• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Crowbcat] overpromise, sell, underdeliver Cyberpunk 2077

Fox Mulder

If he's back with another unfair and preposterous video to shit on a game he can go back into hiding.

His videos are funny but are in no way grounded in reality, he's cherry picking and misreporting statements for comedy.

using the developers own bullshit they spewed in interviews to compare with the final game is unfair?

Even ignoring the bugs and performance, there’s so much content missing just based on the shit they said themselves for years.

GeorgPrime

Banned
What they earned by sleazy marketing and preorders, they lost much more in reputation, consumer trust, stocks, and future investors.

They grew too big in a way too short time.

Like most big developers. They suffer from broken internal communication and way too big teams.

They can still deliver again with the next game. They should just focus like they did with Witcher 3

Last edited:

aries_71

i can't speak for others but i don't have any emotional involment with the company. i do like defending developers for the most part though because nobody gives a shit about them (and i work in a creative enviroment so i get them) and i just don't like unfair criticisms. cyberpunk is just the hot topic these days.

let me give you an example.

- saying that the random ai and the interactivity of the world is bad is a fair criticism. they suck. you are never going to see me say that those 2 things are great. why would i? they're awful.

- saying that those 2 things mean that the game sucks lol 5/10 gta 3 a 15 year old game is better it's not fair criticism.
cyberpunk is not a free roaming sandbox where the core gameplay is killing people and escaping from the police. it's a narrative driven game the same way the witcher 3 is a narrative driven game. you have 50+ hours of quests to do. play the game instead of shooting at people walking down the street and you'll probably enjoy it.

saying that cdpr said that the world was more interactive is fair criticism too. they did say that.
but they also said that the game was not gta and you have to play it as a story driven experience. still the world is more interactive than their previous game. witcher 3. which was clearly a mistake.
In some way I think you are tricking yourself. It's clear you have an emotional link to the company and the game, and you just don't go around defending any poor developer. I didn't recall your omnipresence during the Halo Infinity reveal, nor in any of the Watchdogs Legion or Ubisoft threads. And I think those developers worked as hard as the ones from CDPR and would also have benefitted from your defense.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not riticizing you, since I like your posts. Only wanted to point out that, maybe, just maybe, you are emotionally linked to this game more than you think.

(Disclaimer: I did enjoy my 70-90 hours with CP2077. Yes, somewhat, for me is 6-7/10; a deeply flawed game and, worst of all, a lost opportunity)

mrmeh

I'm enjoying it, not as good as what it could have been.. maybe will be better in the future...

I don't think the dev team will have intentionally lied, rather aimed high and then had to ship the game 2 years early... didn't update the marketing briefing. Like all the biggest fuck up's project management failure.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Internet does what internet often does over hype things yes bugs and glitches, large downloads are crushing blows but I don’t know if they knocks Cyberpunk out of game of the year contention.

Puncheur

Amazing video! It had me in stitches. Those red pre-fab placeholders are a disgrace. What a way to trash a company's reputation.
All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't get stung buying the £250 'collectors' edition... I was so close. Played maybe an hour of it on PS5 and haven't touched it since cause it was so rough and completely unoptimised for consoles, the UI is a mess.
Will wait until 2022 before I try it again.
Learnt my lesson.

Umbasaborne

Banned
They definitely screwed the pooch thats for sure. I refunded my game on series x after hearing that the next gen versions wont be ready until
This fall. Put thirty hours into it, and the ambition is definitely there, but i want to beat it when its actually optimized for next gen consoles and it looks the best it can be.

It's wild that people are still this defensive about the game. The game is fucked, get over it. Let's all wait a year or so for the finished game to release after another dozen or so patches. It's over, just accept it.
It's okay, you're clearly not familiar with Mayo's content, I'll forgive you.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's wild that people are still this defensive about the game. The game is fucked, get over it. Let's all wait a year or so for the finished game to release after another dozen or so patches. It's over, just accept it.
Even worse, it's a sliding slope as the worst versions (never promoted) are on base consoles which there's 150M+ of them.

Are the next gen console versions better? Totally. And right now over two months, maybe only 5M Series X and PS5 have sold.

But it's ok since PS5 and Series X are decent!

harmny

Banned
In some way I think you are tricking yourself. It's clear you have an emotional link to the company and the game, and you just don't go around defending any poor developer. I didn't recall your omnipresence during the Halo Infinity reveal, nor in any of the Watchdogs Legion or Ubisoft threads. And I think those developers worked as hard as the ones from CDPR and would also have benefitted from your defense.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not riticizing you, since I like your posts. Only wanted to point out that, maybe, just maybe, you are emotionally linked to this game more than you think.

(Disclaimer: I did enjoy my 70-90 hours with CP2077. Yes, somewhat, for me is 6-7/10; a deeply flawed game and, worst of all, a lost opportunity)

i'm fairly new to the forum. i wasn't there for the halo infinity reveal and i am not seeing (not even close) the same level of scrutiny and unfair hate on ubisoft threads. i would defend anyone if i see something unfair that i don't like.
of course i like to reward cdpr as a company because they are a consumer friendly company at least for now. they are good for the gaming industry so if you mean that i defend cyberpunk because i like cdpr as a developer and the game then for sure that's true. what i meant is that i don't have any pathological condition. and i am not blind fanboy either.
i just like to help people think about the other side too and think about being fair with their criticisms. especially with the mob mentality we see these days where people just like to follow the trend without thinking too much and it can be harmful.
you wouldn't see me commenting or defending the game so much if i wasn't seeing so much unwarranted hate for it.

Even worse, it's a sliding slope as the worst versions (never promoted) are on base consoles which there's 150M+ of them.

Are the next gen console versions better? Totally. And right now over two months, maybe only 5M Series X and PS5 have sold.

But it's ok since PS5 and Series X are decent!

"Decent" is a terrible metric to be proud of haha. Decent in the sense that it isn't crashing every 20 minutes, doesn't have the weird grsphical loading issues etc, sure yeah. But the game is still fundamentally flawed. The game feels 70% complete. Playing it in bc isn't going to fix that!

i'm fairly new to the forum. i wasn't there for the halo infinity reveal and i am not seeing (not even close) the same level of scrutiny and unfair hate on ubisoft threads. i would defend anyone if i see something unfair that i don't like.
of course i like to reward cdpr as a company because they are a consumer friendly company at least for now. they are good for the gaming industry so if you mean that i defend cyberpunk because i like cdpr as a developer and the game then for sure that's true. what i meant is that i don't have any pathological condition. and i am not blind fanboy either.
i just like to help people think about the other side too and think about being fair with their criticisms. especially with the mob mentality we see these days where people just like to follow the trend without thinking too much and it can be harmful.
you wouldn't see me commenting or defending the game so much if i wasn't seeing so much unwarranted hate for it.

The mob mentality is definitely something but the hate is warranted. The main criticism I would have is that the hate reaches hyperbolic autist levels which is just cringe worthy. But the core criticisms with the game are 100% warranted.

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's possible to hold more than one thought in a head at approx. the same time, it's not that controversial if you're not emotionally invested:

I've played this game for 100 hours, I've enjoyed the fuck out of it. I STILL think it should've been delayed for up to a year (YES; A YEAR). I've now shelved it, and I look forward to play the finished game with a 3080 (or 4080, we'll see..).

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
Consumer friendly? Good for the industry?

oh sure compared to other AAA companies. you are looking at a company that released a AAA drm free single player game with a huge production value and no mtx. a company that offered refunds no questions asked to everyone including people that finished the game. a company that is planning to fix the game for free. a company that is giving you free next gen upgrades for cyberpunk and the witcher 3. sure cp launch was horrible on consoles and the game is buggy. that doesn't mean cdpr has become a bad company. context is important.

The mob mentality is definitely something but the hate is warranted. The main criticism I would have is that the hate reaches hyperbolic autist levels which is just cringe worthy. But the core criticisms with the game are 100% warranted.

well depending on what you mean by hate. i think i'm referring to the hyperbolic hate like you said. some criticisms are fair. others are unfair.

oh sure compared to other AAA companies. you are looking at a company that released a AAA drm free single player game with a huge production value and no mtx.
You're forgetting the bit where they rushed the game out of the door despite knowing full well it was an unfinished turd and actively tried to decieve customers, leveraging the goodwill they had accrued.

a company that offered refunds no questions asked to everyone including people that finished the game.
You're forgetting the bit where they "forgot" to okay that with Sony and Microsoft (probably Valve too) first, leading to people complaining about their refunds being denied.

a company that is planning to fix the game for free.
As opposed to what? Charging to fix a game that they never should've released in that state in the first place? You don't get bonus points for fixing your game post-launch.

a company that is giving you free next gen upgrades for cyberpunk and the witcher 3.
Frankly that's the least they could do after what they did.

This kind of shit is why we call you fanboys.

harmny

Banned
You're forgetting the bit where they rushed the game out of the door despite knowing full well it was an unfinished turd and actively tried to decieve customers, leveraging the goodwill they had accrued.

You're forgetting the bit where they "forgot" to okay that with Sony and Microsoft (probably Valve too) first, leading to people complaining about their refunds being denied.

As opposed to what? Charging to fix a game that they never should've released in that state in the first place? You don't get bonus points for fixing your game post-launch.

Frankly that's the least they could do after what they did.

This kind of shit is why we call you fanboys.

i'm not forgetting any of that. again. context. compare it to other AAA Companies.

fallout 76 and Anthem were unfinished turds. no refunds, they weren't drm free and they had mtx. or look at AC odyssey a single player game that level caps the main quest so you can spend money on xp boosts to level up. or where they sell you legendary weapons as mtx. isn't that worse than releasing a buggy game for the industry?

yeah people complained that they couldn't get a refund when cdpr announced it. and then they got it after a while. and some people in the meantime because the process was taking some time finished the game AND then got a refund. is that horrible?

indeed as opposed to charging you for a fix included in a dlc. or in the case of anthem. as opposed to not fixing the game at all.

the free next gen upgrades were announced before the launch of the game. not after.

that is not the least they could do. the least they could do is what everyone else does. act like everything is fine and move on to their next game. it works for Ubisoft. it works for EA. it works for Bethesda.

Last edited:
i'm not forgetting any of that. again. context. compare it to other AAA Companies.

fallout 76 and Anthem were unfinished turds. no refunds, they weren't drm free and they had mtx.

indeed as opposed to charging you for a fix included in a dlc. or in the case of anthem. as opposed to not fixing the game at all.

the free next gen upgrades where announced before the launch of the game. not after.

that is not the least they could do. the least they could do is what everyone else does. act like everything is fine and move on to their next game. it works for Ubisoft. it works for EA. it works for Bethesda.
Fallout 76 is the only title you either mentioned directly or was made by one of the companies you mentioned that was even remotely comparable in terms of how broken it was. Regardless being marginally less of a shithead than the other industry turds doesn't make you not a shithead. CDP deserves all the flak they're getting right now. Fuck 'em. I hope for their sake this the last time they do this.

Griffon

Yup the game has bugs. Not nearly Skyrim level of bugginess, but ymmv.

With that said, I love that game. Played on PC and loved every minute of it.

Pains me to see the mob going hard at it, targeting low-hanging fruits, mostly side issues that don't really affect the main gameplay loop.
The hate boner goes a little too far imo.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
Fallout 76 is the only title you either mentioned directly or was made by one of the companies you mentioned that was even remotely comparable in terms of how broken it was. Regardless being marginally less of a shithead than the other industry turds doesn't make you not a shithead. CDP deserves all the flak they're getting right now. Fuck 'em. I hope for their sake this the last time they do this.

well people like you is why i say that cdpr may just become another "soulless corporation" or "industry turd". you are saying it yourself. being marginally better than everyone else doesn't make you good. which also means that you can be piece of shit and it would be the same thing. which also means that no matter what you say or do when you make a mistake it's never going to be enough.

so why bother? just act like everything is fine. don't fix the game. and release in february a teaser for the witcher 4 and everyone will be back on the hype train. it worked for bethesda releasing that TESVI teaser after that horrendous fallout 76 launch. it worked for EA and Bioware with Anthem. they release a trailer for mass effect and the hype is back even though their last 2 releases anthem and andromeda were hated by everyone.

and before i've got a comment saying "CDPR IS JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. WAKE UP. THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT PROFIT" tell me what other AAA developer releases their game without drm. i can literally copy cyberpunk on a thumbdrive and my friend can play the game for free on their pc. if anything other companies are embracing denuvo more and more so their game can't be pirated for a while. tell me what other company gives you a refund for a game you already completed. no. cdpr is not like other companies. at least not yet. but they may become like one especially after this launch. let's see what happens. they do care about money though. of course.

Last edited:

OnionSnake

Banned
oh sure compared to other AAA companies. you are looking at a company that released a AAA drm free single player game with a huge production value and no mtx. a company that offered refunds no questions asked to everyone including people that finished the game. a company that is planning to fix the game for free. a company that is giving you free next gen upgrades for cyberpunk and the witcher 3. sure cp launch was horrible on consoles and the game is buggy. that doesn't mean cdpr has become a bad company. context is important.
The game is not perfect on PC either... you listed things we expect of companies normally such as fixing bugs for free and next gen upgrades... they burnt their bridges with Sony and MS with that refund scheme forcing their hands after the BAD marketing campaigns. Hell even praising them for a AAA drm free single player game with "huge production value" and no mtx seems weird given how low production value the game looks...

I dunno man, like the other guy said you seem to have latched onto this company in a strange way. Their methods of development are VERY bad for the industry, that crunch sounds like a fucking nightmare, and their PR methods are extremely toxic for the industry. Don't think anyone can honestly say CDPR is a "good" company in this industry, even their subsidiary GOG lost that claim after removing Devotion from the service with this BS excuse:

Self

I've played this game for 100 hours, I've enjoyed the fuck out of it. I STILL think it should've been delayed for up to a year (YES; A YEAR).

This. The game is fine as it is and I'm having fun with it, but the denial of the fanbase is unbelievable. I've never seen something like that, honestly.

No mans sky, Sea of Thieves, XCom2 were broken shit when they released, but the devs managed to fix it and cyberpunk will be fixed as well. But the point is: Cyberpunk will never, ever be the game CDPR promised. They talked of their asses and should be made responsible for it.

which also means that no matter what you say or do when you make a mistake it's never going to be enough.
It takes years to build goodwill and trust. It takes 5 minutes to burn it. CDP can rebuild that trust but it won't be with CP77, it'll be another 5-10 years before they get back to where they were. They don't get to actively deceive their customers to gain pre-orders and then have me just forget about it 6 months later because "everything is fine now, they fixed it!".

OnionSnake

Banned
It takes years to build goodwill and trust. It takes 5 minutes to burn it. CDP can rebuild that trust but it won't be with CP77, it'll be another 5-10 years before they get back to where they were. They don't get to actively deceive their customers to gain pre-orders and then have me just forget about it 6 months later because "everything is fine now, they fixed it!".
Yeah, Witcher III to me was a very overhyped eurojank RPG. But the company seemed decent especially with GOG as well. But they're both dead to me at this point, completely lying to customers even up to release with BS like

Kaciński said that Cyberpunk 2077's performance on the base PS4 and Xbox One consoles is "surprisingly good, I would say, for such a huge world." The CEO went on to say that although the performance on these base consoles is lower than their "pro" counterparts (the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X), it's still surprisingly good.

"So, we believe that the game is performing great on every platform. Of course, accordingly to platform capabilities, but not every platform should be great."

Like we don't forgive EA for this type of BS why would we forgive CDPR. Shits irritating

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, Witcher III to me was a very overhyped eurojank RPG. But the company seemed decent especially with GOG as well. But they're both dead to me at this point, completely lying to customers even up to release with BS like

Like we don't forgive EA for this type of BS why would we forgive CDPR. Shits irritating
LOL. Two weeks before releases and this CDPR guys has the gall to say this. What an asstard.

Anything to make a sale.

harmny

Banned

The question is why should they build back that trust and Goodwill?
Being seen as the good guy is overrated. Too much work for very little benefit.

GamesAreFun

Banned
LMAAAO, that ending..

The more I see these kind of videos, the more I'm convinced they chopped off the entire world, mechanics, AI, and features in order to make the game run on consoles; but they still undelivered on almost all fronts due to the lack of time, clearly.

If they had decided to cancel the console versions all along, back then when they were just still under production, and had made it exclusive for just PC platforms till the new consoles had settled right into the generation; I feel we'd have gotten a completely different game by now, worthy of the hype that's been built since the 2012 reveal.

I don't think the consoles are to blame; CDPR were wildly ambitious and unrealistic about their ability to create multiple gameplay systems of which they had zero experience. The GTA games on PS2 had superior AI and mechanics on a 300MHz CPU.

Hugare

"very little benefit"? yeah, right

Part of those 8M preorders and CDPR's worth in the trade market was due to their "good guy" reputation with customers.

There are people on the internet deffending them like crazy in ways that no one would ever do for EA or Ubisoft solely due to their "good guys" reputation

So you can bet your ass that they will try to get their reputation back on track

Would like to remind you again that they are a public traded company

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
CB2077 is a better game than RDR2.
That Hurts GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

You're probably right, but damn. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

harmny

Banned
"very little benefit"? yeah, right

Part of those 8M preorders and CDPR's worth in the trade market was due to their "good guy" reputation with customers.

There are people on the internet deffending them like crazy in ways that no one would ever do for EA or Ubisoft solely due to their "good guys" reputation

So you can bet your ass that they will try to get their reputation back on track

Would like to remind you again that they are a public traded company
the thing is now they have lost that reputation. getting that reputation back is much harder.

let me give an example

6 months ago
CDPR: we are going to offer free next gen upgrades for both cyberpunk and wicher 3
gamers: woooo we love you cdpr the witcher 3 is the best!

now
CDPR: we are going to offer free next gen upgrades for both cyberpunk and wicher 3
gamers: fuck you cdpr that's the least you can do after that horrible launch.

6 months ago
CDPR: we are gonna give you free dlc for the game
gamers: we love you cdpr great! you are the best

now
gamers: you mean including things that should have been in the game in the first place? fuck you cdpr.

being the good guy is great when people love you. but trying to convince them that you are the good guy again? good luck with that.

if being nice was so profitable gamers would love every AAA company instead of hating most of them.
Activision is publicly traded - vocal gamers hate that company
EA is publicly traded - vocal gamers hate that company
Ubisoft is publicly traded - vocal gamers hate that company

but it doesn't matter because they make good games. so people buy them.

being the good guy is great when people love you. but trying to convince them that you are the good guy again? good luck with that.
It's almost as if...maybe if they wanted to be the good guys they should have tried living up to that. It's not impossible though...there was a short period about 10 years ago where even big evil EA had managed to build up a little goodwill with Dead Space...then they promptly pissed it all down the drain by shoehorning MTX into Dead Space 3 and killing off Visceral, showing that they really hadn't learnt anything, even if it might've appeared they had for a couple of years.

harmny

Banned
It's almost as if...maybe if they wanted to be the good guys they should have tried living up to that. It's not impossible though...there was a short period about 10 years ago where even big evil EA had managed to build up a little goodwill with Dead Space...then they promptly pissed it all down the drain by shoehorning MTX into Dead Space 3 and killing off Visceral, showing that they really hadn't learnt anything, even if it might've appeared they had for a couple of years.

they are still trying to live up to that. that's why they are doing what they are doing. it's not impossible. it's just very hard. let's see if they stop giving a fuck. it would be easier and more profitable for sure.

they are still trying to live up to that. that's why they are doing what they are doing. it's not impossible. it's just very hard. let's see if they stop giving a fuck. it would be easier and more profitable for sure.
No, they're trying to salvage what little of their reputation they can. There's a difference. If they truly cared about living up to the reputation instead of just having the reputation then they never would've released Cyberpunk in the state they did in the first place. They thought that people would eat it up anyway, that they could release whatever they wanted, fix it later, and people would be happy with whatever turd they shat out. They are victims of their own hubris.

Very little benefit? Have you seen The Witcher 3's sales number, or Cyberpunk 207's sales numbers for that matter? People were willing to pre-order and purchase their games in the millions because of the trust CD Projekt had built. I doubt they'll ever see pre-order numbers of this magnitude again, even if they do fix their broken game over the course of the year.

Hugare

the thing is now they have lost that reputation. getting that reputation back is much harder.

let me give an example

6 months ago
gamers: woooo we love you cdpr the witcher 3 is the best!

now
gamers: fuck you cdpr that's the least you can do after that horrible launch.

6 months ago
gamers: we love you cdpr great! you are the best

now
gamers: you mean including things that should have been in the game in the first place? fuck you cdpr.

if being nice was so profitable gamers would love every AAA company instead of hating most of them.
Activision is publicly traded - vocal gamers hate that company
EA is publicly traded - vocal gamers hate that company
Ubisoft is publicly traded - vocal gamers hate that company

but it doesn't matter because they make good games. so people buy them.
My point is: they will try. Count on it.

Never in this industry a company had this much rep of being "pro customer".

EA, Ubi, Activision never even came close to CDPR's reputation, so they never tried to regain some rep that was lost with Anthem or whatever

But CDPR wont give up just of this failure. Hello Games showed that comebacks are possible if they put their heart into it.

One terrible launch wont be enough to completely destroy their rep

Top Bottom