• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Craziest translations that you have seen

Have you ever used a translation program and the results were just crazy?

I used Google translate with foreign videos on YouTube and sometimes the translations can be a bit much.

8A6E98g.png

Anyone have anything this crazy happen to them?

Last edited:

eot

Banned
Sorry, it's very hard for me to understand British english. Irish and Scottish are even harder. Check this out:

I can only understand 60% of what they're saying, but it's still funny

Not a native speaker but I understand him fine. Bit at the end where they all talk over each other is harder to make out though.

Airola

We made a Shakespeare theatre 'play' by translating all with Google's translator back in 2011 or so.
We got 1 out of 5 stars from a theatre critic in a magazine :messenger_neutral:

When my kid was little, she had some pajamas that my in-laws brought back from Vietnam. I think they were made in China. Anyway they had all sorts of weird, unintelligible phrases.

The one that I remember most was, "What is nemind in two bodies?" Yes, there are no typos, lol. I don't know what "nemind" could possibly be representing and/or why it might be in two bodies.

There was another one that said, "Welcome to here." Just a variety of bizarre, unrelated and incomprehensible messages.

When my kid was little, she had some pajamas that my in-laws brought back from Vietnam. I think they were made in China. Anyway they had all sorts of weird, unintelligible phrases.

The one that I remember most was, "What is nemind in two bodies?" Yes, there are no typos, lol. I don't know what "nemind" could possibly be representing and/or why it might be in two bodies.

There was another one that said, "Welcome to here." Just a variety of bizarre, unrelated and incomprehensible messages.

English manuals from cheap Asian products are always hilarious to read.

Mitch Buchanon from Baywatch. The voice dub we had here in Latvia pronounced it Mitch Book-anon, a couple years ago during a work lunch we were talking about Baywatch and everyone was saying Book-anon and the one Canadian guy had no idea what the fuck he were talking about and when he corrected us no one believed him.

Before Dark Souls 3 came out over here, you could do an exploit on Xbox to get the Japanese version like 3 weeks early. You had to log into Japanese Live, buy space bucks in glorious Nippon currency, then switch the accounts back over.
It sounded fairly easy, but stumbling through the process took me like 3 hours. The Google translations for the Dark Souls 3 store page were some of the funniest I've read, I wish I remembered some more specifics. It was literally like, "Join fun! Super magical danger suspense journey is for you!"
Playing the game 3 weeks early was baller, and forced me to "git gud" cause there was no summoning available.

Old Retro

There's a movie called Shottas that even after listening to decades of reggae, I had turn on the closed captions to understand what da fuck dem was sayn!

Here's one me and friends always got a good laugh out of after I got this handy device in 1996...

71c3DuQk3fL._AC_.jpg

Fbh

OG FF7 in Spanish was amazing.
Do you know how people already complained the original english translation wasn't great? Well the Spanish one is a bad translation of that translation:

que+frio.jpg

My favorite is this one where they translated "cool" as "cold". So she is like "How cold, huh?"

Aerith and Tifa are referred to as a "him" or "boy" multiple times. Sephiroth sometimes changes to Sephiros or "Sifilo"

This one is great too:
IMG_0212.PNG

"This sucks" gets translated with the literal meaning of "sucking" instead of "this is bad"

Last edited:

Makariel

First time I was in China, a food stall I grabbed dinner at had quite interesting English translations for the menu. My favourite item was "urinating sweaty balls".

It's kind of a shame that some of the references in the show are very dated. I recall a few mentions of Bill Clinton. Other than that it still holds up.

I watch alot of really old movies so I definitely understand that. Sometimes I have to look up the reference just to understand it.

Still funny as heck though.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Type into Google : 1962 Safety Rules from Honda manual funny translation. It authentic and to those who translated it back then...true comedians 🛂

Trogdor1123

Turn on the captions, enjoy

Love it.

I remember my family was watching some TV show on gypsies and they were captioning it when my brother in law walked in, he is a Newfie, and he was so confused on why they were. He could completely understand them.

Top Bottom