• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled - First Hands-On Previews

Fake

- Eurogamer
Crash Team Racing is an absolute banger, but better yet it's not just a banger but a sort of weird, off-brand, alternate universe banger: the best kind, and the rarest kind.
- IGN
Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled brings Crash back to the racing circuit. Nearly 20 years after it's initial release, this remake is fast, gorgeous, and downright fun.
- Shacknews
After remastering the original Crash Bandicoot trilogy, Activision is looking for an encore by remastering Crash Team Racing with the upgraded Nitro-Fueled. Shacknews tries out this old-school classic.
- Polygon
The upcoming remake includes all the characters, tracks, controls, and power-ups from the original game. Beenox didn’t use any of the original Naughty Dog source code, a representative told Polygon at a recent press event — the studio recreated everything from scratch.
Impressively, there’s an attention to detail in Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled that reflects a longtime love.
- Venturebeat
The game features remastered high-definition or 4K art that is all built from scratch, said Stéphane Gravel, a production director at Beenox, during my hands-on preview demo of the game. The game has 18 tracks, all based on the originals, as well as the same characters and game modes.
The game is meant to give players an authentic Crash Team Racing experience.
- Gamesradar+
You don’t have to race alone, of course. In addition to local split screen support between up to four players at once, Nitro-Fueled features full multiplayer functionality, letting you compete with close friends or total strangers online. Even playing alongside a single other person in splitscreen, I can already tell that this is where Nitro-Fueled will find its long-term legs beyond the novelty of its unabashed nostalgia trip.
- Gematsu
Several outlets went live today with the new hands-on previews, gameplay, and screenshots of Activision and Beenox’s December 2018-announced Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled.
FULL LIST OF ALL PREVIEWS: https://gematsu.com/2019/02/crash-team-racing-nitro-fueled-first-previews-gameplay-and-screenshots
CTR005.jpg

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
So very, very ready for this. The only problem is that I've got people on PC, PS4 and Xbox who all want me to get it on that platform so I can race 'em. Sheeeeeit.

Saber

Gold Member
I have very hopes for this game. I'm in a need for kart racing games.

And since I have almost 0% of interest in Team Sonic Racing, I'm expecting this one to be reliabe. And so far its not dissapointing me.

Last edited:

elCT

Neo Member
I still haven't got myself Super Mario Kart 8 Deluxe but I am already hyped for this one.

Shin

Banned
Man that looks beautiful, did the remake/remaster support HDR or will Cart?

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
So very, very ready for this. The only problem is that I've got people on PC, PS4 and Xbox who all want me to get it on that platform so I can race 'em. Sheeeeeit.
Is this even coming out on PC?

bosnianpie

Holy crap, it looks great.

I'm really looking forward to this (surprise, surprise!). From what I've seen so far Beenox is really putting a lot of passion into this project and there's no doubt that this will be just as well received as N. Sane Trilogy was. Well done.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I hate to be prematurely hyped based on gameplay footage alone, but the kart handling looks really solid so far.

As an aside, the way the video-narrator describes "power sliding" seems out of touch with how Mario Kart actually works. The most recent one -- MK8 Deluxe -- introduced a third level of charge to your "drift boost" and operates in the exact same way as IGN describes power sliding here. If anything, MK8 emphasizes drift-boosting more.

Anyway, looking forward to this. We need more kart racers so I hope this one can rise to the occasion.

Last edited:

Ellis

So excited to have the king back. Looks fantastic with a fresh coat of paint. Even at 30fps ( which is a shame ), this still pisses over any MK/DK racer Nintendo has put out.
They all lack that rewarding feeling you get from mastering the games mechanics, whereas CTR fucking nails it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Is this even coming out on PC?

Not confirmed, but I can't see why not, even if it's later than the others. 1-3 were ported.

can this be 1 to 1 if they used zero source code? i dunno how they can remake from scratch the ai/turning/boosting/damage/etc required perfectly.

Evilms

Banned
It looks so good, just too bad for the 30fps I hope 60fps for the final version or at least one PC release later.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
This looks like pure fun. Hopefully it will tide me over untill that Star Fox racing game which is definitely coming out...

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I never play the original but definitive im gonna check it, im sure that is like Mario Kart in fun.

Will be amazing that have online mode, i dont see problem in 30 fps.

I like this kind of games... Except Diddy kong racing

Exentryk

can this be 1 to 1 if they used zero source code? i dunno how they can remake from scratch the ai/turning/boosting/damage/etc required perfectly.
Yeah, I highly doubt the control and feel will be as tight as the original. But I’m looking forward to trying this out.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
PSP 2 baby! Make it happen Sony!!! These types of games would be perfect for it.
You want a PlayStation Vita?

I do not get how they state in the video the game is very fast, when it looks extremely slow actually.

chinoXL

word this game was my joint on the OG playstation...the only kart racer that could compete or best mario kart as far as i'm concerned...as long as it plays like the original like they say, 30fps won't be a problem..

nkarafo

There's something about the visuals that doesn't click with me. I still don't think this looks as good as something like Mario Kart 8. I can't put my finger on it but maybe it's the art style having a touch of realism in it? Maybe it ends up being not realistic and not cartoony enough at the same time and lingers in between? Or maybe the track design isn't as eventful or interesting?

I don't know but it just looks meh artistically to me. Almost like an indie Unity project.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

Here is a game that would benefit greatly from Cross-Play.
Loved the original, looking forward to this!

There's something about the visuals that doesn't click with me. I still don't think this looks as good as something like Mario Kart 8. I can't put my finger on it but maybe it's the art style having a touch of realism in it? Maybe it ends up being not realistic and not cartoony enough at the same time and lingers in between? Or maybe the track design isn't as eventful or interesting?

I don't know but it just looks meh artistically to me. Almost like an indie Unity project.

Proportion and crap designers without references. It's also the problem of the latest Crash (after 4), the remake and now the racer.

The original Crash Bandicoot designers at Naughty Dog were heavily inspired by early 90s sarcastic ACME cartoons, in fact the whole series is even inspired by the early 90s psych exotica-revival, and back then they had talented designer who knew proportion, dynamic, colorimetric and line rules.

The problem with these newer games is that the designers don't seem to have neither the talent or taste to have spotted that, and that's why like many people you've probably spotted this je-ne-sais-quoi.

Mario Kart on the other is Nintendo and if there's something Nintendo has maintained over the years, it's its excellency and craftmanship in game design.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
30fps kart racer what are they thinking
It looks so good, just too bad for the 30fps I hope 60fps for the final version or at least one PC release later.
Looks amazing, but this is my only problem with all the Crash and Spyro remakes....They should all be 60fps.....

Yet, I will buy it and this will sell like hotcakes, hopefully we get 60fps BC on PS5....

Fox Mulder

Can't wait, need my kart fix.

Recently finished the three platinums in the Crash trilogy and moving onto Spyro. Nice these were done well by Activision.

Enjay

Banned
Eurogamer said:
Crash Team Racing is an absolute banger, but better yet it's not just a banger but a sort of weird, off-brand, alternate universe banger: the best kind, and the rarest kind.
Wtf does this even mean. I know what a "banger" (very hip of them) is but wtf.

Looks amazing, but this is my only problem with all the Crash and Spyro remakes....They should all be 60fps.....

Yet, I will buy it and this will sell like hotcakes, hopefully we get 60fps BC on PS5....
The fact they deliberately make/lock these at 30 just because the originals were also 30 is beyond dumb.
Then again in the case of Spyro I would have been happy with a solid 30, it failed at even that with its frame pacing issues.

People aren´t gonna as excited for this game once it comes out and they run into me online. My Polar is unbeatable and I only play for big money.

Fake

I kinda worried to know PRO/X will get a 60 fps. Is this gonna give a advantage from others players?
Anw, gonna stick with singleplayer / splitscreen.

30fps is okay for an imprecise item based kart racer. Shouldn't be though, they could have done 60fps easy and it would feel much better to play. Oh well.

Is it gonna have a great pricing, like the CB N. Sane Trilogy? Day one, if so, and I assume it will. Too bad the Spyro The Dragon trilogy wasn't all physical, made it way too easy to pass on it (sure, maybe Switch could use an available space excuse, but PS4 and others having not all three games on disc made it a hard pass).

Top Bottom