• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cruncheons 34: Borderlands 2, FTL, Torchlight 2, XCOM, Guild Wars 2

http://cruncheons.podbean.com/mf/web/b67ng/Cruncheons34.mp3

Doug's stuck doing homework this episode, so Book Club and the Wii U Experience are vaporware yet AGAIN*, but Robert, Arian, and Kevin pinch hit with a roundup of some recent early Fall game releases!

(3:45) Borderlands 2
(27:30) Faster Than Light (FTL)
(39:30) Torchlight 2
(1:06:00) Guild Wars 2
(1:20:00) XCOM and Aliens Vs. Humans
(1:29:30) Rebuild for iOS or Android

We'll talk to you again soon!

*It's still coming, we swear!

Rufus

I'm with Arian on TL2. I hate the aesthetic. And I'm not usually a font snob, but the one they use is so ugly. The movement and general feel of the combat didn't bother me much, though I've only played a Gunslinger in the demo. Path of Exile stuck out more in that regard, to me. As inferior to Diablo 3, I mean. I got used to it there though, so I guess I may have just adapted to it very quickly in T2.

GhaleonQ

Gosh, you people are good at this. I'm really happy to have heard your F.T.L. bit, and I think a couple of the sections are the best breakdowns of their respective games in any gaming media.

FYI, this discussion didn't have any actual hands-on talk about XCOM-we recorded last weekend. The next ep I will give a detailed rundown on the game-it's great-fantastic even- but the reviewers did miss some things and I feel that there's large room for design improvement. There are some things that should be patched sooner, some things that should be addressed in DLC, and some things that really are more sequel-oriented items.

Rufus

The game does feel a little glitchy sometimes. I've shot and been shot through walls and ceilings before, aiming rockets and grenades can make the camera spaz out (not to mention that it's obviously designed for an analogue stick and kinda hard to aim), the fact that new abilities messes up the order of your skills (Overwatch moves from 2 to 3 to 4, depending on the soldier you've selected), moving to different levels in a structure can be very awkward depending on the angle, the UI does not present nearly as much information as it could, cursor feels 'sticky'...
From a design perspective, the thing that sticks out most to me so far is the cover system and the changes that went along with that, like not being able to directly target anything but enemies and the confusing sight lines which go along with that (where it looks like you are flanking somebody, but you aren't).

Still, I'm loving every second. It'll be interesting to heart what you guys have to say on it. Hopefully I'll have finished a game until then.

border

I have missed this show very much. I just don't have time for podcasts anymore :(

Everytime some ridiculous Nintendo news pops up, I want to hear Doug's reaction.

Alex

Bit late on this one, great episode though. Very much agree with a lot of the Borderlands 2 commentary. genuinely shocking release, Gearbox most certainly has my attention now, going forward. One of those rare passes of glut reiteration and polish that takes a concept where it should be I finished a belated run of the original days before the sequel hit and the amount of progress made between the two games is staggering. I was also really dragging my feet at the end of Borderlands (and most of the game, really) but put some uncommon marathon sessions into 2 and went right into TVH mode wanting more.

Loved the Torchlight 2 tangent on skill points too, that system is horrific and has been scattered to the wind for a reason. It's some awkward attempt at nostalgia stirring because I can't think of any other reason for a rational human being to cling to that mess. Personally, rather than Diablo III's load out, which is nice though, I'm becoming a fan of the modernized multiple choice setup in like Xcom and Mists of Pandaria.

Anyway, great ep again, looking forward to more Xcom blurbs in the future. Borderlands 2 FTL and Xcom made for an amazingly good little fall window for discussion and stories. Speaking of stories, also looking forward to the oft-delayed book club episode... someday!

Top Bottom