• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cruncheons 32: Ouya, Steam, Gungnir, Endless Space, Walking Dead, Cthulhu

http://cruncheons.podbean.com/mf/web/zqyr8/Cruncheons32.mp3

Doug's in a dream state, Arian's on the Steam train, Kevin's feeling first world guilt, and Robert's calling in from a radio station circa 1937 in our 32nd episode!

The Ouya console, and The Cruncheons Kickstarter

(54:04) The Steam Summer Sale

(1:14:00) Gungnir and Unchained Blades

(1:23:30) Endless Space

(1:33:45) Walking Dead

(1:35:30) Cthulhu Saves the World

We'll talk to you again soon!

GhaleonQ

Doug should do another book recommending section.

Seriously, if August doesn't deliver on their summer reading, I will...continue to listen and post about this politely and regularly.

I know the podcast isn't much for nostalgia, but I wouldn't mind hearing everyone play, I don't know, a bunch of old beat-'em-ups if it will get us an August podcast.

*downloads*

Rufus

Speaking of reading. I've recently read the Thomas Covenant trilogy, and man, I'm still not sure how to feel about it. OK, fairly unique fantasy, I guess, but the rape and its aftermath... That caught me by surprise, everything about it.

Alex

thanks for this. good timing for me!

and yes for a book section, i need to get a new kindle soon.

I was going to complain that Final Fantasy Tactics does not have horrific interface issues... but then I remembered I played the second battle over at least 6 times because I didn't know you could use more than just Ramza. You win this round Cruncheons

Good episode, the ug~ouya~~ talk dragged on a little too long. Its fun diving into the psychology of supporters but I think it just boils down to some people have too much money.

Summer reading or bust next episode

Frag, what was the name of that iOS Turn based strategy game site you mentioned (last podcast?).
Just got an iPad and wouldn't mind giving it a peek.

Cheers.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
On nostalgia, I've got younger cousins on my FB and I've seen them wax nostalgic over shit like Oh So Raven (That's so Raven?) and shit. Why is this happeninnnnng.

Alex

Wait, people are really wanting this ouya thing for a small fork of android games....?Why? I just assumed it was a glorified media center box. When Frag equated it to the original Xbox in its diced up form I got that but reading around it really isnt that much of the picture.

if you want to cry about the bygone days, get a low profile HTPC, put Steam on it and load it down with shit like Renegade Ops, Ys, Trine 2, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, etc, etc. get a chatpad and drivers or wait for big picture mode and you dont even really need the mouse and keyboard. There are great heaping tons of games like this so not only do those types of titles still exist, but are usually better than most of the ancient franchises and arcade games people gush over.

I dont get it at all, this was a weird phenomena before now its even weirder. There are like huge sects of awkward people who seemingly just refuse to budge out of some bricked in world theyve built for themselves.

remnant

Banned
so it an all an act like GB? Well it's not very funny and if the point is to take an assholish POV into everything happening in gaming...I don't know. Not very novel idea.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The real twist though, is that it's not an act; THEY'RE REAL ASSHOLES IRL <3

so it an all an act like GB?

q4LSa.gif

Alex

I think we're generally pretty even-handed in our criticisms.

In general you guys do really well on covering subjects with an actual basis of reality and skepticism, especially on things that need it, as opposed to the constant fellating some people are used to.

Between the depth of that and the actually interesting content spread, id say its my favorite podcast as well.

Not sure how it makes you assholes though. I guess if someones toy got picked on and they couldnt cope with it.

remnant

Banned
Is this Ouya salt?

I don't like Ouya but yeah i would consider that one of the parts I found really boring and kind of stupid. I don't think people are buying ouya's to play emulators, yet i put up with three douches going on a 20 min rant about their generation enjoying old school games. It just seemed petty and not intriguing when you actually think about what is interesting in the fact that more and more consumers are willing to ignore conventional wisdom if if means they can play different types of games. That's never really happened in games before.

Just because you are negative and cynical doesn't make you interesting. This podcast was proof.

I don't like Ouya but yeah i would consider that one of the parts I found really boring and kind of stupid. I don't think people are buying ouya's to play emulators, yet i put up with three douches going on a 20 min rant about their generation enjoying old school games. It just seemed petty and not intriguing when you actually think about what is interesting in the fact that more and more consumers are willing to ignore conventional wisdom if if means they can play different types of games. That's never really happened in games before.

Just because you are negative and cynical doesn't make you interesting. This podcast was proof.

Hey now, we got an Ouguuuu~ya out of it.

Okay, see ya later, then! Have a nice day!

Alex

I very much liked the discussion of the hardware, psychology and intention behind it. Yeah, it was laced with plenty of cynicism and backhanded comments but when you're talking about the shit you usually talk about in a gaming discussion it's usually well at home and humorous. Take your hobby less seriously.

Also, it's something that's very worth being cynical over. It's a cheap forked cellphone in a tacky box, and their mock ups seem fairly dubious as well.

It isn't going to get anything original, at best it'll wind up as a new media center box so celebrating diversity and like it's some sort of revelation when the kind of shit people want out of it has existed in far better methods and models doesn't make lot of sense.

Frag, what was the name of that iOS Turn based strategy game site you mentioned (last podcast?).
Just got an iPad and wouldn't mind giving it a peek.

Cheers.

Pocket Tactics , run by Owen Faraday.

http://www.pockettactics.com/

Literally the only iOS game blog you need. If there is something so good that it's worth mentioning outside the strategy space, he'll bring it up. Owen's writing is (as we mention) superb.

Regarding the Ouya-I think I made it pretty clear at times that there is demand for a vertical gaming appliance offering offbeat games from independent developers, due to the way that the space is poorly managed by the downloadable areas of the big three console hardware vendors. If there is one thing that everyone should have learned in tech by now is that most people vastly prefer focused devices doing narrow things very well over general purpose devices that are mediocre at some things and merely good at others.

However, Ouya isn't that device. Their business plan is undeveloped and questionable. Their product and engineering goals are barely more than simple prototypes. All the Hard Shit(tm) about designing this kind of system-namely the software, human computer interaction testing, and the network service implementation-are basically answered by "We'll use Android!" despite that not being any kind of substantive answer to base a business model on. Not the least of which is that the mobile games market-which is going to play a critical role in Ouya having anything to play on it- is moving away from the exact kind of business model and experiences that the device wants to deliver.

Starting a new business is very hard, and very expensive. I think the Ouya team went ahead with crowdsourcing funding too early before they had their proposed product realized, and I believe their goals are too ambitious, not to mention apparently constantly growing as they get more and more preorders.

Ideally the solution to this would be some kind of firmware upgradable Windows 7/8 core with a steam-based front end and store that lists games that pass some kind of crowd and developer based certification for games from the bigger store on the device. Unfortunately Microsoft isn't in the business of having access to their Win32 API sets as a a "dumb pipe" provider, so the closest you can get to that is something that people build themselves out of a general purpose machine, which totally misses the point of a vertical device completely.

you mean: like on their pc?

there's cynicism, and then there's justified cynicism.

GhaleonQ

Obviously, people can like what they like, but listen to the content of the criticisms rather than the tone. No podcast has better gameplay discussion. Few podcasts have better argumentation. (Granted, this argumentation tends to be 1-sided and often contrarian, but they make no claim to be the "podcast of record." They're challenging assumptions. THEY'RE REBELS, REMNANT. Frankly, those that are trying to do broad coverage in 1 hour these days are failing, anyway.)

i am an asshole. :-(

But this proves you all are self-aware and, thus, slightly ironic. This is why you get the retweets and the Tumblr posts. ...I'm assuming this happens.

Regarding the Ouya-I think I made it pretty clear at times that there is demand for a vertical gaming appliance offering offbeat games from independent developers, due to the way that the space is poorly managed by the downloadable areas of the big three console hardware vendors. If there is one thing that everyone should have learned in tech by now is that most people vastly prefer focused devices doing narrow things very well over general purpose devices that are mediocre at some things and merely good at others.

I agree, and I thought the other guys were a little too dismissive of the notion that there is a gap in the market for something like this. You can approximate it to some extent with an HTPC, but it's not a very seamless experience. And developers can't really target that audience. I think something like the Ouya could really shine at giving indie developers a platform for local multiplayer games, which are pretty much non-existent on the PC unless they're hand-me-downs from XBLA.

I certainly share your skepticism about the Ouya team being able to pull it off, but I think the idea is something that could be really great if executed properly.

GhaleonQ

I wasn't open to being swayed on anything but Endless Space here, so thanks for the nice segment and show.

I actually liked the Ouya segment here, as the disconnect between handhelds, consoles, and PCs is the greatest it's been in awhile. That shakes up easy assumptions and forces commentators to think a bit. It feels like the hardware market is finally as tumultuous as the software one, and that's something that, you know, the Neo Geo Pocket Color couln'td have caused.

...NGPC>O. Stellar episode!

Top Bottom