yard - High Time - Stone Age Bonus Room

- - - - - - - - - - - -

This game is a pure classic that does so much right. Between the tight controls and great presentation in addition to strong level designs and creative new gameplay styles, Crash 3 ends up being one of the best games in the series.

Naughty Dog was supposed to stop with Crash here and for the conclusion to series, this was a great way to go out. But we have one more Naughty Dog game to look at, with Crash Team Racing up next.

I see you're using gifs, wonder who you got that from. ;)

Fun fact, CTR was originally going to be the third game and was worked on at the same time.

Egypt
Village
Highway
Plane
Future
Ruin
Water
Tiger
Dinosaur

While Crash 2 has:

Snow
Jungle
Boulder
Surf River
Jetpack
Robot
Bee
Polar bear
Sewer
Darkness
Temple

I feel 3 kind of focused a bit much on making a completely different game with crash in the title and having over half your game REQUIRING vehicles, not just usage in general, shows this.

After you beat the game 100%, I forgot which jet ski level but one of them has fake crash doing a dance, I reloaded and can confirm it only works after 109%.

One part of the story that you forgot to address, and they never really do anything about until the 100% ending, after defeating N.Tropy they say the time twister has gone crazy.

You are the first person I've seen who has said the motorcycle controls are good.

One of the gems can't be gotten without getting a gold gem in each level. Some levels uts impossible to get the gold gem without using the last power up, speed shoes.

Also, this is the first crash to give you the total boxes in a stage from the hud.

Speaking of relics, I do not remember if they are in the crystal credits or if just the 100% credits but in those creduts they list the "developer times" for the time trials harder than the platniym relics.

Now of course you don't get anything for them, making platinum the last relic tier. But if you're crazy why not.

This game has a demo for Spyro the Dragon 1 built in.a decent demo as well. In fact there's a glitch where you can play an extra world, missin some gems though.

There are secret areas like in crash 2 that can send you to secret levels, like the alien sign in the second motorcycle level. No secret warp room though.

Oddly, the motorcycle level with the ufos is NOT the level you unlock if you hit that sign, it's a Coco het ski level. Intentional or a mistake that's just weird.

RK128

Glad you guys are enjoying the Retrospective!

The gimmick levels can be too much for some and it is a valid issue, but I did not have this problem, hence me not commentating over it.

RK128

I see you're using gifs, wonder who you got that from. ;)

Fun fact, CTR was originally going to be the third game and was worked on at the same time.

Egypt
Village
Highway
Plane
Future
Ruin
Water
Tiger
Dinosaur

While Crash 2 has:

Snow
Jungle
Boulder
Surf River
Jetpack
Robot
Bee
Polar bear
Sewer
Darkness
Temple

I feel 3 kind of focused a bit much on making a completely different game with crash in the title and having over half your game REQUIRING vehicles, not just usage in general, shows this.

After you beat the game 100%, I forgot which jet ski level but one of them has fake crash doing a dance, I reloaded and can confirm it only works after 109%.

One part of the story that you forgot to address, and they never really do anything about until the 100% ending, after defeating N.Tropy they say the time twister has gone crazy.

You are the first person I've seen who has said the motorcycle controls are good.

One of the gems can't be gotten without getting a gold gem in each level. Some levels uts impossible to get the gold gem without using the last power up, speed shoes.

Also, this is the first crash to give you the total boxes in a stage from the hud.

Speaking of relics, I do not remember if they are in the crystal credits or if just the 100% credits but in those creduts they list the "developer times" for the time trials harder than the platniym relics.

Now of course you don't get anything for them, making platinum the last relic tier. But if you're crazy why not.

This game has a demo for Spyro the Dragon 1 built in.a decent demo as well. In fact there's a glitch where you can play an extra world, missin some gems though.

There are secret areas like in crash 2 that can send you to secret levels, like the alien sign in the second motorcycle level. No secret warp room though.

Oddly, the motorcycle level with the ufos is NOT the level you unlock if you hit that sign, it's a Coco het ski level. Intentional or a mistake that's just weird.

Great minds think a like ;). Thank you for the information man, very helpful and I appreciate it :D.

Looking forward to your next Parapa and Console Retrospectives!

I love this game! It had the best settings in the whole series, in my opinion. Sure, there were a lot of vehicle levels, but unlike TWoC's, I thought they all controlled well and were super fun to play.

The soundtrack is masterful, too.

RK128

I love this game! It had the best settings in the whole series, in my opinion. Sure, there were a lot of vehicle levels, but unlike TWoC's, I thought they all controlled well and were super fun to play.

The soundtrack is masterful, too.

This is a BIG reason why I don't mind them in Crash 3 honestly. They felt fun and worked great. TWoC has just about the same amount of vehicle levels and while I liked how some were implemented (the Minecart level having you start out on it but mid-way through it turns into a standard Crash level for example), it still wasn't as effective compared to Crash 3.

Drago

I can't stand those motorcycle and bi plane levels. Skip them everytime I replay the game. Maybe I just suck at them (this is probably the case) but I never have any fun whilst playing them, they are just excercises in frustration. Jet ski and underwater levels weren't bad but I would still rather be playing classical Crash than those levels. This is the first I'm hearing about them apparently almost dumping classic platforming Crash levels entirely, dear god that would've been a dumpster fire. Especially glad this didn't happen since 3's platforming levels are probably my favorite in the whole series, but there's so much less of them that Crash 2 remains the superior game quite handily.

Not gonna be entirely negative though. Game is gorgeous even to this day, the animations got even better after the already great animations 2 had, and I love the time travel theme and all the settings it provided the levels. All the gameplay enhancements you got after beating bosses were great and made the game even more fun to play. Best bosses in the series too, easily (except for N. Gin, I can't stand that fight!) Certainly a bombastic sendoff for Naughty Dog's Crash trilogy, even if you can tell they were kinda running out of steam.

RK128

I can't stand those motorcycle and bi plane levels. Skip them everytime I replay the game. Maybe I just suck at them (this is probably the case) but I never have any fun whilst playing them, they are just excercises in frustration. Jet ski and underwater levels weren't bad but I would still rather be playing classical Crash than those levels. This is the first I'm hearing about them apparently almost dumping classic platforming Crash levels entirely, dear god that would've been a dumpster fire. Especially glad this didn't happen since 3's platforming levels are probably my favorite in the whole series, but there's so much less of them that Crash 2 remains the superior game quite handily.

Not gonna be entirely negative though. Game is gorgeous even to this day, the animations got even better after the already great animations 2 had, and I love the time travel theme and all the settings it provided the levels. All the gameplay enhancements you got after beating bosses were great and made the game even more fun to play. Best bosses in the series too, easily (except for N. Gin, I can't stand that fight!) Certainly a bombastic sendoff for Naughty Dog's Crash trilogy, even if you can tell they were kinda running out of steam.

I was surprised to learn that to when researching into the game's development history, but with a third of the game focused on other gameplay styles and them outright stating they wanted to keep the classic gameplay to push away older fans, it really paints a picture for sure.

Glad they didn't scrap the classic gameplay and it stuck around for some really great stages honestly :).

RK128

First Crash platformer I ever played. Such a fun and vibrant game, though frustrating as hell at times.

My first Crash game as a whole was Crash Bash.....not the worse introduction to the series, but not the best either :l.

But damn if it didn't have an amazing soundtrack and I will be gushing about that when I cover the game soon :).

Elixist

nice thread man. one of ND's strongest games, I'd love to see them do something bright and cartoony, gameplay first again.

RK128

nice thread man. one of ND's strongest games, I'd love to see them do something bright and cartoony, gameplay first again.

Thank you :D!

Would love to see Naughty Dog make a cartoonly/stylized game on the PS4. After Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank.....it would look amazing :').

Very informative OP! Didn't know about the development history you touched on, very interesting. Warped is definitely easier to chew through than Crash 2 for me, the relic trials and power-ups put it as the best ND Crash.

RK128

Very informative OP! Didn't know about the development history you touched on, very interesting. Warped is definitely easier to chew through than Crash 2 for me, the relic trials and power-ups put it as the best ND Crash.

Been trying to make these shorter but more in-depth at the same time :).

The development history is a key part of the games background after all :D.

L.O.R.D

Wait, crash 3 was running at 30FPS?
i remember ripping my own European crash 3 and played in on emulator and got 50FPS Max.

Zocano

There was a time when I thought Crash 3 was my favorite. I was younger though.

Having replayed them multiple times within the past few years I think it's easily the weakest of the 3 now though.

There are a handful of good levels (the egyptian levels in particular) but I think it's watered down by the super gimmick levels like the airplanes, jet ski, and racing levels.

Crash 2 is my favorite now having gone back to them.

Nudull

Banned
My first Crash game as a whole was Crash Bash.....not the worse introduction to the series, but not the best either :l.

But damn if it didn't have an amazing soundtrack and I will be gushing about that when I cover the game soon :).

Mine ended up being Crash Team Racing. :)

I remember wanting to play Crash Bash so badly, being a Mario Party fan and all. I used to spend free time at school on the computers, looking up old game websites and trailers. That included the Crash websites, and going trough the Crash Bash site with the theme music on loop was lovely.

Inliked the motorbike stages
As a kid they were prety cool

I liked the way they looked (the T2 parody/shout-out on the boxart was a nice touch too), but the controls were hellish.

sinxtanx

I like the game, but the constant vehicle levels weigh it down for me

it's a pity since the platforming levels are just as good as Crash 2

please have only Crash 2-style platforming levels in the inevitable PS4 game

KevinCow

Banned
I didn't like this game as much as Crash 2 because only like half of it was actual platforming, plus I didn't like the environments as much as the ones in Crash 2. Still a good game, though.

Chastten

Banned
Loved this game back in the day, but man, the controls of the Jet Ski and Motorcycle were pretty terrible. Airplane was okay, as was riding on tiger/polar bear back, but they screwed up with those two.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Crash 3 I feel pales compares to Crash 2 as I didn't like the level theme in Crash 3, nor did I enjoy the vehicle levels which were in every warp rooms.

But the biggest thing that annoyed me the most was the fact that Coco wasn't excatly playable since all her levels were Vehicle base.

Crash 2 also had more secrets to discover plus I like how when you start the level you have no idea what up ahead till you leave the safety of the warp room.

That boss is just poorly designed as you have two phase to fight both with long health bars and you have to do it all with one health bar.

Egypt
Village
Highway
Plane
Future
Ruin
Water
Tiger
Dinosaur

While Crash 2 has:

Snow
Jungle
Boulder
Surf River
Jetpack
Robot
Bee
Polar bear
Sewer
Darkness
Temple

Agreed Crash 3 to me just feels like a different game starring Crash and Crash 3 heavily recycles level theme throughout all the warp rooms whereas Crash 2 would always introduced new levels in all warp rooms.

For example in Crash 2 final warp room all the levels are brand new whereas in Crash 3 all none of the level are new as they are a recycled theme.

I was surprised to learn that to when researching into the game's development history, but with a third of the game focused on other gameplay styles and them outright stating they wanted to keep the classic gameplay to push away older fans, it really paints a picture for sure.

Glad they didn't scrap the classic gameplay and it stuck around for some really great stages honestly :).

It's actually not to surprising, they were working on Crash 3 and CT at the same time, they were likely thinking what RARE was thinking during Banjo Toie but stopped themselves (RARE wanted vehicles in Banjo 2, this turned into nuts and bolts, which isn't a bad game, but I can see why fans were mad.

Crash Bash is actually pretty great, I'd go back and replay it, the issue is the difficulty, especially with single player, in unlocking all the minigames, but otherwise it's fine. Go play Sonic Shuffle, and Mario Party games and then come back and see how it's superior.

Wait, crash 3 was running at 30FPS?
i remember ripping my own European crash 3 and played in on emulator and got 50FPS Max.

The keyword there is Emulator. Granted, the PSone runs Crash NTSC at 60fps if you got that revision of the PSX. Sometimes it runs at 60fps anyway.

Crash 3 I feel pales compares to Crash 2 as I didn't like the level theme in Crash 3, nor did I enjoy the vehicle levels which were in every warp rooms.

But the biggest thing that annoyed me the most was the fact that Coco wasn't excatly playable since all her levels were Vehicle base.

Crash 2 also had more secrets to discover plus I like how when you start the level you have no idea what up ahead till you leave the safety of the warp room.

That boss is just poorly designed as you have two phase to fight both with long health bars and you have to do it all with one health bar.

Agreed Crash 3 to me just feels like a different game starring Crash and Crash 3 heavily recycles level theme throughout all the warp rooms whereas Crash 2 would always introduced new levels in all warp rooms.

For example in Crash 2 final warp room all the levels are brand new whereas in Crash 3 all none of the level are new as they are a recycled theme.

3 medieval levels

3 Dinosaur levels

4 Jet Ski levels

3 Arabian levels

4 Motorcycle levels,

4 Egypt levels

3 Plane levels

2 tiger levels

2 future levels

2 water levels

Crash 2 in comparison:

3 Jungle levels

3 Snow levels

3 Surf levels

4 Boulder Levels

3 Polar bear levels

3 Sewer Levels

2 Temple levels

2 Bee Levels

2 Robot Levels

2 Jet Pack Levels

2 Dark levels

That is more variety, with almost the same exact number of levels.

Core Crash gameplay is great. The gimmicky vehicle levels ruin the game. Decent game overall, but a big step down for the series.

It makes sense though why WoC pretty much used the same formula, it was a big hit. WoC pretty much made a better looking version of Crash 3 with a few new additions. (Which is also why I don't understand why people think it was bad, the loading times and some issues with inconsistently were on the PS2 version, which I HEARD the Greatest hits version fixed, otherwise the GC and Xbox versions are fine)

RK128

It makes sense though why WoC pretty much used the same formula, it was a big hit. WoC pretty much made a better looking version of Crash 3 with a few new additions. (Which is also why I don't understand why people think it was bad, the loading times and some issues with inconsistently were on the PS2 version, which I HEARD the Greatest hits version fixed, otherwise the GC and Xbox versions are fine)

Yes, the Greatest Hits re-print fixed the issues the PS2 version had just like how the late release of the GC and Xbox versions fixed that issue to.

I guess people did not like how the gimmick styles overtook the core gameplay more then they did in Crash 3, but I have to really sit down with the game again before making a solid comment on the title.

Yes, the Greatest Hits re-print fixed the issues the PS2 version had just like how the late release of the GC and Xbox versions fixed that issue to.

I guess people did not like how the gimmick styles overtook the core gameplay more then they did in Crash 3, but I have to really sit down with the game again before making a solid comment on the title.

You forgot to add some of the point I made above to the OP (the ones about content in the game.)

Also I think the main issue is that Crash WoC probably was a Sonic Adventure for Crash, it really showed just how out of place Crash 3 is especially with it's gimmicks among other things. But still had it's good point. I think nostalgia and the fact Crash 3 (through the crystal run) is much easier to play may have people thinking it's better than it actually is. Again, play it again, it's basically the same game with better graphics and controls. Also platforming COCO, who still has vehicles in those stages mind you but at least you get a bit more.

As for which is better? I'd say the Xbox version is tied with Crash 3 PSX. The game runs super good, looks super good (with some fur!) and basically does the game justice. I think WoC also was one of the reasons the hard core fans kept actng like no games existed beyond CTR (and to a lesser extent Crash Bash) when the games after that were all great (and consumers brought them so they clearly didn't agree) but it's an annoying things to see.

WoC is a pretty good game. The same as Crash 3 if playing the Xbox version imo. It is no where near a series killer, it had well off sales.

A series killer would be Enter the Dragonfly. Which I think I have quite a few paragraphs to say about that game oh boy.... Poor Spyro almost died immediately, oddly the highly divisive GBA games saved him.

RK128

You forgot to add some of the point I made above to the OP (the ones about content in the game.)

Also I think the main issue is that Crash WoC probably was a Sonic Adventure for Crash, it really showed just how out of place Crash 3 is especially with it's gimmicks among other things. But still had it's good point. I think nostalgia and the fact Crash 3 (through the crystal run) is much easier to play may have people thinking it's better than it actually is. Again, play it again, it's basically the same game with better graphics and controls. Also platforming COCO, who still has vehicles in those stages mind you but at least you get a bit more.

As for which is better? I'd say the Xbox version is tied with Crash 3 PSX. The game runs super good, looks super good (with some fur!) and basically does the game justice. I think WoC also was one of the reasons the hard core fans kept actng like no games existed beyond CTR (and to a lesser extent Crash Bash) when the games after that were all great (and consumers brought them so they clearly didn't agree) but it's an annoying things to see.

WoC is a pretty good game. The same as Crash 3 if playing the Xbox version imo. It is no where near a series killer, it had well off sales.

A series killer would be Enter the Dragonfly. Which I think I have quite a few paragraphs to say about that game oh boy.... Poor Spyro almost died immediately, oddly the highly divisive GBA games saved him.

Didn't get a chance to edit your information into the OP yet, so will be doing that later today. Looking for work and filling out a lot of applications takes quite a bit of time :(.

But I agree; WoC isn't a bad game at all and for a title that Travelers Tales had to rush out in under a year, it was a very solid attempt at making a Crash title.

fhqwhgads

Easily my favourite PS1 game. Completed this more times than I can count, though I sitll haven't mastered those Platinum relics to this day. It's a shame PlatformerGAF hates this game so much, but then again they hate anything that isn't 100% "pure" platforming. Cool to know that they were going to fill the game with only those vehicle/animal levels, which probably explains why there were so many of them in the final product.

Top Bottom