• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cruncheons 33: Gaming Apathy, Nintendo 3DSXL, Nexus 7, NSMB2, Darksiders 2

http://cruncheons.podbean.com/mf/web/pjm9j/Cruncheons33.mp3

NOTE: This was originally going to be the Book Club episode, but Arian and Robert couldn't make the show this time.

Doug and Kevin start the show off by peering into their navels in an attempt to get to the root cause of their current gaming lethargy/apathy. (note: some of this has been covered on the show before)
46:45 Doug reviews the Nintendo 3DSXL
56:00 Doug and Kevin become Nexus 7 buddies
1:12:00 New Super Mario Brothers 2
1:14:00 Darksiders 2

We're making a new podcast. We think the industry is worth trashing. We have some of the big brains of videogames' message board posters / trolls. We aren't going to agree with eachother (or anyone for that matter). Every time MAF guests on the podcast thats another member relying on us. If this podcast doesn't succeed we'll listen to Idle Thumbs

Press Cruncheons

Rufus

Might as well talk about the thing when it's done and turns out to be as ridiculous as it inevitably must.

I couldn't make it this week due to me having to catch up on RL issues before the work week. Apolgies, gents!

If anyone cares, I am playing

Diablo 3 w/ the 1.0.4 Patch - Not a whole new game from the new patch, but all the changes really gel in such a way that the game feels fresh and invigorated. Blizzard really gets the value of concise system design.

Civilization IV and V - Civ V Gods and Kings is basically a HUGE step up over Vanilla Civ 5 and addressees a lot of my earlier complaints about the game. It's better balanced, has less frustrating diplomacy in high-level play, and the new religion system adds another pressure point for the player during the game's critical turns (1-150).

I am also playing the Civ IV modification 'Caveman 2 Cosmos' , which sounds like a bad paleo recipe website for astronauts but is actually a "monster" version of Civ, to borrow board game terms. My game is 7200 turns long, and features low-level minutiae that are usually factored out in the usual Civ experience.

Finally, I am playing a career of Silent Hunter 4 using the Trigger Maru Overhauled mod. I <3 the Pacific submarine war and this was more approachable than playing another playthrough of "Silent War" on the gaming table (which takes months to complete).

Riposte

Civilization IV and V - Civ V Gods and Kings is basically a HUGE step up over Vanilla Civ 5 and addressees a lot of my earlier complaints about the game. It's better balanced, has less frustrating diplomacy in high-level play, and the new religion system adds another pressure point for the player during the game's critical turns (1-150).

That's what I like to hear... I plan on giving it a shot.

Alex

Yeah, I broke down and got an XL too. The buttons are still too small, but theyre really a lot better than the original unit. More clicky, better coating, D-pad is a massive upgrade. I like the unit, especially since you can do DS games in 1:1 mode now at the screen size of a DSi, I'm against clutter and redundant hardware though.

Still, I wish they would have designed this thing different from the getgo. At least rip out that fucking 3D screen and put in a double-res top screen instead. I'm fine with the PSP Turbo power of the unit, but 400x240 is just too low.

Diablo 3 w/ the 1.0.4 Patch - Not a whole new game from the new patch, but all the changes really gel in such a way that the game feels fresh and invigorated. Blizzard really gets the value of concise system design.

Are you getting any mileage out of the class changes? I didn't get time to go through those dev blogs and I'm wondering how significant they are.

Playing Monk, I like both the new Exploding Palm and Seven Sided Strike a lot. I was never super impressed with Blinding Flash, and it's even worse now that the content as a whole has less difficulty spikes.

In general the changes are hard to evaluate so soon because a lot of them really won't shine without the proper gearing, which no one really has at the moment. My dual-weilding Cyclone Monk with LOH gear isn't the best way to test out a crippling wave/2H/weapon damage skill/lifeleech build, but the point is that now the other play styles and builds are more viable than they were before. So if you get bored grinding Paragon levels, you can grind out a few other pieces of gear and have a very different character.

Witch Doctor got the biggest overhaul.

GhaleonQ

We're making a new podcast. We think the industry is worth trashing. We have some of the big brains of videogames' message board posters / trolls. We aren't going to agree with eachother (or anyone for that matter). Every time MAF guests on the podcast thats another member relying on us. If this podcast doesn't succeed we'll listen to Idle Thumbs

Press Cruncheons

Everyone in listening radius would have been laid low by the withering contempt present within. Laid low! I'm thankful that they missed it

BUT

not thankful that they missed books. Still, it looks like a good episode!

What is the name of the book/author Doug briefly mentioned?

Great podcast as usual. I'm suffering from gaming apathy these days and a large reason for it is podcasts. These days I'd much rather listen to a podcast and take a walk or do some cleaning rather then play a game if I have some time to spare.

JackDT

Damn you guys do sound kinda old and cranky with all your apathy. "Games these days, they don't make em like they used to!"

I kinda understood where you were coming from when you mentioned that Steam is a bit different with its lower barriers to entry. Perhaps because that's 90% of where I play games now maybe my perspective is skewed. But since anyone can use these new open platforms it just feels like there are more awesome innovative games coming out than ever before. Everything looks better to me than it used to be.

What I'm playing recently, maybe to see where I'm coming from:

DayZ is creating unique situations and experiences I have never experienced in game. Kerbal Space Program is hitting on my engineering impulses and making for hilarious fails. The new Dungeons of Dredmore expansion is wonderful. Crusader Kings 2 is finally patched enough to be solid, and the mod support is cranking out some very interesting variants. Orcs must Die 2 is really solid and fun coop. The new TF2 coop mode is cool. The competitive gamer in me can't stay away from Dota 2 for too long.

Even on the consoles with more mainstream stuff: Dust An Elysian Tail and Dyad are quite wonderful. Dyad isn't just a pretty shooter! Every level is like a new game mechanically. I love the ones that really make you go, wait, I have to do WHAT?

GhaleonQ

The level of discourse in the podcast remains so high. I sometimes get the sense that podcasts are just articles or essays for people who have too much time or hate to read. You all actually take advantage of the format, discuss, and push and pull on ideas. Thanks for continuing to TRY, Cruncheons.

Even on the consoles with more mainstream stuff: Dust An Elysian Tail and Dyad are quite wonderful. Dyad isn't just a pretty shooter! Every level is like a new game mechanically. I love the ones that really make you go, wait, I have to do WHAT?

I don't entirely agree on the games in question, but I agree that that's the danger of jadedness. I am SO on board with most of Drinky Crow's take on indie game mundaneness, but that runs the risk of overlooking people genuinely carving out charming or innovative places found in those veins.

That's especially true when, to echo the podcast again, the mid-sized developer pool is draining faster than it's being replenished.

Hey, when you guys get around to doing your fancy word book episode make sure Doug plugs that Kindle series about Hell on Earth he teased a few episodes again. This is very relevant to my interests. :3

Top Bottom