• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross Platform Controller Support (Titan One)

jwm2

I'll wait for some fgc members to review it. Ain't got time for fried usbs or disrupting other players.

FGC? There are plenty of reviews out there. I think in one of the posts above its suppose to be reviewed on wpcentral here sometime soon.

There's no reason to believe it will fry a usb port, it doesn't draw any more power than any other peripheral.

As for disrupting other players, i'm not sure I understand what that means. If you mean by using one you'll dominate the action and matches, then just don't use the GamePacks or controller mod features. It works great for cross over controllers and keyboard and mouse support. You don't have to use the mods, they are just available in case you want to use them.

Of course if you don't want to use these features then there's no need to buy one. I won't push one on you, but having used one myself for quite some time, i can honestly say I couldn't imagine not using one. Its one of those things where you don't realize how nice it is until you use it and then once you do you can't imagine life without it :)

jwm2

Any ETA on that update?

I'm not sure. You may want to signup at the forum www.consoletuner.com/forum and ask Jefferson yourself. He will be able to give you a much better idea than I can about the progress and ETA for Wii U support. I know he is working on it, but other than that I don't know much about the progress. He goes by the handle J2KSupport (or it might be SupportJ2K).

Karak

I'm sorry to hear of your issues. Did you contact them on their forum? Jefferson (the creator) is very quick at fixing any bugs you may run into. The development of this is on-going and as new features are added it may introduce some small bugs in other areas, but a quick post on the forum will grab his attention and he'll quickly reply with a solution or firmware update.

There really is no comparison between the Titan One and Cronus, the Cronus line has been discontinued and is no longer supported. And btw that firmware is at least 10 months old since its last official update and does not have any of the new features and optimizations of the new firmware. I have both devices and the Titan One runs with no lag what-so-ever, while the old cronus still has about 5-10ms of lag, which when compared side to side is a big difference.

Honestly, it didn't feel at all ready for primetime. Nor did anyone in my langroup who got them feel that way. Each to their own though. All our Cronus work so the real comparison is...well working. Also there is absolutely 100% lag with both devices. Anyone saying there isn't is selling hot sauce.

antibolo

Banned
Gonna have to wait for a serious 3rd party review that will fully test the lag on this thing before I even consider the possibility of buying one.

FGC? There are plenty of reviews out there. I think in one of the posts above its suppose to be reviewed on wpcentral here sometime soon.

There's no reason to believe it will fry a usb port, it doesn't draw any more power than any other peripheral.

As for disrupting other players, i'm not sure I understand what that means. If you mean by using one you'll dominate the action and matches, then just don't use the GamePacks or controller mod features. It works great for cross over controllers and keyboard and mouse support. You don't have to use the mods, they are just available in case you want to use them.

Of course if you don't want to use these features then there's no need to buy one. I won't push one on you, but having used one myself for quite some time, i can honestly say I couldn't imagine not using one. Its one of those things where you don't realize how nice it is until you use it and then once you do you can't imagine life without it :)

Do you have a link to a fighting game.community review?

jwm2

Honestly, it didn't feel at all ready for primetime. Nor did anyone in my langroup who got them feel that way. Each to their own though. All our Cronus work so the real comparison is...well working. Also there is absolutely 100% lag with both devices. Anyone saying there isn't is selling hot sauce.

That is impossible. The CronusMAX is using an old version of the Titan One firmware. I know this to be fact. You can ask Jefferson yourself if you'd like on the forum. I'm sure he'd be happy to set you straight.

jwm2

Do you have a link to a fighting game.community review?

I don't, i'm not sure if its been reviewed by a fighting game group. But you might want to contact them on the forum and see. Sorry I can't be of much help. There is a video of showing it in use on Tekken.

I don't, i'm not sure if its been reviewed by a fighting game group. But you might want to contact them on the forum and see. Sorry I can't be of much help. There is a video of showing it in use on Tekken.

There was an issue with the Cronus Max where it would cause the other player (not using the Cronus Max) to have dropped inputs. Is that issue still present in the Titan one?

That issue caused the fighting game community to ban is usage in tournaments

Ivan

Yes it does. It will allow you to use just about any controller on any console. Keep in mind for the PS4 you will need to use a PC or laptop running the Gtuner Pro software and MaxAim DI plugin.

I would pay a lot of money for something that would let me use DS3 on PS4 for certain games.

Please, please tell me that will be possible...

If you do that without any lag and need for a pc ond other extreme stuff like that, just plug n play DS3 on PS4, I'll buy your product for any price and love you forever, of course :D

Please give me some info on this.

jwm2

I would pay a lot of money for something that would let me use DS3 on PS4 for certain games.

Please, please tell me that will be possible...

If you do that without any lag and need for a pc ond other extreme stuff like that, just plug n play DS3 on PS4, I'll buy your product for any price and love you forever, of course :D

Please give me some info on this.

Due to the authentication requirements you will need to use a PC connected to your PS4. A workaround is being worked on, but has not been released yet (that i know of). But its easy to connect a PC and all you need is the cables it comes with to do so.

jwm2

There was an issue with the Cronus Max where it would cause the other player (not using the Cronus Max) to have dropped inputs. Is that issue still present in the Titan one?

That issue caused the fighting game community to ban is usage in tournaments

Actually there is a Tournament Edition firmware that will be released within the next 7-14 days. It disables all the mods and only allows for cross console controller support as well as button remapping (i.e.: ps3 uses bumpers for shooting vs triggers on xbox 360). It will be a free firmware download in Gtuner Pro. Check consoletuner.com for more info on its development and release.

Ivan

Thanx for the answer, but usinng a pc while gaming on console is a deal breaker for me.

Can't wait to try that new solution, CAN'T WAIT!

Actually there is a Tournament Edition firmware that will be released within the next 7-14 days. It disables all the mods and only allows for cross console controller support as well as button remapping (i.e.: ps3 uses bumpers for shooting vs triggers on xbox 360). It will be a free firmware download in Gtuner Pro. Check consoletuner.com for more info on its development and release.

But does it still cause dropped inputs?

So there is really no lag? And I can use a Dualshock 4 on my Xbone? I think I might buy this thing!
Oh fuck, it's 60 bucks. That's a lot for a dongle... I'll keep my eye on it for now I guess.

plainr_

Yes it does. It will allow you to use just about any controller on any console. Keep in mind for the PS4 you will need to use a PC or laptop running the Gtuner Pro software and MaxAim DI plugin. But you can use any wheel such as those made for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PC, etc on your PS4 using this method. And due to this you have a wide array of configuration options for things like deadzones, etc. Essentially with this you can make your steering wheel feel exactly the way you want it to, to suit your driving style and feel :)

Does force feedback on the steering wheel work? G27 on the PS4?

antibolo

Banned
There is no lag at all. But you are free to do as you wish.

Sorry, but I'm going to need more than your word for it. Please don't take it personally. People have genuine reason to be wary of this product, considering how its predecessor failed to meet expectations.

jwm2

So there is really no lag? And I can use a Dualshock 4 on my Xbone? I think I might buy this thing!
Oh fuck, it's 60 bucks. That's a lot for a dongle... I'll keep my eye on it for now I guess.

Yes thats correct. If you want proof please feel free to contact Jefferson on his website. Its really worth the price of admission IMO.

jwm2

But does it still cause dropped inputs?

I've never had issues with drop outs. Those drop outs must be because of something different. I'd really have to have more information on the setups before I could recommend a possible solution, but in my experience that is not an issue that is still present. It might have been a bug at one point in time, but those days are long gone. Jefferson is great at squashing bugs, so if you have a unit that is having that problem he is the one to talk to. My guess is the unit itself may have been defective or it was running a very old and buggy version of the firmware. The Titan One does NOT have this problem, and that I can attest to.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Input lag? Dropped inputs?

Gonna need more than one poster (hi, you know who you are) saying it doesn't have either before I'd give it the time of day for the sake of 360 controllers on PS3.

thefil

Do you need one per controller, or can you say use multiple wireless 360 controller on PS3 with a single dongle?

jwm2

Input lag? Dropped inputs?

Gonna need more than one poster (hi, you know who you are) saying it doesn't have either before I'd give it the time of day for the sake of 360 controllers on PS3.

Why don't you give it a try yourself? It's $59.95 and you can return it within 2 weeks if you don't like it. It's not like its a $100-150 device, it costs the same as 1 video game.

I don't think any of the consoles have ever locked these adapters out because it acts as a transparent proxy.
It wouldn't be unprecedented; last gen one of the PS3 firmware updates killed compatibility with a number of unlicensed HID controllers, adapters, and fightsticks.

jwm2

It wouldn't be unprecedented; last gen one of the PS3 firmware updates killed compatibility with a number of unlicensed HID controllers, adapters, and fightsticks.

That update did nothing to the Titan One. The console sees the authentication from the OEM controller and believes its a first party controller. 3rd party controllers use unofficial authentication which can be detected. By using a first party controller as the controller id, the console is never the wiser.

plainr_

Does force feedback on the steering wheel work? G27 on the PS4?

Can anyone answer this? Can't seem to find but one video on this topic on Google.

EDIT:

It seems ChronusMax 2.0 will support FFB for any wheel. Guess I'll wait for that.

jwm2

Can anyone answer this? Can't seem to find but one video on this topic on Google.

EDIT:

It seems ChronusMax 2.0 will support FFB for any wheel. Guess I'll wait for that.

So you don't mind supporting pirates and hackers I see. Ahh well.

C-Sword

Meh, come back to me when they make a PS2/PS3 to current gen converter that doesn't require a wired controller for authentication. Go to shoryuken, they despise the CronusMax and other similar devices, because of the Macro and unreliability.

jwm2

Meh, come back to me when they make a PS2/PS3 to current gen converter that doesn't require a wired controller for authentication. Go to shoryuken, they despise the CronusMax and other similar devices, because of the Macro and unreliability.

Yeah the CronusMAX are unreliable because of who makes them. They do not use the same high quality components as the Titan One. In fact due to this the Titan One is compatible with the XIM4 and the CronusMAX is NOT. There's quite a list of features not available on the CronusMAX due to their instance on using inferior parts. The Titan One's are all pre-tested and programmed by hand, so the defect ratio is less than 1 per 1000.

Also the tournament edition firmware coming out this week sometime will disable the macros and cheats. You can of course use the regular firmware if you wish but the Tournament edition firmware should be suitable for tournaments as it flashes TE across the LED board when in use so its easy to identify.

plainr_

So you don't mind supporting pirates and hackers I see. Ahh well.

Of course not.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of the situation between Cronusmax and the Titan One before posting in this thread, but you didn't have to be an ass about it.

Kampfheld

Banned
The whole Cronus Max / Titan One situation is rather stupid. They were a team a few month ago working together on the same thing, then there were some differences within the team and they split up. Now they both hate each other and keep stating that the other device is just a copy with less features or whatever. I don't know who started this and honestly I don't care - it is just super irritating for a customer. Both devices are kind of the same with very minor differences.

vin-buc

I bought this to try the controller mods for the PS4 - not really using different controller on different console. My experience is this:

1. Very easy to setup/use
2. Changing any mod settings from the stick itself is not clear - use a PC
3. Console tuner software is pretty solid
4. Support (Jeff) is excellent IMO - his COD gamepack had a "no recoil" mod but it didn't work for anyone who plays with an inverted Y-axis (me). He patched it in 24 hours and released a new version. That was impressive.

I can also say that software mod is not as good as a hardware mod. The gamepacks are not perfect but they do work (automatic P226 w/ suppressor is a monster). It's a hack/mod but in no way will it make you invincible - in fact there is a learning curve for the new abilities (mapping scope in's, auto-drop shots, auto-jump shots, etc.). It just makes the game a bit more fun (at no-one's expense).

Before purchasing - go to the forums for the Titan One site and look at the postings for answers.

Input Lag - i'm very aware of this issue i changed from using a TV to a 1ms refresh rate/low input lag gaming monitor because i was sucking and i knew it couldn't of been because of lack of skill. When first using the Titan One - ZERO lag. After a few days of use - i felt a small lag on inputs - and i was using a direct usb plug-in to the stick (no bluetooth wireless). I can't confirm but i need to follow-up w/ my testing.

If you are planning to use KB/M on the consoles - please look how that gets setup. My understanding is that it's kinda messy.

Astarte

How does keyboard support work for consoles? One of my friends is limited only to using a keyboard for fighting games and it gets pretty frustrating when a fighting game is console exclusive and he can't play at all.

eastx

How does keyboard support work for consoles? One of my friends is limited only to using a keyboard for fighting games and it gets pretty frustrating when a fighting game is console exclusive and he can't play at all.

Does he have a disability, or really bad taste?

Skilletor

I know several people who use keyboards for fighters. They grew up playing emulators on kailera and it's their preferred way to play. It's really not that different from using a hitbox.

It'd be great if we could stop with the elitism with how people choose to play their games since it doesn't affect anybody but the person who chooses to play that way.

I THINK that you'd map controls within the GUI that comes with the TitanOne, but I'm not 100% positive. I have only tried controllers.

vin-buc

I believe you have to have the pc hooked up to the titan one (which is hooked to the console). The Titan One has 2 inputs but i don't think that you can add a KB/M to both. I know Jeff was working on a possible fix for that.

Astarte

Keyboards actually work pretty great :V
I use a hitbox and they're pretty similar, it's just that I'm more used to movement with my left hand.

Okay so if more concrete stuff comes out in regards to keyboards I'll look into getting one of these.

eastx

I know several people who use keyboards for fighters. They grew up playing emulators on kailera and it's their preferred way to play. It's really not that different from using a hitbox.

It'd be great if we could stop with the elitism with how people choose to play their games since it doesn't affect anybody but the person who chooses to play that way.

I didn't mean to be elitist. I should know better since PC Master Race guys always annoy the hell out of me with their praises of mouse and keyboard. I would still *think* a joystick would be a lot better for fighters (it's usually what they're primarily designed for), but of course people should use whatever they like best.

schwupp

I don't know who started this and honestly I don't care - it is just super irritating for a customer. Both devices are kind of the same with very minor differences.

what is the difference actually?

as far as i could find out both have the same features and limitations.
the only difference i see is a different version of gtuner (cronus = 3.06 / titan = 3.10).
but i have no idea what this means for the end user ...

jwm2

The whole Cronus Max / Titan One situation is rather stupid. They were a team a few month ago working together on the same thing, then there were some differences within the team and they split up. Now they both hate each other and keep stating that the other device is just a copy with less features or whatever. I don't know who started this and honestly I don't care - it is just super irritating for a customer. Both devices are kind of the same with very minor differences.

I understand your point of view but at the same time its not right that a group Jefferson worked with for 2 months has now stolen his device, firmware and software and are passing it off as their own. I'm sure if you created a similar device and was in the same situation you'd be upset as well. He is taking legal measures to shut them down, but that takes time. So until this is resolved the best thing that can be done is to spread the word about the truth and hope customers make the right decision.

The differences in the firmware and software are actually much larger than you think. For instance the Titan One has PS4 wireless authentication and support. The CM does not. In fact there is no wireless PS4 support on the CM. Thats a huge feature IMO. Not to mention the visual scripting, XIM4 support, Zero Lag, Anti-Recoil, several GamePacks (i.e.: destiny), bug fixes, MaxAim DI, and the list goes on. There's even a tournament edition firmware slated to come out in a few days for the T1, which will allow gamers to use fight sticks at some competitions.

jwm2

Keyboards actually work pretty great :V
I use a hitbox and they're pretty similar, it's just that I'm more used to movement with my left hand.

Okay so if more concrete stuff comes out in regards to keyboards I'll look into getting one of these.

The only thing you need for keyboard and mouse support (besides the Titan One) is a PC or laptop. You connect the Titan One to your console, plug in the controller to the Titan One and then run the programming cable from the PROG port to your PC. Then any keyboard and mouse connected to your PC is what you will use. There are of course advantages and disadvantages to this. The only disadvantage is you need a PC (obviously), but the advantages are you get no lag, you can customize the feel and remove any possible deadzones, adjust the acceleration, and remap the keys and controls however you want.

Man, I am really interested in this. I would love to play MCC with a 360 controller.

edit: wait, there are controller mods that are advertised as undetectable online? Seems like there'd be a good case for banning the product from Sony/MS point of view, right?

There's even a tournament edition firmware slated to come out in a few days for the T1, which will allow gamers to use fight sticks at some competitions.

Nope. If tournament organisers can't tell that the T1 is running a tournament friendly firmware from a glance then they're not going to let you use it. Tell the maker of Titan One to make a locked, TE friendly device that doesn't allow cheats etc. - a different colour or something so that we can tell from a glance.

Also, if he made the CronusMax and the TitanOne why are Cronus owners being left in the cold by him? Why can't he just write firmware for that too?

How do I know if I buy the Titan One too that I'm not going to be left in the cold again when the Titan Two comes out?

Also, re: Titan One supporting scripting and PS4 wireless - I don't care for any of that. I just wanted to use my Xbox One stick on a 360 and vice versa.

jwm2

Nope. If tournament organisers can't tell that the T1 is running a tournament friendly firmware from a glance then they're not going to let you use it. Tell the maker of Titan One to make a locked, TE friendly device that doesn't allow cheats etc. - a different colour or something so that we can tell from a glance.

Also, if he made the CronusMax and the TitanOne why are Cronus owners being left in the cold by him? Why can't he just write firmware for that too?

How do I know if I buy the Titan One too that I'm not going to be left in the cold again when the Titan Two comes out?

Also, re: Titan One supporting scripting and PS4 wireless - I don't care for any of that. I just wanted to use my Xbox One stick on a 360 and vice versa.

Actually the TE firmware will have an easy to glance at way to tell if its in tournament mode :)

If you read one of my previous posts the reason he had a falling out with them is because they weren't paying him at all. He created a few features for them so they could rebrand it from Cronus to CronusMAX and then when it came time to pay him for his work and using his device they bailed and instead used that money to find someone to crack his firmware so they could use it without paying him in the future.

I understand you may not need ps4 support and thats fine, i was just pointing out that was one of the features it does support and the CM does not. You can use any Xbox One fight stick on your Xbox 360 and vice versa with the Titan One and lets say you happen to run into a bug, a quick post on the ConsoleTuner.com/forum will have it fixed within 24 hours as stated by the other guy above. I've seen Jefferson fix problems that IMO should have taken days within a matter of minutes. In fact many times what takes the longest is the testing of the fix or feature.

Not to mention by supporting the Titan One you are given access to Jefferson. So if you would like a new feature, just suggest it to him. He is constantly evolving this device based on customer and reviewer feedback. So its kind of cool to know you can dream up something and within days or weeks see it become a reality (all without doing any coding yourself, ha!). Jefferson loves to create, but like any artist sometimes they need outside influence to know what to create next. Thats where you come in ;)

schwupp

Not to mention the visual scripting, XIM4 support, Zero Lag, Anti-Recoil, several GamePacks (i.e.: destiny), bug fixes, MaxAim DI, and the list goes on. There's even a tournament edition firmware slated to come out in a few days for the T1, which will allow gamers to use fight sticks at some competitions.

isnt that all part of gtuner and plugins? both products use it ...

jwm2

Man, I am really interested in this. I would love to play MCC with a 360 controller.

edit: wait, there are controller mods that are advertised as undetectable online? Seems like there'd be a good case for banning the product from Sony/MS point of view, right?

Actually due to how this works thats not currently possible. And again this device was originally invented in 2010 and has been used by over 20,000 since then with NO problems, even when they patched the PS3 firmware and locked out several 3rd party controllers.

The way this unit works is the console believes its just another first party controller connected as the authentication and controller id is passed through the device to the console. Once that is done the Titan One is free to manipulate the controller output signal however it wants. This is how features like rapid fire can exist without being detected. Of course its not recommended you use these online for the sake of fairness, but that is up to you.

Top Bottom