• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cruncheons 21: The Future is NOW (or later)

http://cruncheons.podbean.com/mf/web/bpr3ty/Cruncheons21.mp3

Segment One: Someday We'll Look Back On All This And Cry

Doug, Robert, and Kevin take a look at THE FUTURE! as presented in video games, from space imperialism to apocalyptic wastelands, and all possible futures in between.

Segment Two: The Playlist (54:10)

LittleBigPlanet PSP
Duke Nukem Forever
Alice The Madness Returns
Dungeon Siege III
Dynasty Warriors Gundam III
Civilization IV and V

Oddly I keep finding myself playing Civ 5 despite it being worse than Civ 4. I think I just needed a break from 4 for a bit.

Also, I remember the first time playing SMAC and having to choose between techs like "Sentient Econometrics" and "Matter Editation" and-kind of getting an idea of what that means based on the terms used-knew that this was the game for me.

Alex

I'll have to listen to it in pieces over the next few days.

Good little bit on Halo so far, I liked the first one way back when and that really put it into perspective why the myself and the folks who enjoyed it around me all seemed to stop caring pretty fast.

Speaking of E-readers, you guys did a book bit awhile back where you mentioned this oddball series about some modern town getting thrown back in time, what was the title of that stuff again? I have a thing for concepts like that and I need some books for travel soon.

Chozo

I keep forgetting to ask this, but since there's a relevant game being discussed in this podcast:

I've been interested in the idea of musou games ever since I played one of the early Dynasty Warriors games on a classmate's PS2, but never really got into the games. Is there a "definitive" musou game to start with, or is Dynasty Warriors 7 as good a starting point as any?

GhaleonQ

I can imagine them being pleased with 1/2 or more of their game list! WILL WONDERS NEVER CEASE? (New episode, yeah!)

Rufus

The Library was 'meh' because it was the same room over and over with different enemy spawns. Interesting alien architecture (was that it?) my ass.

Other than that-...wahooo~!

Chozo said:
I keep forgetting to ask this, but since there's a relevant game being discussed in this podcast:

I've been interested in the idea of musou games ever since I played one of the early Dynasty Warriors games on a classmate's PS2, but never really got into the games. Is there a "definitive" musou game to start with, or is Dynasty Warriors 7 as good a starting point as any?

dw7 is a great one to start with, since it tells the story the best. in fact, it's pretty comprehensive -- you can skip all the others, excluding maybe dw5: empires.

dynasty warriors 7
samurai warriors 3
dynasty warriors gundam 3

are probably the best the series has to offer. if any of them get a good empires entry, you won't need to revisit older games save maybe the orochi titles which are really shallow but terribly amusing (and content heavy!) nonetheless

Rufus said:
The Library was 'meh' because it was the same room over and over with different enemy spawns. Interesting alien architecture (was that it?) my ass.

Other than that-...wahooo~!

yeah, but that repetition worked for me, at least -- it felt disorienting and (hur) alienating, contributing to that eerie sense of isolation and anxiety, at least in the greater context of the rest of the locales in the game. i ain't sayin' that's a universal sentiment (obviously), but i liked it.

Pikelet

I also liked the Halo discussion, the part about setting the sequels more and more on Earth reminds me of what they are doing with Mass Effect 3. There are so many shooters set on Earth already, why should i be excited that i get to go there again? It's bullshit

DaBuddaDa

Pikelet said:
I also liked the Halo discussion, the part about setting the sequels more and more on Earth reminds me of what they are doing with Mass Effect 3. There are so many shooters set on Earth already, why should i be excited that i get to go there again? It's bullshit
I thought the same thing, then I watched the gameplay videos. It's "Earth" in name only really, the visual design is fantastic and not overly "familiar."

Pikelet said:

Being on Earth is fine, as long as you're doing something interesting with the architecture. I haven't seen the Earth screenshots but not all of the game is on Earth-my understanding was that it was spread out again as before (maybe I'm wrong there).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Will check out Gundam 3.

As a fellow resident Musou fan, I couldn't get into the first Gundam game due to it's skimpy battle scenario variety and near lack of persistent upgrade progression or loot when it came to switching to different characters/mechs. Gundam 3 sounds like it somewhat rectifies that stuff.

I mostly just need to grab Sam Warriors 3, but Wii and all. Thing has been in storage for 12 months now, kinda hoped to just keep it there.

Also Library was one of my personal highlights in Halo 1. Fantastic in co-op.

GhaleonQ

This was 1 of my 2 or 3 favorite episodes, honestly. The show's generally, um, in a heightened state of reality (facetious), but the arguments in the 1st half seemed sincere. They were also all well-argued. The last half delivered, too.

I won't make a long list of futuristic science-fiction or post-apocalyptic video games, but I'm obligated to note Lovedelic's L.O.L.: Lack Of Love. It's thematically airtight, innovative, and has brilliant aesthetics (the famous Yellow Magic Orchestra's most prominent member did the soundtrack). Check my SketchesOfMoondays account and Hardcore Gaming 101. It also has 3 lines of Japanese text in the whole thing, so you lose nothing.

with all the alien world talk, have any of you checked out Precursors? it's that Russian fps/rpg released on gamersgate a while back. I haven't personally played it yet but in the official thread, it seemed to be getting praised for that very reason.

What is cross over between JRPG fans and people complaining about how misogynistic Duke Nukem is?

Sure it was an interesting conversation but you spend 20 minutes calling out what, 3 people? It seems like you guys get message board tunnel vision where you see the one idiot with an anime avatar making dumb statements and can't see the other 49 people making good points about Duke.

That said I haven't been following the game so maybe I'm wrong. Either way I know what tsunadere means now! I'm one step closer to actually understanding that language spoken in the anime off topic thread

I loved the setting in Septerra Core. It took place on a planet with "layers" so you could walk around and see land masses floating above or below you. I also liked how the setting was used in the story, shaping the different factions and enviroments. I want to replay it one days since I've forgotten pretty much everything else about it

Also, please no more John Edwards eating Robert's balls. I couldn't finish my dinner when listening to that...

GhaleonQ

HamPster PamPster said:
What is cross over between JRPG fans and people complaining about how misogynistic Duke Nukem is?

Sure it was an interesting conversation but you spend 20 minutes calling out what, 3 people? It seems like you guys get message board tunnel vision where you see the one idiot with an anime avatar making dumb statements and can't see the other 49 people making good points about Duke.

I think they were going more for a, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander," thing. People criticize Western crassness while ignoring subservient (not attributable to country differences) characters in Eastern ones. Eastern storytelling cliches get criticized while Western ones get the game CREDIT as "cinematic." Et cetera. They just wanted consistency.

I think that I have that right.

I should have mentioned Anachronox in the sci-fi section. Consider it added as it had a very unique hub world and some very snappy sci-fi comedy at times.

Gattsu25

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
I think they were going more for a, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander," thing. People criticize Western crassness while ignoring subservient (not attributable to country differences) characters in Eastern ones. Eastern storytelling cliches get criticized while Western ones get the game CREDIT as "cinematic." Et cetera. They just wanted consistency.

I think that I have that right.
Yeah, that's how I interpreted it, as well.

bengraven

Went back and listened to some of the old podcasts for book recommendations.

I rarely agree with Doug's taste in anything, but I always agree with the book suggestions. I just finished Horns, so I wanted to hear his take as well.

Do more book shit!

We were gonna record a new show tonight, but Pamela Call Recorder for Skype no longer works (I'm guessing it is some sort of incompatibility with a Skype update or something). We tried the Pretty May trial, but it did not save the 30 minutes we recorded to file :( If anyone has any Skype audio recording program suggestions let us know!

No one is going to offer a suggestion for the the skype problem? Unhelpful gaf making my podcasts late!

Drinky Crow said:
i'm not done with zeruda yet, since i hafta "borrow" my brat's 3ds while she's asleep

I thought you bought two of them? Sold one already? Sheesh that was fast!

GhaleonQ

HamPster PamPster said:
No one is going to offer a suggestion for the the skype problem? Unhelpful gaf making my podcasts late!

Join me on the "part of the problem" side of the divide! It is glorious.

bengraven

I'm not tech savvy or I'd help. I'm mainly helping by bumping this so someone with intelligence can apply their skills.

Limedust

I'm perfectly fine with the sound quality for my FREE PODCAST! I CAN'T READ!

I would request more of Doug impersonating fanboys with his 'Keanu Reeves' voice from episode 20.

Riposte

Great episode. Really liked the introduction lol.

EDIT: Also happy someone feels the same way about Halo 1's campaign as I do(and articulated it in a way I haven't been able to before). People are too quick to dismiss it as STOOPID.

GhaleonQ

HamPster PamPster said:
They must be busy setting up the Cruncheons Ambassadors program. 10 free podcasts if you listen before August 11th!

In July, there have been more good 3DS games released in Japan than The Cruncheons podcasts in the U.S. Iwata is shaming them.

Sorry, everyone. Apologies for leaving you all hanging. I didn't want to say anything until I knew for sure, but it looks like we're not gonna have a new episode until mid-September. Not because of the tech issues, I think I have everything there in order now. This is all real world work-related stuff, one of us is having to pull some crazy overtime hours for the next month and will be unavailable. This is just a hiatus, we will be back! Thanks so much for listening and caring!

Time for the Minicast part 2!!

Kevin on the Clip Show said:
I have a folder called "chatter" which is all the stuff we talk about on the break and stuff like that and I save it in the event we can't record for like a month I can go through there and stitch stuff together for an emergency episode

Top Bottom