• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crowbcat - Gears 5 lacks weight and intensity

Three

Taking 7 minutes to load after dying? I think your Xbox needs to go to the hospital.
It's a bug because it's trying to load data from online and it can result in data loss. You go offline and it doesn't happen. Xbox live is shitting the bed, not his xbox.

Shmunter

Regarding DF, I’ve been a little on the fence whether they are non partisan or indeed are potentially sponsored by some titles.

The game that made me question it is Black Ops 4. The analysis read the game was leaps and bounds, best ever engine, etc. but to my eyes it did not hold water. Then some other comparisons surfaced clearly showing a downgrade from Black Ops 3. Certainly was an eyebrow raising moment.

Edit: In saying this, DF analysis is done by people, prone to human mistakes and human bias e.g preference off certain styles, effects etc. With comparisons some things may be downgraded, some things may be better, not everything can be covered, and a game is a sum of its parts.

DarkX and the rest of DF crew does excellent work and personally I never miss an analysis. Keep it up and don’t sweat the critique, console wars brings out the emotion because people are so invested and lash out at anything that undermines their side.

Last edited:
It is weird console wars are still a thing, I mean... as a PC gamer I feel like XBOX already ceded that battle by letting me play everything on my PC. I just installed Gears 5 and am prepared to dip in on my PC Game Pass. I keep seeing these Uncharted 4 vs Gears 5 screens and seeing people discuss Gears 5 as "clearly" looking better but I don't really see it. Uncharted 4 the chars look more human but you could argue that's more artistic direction.

EDMIX

This game just has reaaaally bad lighting, standing under a lightbulb and the characters are super dark. I don't get why people praise this game, at least tech-wise.
DvYnqVg.jpg

yoooooo, how people dark, directly under some lights? FOR HOW? So something is going on here.

thelastword

Banned
Huh, that explains Gears 5 able to achieve 60fps.
Well it doesn't quite hit 60fps locked even......Lots of tearing and framerate drops in busier sections in the open hub...…...I wonder if DF will do a "the cost of 60fps video" on this one......….Would be kinda ironic though, but they did have such a video for Halo 5...…...

MayauMiao

Well it doesn't quite hit 60fps locked even......Lots of tearing and framerate drops in busier sections in the open hub...…...I wonder if DF will do a "the cost of 60fps video" on this one......….Would be kinda ironic though, but they did have such a video for Halo 5...…...

Well I hope they do such video now that they have full retail release.

Are you one of 16% people who disliked video, and who prefer Gow5 speedup animation and weightless feeling? Okay.
But, you try to restrict the right of people who don't want 60fps with much worse graphics.
a4NA0WC.jpg
You may want to practice your reading comprehension, the argument is that 60fps makes the game feel less heavy - this is demonstrably false, the animations need to be changed that's all.

As for better graphics, I prefer 60fps over better lighting, but they could have cut the resolution on the X and have offered more of both... Or done like other games do, offer a performance and a slideshow mode for people like you.

Anyways, you should learn how to read before entering into arguments like thise, you could also research and experiment on the matter... It would help your understanding.

nkarafo

z9Veu9y.jpg

5RtFtCU.jpg

Reflection in Gears vs Reflection in Control
Reminder that John called the reflection in Gears good looking
Silent Hill on the Wii has better mirror reflections than Gears 5.

Even Max Payne 2 on PC has better mirror reflections than Gears 5.

Those things in Gears 5 aren't even proper mirror reflections.

That's true. 60fps always feels like speedup of animations and lose of weight. Even more, motion blur loses his sharm at 60fps.

You prefer past-gen graphics with no AO and with almost all static geometry at 60fps. That is weird.
I'm really sorry you feel this way, but you are not comparing 1 to 1... otherwise PC gamers would have stopped upgrading their video cards 10 years ago to lock their frame rate at 30 FPS (why not 15 or 20, it would be grittier and remind us of Zelda Ocarina of Time), no when given a choice most gamers will sacrifice details and resolution to gain better frame rates.

I was one of the first to note the sacrifices they did to get to 60fps on the early screenshots and video - all the while our gaming press overlords were hyping the graphics as if they did not notice anything - but these same people also act as if the performance hit of ray tracing on current top of the line PC hardware is somehow worth it.

so look at this video coparing the last of us running at 60fps on the PS4 and ~30 on the PS3, I don't expect some kind of concession from you, but I get the feeling you are way above your head on this.

I feel sorry for gears fans now - and this is another blow to DF"s credibility

Last edited:

carsar

no when given a choice most gamers will sacrifice details and resolution to gain better frame rates.
That's is why PC gamers(with top hardware especially) are minority of gamers community. But they are active community and they try to impose their own stereotupes to majority of console gamers, who perfectly lived with geow 1,2,3,4 at 30fps.
so look at this video coparing the last of us running at 60fps
I've played TLOU at 60fps. And the only reason was pretty bad input lag at 30fps compared to ps3 version. I'm not only one person who's noticed that. But overall, I would prefer TLOU at 30fps with good vsync and input lag. With 60fps I've lost some cinematic feelings.
I've said before -60fps is not bad for me. I like to play GTS at stable(that very important. 60 should be PRETTY stable with 16-16-16-16-16-16ms, One 33 frame can broke experience and I don't know hardware which can handle pretty stable 60fps with no one stutter or 33ms frame)

MMaRsu

Banned
That's is why PC gamers(with top hardware especially) are minority of gamers community. But they are active community and they try to impose their own stereotupes to majority of console gamers, who perfectly lived with geow 1,2,3,4 at 30fps.

I uhh..what? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Tygeezy

Me and TLW been saying this all gen long, lol. I hope you guys finally wake up and not believe everything dark10x and DF says. What an embarrassment for a tech site.
They take objective measurements of resolution, framerate, frametime ect. How are they an embarrassment?

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
It's no surprise to me Darkx10 or whatever keeps sucking up to these giant corps, he desperately wants to be in the vidya game biz and has always wanted to

so if he talks about setting a new standard blablabla you know's it's some bs

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Go watch the video.
The burden of proof is on you to explain the evidence of your accusation, not me. I did watch the video and I do agree that it's disappointing that a lot of newer games have less interactivity with the environment. The melee attacks I disagree with. All i'm seeing is the camera shaking which is just distracting to me. Furthermore, how does a video from Crowbcat make digital foundry an embarrassment?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The burden of proof is on you to explain the evidence of your accusation, not me. I did watch the video and I do agree that it's disappointing that a lot of newer games have less interactivity with the environment. The melee attacks I disagree with. All i'm seeing is the camera shaking which is just distracting to me. Furthermore, how does a video from Crowbcat make digital foundry an embarrassment?

I think he is talking about this video. (It is worth it for the comedy aspect alone, lol.)

demigod

Goodjob watching the wrong video I quoted the person.

Tygeezy

Friendly tone, yeah right, who are you kidding. Your defense of DF failed.
I'm talking about you and your antagonistic combative tone over a misunderstanding. I thought you were talking about the crowbcat video that this entire thread is about.

thelastword

Banned
Silent Hill on the Wii has better mirror reflections than Gears 5.

Even Max Payne 2 on PC has better mirror reflections than Gears 5.

Those things in Gears 5 aren't even proper mirror reflections.
I raise you Duke Nukem, Doom, Hitman...……..

I'm running Gears at ultra, everything maxed, everything heals itself, except maybe the pots and icicles., which don't heal but rather disintegrate into thin air 'Poof". Hell, I think we should call this Gears 5: The magic Land......Disney should make a movie tbh, I'd go watch it...….Either everything heals or disappears, they could even add skittles, rainbows and unicorns to press the immersion of wonderland.........

I'm talking about you and your antagonistic combative tone over a misunderstanding. I thought you were talking about the crowbcat video that this entire thread is about.
I guess it's just a misunderstanding. I think you and Demi are allright…….The new video is quite insightful tbh....Be sure to give it a watch.....

NahaNago

I can't watch the video yet. Cliffnotes?

• you can't destroy a lot of things like security cameras, some windows, and etc in gears 5 but they showed windows being destroyed/shot left and right in gears 3
  • the a.i. is stupid and just sits their getting hit or runs to the bomb you throw in order to get killed
  • the water physics and lighting is worse than gears 3. The water movement in 5 doesn't ripple properly when you move and the lighting looks fake for the water
  • the way you receive damage in gears 3 looks more dramatically impactful but with gears 5 you act like you barely feel pain at all and just slightly twitch
  • Blood splatter disappears in gears 5 leaving only the body but in gears three it remains
  • It showed a lot of things being moved around or being shot/destroyed and disappearing in gears5 after a few seconds, but in gears 3 it just remains there
  • in gears 5 water automatically evaporates from you so you leave no wet footprints.
  • dg said it is 4k but they then said it is only 4k in certain areas.
  • dg says the character has light scattering around the ear but shows an ear without it.

I doubt I got all of it the video is like 20 minutes long.

In my opinion it looks like they cut a lot of corners to get to 60fps after watching the video.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
  • you can't destroy a lot of things like security cameras, some windows, and etc in gears 5 but they showed windows being destroyed/shot left and right in gears 3
  • the a.i. is stupid and just sits their getting hit or runs to the bomb you throw in order to get killed
  • the water physics and lighting is worse than gears 3. The water movement in 5 doesn't ripple properly when you move and the lighting looks fake for the water
  • the way you receive damage in gears 3 looks more dramatically impactful but with gears 5 you act like you barely feel pain at all and just slightly twitch
  • Blood splatter disappears in gears 5 leaving only the body but in gears three it remains
  • It showed a lot of things being moved around or being shot/destroyed and disappearing in gears5 after a few seconds, but in gears 3 it just remains there
  • in gears 5 water automatically evaporates from you so you leave no wet footprints.
  • dg said it is 4k but they then said it is only 4k in certain areas.
  • dg says the character has light scattering around the ear but shows an ear without it.

I doubt I got all of it the video is like 20 minutes long.

In my opinion it looks like they cut a lot of corners to get to 60fps after watching the video.
Taking everything as a whole i think its important to consider the largest difference between gears 3 and 5. Its the developer. Same thing happened with Halo. I'm not too quick to blame the differences on cutting corners so much as i am the fact that The Coalition is not Epic. Its more valid to compare gears 4 or ultimate to gears 5.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Taking everything as a whole i think its important the largest difference between gears 3 and 5. Its the developer. Same thing happened with halo. Im not too quick to blame the differences on cutting corners so much as i am the fact that the coalition is not Epic.

I can understand that for the way the game feels but a lot of this is just downgraded physics for the world.

Space_nut

You really gonna act like you countered the video without addressing the most important thing about it, the shitty animations and lack of gun feedback?

No need to counter a sh*tty video ;) I played both and know Gears 5 triumphs over it. Only sick delusional fanboys run to crowbat but thanks though

More praise for Gears 5 visuals

Top Bottom