• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross-Platform Smash Bros. coming to 3DS/WiiU, [Has Not Started Development]

FoneBone

It doesn't sound like they're ready to actually show anything (it's not properly in development), but there you have it.

Hex

Banned
Smash Brothers on a new Nintendo console?
You don't say!
The hype machine will be fun though.

Eh.. cross platform makes me more concerned for quality. Color me concerned and not exuberant.

Anth0ny said:
As long as I can still use the GC controller, I'm happy.

If not, fuck this.

Yeah, can you imagine how fun it'll be with that huge thing?

Kyzer

Banned
Why do they not show HD games on the controller screen? Is this going to be 3DS (Wii at best) graphics all around? =/

Better have a lot of content. More than Brawl. Wait. How big are the cartridges. Ugh.

JCX

Obsessed said:
Oh. my. GOD!

I wonder if there will be a Smash Bros Dojo again.

More excited for a new dojo than either game. Controller also looks awkward for it. Gamecube controller 4 lyfe

Anth0ny said:
As long as I can still use the GC controller, I'm happy.

If not, fuck this.

You probably can, they made a point about the Wii peripherals all working. At the very least, you should be able to use a Classic Controller, I guess...

I'm happy that they've announced console-handheld interconnectivity. Hopefully it's something they run with.

I want a new Mario Golf!

shaowebb

I'm imagining what I could do with a Smash Bros that does what they said.

There are2 new ones. One for 3DS one for Wii U and they can play against each other on their respective versions. That means I can portable have matches with my family at home.

Also the new controller allows for not just one but two games at once from what some of the 3rd party developers said was possible. You play one match your buds play theres on the tv as well.

Finally, my big thought is what if they use that touchscreen as an item HUD. Imagine if you could STORE an item to whip out at a random time on someone in a match like in mario kart. Both 3DS and Wii U have seperate screens so this is a VERY REAL possibility.

Hype machine is ON.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I got a close look at Wii U in background and I don't see any way to plug gamecube controllers and they DIDN'T MENTION gamecube products at all.

shaowebb

leroidys said:
I don't think nintendo realizes what they're doing.

If its coming to 3DS, then I won't have to buy a Wii U.

I don't know about that...remember the enormous Mother stage and how small you got on a big screen as you all fought in different corners.?

I know it's one stage I'd be at a disadvantage on with a 3DS versus my big screen. Personally, I'm already getting a 3DS for Kid Icarus, but that Wii U looks badass. Especially the stylus capabilites I saw for art. I draw for my moneys and I gotta say that thing looks up there at cintiq level touch sensitivity for art funs.

Knowing that I'm getting a free tablet for art with my next HD console that allows for Smash Bros gaming is such a big incentive perk for me.

seady

I have strong feeling it wouldn't be the kind of cross-platform play we hope it to be.

The gap between Vita and PS3 is pretty close, so it's easy to do cross-platform play with no sacrifice. But 3DS + WiiU will be kinda hard. I expect some simple gimmick like item management or something.

I seriously hope they have something to show the first night of E3, like they did for Brawl's reveal.

I'm pretty shocked they had the nerve to walk out on-stage and say, "New Smash Bros. coming! Trust me! :D" once again without a single picture.

Maffis

Kulock said:
I seriously hope they have something to show the first night of E3, like they did for Brawl's reveal.

I'm pretty shocked they had the nerve to walk out on-stage and say, "New Smash Bros. coming! Trust me! :D" once again without a single picture.

They had the ''nerve'' to confirm a new smash bros for fucks sake. That is enough.

kirblar

I suspect the WiiU version will simply have the 3DS version included and available via the controllers to play multiplayer.

True cross-platform play seems like a pipe dream here.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Smash Brothers 3DS = Focusing on handheld series (Starfy, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Drill Dozer) while Smash Brothers WiiU focuses on console series? Alongside the regulars, of course.

That's one possible distinction I thought of. Maybe the 3DS version will just end up being a 3DS remake of the original Smash with updated graphics or something?

Maffis said:
They had the ''nerve'' to confirm a new smash bros for fucks sake. That is enough.

Oh thank GOD they promised a name.

They should have shown something. Maybe they still will. Even if it's CG, they have to show some work. If there's almost nothing done, announcing it was a cheap grab for applause.

leroidys

Kurtofan said:
What if it's a different game?

Yeah if its a totally different game it will be a different story.

But if its roughly the same game with the same roster (maybe an exclusive fighter or two for each version), my greatest reason for buying the next nintendo home console gets tossed out the window.

Cross-platform eh? Hope this fact doesn't stymie the WiiU version. Also GC controllers please! Looking forward to more information.

They just said they will interact, not that it'll be the same game. Almost guaranteed there will be a separate "minigame" type of thing for the 3DS, or StreetPass stuff you can do, while the main game will be on the new console.

Top Bottom