• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrossCode - 2D Action-RPG for Browsers, PC (now on IndieGoGo; Wii U stretch goal)

Sölf

I wonder what engine they use

From their Presskit:

At the end of the year 2011, we started development the current HTML5-version, based on impact.js. We developed not only the game but also heavily customized the engine (about 95% of the source code rewritten) to better match our needs.

You can also read their blog, they are posting every 1-2 weeks there, by now they pretty much have their own engine.

Sölf;153899183 said:
Nearly 10k. If it continues like that there won't be any problems funding this.

I really hope they'll break the 100k mark, though.
I mean, I already pumped 250€ into that game but I REALLY wanna play this on my Wii U and will gladly buy it again for that system.

I just played the demo. My God, the controls were just the right kind of responsive. Really dig the art style and animations too. The combat had a nice rhythm to it, and I really like how I could dash-cancel out of my melee attacks.

Will see if I can scramble up some spare change for a donation.

The devs posted a devlog update yesterday covering menus and custom eat animations for consumables.
lea-eat.gif

And this gif is just cool. Kinda reminds me of Yoshi's Island
bounce-switch.gif

They might have hit this on Kickstarter, but no chance on Indiegogo.

Looks great though!
The thing is that while Europeans can easily back a project on Kickstarter they cannot start crowdfunding campaigns on it. Indiegogo is the only other popular solution to this.
And as long as it gets enough exposure it can totally meet its goal even on Indiegogo.

Man, this is gonna be a close one, isn't it? 1/5 of the days gone, and 1/5 of the target money reached. I seriously hope this gets funded. >.< The demo was a blast.

DrLazy

Really well made demo. This team knows what they're doing. Very retro feel. A little too story focused for my taste.

Roubjon

I wish them the best. It's cool to see more ImpactJS engine games coming to fruition. It's pretty awesome how portable they are.

20,000€+ achieved in just over 8 days. So it's 25% funded already.

Which makes me happy.

The demo is also now available in German since yesterday, which might be nice to have for our German speaking members here on GAF.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Tried out the demo and I said wow three times, the last game to do that was Ghost Trick.

Wish I could back this project but my fund is kinda limited at the moment but I wish them luck on their campaign and hope that it meets the Wii U goal.

Sorry for the double post, but some people might be interested in that the team is updating the in-game artwork right now, seeing as there are people (even in this thread) who didn't quite like how it turned out initially, so here's a nifty before->after picture of some of those faces:

Better shading, more details, and more beautiful beards all over!

They also posted artwork for some new enemy designs, which I really dig for the most part:

Can't really go wrong with rock people but that's just my opinion.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This campaign is really struggling. Tempted to up my pledge even though the exchange rate with euros will shaft me.

Makes me mad that a game like this is struggling when so many mediocre or even awful projects get quadruple funded. FFS there's even a kick-ass demo to try, these people are legit, and who doesn't love Ys gameplay?

:(

Decado

Looks interesting and I liked what little I played of the demo. But 15 euro is a lot for this type of game. Doesn't help that it is on indiegogo.

Chariot

Looks interesting and I liked what little I played of the demo. But 15 euro is a lot for this type of game. Doesn't help that it is on indiegogo.
Indiegogo is a problem, yes. But what do ypu mean "this type of game"? Indie? Pixelart? Amazing?

Decado

Indiegogo is a problem, yes. But what do ypu mean "this type of game"? Indie? Pixelart? Amazing?

Holy shit. Never mind. Didn't realize the Euro had tanked against the USD in the last year or two. Price seems just a little high, but not drastically like I originally thought.

Also, +10k seems really low for a console version.

Wii U version probably not gonna happen

Oh, I hope it reaches the WiiU stretch goal.

I'm regularly in touch with one half of the founding members of Radical Fish Games who told me that if the game reaches it's funding goal of 80,000 &#8364; there will most probably be the option to back after the fundraising campaign as well, so the Wii U version might still be happening.

It has to reach it's funding goal though. If it doesn't that doesn't mean the end of the game, it will just take way longer to develop because these people basically dedicated their own free-time to this game for the last two or three years.

Also for people complaining about the exchange rate from &#8364; to $US or the other way around: Both currencies are almost equal right now. If you pay in $US you can add like 5% or so on the numbers showing. If you pay via PayPal they will also show you the exact exchange rate and price in your currency you have to pay.

Just throwing that out there.

I am also as concerned as everyone else when I look at the funding counter and how many days are left.
This campaign could JUST reach it's goal if it goes on like this, if the typical last 5 days of the campaign give it another huge boost as does happen with many other fundraising campaigns out there.

One of the founding members of Radical Fish Games is actually on eof my best friends and he told me more than once that the finished game is planned to have at least something like 30-40 hours of playtime.
I can't remember if this is meant for just the story part or all game modes in one, but still, 15&#8364; for 30-40 hours of gameplay is a very good investment, regardless of the type of game.
Fake EDIT: Caught your new post just while I was writing this. So yeah, spread the word, it would help :)

Such a shame how this isn't instantly on ps4/vita
That's because this game is made with HTML5 and JavaScript.
As far as I'm concerned Sony doesn't offer a kind of framework for that in contrast to Nintendo, who offers the Nintendo Web Framework that uses HTML5 and JavaScript.
It's also quite expensive to develop for Sony platforms, whereas you can get a Wii U devkit for, I think, 10,000&#8364; or something. I may be off with that number, but I'm sure it was no more than 30k.
A PS4 devkit can cost you quite a lot more, at least a 6-figure number, if I remember correctly.
Doesn't mean they won't look into it, just that it's not as likely as a Wii U version.

jholmes

Are these guys just porting over from HTML5 on Wii U? No way I back this unless they have a prototype working on the system after the Cosmochoria debacle.

Are these guys just porting over from HTML5 on Wii U? No way I back this unless they have a prototype working on the system after the Cosmochoria debacle.
That's a bit harsh, man.
I don't know about what happened with Cosmochoria but it's not like they have anything to do with that game.
Also they do have an internal prototype already which runs at just 30fps or so the last time I was told about it, but the focus is on the PC version right now anyway.

And you can trust me when I say that they will optimize the shit out of it when it comes to Wii U. They don't want to deliver a subpar port.

jholmes

That's a bit harsh, man.
I don't know about what happened with Cosmochoria but it's not like they have anything to do with that game.
Also they do have an internal prototype already which runs at just 30fps or so the last time I was told about it, but the focus is on the PC version right now anyway.

And you can trust me when I say that they will optimize the shit out of it when it comes to Wii U. They don't want to deliver a subpar port.

What happened with Cosmochoria?

Not trying to be harsh or dump on CrossCode, the game looks really rad and I really hope it gets funded despite all the trouble that comes with IndieGoGo. The fact is I backed a game, Cosmochoria, which had a full working alpha available at the time made in Construct 2. The dev was confident he'd be able to port it to Wii U, finally got a dev unit and decided it couldn't be done. You can read all about that here if you like.

If these guys are coding HTML5 from scratch I certainly feel better about the odds rather than going from C2 to the Nintendo Web Framework, but the fact is last time I backed a game supposedly headed to Wii U that was made in HTML5 and not Unity, it became a train wreck.

Dr. Buni

So I am playing the demo and it is really fun. I am glad the main character isn't Shizuka because she is kinda jerky and Lea is more likable, even though she doesn't speak (also, nice reasoning for the "silent main character" thing). The music is really good and the gameplay is solid (aiming takes some time to get used to). Again, I really hope this gets funded!

Oh and I hope the game have a lot of cool bosses like the one in the third gif in the original post.

Stefan from Radical Fish Games just reminded me of a video showing a working Wii U prototype. (Timestamp: 6 minutes 40 seconds)
The video is over a year old at this point, so yeah, for those people fearing for the quality of the Wii U version: You have been informed.

Reminder:
- Video is from a year ago
- They have a devkit
- They are a licensed developer
- They know their shit. Seriously, trust me.

So apparently the guys at Radical Fish Games thought they wouldn't reach their funding goal of 80,000€ in time they extended the fundraising campaign for another 30 days (which you apparently can do on Indiegogo), so now the campaign will last until April 26th for those of you who wanted to join in but couldn't before or you simply didn't see this campaign yet.
I will update the OP accordingly.

I will tell you once again that if the Wii U stretch goal is reached, the chance they will do a Wii U version is pretty close to 100%. I rechecked that with the guys at Radical Fish Games.
Just wanted to point that out since jholmes showed us just a few posts before that another game didn't keep the same promise.

Also they totally overhauled their campaign page, with a bit of new art and stuff.

VandalD

Kind of amazing this isn't doing better. I only managed to learn about this in checking the devblog for Secrets of Grindea. The browser demo for this plays and looks great. I hope they hit their goal.

Tizoc

15 EUR doesn't sound too bad a pledge, but I'll wait til it nears the end of its campaign and then pledge.

I like the look of this but I want to play it in the Wii U. So if I back it, I'll have to buy the Wii U version anyway? I think I'll just buy if and when it comes out.

I like the look of this but I want to play it in the Wii U. So if I back it, I'll have to buy the Wii U version anyway? I think I'll just buy if and when it comes out.

Yes, you most probably have to buy the Wii U version anyway.
Nintendo isn't TOO keen on the idea of giving out download codes to devs, I think? I may be wrong on that.

But still, your early support would help make CrossCode a reality instead of a possibility, you know.

Do it for this cute panda:
Just look at how it licks its fur. Isn't that adorable?!
April fools, that ain't no panda, that's a marshmallow!
My April Fools deed is done.

Top Bottom