• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creator of Days Gone- John Garvin- LiveStream Friday 11am- and yeah, he's talking about the article.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Friday 11am PST over on the channel: youtube.com/davidjaffegames

John Garvin- Creator, Writer, Director of DAYS GONE, the entire Syphon Filter series, Golden Abyss, Resistance Retribution, and a SHIT TON MORE- is coming on the stream.

And yeah,he read the article. And yeah-the man likes to talk.

Hope to see ya live.
JtX6kTQ.jpg

JAFFE

If I had to guess I'd say him and Jeff are gonna make their own studio or maybe another studio is picking them both up. Seems like too big of a coincidence for them to leave at the same time and they've been working together for a long ass time I think.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
If I had to guess I'd say him and Jeff are gonna make their own studio or maybe another studio is picking them both up. Seems like too big of a coincidence for them to leave at the same time and they've been working together for a long ass time I think.
They did not leave at the same time. John left mere weeks after DAYS GONE shipped.

Sure to be an interesting listen. Days Gone was talked down by a lot of the press, but I've seen nothing but good things said about it from people who actually played it.
Yep. Game is great, well done, fun, really fun. I played it first on PS5 and that it was a good choice to make.

SkylineRKR

I found the story of DG more engaging than the story of Horizon thats completely non existant in the middle part. DG drip feeds you missions about NERO that fills you in on the virus and also connects some dots. I found it interesting enough. There is too much filler missions and the last camps could've been cut short but other than that I immensely enjoyed it.

lol he is absolutely right. The game is a rare case "better than sum of it's parts".
Each part of this game is mostly bad but the game as a whole is rather fun/ok. Story/characters is easily the worst offender
I would say that the story/ characters are the best part of this game. I mean Iron Mike, Skizzo, Capt Kouri and the Militia leader (forgot his name) along with the freaky cult guys. I would say that the story starts slow and we have to power through the beggining, but it becomes amazing later on. What I am saying is that this game was an excellent first entry and subsequent games would have been no doubt much better.

Calverz

Cool. Im sure this will be really insightful like the one with james. My only ask jaffe is this time, have a producer on standby lol

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It was a fantastic start to what could've been an incredible series, i enjoyed the shit out of it immensely up until the first fucking horde mission and my utter inability to aim whilst under pressure with a controller really killed it for me but i've parked it until i get a PS5... anyways the game was mechanically sound, the bike handling absolutely superb and the open world was nearly as detailed and believable as TLOU ffs, it all felt real and looked how you would imagine it, to think what that team could've built on with a sequel running purely on PS5 and adding in cities or large scale towns, bigger more diverse map.... ffs Sony!

Bragr

Banned
The interview with Jeff was great, very excited for this one.

I wonder if John was frustrated with the complaining millenialls too. Seemed they pissed Jeff off quite a bit.

One thing I have always wondered about with Days Gone, is the thought process behind the length and the end game narratives. They open and close major archs deep into the game, I was surprised when I was 40 hours in and the game suddenly opened a whole new area and introduced new characters. I liked that they did that, but I don't understand the logic to write the game into such a complex gigantic beast, it must have extended costs and development by a lot.

GymWolf

lol he is absolutely right. The game is a rare case "better than sum of it's parts".
Each part of this game is mostly bad but the game as a whole is rather fun/ok. Story/characters is easily the worst offender
It still has a better story and chara that the last ac games or bethesda games and really not more bug than these games but strangely enough those games get better score even if they don't evev have the excuse of being at their first big open world game on a home console with far less budget/manpower like bend was.

I'm not saying that days gone is more than an honest to god 7/10 game, the problem is with similar inferior games getting better scores just because...

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned

John Garvin- Creator, Writer, Director of DAYS GONE, the entire Syphon Filter series, Golden Abyss, Resistance Retribution, and a SHIT TON MORE- is coming on the stream.

Hope to see ya live.
JtX6kTQ.jpg

JAFFE

Dude you're killing it with these interviews. Your channel is going to skyrocket now. Wish nothing but the best for this channel.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Does anyone know if Garvin is on sabbatical at the moment with Sony Bend or has he cut the cord? I remember articles when Ross left that Garvin didn't technically leave, instead taking a step back for personal projects.

Salz01

I actually think it’s great somebody gets people from the industry to actually talk how it actually is, instead of writing or making click bait articles.

Lunarorbit

Sure to be an interesting listen. Days Gone was talked down by a lot of the press, but I've seen nothing but good things said about it from people who actually played it.
When I first saw days gone I rolled my eyes. Another fucking zombie game. And then the reviews came out and it didn't look good. Sony did themselves no favors letting reviewers play the game unpatched.

It's actually a great game (besides some pretty cheesy dialogue and rote storytelling). Fighting against hordes is a lot of fun and the environment, graphics, and feel of weapons makes it easy to get into. Definitely play it if you haven't yet.

SilentUser

Awesome, your interview with Jeff was great.
If I could say anything to John, it would be just a big "thank you". Thank you for Days Gone, thank you for Resistance Retribution, two of my favorite games from Sony.

Kerotan

Hope to see ya live.
JtX6kTQ.jpg

JAFFE
David that last stream you did was really cool minus the audio hiccups.

Loved golden Abyss and was impressed by what they pulled off on the vita. Resistance on the vita not so much but it was still good.

Days Gone is a classic and the writing was top notch so I look forward to hearing what he has to say.

jaysius

Banned
200.gif

SOJs(Sony Obsessive Jingos) are going to be over anxious like livewires if they don't get some titbit of "good" information from master Jimmy this week. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

dave chappelle tyrone biggums GIF

Syphon Filter was good for it's time, and Days Gone is OK. But some of those games that guy has put his name to aren't great.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I have to agree davidjaffe davidjaffe is doing an amazing job in this case. Good job sir.
He's secretly become one of the best gaming journalists there is.

If you compare gaming journalism to sports journalism, in sports you have people that are ex-star players and coaches moving into commentary after they retire. Jaffe is one of the only examples of a gaming commentator that has created and directed big time games, knows the industry, has connections, and actual game development knowledge.

All he's really missing is the professional studio to film his podcast in and more revenue.

Kokoloko85

TBH Sony cant make sequels for every PS4 game. They need some new IP or use the team for more succesful franchises like Syphon Filter, Killzone, Resistance or Uncharted.
I liked Days gone but Horizon, Spiderman, Ghosts of Tsushima and God of War deserves sequels Way more. Let bend make something new and supposedly they are working on there biggest title yet if this pic is real from twitter: Personally Id love for them to make a new awesome Syphon Filter.

QhrQ4bZ.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom