• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cruncheons 41: PS4, Fire Emblem, Path of Exile, Dissidia Duodecim, HL2

http://cruncheons.podbean.com/mf/web/4ydb35/Cruncheons41.mp3

We're back with our 41st episode, to pleasure you aurally! In our first segment we discuss why the gaming media and fans have been so strangely silent about the PS4 announcement. Then it's on to our regular playlists.

03:05 In-Depth discussion of the PS4 announcement and the further information which came out afterwards
GAMES
2:02:30 Fire Emblem Awakening
2:15:15 Path of Exile
2:36:30 Dissidia Duodecim
2:39:10 Just Cause 2, Biyearly Half-Life 2 playthrough

Talk to you again soon!

This is possibly the most annoying gaming pod cast I've ever heard. These guys are actually claiming that the KillZone demo was canned and faked.

Seriously, it's like they liked the Sony conference but hated that they liked it.

These guys are fucking terrible.

This is possibly the most annoying gaming pod cast I've ever heard. These guys are actually claiming that the KillZone demo was canned and faked.

Seriously, it's like they liked the Sony conference but hated that they liked it.

Pretty sure that we said something like:

- game will look somewhat close to what you saw in the video running at 1080p@30fps.
- guerrilla games have traditionally been able to - for the most part- deliver graphically
- it looks like scifi call of duty all the way, only you get peach jam instead of raspeberry jam in the demo
- the berlin wall themed separation looks as hokey and contrived as the space nazis in the game does-the distinction between the two sides is too clean and essentially color themed-and comes across more as the video game demo equivalent of a McDLT.

The first party games they showed in general were overall underwhelming outside of Drive Club, which had a very progressive design and we praised that. If they launch with these games they will have a "typical" first party launch lineup, which is to say better than the bad ones (WiiU, PS3) but worse than the good ones that had at least had that one killer game that you just had to have (n64, xbox).

edit: we all gave the conference a 7.5-ish, happy that sony relinquished technical control of the PS4 away from their previous notorious teams with their rampant not invented here syndrome, and we liked the controller and the social features a lot. I still firmly think that the Infamous presentation would have been awesome if they had revealed you are playing the police in a great open world manhunt against some crazy powered guy looking to topple the system instead of retreading the same road they did with the last two games and that KZ3 looked super yawn compared to more progressive, online FPS designs like Destiny.

I still firmly think that the Infamous presentation would have been awesome if they had revealed you are playing the police in a great open world manhunt against some crazy powered guy looking to topple the system instead of retreading the same road they did with the last two games and that KZ3 looked super yawn compared to more progressive, online FPS designs like Destiny.

That sounds like it could be a great multiplayer mode. I much rather they try something like this then keeping going down the user generated content path from Infamous 2 and Festival of Blood. I couldn’t even manage to get the trophy for doing like ~15 UGC missions in Festival

Narolf

Banned
:p "Duodecim" as in "Dissidia", not "kim". And yep, it's better than PSABR in my book, or even Smash Bros for that matter.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The RAM jokes are not funny anymore. I hope Evilore does something about this. It adds nothing to the thread. Wow.

8bsL2mal.png

:p "Duodecim" as in "Dissidia", not "kim". And yep, it's better than PSABR in my book, or even Smash Bros for that matter.

Thanks for that-and I agree about the game. It's so much fun to play and has the kind of single player content hooks (stats and gearing) that are perfect for someone who's not keen on playing online.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I looooove Half-Life 2, but it's not the type of game I would play bi-yearly. After a couple playthroughs you've pretty much seen all that the game has to offer. Plus it has those annoying pseudo-cutscenes you can't skip without entering console commands.

Better to explore the mods, like Mission Improbable and Precursor. Speaking of which, I need to get on Mod DB this weekend and play some, it's been too long.

Clarification-we know that KZ4 will run at 1080p/30fps. That's the target. They may even hit 60fps if they have some man from the future come back in time with optimized libraries to work with.

I'm not questioning the framerate/resolution. I'm questioning just how well the game will actually look compared to this demo at release. Uneven asset quality in some sections, IQ compromises to maintain the framerate across the game , those kind of things can-and do-often happen between demonstration productions running on development hardware and the final output running on actual machines.

GG didn't have much of a dropoff (as I understand it) from their E3 demo to release of KZ2, so-like I mentioned-I expect the visual output from KZ4 to be, although likely not identical, close to what was seen in the video. Which is what I said.

No sonic racing talk :(

Think we gushed over that last episode. It and DmC are two of our picks for January in terms of must-have PC games.

Clarification-we know that KZ4 will run at 1080p/30fps. That's the target. They may even hit 60fps if they have some man from the future come back in time with optimized libraries to work with.

I'm not questioning the framerate/resolution. I'm questioning just how well the game will actually look compared to this demo at release. Uneven asset quality in some sections, IQ compromises to maintain the framerate across the game , those kind of things can-and do-often happen between demonstration productions running on development hardware and the final output running on actual machines.

GG didn't have much of a dropoff (as I understand it) from their E3 demo to release of KZ2, so-like I mentioned-I expect the visual output from KZ4 to be, although likely not identical, close to what was seen in the video. Which is what I said.

Think we gushed over that last episode. It and DmC are two of our picks for January in terms of must-have PC games.

thugway said it will better than it does now

D3RANG3D

Mai waifu

I give the PS Meeting

2/10
1/5

The only saving grace was the Capcom game on that panty raider engine, and the whole 8 gigs of ram thing which hopefully means 64bit executables for PC games and gets it out of the DX9 gaming ghetto.

Rufus

It's Killzone. You're gonna shoot goggle eyed space fascist terrorists with pseudo turbans in corridors. It's going to be there, it's going to look good. Call me when it's more than just a competent shooter.

As for PoE: Melee is really not viable in the end game right now (surprised no-one mentioned the desync issues), but GGG has already announced that they're looking to do something about that. You can do it, but there's no point since ranged is so much stronger and you can and should be be tanky anyway. Certainly hope it get better, because my Groundslam Marauder is boring to play and I've taken a liking to Cleave/Dual Strike Duelist I've played in two races now.
About respecs: You can respec out of keystone nodes like Chaos Inoculation and Blood Magic. They all end in a dead end on the tree partly for that reason, since you can't interrupt the path you take. You get enough respec points from quests to try them out, provided you've gone anywhere near them as you spec your character.

Also, am I the only person who liked D2 as it was, pre-LoD? :<

Oh, and you did a good job hosting, Frag.

KKRT00

Guys about PoE. IF You are building CI character, You get shield nodes and items with chaos resistances before hitting CI, thats all. Before Merciless You cant be danger much by chaos damage.

And talking about creating new character for new build, oh come on, You can level 50 levels in like 10 hours.

Combat is fluid with fast attack speed/cast speed and higher movement speed. You can interrupt skills though, its good and bad feature, bad because it works against some reaction against enemies, good because makes Your actions more meaningful.

And polish is overused word when its used for games that cant even work properly [drops to 20-30fps and stuttering all the time on great specs] and messed up mechanics, messed up hitboxes, messed aim-assist, messed up level design and messed up end-game.
Thats not polished, thats unpolished.

Rufus

I don't mind restarting characters because I love character customization, especially when you can do it during races, but don't act like 10 hours is nothing.

Chipopo

Banned

you mean, they liked certain things and disliked others? sounds complicated.

Alex

Killzone story synopsis was really wonderful.

Eel, what bluetooth headset do you have for your nexus 7?

KZ3 looked super yawn compared to more progressive, online FPS designs like Destiny.

You keep saying Killzone 3, but it's actually Killzone 4. I've seen several people do this and it's an interesting phenomena that you have a game series that's just so "me too" and uneventful that people are forgetting major entries even exist.

As for the conf, the hardware seemed wonderful, the rest seemed like PS3.5. I was hoping to see them work some new game and business models some more. Sort of amazed you didn't at least see some F2P efforts with Planetside 2 ports and whatnot, it feels like that should be pushed earlier as part of the DNA of the machine rather than waiting on it.

Alex

I have these rocketfish bluetooth headphones, they've always been reliable and hold a charge for a really long time:

http://tinyurl.com/cc5z8jh

Thanks a bunch, I really need a pair of these, that or buy some shitty, disposable MP3 player I don't really want.

Oh, the Diablo III discussion on this was also great, and completely true on every step. The overall reception of the game and a lot of the terrible commentary and even press reactions were nonsense just drove me nuts. The game and it's early issues deserved some lumps, but as usual internet faux outrage is like some kind of disease and it envelopes everything.

I do notice that the party for Torchlight II and it being some amazing savior of a genre has completely evaporated with people having to face up to it being a fairly shit game and having to slink back into the shadows to avoid hypocrisy or actual discussion.

It's Killzone. You're gonna shoot goggle eyed space fascist terrorists with pseudo turbans in corridors. It's going to be there, it's going to look good. Call me when it's more than just a competent shooter.

As for PoE: Melee is really not viable in the end game right now (surprised no-one mentioned the desync issues), but GGG has already announced that they're looking to do something about that. You can do it, but there's no point since ranged is so much stronger and you can and should be be tanky anyway. Certainly hope it get better, because my Groundslam Marauder is boring to play and I've taken a liking to Cleave/Dual Strike Duelist I've played in two races now.
About respecs: You can respec out of keystone nodes like Chaos Inoculation and Blood Magic. They all end in a dead end on the tree partly for that reason, since you can't interrupt the path you take. You get enough respec points from quests to try them out, provided you've gone anywhere near them as you spec your character.

Also, am I the only person who liked D2 as it was, pre-LoD? :<

Oh, and you did a good job hosting, Frag.

Adding Leap Slam to my GS build made it very fun; not to say it wasn't fun before, but the speed makes it much cooler. My Marauder never dies unless I fuck up

Rufus

Yeah, they are very tanky. Just stay away from big packs of lightning arrow archers and don't try to nuke the necromancer that's with them... Ahem.

wondermega

under-rated podcast (I'm sure being called "Cruncheons" doesn't help much) These guys are interesting, gaf, listen to them

You keep saying Killzone 3, but it's actually Killzone 4. I've seen several people do this and it's an interesting phenomena that you have a game series that's just so "me too" and uneventful that people are forgetting major entries even exist.

Thanks for the correction.

The thing is the franchise is a big deal to some people, and is dead to others. All I saw when I watched that video was another CoD-styled super on rails shooter, and that's just not exciting to me. Maybe KZ4 is going to break ranks from what I'm thinking it is. That would be cool, I just really doubt it.

These games cost a bajillion dollars to make. Take and test some risks, try something new.

Top Bottom