• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creator of Days Gone- John Garvin- LiveStream Friday 11am- and yeah, he's talking about the article.

I want to see them make an RPG and let another studio take care of Resistance, SOCOM, etc.
Days Gone and TLOU games are hardly comparable beyond the surface level zombie apocalypse tropes.
So not seeing why the two couldn't co-exist on Sony's 1st party line up.
They're fairly similar, Days Gone even has the sneaking mechanic. It's silly to say that they didn't take any inspiration from Last of Us.

Last edited:
Sneaking?

Lol really?
Lol yes, really. The game copies The Last of Us quite a bit and gives it its own spin. You can't kill hundreds of enemies on screen in The Last of Us, or ride motorcycles or anything like that but sneaking was literally the most important mechanic in The Last of Us and yet you can't fathom how even the smallest details could mean that it had some inspiration?

Lol yes, really. The game copies The Last of Us quite a bit and gives it its own spin. You can't kill hundreds of enemies on screen in The Last of Us, or ride motorcycles or anything like that but sneaking was literally the most important mechanic in The Last of Us and yet you can't fathom how even the smallest details could mean that it had some inspiration?

I'm sorry but we're talking about sneaking and stealth kills here

Are we going to nitpick every bog standard mechanic now?

Last edited:

KingT731

I mean, you can have fun without doubts but the gameplay doesn't offers anything of new and could become quite repetitive and dull after many hours of walkthrough. I can live with that but I understand if someone can't stand it especially when the story is really bad written, outside the unexpected twist in the ending, the only interesting plot of the whole story.
Yeah but the point is that if you didn't finish/progress sufficiently(for games that don't have any type of "ending") how can you review a product in good faith(Not to mention when it's your job)? This has been a problem with gaming journalism for a while and has only gotten worse with the increasing "importance" of social media and influencers (People getting their information and forming opinions from people who don't participate in the medium)

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm sorry but we're talking about sneaking and stealth kills here

Are we going to nitpick every bog standard mechanic now?

I honestly think that overall they have similar philosophy, even though they're pretty different somehow. With such a great game, I can't imagine what is even bigger coming up. Glad that Sony even funding a bigger new IP from them. Days Gone 2 can come after it, by then Zombie trend would cool down as many fucking zombie games are out lately.

I honestly think that overall they have similar philosophy, even though they're pretty different somehow. With such a great game, I can't imagine what is even bigger coming up. Glad that Sony even funding a bigger new IP from them. Days Gone 2 can come after it, by then Zombie trend would cool down as many fucking zombie games are out lately.

Yeah once I've played through REVillage i'll probably be done with the Zombie trope for a while

At least until we're graced with State of Decay 3 then I'll wish for a good zombie game again and Bend can deliver after the new IP :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah once I've played through REVillage i'll probably be done with the Zombie trope for a while

At least until we're graced with State of Decay 3 then I'll wish for a good zombie game again and Bend can deliver after the new IP :messenger_beaming:

I would love a Sony 1st party sci-fi game. Returnal is a nice start but would love something more like Mass Effect.

Last edited:
I would love a Sony 1st party sci-fi game. Returnal is a nice start but would love something more like Mass Effect.

Didn't Naughty Dog have some sci fi concept art that leaked or something? Swear that was a thing. It's about time they deviate from their genre again and try something new like an RPG.

One thing John said that I liked was that the devs make Sony, in which we're getting these games because that's what the creatives want to do

Basically we're just waiting from one of the devs to pitch the damn ideas

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Didn't Naughty Dog have some sci fi concept art that leaked or something? Swear that was a thing. It's about time they deviate from their genre again and try something new like an RPG.

One thing John said that I liked was that the devs make Sony, in which we're getting these games because that's what the creatives want to do

That was a Sony Santa Monica canceled project. Well, for now I'm more than happy with what's announced, but thirsty for more indeed!

cragarmi

That was a Sony Santa Monica canceled project. Well, for now I'm more than happy with what's announced, but thirsty for more indeed!
There were rumours a few years ago that ND were making a Savage Starlight game, and the team did tour SpaceX along with Ashley Johnson, so I believe there may have been some truth in it. But that was around 2017 and we have heard nothing since, so it was either shelved or cancelled.I

Edit-However thinking about it there was the museum level in TLOU2, which is probably why they went to SpaceX

Last edited:

MrSarcastic

Banned
What is the meme with Samuel L Jackson? yeah, that one. But instead of english has to be nuance:

"nuance mother fucker, do you speak it?"

If people would integrate a little bit of nuance in their POVs or arguments (especially online) conversations and actual debates could emerge. But who I am kidding right?.

The things that I take after this couple of interviews:

Some people hate Jason no matter what, but these two developers respect him and see value in his work.

politics are a multifaceted subject. You need to be very categoric and specific when talking about these issues. (Jason knows the name of the game and has his own biases).

one thing that I liked was the honesty of these people, developers KNOW when they fucked up, they are smart but they are not infallible.

Crunch is here to stay.

We don't really know what Jim Ryan´s PlayStation is about, maybe is going to take a couple of years to see if he really is making mistake after mistake or if he is a fucking savage executive that is in the game to win no matter what.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Valheim was made by 4 people.

I don't get the interest in Sony bend.

"The reason why Days Gone took us so long is because we never did open world before."

They spent 7 years making a mediocre open world game. That studio was/is completely incompetent.

The reason why we saw the upheaval at Bend is because leadership was over their heads.

"The reason why Days Gone took us so long is because we never did open world before."

They spent 7 years making a mediocre open world game. That studio was/is completely incompetent.

The reason why we saw the upheaval at Bend is because leadership was over their heads.

What are you on about?

Valheim looks like a game made by four people.

Days Gone has a lot more complex systems in place for an open world zombie horde game.

Valheim looks like a game made by four people, and its systems are basic, well known systems found and use in a number of other similar games.

I dont understand why the two comparisons are drawn.

Are you saying because you enjoy Valheim by playing it, that Days Gone now officially suck to you?

What is this post even about.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What are you on about?

Valheim looks like a game made by four people.

Days Gone has a lot more complex systems in place for an open world zombie horde game.

Valheim looks like a game made by four people, and its systems are basic, well known systems found and use in a number of other similar games.

I dont understand why the two comparisons are drawn.

Are you saying because you enjoy Valheim by playing it, that Days Gone now officially suck to you?

What is this post even about.

Valheim is a smashing success with rave reviews because they knew how to scope well and design well.

Days Gone was archaic trash. They could have made a great game. Instead they made a game that puttered.

cragarmi

Bait GIF

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Quantum Error made by 4 people, Valheim looks like made in Dreams by one person.

Days Gone comparison? Really?

Big Sean Omg GIF

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Says Sony would give you the time and money to do it, and says Microsoft would never greelight the project:

Timestamp

well, thats old sony. the sony we all loved and wanted Microsoft to one day aspire to be. Notice how Jaffe tells him that its not the same sony he left 2 years ago. days gone 2 wasnt picked up precisely because of why microsoft wouldve never greenlit the project in the past.

he later went on to say that he never talked business with his friends over at sony bend after he left and had no idea what had happened during the last couple of years.

Valheim is a smashing success with rave reviews because they knew how to scope well and design well.

Days Gone was archaic trash. They could have made a great game. Instead they made a game that puttered.
Valheim is a smashing success thanks to streamers making it go viral.

It is a competent game on it's own, but come the fuck on, that game is very much still based on very common and used systems in other similar games, but just refined.

Graphically, mechanically, it is still very much a basic ass game that appeals to those who enjoyed Minecraft, Rust, Day Z, except done with really shitty art, and graphics.

I'm not in love with Days Gone, mind you.

But I'm just confused as to why you even brought Valheim into the discussion.

SlimySnake

I got into solo play only when I wanted that real challenge post story, as I feel like there is some real magic when you and a team with all 4 Javelins work in tandem.
Yep. Anthem's combat is phenomenal. Dare I say even better than destiny. I have no fucking clue what reviewers want out of these games because when it comes to moment to moment gameplay, it's right up there with the best of the best PvE games. And unlike Destiny which goes out of its way to nerf weapons, abilities and supers, this game said nope, we want this to be a power fantasy. go nuts.

the abilities were awesome, they synergized well with each other, combos going off everywhere, and the weapons were all OP. I remember hating the legendary drop rate but the legendaries were far far better than the exotics in destiny because of random rolls that let you really tailor your builds they way you wanted. something destiny 2 is struggling to do.

And of course the flying. it's laughable that the game is at 54 on metacritic. utterly laughable.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
well, thats old sony. the sony we all loved and wanted Microsoft to one day aspire to be. Notice how Jaffe tells him that its not the same sony he left 2 years ago. days gone 2 wasnt picked up precisely because of why microsoft wouldve never greenlit the project in the past.

he later went on to say that he never talked business with his friends over at sony bend after he left and had no idea what had happened during the last couple of years.

Let's not assume things. TLOU1 was a generational success then they gave it a break and made Uncharted 4 which is a massive success and went to TLOU2 after that. We really need to take a breath from zombie games as it's an exhausted concept that is being constantly released recently in many games. Now they'll make even bigger open world IP that is mostly based on what they've coded in UE4 (UE5 later) then probably revisit DG2 later after the hype has built up again, assuming the writing and the concepts of the new sequel are fully realized to be greenlit.

If I was Sony I would think about it that way, Maybe give TLOU a break as well and try something new. Honestly I would love an open world, or more like small open worlds Uncharted, something like a reboot going back to early days of Sullivan. Also a totally new IP will only prove ND's prowess.

Last edited:

Days Gone is just a shooting gallery. I don't like that it's essentially just an open world horde game, my dream zombie game is one like TWD with melee rather than just generic third person shooter action. I don't know how they could have made this game better though TBF.

mortal

Gold Member
I want to see them make an RPG and let another studio take care of Resistance, SOCOM, etc.

They're fairly similar, Days Gone even has the sneaking mechanic. It's silly to say that they didn't take any inspiration from Last of Us.
So many games feature some variation of that sneaking mechanic. It's arguably become very popular since last gen.
However I wouldn't consider it to be crucial to the core gameplay experience of Days Gone.

I'm not arguing that Bend Studio didn't draw some inspiration from Naughty Dog, among other things like Sons Of Anarchy (which director John Garvin even confirms);
I'm contesting the argument that the two IPs wouldn't be able to co-exist on Sony's 1st party lineup.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Let's not assume things. TLOU1 was a generation success then they gave it a break and made Uncharted 4 which is a massive success and went to TLOU2 after that. We really need to take a breath from zombie games as it's an exhausted concept that is being constantly released recently in many games. Now they'll make even bigger open world IP that is mostly based on what they've coded in UE4 (UE5 later) then probably revisit DG2 later after the hype has built up again, assuming the writing and the concepts of the new sequel are fully realized to be greenlit.

If I was Sony I would think about it that way, Maybe give TLOU a break as well and try something new. Honestly I would love an open world, or more like small open worlds Uncharted, something like a reboot going back to early days of Sullivan. Also a totally new IP will only prove ND's prowess.
Yeah, i'd like ND to go do a new IP as well, but just the way tlou2 ended left a sour taste in my mouth. it feels incomplete. i want ellie's redemption and i cant wait 7 more years to get it lol

btw, they only held off working on tlou2 right away because of all the politics with Amy Henning and Justin Richmond. after they both got fired, bruce and neil had to step in and help finish it, and couldnt really work on two games at a time. iirc, Neil had mentioned that he came up with the idea of the 2016 PSX reveal trailer (ellie playing the guitar) a couple of years before that so he must have been thinking of moving on to the sequel right away.

Thats why I was very miffed at Amy's firing or departure back then. I knew what it had meant when it came to getting a last of us sequel and it eventually took us 7 years to get it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah, i'd like ND to go do a new IP as well, but just the way tlou2 ended left a sour taste in my mouth. it feels incomplete. i want ellie's redemption and i cant wait 7 more years to get it lol

btw, they only held off working on tlou2 right away because of all the politics with Amy Henning and Justin Richmond. after they both got fired, bruce and neil had to step in and help finish it, and couldnt really work on two games at a time. iirc, Neil had mentioned that he came up with the idea of the 2016 PSX reveal trailer (ellie playing the guitar) a couple of years before that so he must have been thinking of moving on to the sequel right away.

Thats why I was very miffed at Amy's firing or departure back then. I knew what it had meant when it came to getting a last of us sequel and it eventually took us 7 years to get it.

Let's hope the sequel has no flashbacks fuckery and going back and forth. I really hate this kinda storytelling. Now I'm only waiting for Returnal, R&C, GT7, Horizon FW, GOW:R. Also Days Gone seems to cost $150M or more and seems John doesn't disagree but doesn't know exactly.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.

They greenlit a new ip for Bend, thats more risky than days gone 2. Sony is still the same, people are just shouting fud

bitbydeath

Days Gone is just a shooting gallery. I don't like that it's essentially just an open world horde game, my dream zombie game is one like TWD with melee rather than just generic third person shooter action. I don't know how they could have made this game better though TBF.
You don’t really get to use guns properly until 3/4’s into the game. Before then it’s mostly melee and being smart with your limited ammo.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So much fun gabbin' with John today!

We talked Days Gone, Syphon Filter,Sony politix,Bend Studio,white supremacy, L'll Jason S's article, and MORE! Preview below.

Amazing! Really, quality content and can't wait for your next interviews. Those are unique on youtube, not to mention that you're a former dev yourself.

Still, so much to watch and will take some time to watch all, which is great.

Keep up the great work!

Last edited:

SlimySnake

They greenlit a new ip for Bend, thats more risky than days gone 2. Sony is still the same, people are just shouting fud
I dont know if its risky, but ignoring what went on the last couple of years and labeling it as fud is a mistake. you have a studio that created a really good game and then you had them waste a year supporting tlou then another year on an uncharted spinoff that didnt pan out.

10 years ago, ND used to make and release full games like u2 and u3 in two years. now sony is just sending these guys off to other studios and taking two years just to greenlight pitches.

i know they are just being safe since games cost a lot more than they did ten years ago, but i also dont see how having a studio that costs tens of million of dollars to run every year do nothing but do support work and come up with new pitches for two years is any less expensive. you still have to pay them the same amount of money you wouldve if they had started dev on a new title right away.

p.s games cost more than ever to make but they also make a lot more than they used to make. sony's gaming division has never been more profitable. they can afford to make these expensive games more than ever.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

So much fun gabbin' with John today!

We talked Days Gone, Syphon Filter,Sony politix,Bend Studio,white supremacy, L'll Jason S's article, and MORE! Preview below.

that was an excellent interview. John was a lot of fun to listen to. it sucks that sony keeps these guys hidden and on a leash because we need to know the real talent behind these games. you were the first real celebrity that came out of sony dev studios, but since you left they have only ever trotted out Cory and Neil.

I guess they dont want directors taking all the credit because if they leave, the studio is no longer considered the same.

Elog

I dont know if its risky, but ignoring what went on the last couple of years and labeling it as fud is a mistake. you have a studio that created a really good game and then you had them waste a year supporting tlou then another year on an uncharted spinoff that didnt pan out.
Alternative way of describing it: The have a studio that got free hands to develop a new game since they had earned it. The game took longer and was more costly to develop than planned. During this long time it also became clear that the new IP was really close to an existing huge one, i.e. TLoU - that also got a sequel in this period.

Reception was mixed. The studio's only suggestion was to make a Days Gone 2 but after internal discussion it was deemed that having two so closely related games in style and narrative did not make sense (TLoU and DG). Ultimately, Bend got a new carte blanche to develop anything they wanted as long as it was new and not so related to an existing franchise. Problem was that nothing was in pre-production so while creating concepts and ideas the studio's production team members supported other studios.

I actually believe that is very close to the truth and it shows 1) some very logical choices between TLoU and Days Gone and 2) That Sony really support and believe in their studios.I understand that some Bend members wanted to make a sequel and was not happy about it but this nasty Sony narrative is pretty far fetched.

SlimySnake

Alternative way of describing it: The have a studio that got free hands to develop a new game since they had earned it. The game took longer and was more costly to develop than planned. During this long time it also became clear that the new IP was really close to an existing huge one, i.e. TLoU - that also got a sequel in this period.

Reception was mixed. The studio's only suggestion was to make a Days Gone 2 but after internal discussion it was deemed that having two so closely related games in style and narrative did not make sense (TLoU and DG). Ultimately, Bend got a new carte blanche to develop anything they wanted as long as it was new and not so related to an existing franchise. Problem was that nothing was in pre-production so while creating concepts and ideas the studio's production team members supported other studios.

I actually believe that is very close to the truth and it shows 1) some very logical choices between TLoU and Days Gone and 2) That Sony really support and believe in their studios.I understand that some Bend members wanted to make a sequel and was not happy about it but this nasty Sony narrative is pretty far fetched.
I think someone here brought up lack of nuance discussing these subjects, and I think people on this forum, or at least I am guilting of it. I dont think that the narrative of sony shying away from automatically greenlighting games is nasty, but I also dont think them not greenlighting every game willy nilly is all that evil. It's just business and when I criticize Jim Ryan, I am criticizing his business decisions. I dont think he's a bad person nor do I have anything against him personally, but being dramatic is fun and sometimes it takes away from the crux of the argument.

I dont know if it was this thread, but I believe i mentioned that sony cancelling days gone 2 based on their sales projections is actually far less sinister than them cancelling it because of their plans to turn bend into a support studio. I can live with that. At the end of the day, we are just criticizing business decisions with the information we have available.

I have also said that they need to do better with their marketing and PR. Jaffe brought this up today about how their entire marketing strategy for the last 25 years was to turn people into fanboys of the brand to the point of obsession, and now all of a sudden they are like 'nope, we dont owe you entitled fucks anything. Just stfu and wait for us to show our games once or twice a year.' It just doesn't work. They need to be a far more transparent with their fanbase they have cultivated over 2 decades.

We can discuss whether or not its good management to not have pre-production done before you finish your game, but at the end of the day, it's just another criticism of their business decision, and I think because of lack of nuance in presenting arguments, people tend to take any criticism of sony, nintendo and microsoft a lot more personally than it's intended.

TLOU didn't invent sneaking lol so I'm guessing Sony shouldn't allow any other game with sneaking in 1st party because TLOU does it. BTW you don't spend all of your time sneaking in Days Gone, you rarely have to do it at all if you don't want to.

I think someone here brought up lack of nuance discussing these subjects, and I think people on this forum, or at least I am guilting of it. I dont think that the narrative of sony shying away from automatically greenlighting games is nasty, but I also dont think them not greenlighting every game willy nilly is all that evil. It's just business and when I criticize Jim Ryan, I am criticizing his business decisions. I dont think he's a bad person nor do I have anything against him personally, but being dramatic is fun and sometimes it takes away from the crux of the argument.

I dont know if it was this thread, but I believe i mentioned that sony cancelling days gone 2 based on their sales projections is actually far less sinister than them cancelling it because of their plans to turn bend into a support studio. I can live with that. At the end of the day, we are just criticizing business decisions with the information we have available.

I have also said that they need to do better with their marketing and PR. Jaffe brought this up today about how their entire marketing strategy for the last 25 years was to turn people into fanboys of the brand to the point of obsession, and now all of a sudden they are like 'nope, we dont owe you entitled fucks anything. Just stfu and wait for us to show our games once or twice a year.' It just doesn't work. They need to be a far more transparent with their fanbase they have cultivated over 2 decades.

We can discuss whether or not its good management to not have pre-production done before you finish your game, but at the end of the day, it's just another criticism of their business decision, and I think because of lack of nuance in presenting arguments, people tend to take any criticism of sony, nintendo and microsoft a lot more personally than it's intended.
What business decisions has Ryan made that are so bad though? PS5 launched during a pandemic and it is the fastest selling console in the US (biggest market) in history, he should be getting praise for figuring out a way to get that to happen with all of the obstacles that he and his teams have gone through. The PC stuff was already being planned before he took over and there was nothing that could be done about MLB.

10 years ago, ND used to make and release full games like u2 and u3 in two years. now sony is just sending these guys off to other studios and taking two years just to greenlight pitches.

i know they are just being safe since games cost a lot more than they did ten years ago, but i also dont see how having a studio that costs tens of million of dollars to run every year do nothing but do support work and come up with new pitches for two years is any less expensive. you still have to pay them the same amount of money you wouldve if they had started dev on a new title right away.

p.s games cost more than ever to make but they also make a lot more than they used to make. sony's gaming division has never been more profitable. they can afford to make these expensive games more than ever.
Naughty Dog Released TLOU in 2013, TLOU remastered in 2014, UC4 in 2016, The Lost Legacy in 2017 and TLOU2 in 2020 that's some pretty high output for a studio especially games of that caliber. They didn't have two separate teams as many like to claim, they all ended up working on the same projects for the most part.

Zeroing

Banned
that’s every brand, Nintendo done it, Sega, Sony and Microsoft

my point of view is, yes they need better engagement to people but I rather Sony be silent and show games than for example MS approach - over hyping everything and releasing short teasers with no date at all.

PS last generation had a lot of games that got postponed and didn’t meet the deadlines, people got “furious” can you really blame Sony for not trying to make that mistake again?

also we are in a middle of a pandemic!

the problem with “journalism” on gaming is people’s opinions that are negatively about just one side... not to the full industry

SlimySnake

that’s every brand, Nintendo done it, Sega, Sony and Microsoft

my point of view is, yes they need better engagement to people but I rather Sony be silent and show games than for example MS approach - over hyping everything and releasing short teasers with no date at all.

PS last generation had a lot of games that got postponed and didn’t meet the deadlines, people got “furious” can you really blame Sony for not trying to make that mistake again?

also we are in a middle of a pandemic!

the problem with “journalism” on gaming is people’s opinions that are negatively about just one side... not to the full industry
I think the problem with the pandemic excuse is that Sony was bad at this before the pandemic. They cancelled e3 2019 and then the psx. It's pretty crazy to think but they have only held one hour long conference in the last three years since the e3 2018 conference. Fans are just starved and rightly so.

They have also not announced an e3 replacement conference yet so we are just going on faith at this point. There is way too much uncertainty right now around PlayStation and the radio silence is hurting more than its helping.

I think they missed a trick by focusing on indie games at their last state of play in February. Should've had at least one big AAA title like horizon or gow.

kyliethicc

David Jaffe

Twitter says that they feel like maybe Sony has changed now, that like Jim Ryan, Herman Hulst, is gonna destroy PlayStation cause they only make safe AAA woke action games now... wheres that creativity coming from anymore? Sure they made Dreams, but like no Knack 3, no more Japan Studio. Death Stranding doesn't count cause thats old now and Days Gone doesn't get a sequel is what Jason is saying.. Naughty Dog are making a game again.. This is what I'm hearing from 3 different people online .. and like Kojima.. is maybe talking to Xbox now cause Philsoft has a statue and Game Pass is a thing ya know but like shouldn't Scott Rohde ask Shu to put MLB The Show on PS Now cause Netflix makes money... and so like why did PlayStation become so conservative now, do you agree?

John Garvin

eu7aVzp.gif

Last edited:

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
David Jaffe

Twitter says that they feel like maybe Sony has changed now, that like Jim Ryan, Herman Hulst, is gonna destroy PlayStation cause they only make safe AAA woke action games now... wheres that creativity coming from anymore? Sure they made Dreams, but like no Knack 3, no more Japan Studio. Death Stranding doesn't count cause thats old now and Days Gone doesn't get a sequel is what Jason is saying.. Naughty Dog are making a game again.. This is what I'm hearing from 3 different people online .. and like Kojima.. is maybe talking to Xbox now cause Philsoft has a statue and Game Pass is a thing ya know but like shouldn't Scott Rohde ask Shu to put MLB The Show on PS Now cause Netflix makes money... and so like why did PlayStation become so conservative now, do you agree?

John Garvin

eu7aVzp.gif
Well I think John made it plenty clear he's not been keeping track of things. That said, perhaps he's right and NOTHING has changed. We will know sooner than later, I would imagine.

Top Bottom