• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Alliance Announced [Certain Affinity, XBLA Action RPG, Screenshots]

Elixist

SAB CA said:
Gametrailers E3 Crimson Alliance Walkthrough

Another Gameplay Video by Gamezone - A killing spree called "Kill Orgy!"? Really? (o_o;)

And yet more Gameplay by Violentreview - This seems to be a further location than the other demos show.

Really like the fact that this game is looking more like a successor to Gauntlet Legends, than just "a Diablo Clone". Fits the "Arcade" feel perfectly!

Ya the combat looks cool, fast and fresh. Diggin the spell effects and the three classes look unique. Likin the torchlightish visuals as well.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Awesome, thanks for the link!

Did we ever figure out WHAT was meant with the SOA promotions "Get the SOA games, get Crim-Al and 3 Characters free!" situation? Did they mean 3 already leveled characters? 3 Additional Characters? 3 Character Avatar outfits? I've not a clue.

Connectless, I'm buying Fruit Ninja just to get this game on the cheap XD Saving 400 pts on it is too helpful, with all the other stuff coming out soon...

mik

mik is unbeatable
Yup. Looks like this:

I7Wpw.jpg

Poker360

I've almost beaten it. The game is pretty good.

I went in expecting a diablo / torchlight style game, i came out realizing this is a gauntlet style game.

Poker360 said:
I've almost beaten it. The game is pretty good.

I went in expecting a diablo / torchlight style game, i came out realizing this is a gauntlet style game.

So pretty much a change of heart from your first impressions then? Also how is the loot system as well? I also believe that co-op will really help out this game.

S1kkZ

i understand his negative first impressions. if you expect a typical loot game ala diablo or torchlight, you will be surprised.

there is a loot system but its very toned down (enemies dont drop loot, its in chests. some of them are hidden via coop-puzzles or door that can only be activated by a specific class or you can buy weapons/armor from stores). but its not a bad thing, since the fighting feels so great (much better than torchlight).

played the assassin for 3 hours and i really like the game.

Raide

S1kkZ said:
i understand his negative first impressions. if you expect a typical loot game ala diablo or torchlight, you will be surprised.

there is a loot system but its very toned down (enemies dont drop loot, its in chests. some of them are hidden via coop-puzzles or door that can only be activated by a specific class or you can buy weapons/armor from stores). but its not a bad thing, since the fighting feels so great (much better than torchlight).

played the assassin for 3 hours and i really like the game.

Is there going to be replayability for the game? Is it pretty much done after you finish it?

S1kkZ

Raide said:
Is there going to be replayability for the game? Is it pretty much done after you finish it?
there is a combo score sytem (if you kill enemies without beeing hit, your combo meter increases and gives you more points with each kill), at the end of each level you get medals based on your score, leaderboards for every level (also friend leaderboards like geometry wars 2), hidden rooms, coop-puzzles, 3 classes and coop.

Gaspode_T

No e-mail...probably final confirmation that people who bought a game through the MS Store and got The Maw are missing out on this one :|

S1kkZ

Gaspode_T said:
No e-mail...probably final confirmation that people who bought a game through the MS Store and got The Maw are missing out on this one :|
i got from dust from the ms store and i got a code.

Poker360

CrazedArabMan said:
So pretty much a change of heart from your first impressions then? Also how is the loot system as well? I also believe that co-op will really help out this game.

Loot is bare bones. Theres basically chests that contain some gear that you will find occasionally. In between missions you can visit different merchants and buy stuff with gold
(and theres some micro transactions here... They have 40k gold for $1, and i must say it is very tempting and i've bought some)

You don't get to assign points to skills or anything, you just get to upgrade the three skills you are given.

I haven't tried co op yet, but it seems to be a major focus of the game.

Raide

Poker360 said:
Loot is bare bones. Theres basically chests that contain some gear that you will find occasionally. In between missions you can visit different merchants and buy stuff with gold
(and theres some micro transactions here... They have 40k gold for $1, and i must say it is very tempting and i've bought some)

You don't get to assign points to skills or anything, you just get to upgrade the three skills you are given.

Apart from skills, is there a leveling system?

I do love me a good loot game but if loot is not the main focus, I am hoping the combat and various encounters will keep people playing.

Any signs of a NG+ option?

FrankT

Poker360 said:

Wait real cash transactions really?

hmmmdonuts

Neo Member
"I also bought from dust from the MS store and got my code yesterday"

Wow, so you simply can buy Dust, and no other games, and get the code?

Poker360

Raide said:
Apart from skills, is there a leveling system?

I do love me a good loot game but if loot is not the main focus, I am hoping the combat and various encounters will keep people playing.

Any signs of a NG+ option?

Theres no leveling up. Technically you don't even level up your three given skills, the gear you buy or get from a few chests will increase the stats of the skills.

I see no reason for a NG+, it doesn't make much sense for there to be one really.

The only incentive for replay would be to play the different characters. Also, leader boards are a big focus. Keeping your multiplier going throughout a level (by not getting hit and continuing to kill enemies) is pretty entertaining, in my opinion. I'm pretty sure you can buy this game and say only get 1 character for a cheaper price than if you bought all 3.

Like i said, this is not a diablo at all, although it definitely looks like one.

and to the person above, no i mean i bought all the other games on my xbox and i bought from dust on the ms store

hmmmdonuts

Neo Member
Okay gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Especially with the shield blocking, and dodge / dashing (versus merely standing and clicking), the game play looks really engaging and fun. Really looking forward to this.

Poker360

Just beat the game.

This game is going to be extremely controversial regarding micro transactions.

Basically, at the beginning, you see "oh 40k gold for only 80 msp.. seems like a good deal".. That is because most of the items don't cost much at the beginning. You get near the end some of the items cost around 80k gold.. And there is almost no possible way to legit get that amount of gold by just playing... unless you grinded for like 20+ hours or something ridiculous.

Without getting the gear, your character won't improve at all. By the end of the game, i had ended up spending about $5 on gold, which made me realize how big of a deal this is.

For those who actually buy this game, and want to get their characters fully upgraded and play on each character, this will end up being about a $30 game.

bathala

Banned
Poker360 said:
Just beat the game.

Basically, at the beginning, you see "oh 40k gold for only 80 msp.. seems like a good deal".. That is because most of the items don't cost much at the beginning. You get near the end some of the items cost around 80k gold.. And there is almost no possible way to legit get that amount of gold by just playing... unless you grinded for like 20+ hours or something ridiculous.

Without getting the gear, your character won't improve at all. By the end of the game, i had ended up spending about $5 on gold, which made me realize how big of a deal this is.

For those who actually buy this game, and want to get their characters fully upgraded and play on each character, this will end up being about a $30 game.
Wow thanks for the heads up.

Torchlight 2 it is

legbone

Gaspode_T said:

nope. i got the maw through that promotion and i got mine yesterday.

anyway, this game is beautiful. i'm loving the hand drawn artwork. this game is really pretty. and either some of the hidden areas are really well hidden, only available in coop, or i'm an idiot. well, at least one of those is true. the area in the first level that states it may only be available with two players was not technically one of the secret areas so i'm thinking it's not the second. probably the first with a large dose of the third.

edit: and to add to the microtransaction coversation, this game definitely feels like microsoft testing the limits of microtransactions. i didn't realize items got so expensive later in the game. that pretty much sucks since the strength of your character depends solely on equipment. that explains the lack of a leveling system. too bad. with a proper leveling system and some skill trees this would have been one of the better loot whore games around. i would have gladly paid $40 bucks for a game that looks like this with the full trappings of a diablo clone. as is, i won't give them another penny. i got the game as a result of buying fruit ninja even though i have no kinect. i wanted this with all the characters for $10. so far i'm happy but i refuse to buy gold from them.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Poker360 said:
Just beat the game.

Hahaha, what a rip off. I will be staying far away from this.

Poker360 said:
Just beat the game.

Wow... wtf is this shit.

Apath

Poker360 said:
Just beat the game.

Disappointing.

Ken

Poker360 said:

Does loot change your character's appearance?

Ken

Poker360 said:
yes.. I really don't even know if it should be called loot though.

I see. I was hoping there would be a heavy emphasis on loot, but it sounds like there isn't.

mujun

Finally got my code. Completed the first level. I like the way the game is layed out, choosing your character, world map, etc. It's fun (arcadey fun, a different beast than Torchlight despite looking similar) and looks nice. Glad to have gotten it for free.

Poker360

My review will be up tomorrow, will post a link when it's up.

Hint: Well built, fun game, majorly set back by unnecessary micro transactions.

Salz01

The thing about micro truncations really bum me out. Also looking for a good loot game. I'm so on the fence about this one. I'm hoping they lower the gold requirements in a patch then.

Top Bottom