• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creator of Days Gone- John Garvin- LiveStream Friday 11am- and yeah, he's talking about the article.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
davidjaffe davidjaffe needs to keep doing more of these interviews. Branch out to other devs, talk about their last game or whatever.
He cant. They both mention how Sony PR and Sony Marketing has turned to this ridiculous WE MUST NOT ALLOW DEVS TO SPEAK policy where any kind of genuine conversation like simply cannot take place.

It's sad but it's emblematic of current Sony PR. No one is allowed to talk or react or do anything. It's like Jaffe just said Sony is having a rough fucking two months and there is radio silence from them. That might work in 2012 or 2013 but times have changed. People want immediacy in everything and sony is just not adopting fast enough.

It's really hard for people to not jump to conclusions when Sony are being this fucking quiet about everything. After all, if Sony hadnt said no to kojima, surely they would come out and deny that rumor. if Sony had bluepoint working on the MGS rumor, surely they would deny the fact that MS is the one having BP make. If they hadnt cancelled Days Gone 2, surely they would say hey we are making it. But because they are completely silent, people have no choice but to assume the worst.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Sony could easily just end all this by confirming the fucking game or not.

Yet they remain silent.

PR behavior is fucking annoying.

bitbydeath

He cant. They both mention how Sony PR and Sony Marketing has turned to this ridiculous WE MUST NOT ALLOW DEVS TO SPEAK policy where any kind of genuine conversation like simply cannot take place.

It's sad but it's emblematic of current Sony PR. No one is allowed to talk or react or do anything. It's like Jaffe just said Sony is having a rough fucking two months and there is radio silence from them. That might work in 2012 or 2013 but times have changed. People want immediacy in everything and sony is just not adopting fast enough.

It's really hard for people to not jump to conclusions when Sony are being this fucking quiet about everything. After all, if Sony hadnt said no to kojima, surely they would come out and deny that rumor. if Sony had bluepoint working on the MGS rumor, surely they would deny the fact that MS is the one having BP make. If they hadnt cancelled Days Gone 2, surely they would say hey we are making it. But because they are completely silent, people have no choice but to assume the worst.
That’s a shame, could try others who have left like Amy Hennig. She might have some interesting things to say.

Sony was more silent last year and what the hell do you want. A PR crap like MS is doing?

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Sony could easily just end all this by confirming the fucking game or not.

Yet they remain silent.

PR behavior is fucking annoying.

Why should Sony be subservient to the internet mob? So if they speak up to quell this rumor one way or another... then what do they do when the next one pops up?

You get a bunch of man babies demanding answers online and Sony (or anyone) needs to answer to them? That's absurd.

SlimySnake

Good hot take. JOHN GARVIN said some reviewers don't even played the game, or even beat the game when get review copies.
i knew that as soon as people complained about lack of diversity because there was a woman named Ricki Patel who was a biker in the third camp. She was in a lesbian relationship with a black girl, and there were other black male bikers running the last few camps.

They just played the first two camps and saw two white people running them and stopped playing.

The ride me like your bike joke was a big giveaway because its clearly explained as inside joke later on in the game.

The white zombie thing too. The game goes out of its way to explain that all zombies turn white due to skin mutation. but because its explained towards the end of the game no one remembers it.

RareJordan

Good interview. I’m disappointed with so much focus on race and “people of color”.

I hate that term (how is it any different than “colored people”??) I’m mixed and Days Gone is one of my favorite games ever. I almost don’t want a sequel anymore because I know they would force a bunch of diversity because of all the criticism.

I appreciate Days Gone even more now than when it was released, because I know a non-pandering game like Days Gone is unlikely to ever get made again.

OMG he is saying Sony is after good metacritic score rather than sales.

Personal opinions aside, strategically it doesn’t make sense.

John Garvin saying metacritic is all is quite sad

Honestly, like other big publishers. I'm not blaming Sony. Also, honestly, i liked The Order. Great graphics, story and gunplay and thats it..... but game is shit objectively. So, guess why there is no The Order sequel

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Just heard TheAP99 and he sounds exactly like I thought him to be.

Ryan Gosling Lol GIF

bitbydeath

FUCK I just missed my chance of asking John Garvin a question because my phone's microphone was muted and Jaffe moved into another call before I could undo my mistake 😭
Calls are going back through if you're wanting to try again.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Im so glad John fucking said it, buy the fucking game at normal price if its something that appeals to you! theres so many layers that go along with this that people dont think about but im glad he said it.
Been playing games for almost 30 years now, and I just know what I like and dont like. If anything I have come to realize that game critics have completely lost their minds in recent years.

I remember when Gamespot gave MGS an 8.5 and people thought it was too low. Or when MGS3 got an 8.7 and Zelda got an 8.8. Everyone would lose their shit. Nowadays critics are just completely out of touch. Destiny scored in mid to low 70s and I was like really? How do you even review the game before the raid comes out or before you really see the end game? Of course, they all fell in love with it writing articles after articles but if it wasnt for the marketing Activision had put behind it, it might have failed like Days Gone did.

Metacritic has turned critics into conformists who do not want to go against the grain. So even if they like a flawed game like Anthem, Death Stranding, The Last Guardian or Andromeda, they feel compelled to give it a low score to focus on its flaws completely failing to capture what is so great about these games.

Days Gone has its flaws. A boring first 8 hours, some questionable dialogue and poor editing in the beginning, but its a 40-50 hour game with 90% of being really really good if not excellent. It's crazy that professional critics couldn't see it. If the first AC, the first Uncharted and the first mass effect were instantly dismissed as mediocre 70 games, we wouldve never gotten the exceptional sequels.

It sucks to say but the critics have singlehandedly doomed the following potential franchises this gen:
- Anthem
- Andromeda
- Days Gone
- Death Stranding
- The Last Guardian

KingT731

i knew that as soon as people complained about lack of diversity because there was a woman named Ricki Patel who was a biker in the third camp. She was in a lesbian relationship with a black girl, and there were other black male bikers running the last few camps.

They just played the first two camps and saw two white people running them and stopped playing.

The ride me like your bike joke was a big giveaway because its clearly explained as inside joke later on in the game.

The white zombie thing too. The game goes out of its way to explain that all zombies turn white due to skin mutation. but because its explained towards the end of the game no one remembers it.
It's not that they don't remember it. They didn't fucking finish the game. I honestly doubt most of them played more then 5-7 hours. Hence not knowing major plot points or anything explained outside the first few hours.

Last edited:
Been playing games for almost 30 years now, and I just know what I like and dont like. If anything I have come to realize that game critics have completely lost their minds in recent years.

I remember when Gamespot gave MGS an 8.5 and people thought it was too low. Or when MGS3 got an 8.7 and Zelda got an 8.8. Everyone would lose their shit. Nowadays critics are just completely out of touch. Destiny scored in mid to low 70s and I was like really? How do you even review the game before the raid comes out or before you really see the end game? Of course, they all fell in love with it writing articles after articles but if it wasnt for the marketing Activision had put behind it, it might have failed like Days Gone did.

Metacritic has turned critics into conformists who do not want to go against the grain. So even if they like a flawed game like Anthem, Death Stranding, The Last Guardian or Andromeda, they feel compelled to give it a low score to focus on its flaws completely failing to capture what is so great about these games.

Days Gone has its flaws. A boring first 8 hours, some questionable dialogue and poor editing in the beginning, but its a 40-50 hour game with 90% of being really really good if not excellent. It's crazy that professional critics couldn't see it. If the first AC, the first Uncharted and the first mass effect were instantly dismissed as mediocre 70 games, we wouldve never gotten the exceptional sequels.

It sucks to say but the critics have singlehandedly doomed the following potential franchises this gen:
- Anthem
- Andromeda
- Days Gone
- Death Stranding
- The Last Guardian
Hmm I think what's really fucked up is people turn to other people's opinions to decide what they should play. And it's even more fucked up a 70/100 game is "bad".

assurdum

Banned
Good hot take. JOHN GARVIN said some reviewers don't even played the game, or even beat the game when get review copies.
Come on now. He should avoid narrative like this. I played the game, finished multiple times but it's not a masterpiece and I think after you played 3-4 hours you have a good picture about his gameplay design. Yeah the hordes happen quite later but honestly the game was that, nothing more you get it with dozen of hours of walkthrough. Ok there are morons people on the net who said shit stuff but when a developer starts with such premises seems he want to claim who disliked it, is just a fool who doesn't understand how good it was. Furthermore game had terrible performance issue, bug and glitches until the last patch released to fall 2020. I was quite lucky because I played it in the same time of the patch release; his state was more acceptable (though the first walkthrough was quite rough, tons of FPS problematic and bizzarre glitches which stuck my progressions too) but there are surely many reasons to dislike it and I'm one of the person who definitely have appreciated it; but I perfectly understand if someone criticize DG deeply.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
See how those review bombing from reviewers was really unfair?

They picture a totally different person just because of one single game. Is totally unfair.
Yes, in reality we have this instead.

KingT731

Come on now. He should avoid narrative like this. I played the game, finished multiple times but it's not a masterpiece and I think after you played 3-4 hours you have a good picture about his gameplay design. Yeah the hordes happen quite later but honestly the game was that, nothing more you get it with dozen of hours of walkthrough. Ok there are morons people on the net who said shit stuff but when a developer starts with such premises seems he want to claim who disliked it, is just a fool who doesn't understand how good it was. Furthermore game had terrible performance issue, bug and glitches until the last patch released to fall 2020. I was quite lucky because I played it in the same time of the patch release; his state was more acceptable (though the first walkthrough was quite rough, tons of FPS problematic and bizzarre glitches which stuck my progressions too) but there are surely many reasons to dislike it and I'm one of the person who definitely have appreciated it; but I perfectly understand if someone criticize DG deeply.
And THAT would be totally fair just talking about performance. But a lot of the reviews focused on the story/characters (and shit on them) but somewhat (obviously) didn't go far in that aspect/

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
That same idiot with the broken/day 1 patch theory called in again. lol

That guy cannot be that stupid.. My god.

assurdum

Banned
And THAT would be totally fair just talking about performance. But a lot of the reviews focused on the story/characters (and shit on them) but somewhat (obviously) didn't go far in that aspect/
I mean, you can have fun without doubts but the gameplay doesn't offers anything of new and could become quite repetitive and dull after many hours of walkthrough. I can live with that but I understand if someone can't stand it especially when the story is really bad written, outside the unexpected twist in the ending, the only interesting plot of the whole story.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

- Anthem
- Andromeda
- Days Gone
- Death Stranding
- The Last Guardian
I've not played anthem or andromeda but death stranding is among my favs. Right with tlg. Days gone dragged on but I still liked it. It ran like shit but I am willing to replay it with fresh mind 4k60 on ps5 or pc

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I've not played anthem or andromeda but death stranding is among my favs. Right with tlg. Days gone dragged on but I still liked it. It ran like shit but I am willing to replay it with fresh mind 4k60 on ps5 or pc

Anthem and ME Andromeda have some of the best gameplay ever! They're dirt cheap, might try them on PC for yourself. ME Andromeda is in my top 10 best games of last gen.

DonJorginho

Banned
Anthem despite it's obvious flaws was actually some of the most fun I had last generation when it came to moment to moment gameplay, if you can find some buddies online it is 100% worth the very cheap asking price.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Anthem despite it's obvious flaws was actually some of the most fun I had last generation when it came to moment to moment gameplay, if you can find some buddies online it is 100% worth the very cheap asking price.

Honestly I blocked the party and finished it solo on Hard, same with The Division 1/2. No rush and you appreciate it more.

DonJorginho

Banned
Honestly I blocked the party and finished it solo on Hard, same with The Division 1/2. No rush and you appreciate it more.
I got into solo play only when I wanted that real challenge post story, as I feel like there is some real magic when you and a team with all 4 Javelins work in tandem.

Top Bottom