• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

crazy car accident driving in snow vs truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep.

Also, it looks like they never even let off the gas, or atleast never even tried to apply the brakes, which I find odd. Braking into/after hitting the box truck could have maybe atleast prevented them from getting sling shot into oncoming traffic (note the brake lights of the box truck and how it handles the accident for comparison sake).

pressing the gas or hitting the brakes are two good ways to lose control of your vehicle under icy conditions. the reason this person lost control in the first place was increasing his/her speed too quickly and/or overcorrecting once he/she began to lose control.

source: canadian winter driver

RiZ III

It actually looks like the driver seat goes out flying upright as a whole, so if the driver was wearing a seatbelt, he might actually have survived.. of course the whole seat would roll around a lot and really fast once it hit the ground at which point he might get head injuries, but it looks like the driver might have survived the impact.

Al-ibn Kermit

I'll give you 3 from the top of my head...

1) These folks are on a road trip and wanted a story to tell "look at this crap weather we hit in [insert location here]!"

2) New camera and they thought they'd try it out by recording some moving footage to see how well it does.

3) They were recording the driving because crazy shit happens in bad weather and they wanted to capture it on video.

When you look at the accident, it seems that the driver was distracted/tired and so they drifted out of their lane, over corrected and hit the truck on the right, and then crashed into the truck on the other side of the highway. If that's why the accident happened, then it's pretty likely that they were having trouble staying in their lane for several minutes before the accident, which could be what made the people with the camera decide to film the driver.

Jaffaboy

This is why there are barriers on dual carriageways. Still would have been a pretty bad accident, but much less so.

Joates

Banned
When you look at the accident, it seems that the driver was distracted/tired and so they drifted out of their lane, over corrected and hit the truck on the right, and then crashed into the truck on the other side of the highway. If that's why the accident happened, then it's pretty likely that they were having trouble staying in their lane for several minutes before the accident, which could be what made the people with the camera decide to film the driver.

These ideas, where do you come up with them?

THE:MILKMAN

Is there enough evidence from the video/link to identify the outcome of this accident?

All occupants of the Nissan would certainly have died instantly I feel.

Even the truck driver could have died or be seriously injured. At the end of the day, a 2 tonne mass of metal smashing into a flat fronted truck at a combined ~80MPH is not good at all:(

mclaren777

Also, how lucky was the guy fixing the Lada: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rl6qn8lQek#t=1m25s

Really lucky!

Edit: the offset nature of this collision dissipated the energy really well!

Russia1.gif

Russia2.gif

I actually said "oh shit..... OH SHIT" while watching that. That was horrifying. Watching this makes me that much more likely to make sure I have my seat belt on at all times. Although I doubt it would have helped much there.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
What are you talking about dude. People can react to something in a different manner than you do.

That wasn't about reaction, the suv driver clearly lost control for some reason not because he had to react to something. I'm not blaming him because anything can distract someone I'm just saying you gotta try your hardest specially in a highway going fast to keep both hands on the wheel and hope for the best.. Unless the persons tire blew out I don't know how they could have lost control like that, he was going in a straight line fine.

That wasn't about reaction, the suv driver clearly lost control for some reason not because he had to react to something. I'm not blaming him because anything can distract someone I'm just saying you gotta try your hardest specially in a highway going fast to keep both hands on the wheel and hope for the best.. Unless the persons tire blew out I don't know how they could have lost control like that, he was going in a straight line fine.

No, I meant you saying people should watch the video. A learning experience for you could be someone else's painful reminder of a loved one's death.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
No, I meant you saying people should watch the video. A learning experience for you could be someone else's painful reminder of a loved one's death.

As harsh as it may sound ignoring an accident scenario doesn't help anyone. I'm just saying anyone can learn from this.

Stuff happens in life, you can only keep learning and move on.

If there was very evident gore I wouldn't tell anyone to watch.. It's not like that's the case here, it's pretty difficult to see anything.

Damn at that other accident... How the fuck.

http://youtu.be/MEcShi3VCk8

what the ?

Karud

I just noticed, after multiple viewings, that the smaller truck which was touched first by the SUV also nearly crashed into the car following the big truck. Luckily they just seem to bumb a little into each other.

GatorBait

How can a SUV like that disintegrate so easily?! Daamn...

Seriously...I did not even know a car exploding into pieces like that was even possible. Only thing I've ever seen comparable was the pictures of Ryan Dunn's car after his fatal crash, and he was driving a Porsche at like 130 mph when it crashed into a tree and exploded into a fireball.

hitsugi

nothing could have prepared me for that. it just... turned into pieces as if it were made of thin strips of wood.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Welp, while we're at it.....

busownshummer.jpg

This is more a testament to how sturdy school buses are built more than anything

dudeworld

It actually looks like the driver seat goes out flying upright as a whole, so if the driver was wearing a seatbelt, he might actually have survived.. of course the whole seat would roll around a lot and really fast once it hit the ground at which point he might get head injuries, but it looks like the driver might have survived the impact.

That's not how seat belts work. They're attached to the structure of the vehicle, not the seat. If the seat went flying out, the seatbelt would not go with it

def sim

What an awful thing to see. For those of you wondering if the person survived, what fantasy land are you guys living in?

Never mind the fact the video description says the driver died instantly, there are no miracles in complete obliteration.

Having been involved in accident where my suv rolled over I consider my self very lucky to survive. Very horrible. Also You can loose control due to slush It happens in a second.

GhaleonEB

What an awful thing to see. For those of you wondering if the person survived, what fantasy land are you guys living in?

Never mind the fact the video description says the driver died instantly, there are no miracles in complete obliteration.

I'm not sure when it was updated, but when I first clicked on the link a couple hours ago, the text above the video indicated they didn't know the status of the driver. Looking now, it of course says the obvious.

I don't think any kind of car would render plowing head-on into a semi truck hauling a full cargo load survivable. As Fyrewulff, said, that's a massive amount of force, made even greater by the SUV traveling in the opposite direction.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
A couple of Christmases ago, my family and in-laws were traveling from Saskatoon up north to the family farm. Me and my two oldest boys in my van, my wife, my youngest and mother-in-law following behind us. Snow conditions worse than the one in the OP's video. Some guy in a semi (fallen asleep behind the wheel, it turned out later) came barrelling past me by inches, drifted across the road past the other vehicle, and flew across the tundra into a huge snowbank, sending a sheet of white skyrocketing into the air. The snowbank actually saved his life, absorbing most of the impact.

tl;dr: driving in the snow = straight up roulette

DonMigs85

This is really nuts. It's like what happened to the Delorean in BTTFIII after the train hit it.
I guess a lot of vehicles built after the 70's just aren't terribly sturdy.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
For people asking how that can turn out so bad, its all about the difference in mass. You have a 1-2t car against a truck that's up to 60t. (I would guess that the truck here is in the 12-16t range)

This is really nuts. It's like what happened to the Delorean in BTTFIII after the train hit it.
I guess a lot of vehicles built after the 70's just aren't terribly sturdy.
They are, the amount of high-strength steel in cars is at an all time high. But after a certain amount of speed and mass difference between the participants, you can't trick physics anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom