• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creative Assembly (Sega, Alien) artist's work from a canned Resident Evil 7 pitch

I am not as au fait with the Resident Evil franchise as I am with other game series, so sorry if I've made any glaring errors. Completed both RE1 (Saturn) and RE4 (Wii) and loved them both.

The below find is from the portfolio of a Creative Assembly concept artist, who has worked with the company since 2012. As you can see from his website, he contributed a lot to Alien: Isolation.

He has a few web pages dedicated to cancelled projects, and on this one in particular he mentions the following:

Projects for Marvel titles, Django unchained game pitch, Bourne cancelled game, Resident Evil pitch...and various others.

The images from the cancelled Resident Evil are titled the following:

cdn.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/000/212/563/large/brad-wright-cancelled-project-resident-evil7.jpg?1411215137

cP9nc66.jpg

I'm not too knowledgeable about the series' story apart from Jill-Sandwich-Wesker-Bad-Global-Saturation, so I don't know if the images connect to an ongoing story arc in any way.

The artist started working at Creative Assembly back in June 2012, four months before Resident Evil 6 came out.

Therefore:

Possibility #1 : Creative Assembly compiled a concept pitch for their vision of a potential seventh game in the RE series, and it was either cancelled internally before it was submitted to Capcom, or later rejected by Capcom themselves.

Possibility #2 : The artist freelanced for another undisclosed company at some point while working at Creative Assembly. This undisclosed company produced concepts for a rejected Resident Evil 7 pitch.

Possibility #3: Edited in:

I don't understand why you think those are the only two explanations. He could well have worked on them before he started working at Creative Assembly. It's not unusual for studios to start pre-production on a sequel before the current entry in the franchise is released, particularly when it comes to established franchises like Assassin's Creed or, in this case, Resident Evil.

Regardless, everything I have heard about Alien : Isolation makes it sound like a frightening and gripping survival horror experience. Its interesting to think what its creators could have done with the Resident Evil license, if that was ever indeed a plan at some point.

Harlequin

I don't understand why you think those are the only two explanations. He could well have worked on them before he started working at Creative Assembly. (Or does his work history make that unlikely?) It's not unusual for studios to start pre-production on a sequel before the current entry in the franchise is released, particularly when it comes to established franchises like Assassin's Creed or, in this case, Resident Evil.

I don't understand why you think those are the only two explanations. He could well have worked on them before he started working at Creative Assembly. (Or does his work history make that unlikely?) It's not unusual for studios to start pre-production on a sequel before the current entry in the franchise is released, particularly when it comes to established franchises like Assassin's Creed or, in this case, Resident Evil.

Good point, I added it in to the OP.

Steroyd

I mean I liked some of Alien but nah.

I need that game to be japanese as fuck

I don't think Capcom knows what that means looking at RE5 & 6.

From what I've heard of Alien Isolation, it would be one of the rare occasions where I'd be okay with this outsource in a cautiously optimistic way.

Isn't resident evil 3 similar to alien in terms of nemesis coming out of nowhere and reking shit
Not really, they are all scripted. He only appears when you do something specific.

The closest thing compared to A:I would be Thanatos from Resident Evil Outbreak, where he would just randomly come out of nowhere and start chasing players.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I mean I liked some of Alien but nah.

I need that game to be japanese as fuck

It'll be nice if RE7 was developed by Koei Tecmo/Fatal Frame team.

Jawmuncher

All I know is I like the atmosphere from these pieces. Re7 HAS to be at TGS, or at least something new RE related. If capcom misses the anniversary next year. They're just throwing away free advertising.

All I know is I like the atmosphere from these pieces. Re7 HAS to be at TGS, or at least something new RE related. If capcom misses the anniversary next year. They're just throwing away free advertising.
I think some of their in-house dev team is still busy remastering RE0.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It would be pretty weird for Sega to be pitching ideas for Resident Evil 7 to Capcom, so I'm thinking it might have been from work at some other studio.

Then again, Sega has them working on Halo Wars 2 for Microsoft.

Aki-at

Would SEGA even want to work on a third party franchise? I could get them working with console makers since they'd pay a pretty penny but working with Capcom on one of their franchises seems unlikely.

I think it's more likely the guy was working with a different company prior who sent a pitch to Capcom.

Neff

Numbered RE is always developed by Capcom internally, without exception, so this was never going to happen.

Jawmuncher

I think some of their in-house dev team is still busy remastering RE0.

If thats the big title I wont even be surprised. But I will be disappointed. Last time the big anniversary celebration was just RE4 and CVX HD.

Numbered RE is always developed by Capcom internally, without exception, so this was never going to happen.

As Nirolak mentioned, Sega is working on Halo Wars 2 so a pitch isn't a stretch. However I doubt this was RE7. I could see it being another spin-off title.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Well, it looked different, so im intrigued. And in retrospect considering their Alien game was great i'd welcome anything they did really.

AHA-Lambda

Creative Assembly is owned by Sega right?

Seems so strange that of late they've been working with Capcom and MS then :/

fedexpeon

Banned
Huh, patient zero maybe?
And I guess the Nazi Cross symbol and the Umbrella Corporation do look the same...
Shit, this canned project might be interesting than the last 2 garbage that they did.

When I first found the images, I was trying to decipher the narrative they hinted at. I was guessing chronologically it could go something like this.

-The girl lying on a medical bed, injured and dying. Scientists pump something in to her from a creature lying nearby. She is remarkably reanimated.

-The achievement is demonstrated - the recovered girl is presented in meeting of scientists. The assembled group initially enthralled, begin to chat amongst themselves and stop paying attention to her. She begins to glow red, and something terrible happens.

-Days later. Two special operatives are sent into an exploding war zone - chaos caused by the girl's strange power - to find out what happened. They have to infiltrate the scientists headquarters.

That's my best guess at least.

Just calling out three gaming news sites ( 1, 2 and 3 ) who decided to run the story, claim credit for the find themselves, and not acknowledge the research I did putting together the contents of the OP. I know it happens, but if you consider yourself to be a journalist, it is really just a common courtesy to at least give a passing nod to the source of your story.

EDIT: Et tu, Eurogamer.pl?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Regardless, everything I have heard about Alien : Isolation makes it sound like a frightening and gripping survival horror experience.

This is extremely true, stop listening to people and play it!

Whatever you think of RE6, it has some of the richest mechanics of any action game. Arguably the richest in a third person action game.

I'm really sick of this defense of RE6, it's a symptom of the games biggest problem no matter how true it may/may not be (I don't think so personally, game felt loose and wonky to me)

I'm really sick of this defense of RE6, it's a symptom of the games biggest problem no matter how true it may/may not be (I don't think so personally, game felt loose and wonky to me)
I can't tell if people are being dead serious or just being sarcastic. This is gaf after all.

I can't tell if people are being dead serious or just being sarcastic. This is gaf after all.

Srs. RE6 has the greatest mechanics of any TPS outside of Vanquish, if you take the time to learn them.

As for the OP, I wonder if this project was killed in it's infancy after Operation Raccoon City's reception and Capcom's gradual shift away from the 'outsource everything to the west' doctrine they ran with for a while. Especially for their biggest brand like RE they must have been worried about too many games coming out from non-Capcom and diluting it.

News Bot

Banned
I've heard from a few sources that there was a cancelled BIO7 project. Not sure if this is the same one. The timing fits with the production studio employee who said she worked on it the month after BIO6 was released. Sequels in this series generally get proposed several months before the current game's release. For instance the cancelled BIO3 entered concept in November 1997, while BIO2 was released in January 1998.

EDIT: CAPCOM did hire/contract a Western employee from another company for the cancelled BIO7 mentioned above. They could've done the same for Brad.

Lernaean

Banned
Thank goodness it was killed soon.
Anyway Bio7 will be developed internally, Capcom at this point knows that outsourcing their main IPs has a disappointing aftermath.

Alo0oy

Banned
A mainline RE with Jill as lead? Finally, I got so fucking tired of Leon & Chris. Oh...that's just a pitch.

Top Bottom