• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cringe Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airola

I hate the current Youtube trend where they have an edit/cut every 5 seconds for no apparent reason. Even in the same sentence. It’s fucking bizarre.

It’s like:

“I was walking to the EDIT shops one day and I noticed that EDIT my shoelace was untied, so I EDIT bent down and tied it up.”

Like, what the fuck is this? You’re not editing in other footage or even other audio. You are cutting up your sentence for no fucking reason. Is it because you millenials have the attention spans of goldfish and you have to jazz up a fucking sentence?! Just stop it you dumbfucks. And they all copy eachother like brainless sheep

IT’S CRINGE AS FUCK!

Is there a term for this type of editing? A Derp Cut?

Tell me I’m not the only one noticing this.

I noticed it. I assume they do it to get their video length down.

A full view of a video over 10 minutes is worth more than a video under 10 minutes, but there’s no scaling. So a view of a video with a duration of 4:40 is the same as a view of a video with a duration of 9:59. So to get more full views, I imagine they trim the length down.

Ok, that makes sense then because I noticed that they seem to edit out all the pauses between sentences like where a full stop/period should be. It makes all the sentences flow into eachother with no rhyme or reason and it’s like being in the head of a schizophrenic. I hate it.

As soon as I notice a Youtube video is doing it, I shut it off immediately. It offends my intelligence.

Yeah, it's to remove pauses or blunders or any umms and uhs from their talk. In tv documentaries where there really is a maximum length it can be, they shave off seconds by shortening sentences, cutting of any stuttering, cutting those umms and uhs, and there they hide those cuts by inserting some other footage on them.

That isn't necessary in Youtube videos where there is no time limit and they are not interviews but mostly scripted speeches. But they try to make it as dynamic as possible and they don't generally seem to memorize more than one sentence at a time. So they probably read a sentence, say it a few times and when they feel it's said with the least amount of blunders, they continue to the next sentence. So there's no way to go than have a cut in between each and every line. And they probably think that having the next line continue as fast as possible somehow hides the "one line at a time" recording better than letting there be longer pauses. And when they separate the cuts that fast, then all the spoken parts need to have the same speed and then they'll probably go through the sentences and look any parts that make the lines flow slower than how fast the pauses in between sentences are.

Then there's also the "funny" way to do this, which is to have random closeups with the guy making noises or faces or whatever. They probably have one shot where they do these facial expressions and "funny" noises and then use them as an extra "entertainment" to "hide" the cuts. That's the most annoying form of it.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Now that we bring it up, honestly almost everything trending or popular on YouTube is an entrant for this thread.

Looking at their trending section, or ugh, their gaming trending section, and assuming that’s anywhere close to popular culture, makes you want to commit not alive.

plushyp

Now that we bring it up, honestly almost everything trending or popular on YouTube is an entrant for this thread.

Looking at their trending section, or ugh, their gaming trending section, and assuming that’s anywhere close to popular culture, makes you want to commit not alive.
KcOduyb.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's an equal measure of nausea, and disappointment.

Limmy did a great piss take of this clip.

I cannot figure out limmy and it's amazing. Try watching some of his streams and even though I see his videos for years I still don't always know if it's an act and he is the best comedian ever or he is just crazy.
I mean... I want to think it's all an act (EVERYTHING, the persona, channel, twitch) but he does it for years for hours. Maybe it started as an act and now he is just crazy. That way or another - he is a marvel

MastAndo

I cannot figure out limmy and it's amazing. Try watching some of his streams and even though I see his videos for years I still don't always know if it's an act and he is the best comedian ever or he is just crazy.
I mean... I want to think it's all an act (EVERYTHING, the persona, channel, twitch) but he does it for years for hours. Maybe it started as an act and now he is just crazy. That way or another - he is a marvel
He has a history of mental illness, but I think he's just generally a pretty warped individual who has found a way to channel that into being funny as fuck. I've been a huge fan every since I stumbled upon Limmy's Show a few years back and immediately loved it, to where I'll eat up anything this guy puts out. Really, one of the funniest people on the planet as far as I'm concerned - and the weird part is, it's mostly this bizarre, niche comedy done in an accent/dialect that takes some time to get, so I hardly recommend it to anyone I know, outside of a few Vines or sketches.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
He has a history of mental illness, but I think he's just generally a pretty warped individual who has found a way to channel that into being funny as fuck. I've been a huge fan every since I stumbled upon Limmy's Show a few years back and immediately loved it, to where I'll eat up anything this guy puts out. Really, one of the funniest people on the planet as far as I'm concerned - and the weird part is, it's mostly this bizarre, niche comedy done in an accent/dialect that takes some time to get, so I hardly recommend it to anyone I know, outside of a few Vines or sketches.
I am polish so the difficulty of understanding what he says is at least x2 :p

brap

Banned
WHY WOULD YOU FLUSH A DIAPER DOWN A FUCKING TOILET
HES FUCKING WASHING THE DIRTY DIAPER IN THE SHOWER AND SHOVING IT DOWN THE TOILET WITH HIS BARE HANDS

Bro this is the cringe thread not the based thread. Hope he PWND and TRIGGERED libtards for 10 HOURS.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Bro this is the cringe thread not the based thread. Hope he PWND and TRIGGERED libtards for 10 HOURS.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
This isn't exactly "cringe" but I have no idea where else to show this absurd method of identifying time periods. There is no context as far as I can tell. This is Laura Kaeppeler's only mention on the site. The editor's history seems normal, but they weren't around long.
TiiGzsu.png

termos

Banned
This thread, some of its users, some of its staff.

(Unironically i talked to this OP in private before on a completely different topic on how he took his kids to his uncle in a different state just to get some room or something like that and he refused to sell his two cars despite having financial issues. Reading that thread, he now somehow has the kids sent to China? Like every single aspect of his life seems hyperbole or simply questionable/unrealistic.)
but wheres the video , probably its not available i think

zeioIIDX

Exactly how I feel about DaxFlame. I'm pretty fucking sure he is an act. But if so, he's been playing the character of DaxFlame/Bernice Jauch III for a good 12 years. Pretty damn consistent with it all as well. Even to the point where his interviews for 21 Jump Street and Project X where in character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom