• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cruncheons 54: Snow White and the Seven Cryptocoin Miners

YIWOh8z.gif

http://cruncheons.podbean.com/mf/web/svqecp/Cruncheons54.mp3

Segment One:

1. Is the recent news of Irrational Games closing a starting marker for an industry-wide shift away from AAA games with huge budgets?

2. (26:35) The Nvidia 750 TI and the AMD R7 265 and the imaginary money dwarves

Segment Two:

(36:30) D3 Update and Path of Exile
(53:15) Out There
(58:00) Plants vs. Zombies vs. EA's Shitty Servers

We'll talk to you again soon!

Purkake4

Banned
Umm, I do kind of seem to remember you guys singing praises to the auction house back when everyone else hated it...

Umm, I do kind of seem to remember you guys singing praises to the auction house back when everyone else hated it...

AH was fine. The real issue was the the number of range of affixes and overall stat distribution didn't leave enough room to really self-innovate or adapt gear to builds. The new loot drops are-as I mentioned-much more "unstable" with their focus and do well to move players off any agreed optimal path.

GhaleonQ

Honest question 30 minutes in. So, I'm interested in the idea of preserving "culture," ways of life. That goes for more than just art, but, to take 1 art-based example, it's bad for non-computer animation to be marginalized in shorts and features by the industry because, eventually, there are no teachers or interested students of the style and the entire path closes.

I'm all about mid-tier companies, obviously, but your vision of blockbuster studios being based around 1 property and everyone else scaling back massively seems like a bad thing to me.

If an idea ever calls for 10 or more hours at a blockbuster scale, companies won't have the logistical, management, or cooperative skill to produce it. 3 hours becoming the new normal means no one knows how to make a 20-hour game and audiences don't have a taste for it. There's no institutional history, either.

Now, granted, companies like EA blow at these processes right now, so some should stop trying. However, there must be winners out there. If a novel or television series can use that time and the creators' resources wisely, why can't video games?

Shouldn't SOMEONE be doing new, 15-hour, big-budget games?

Of course they should, and will. I was coming at it from an angle that, as someone who has limited time and many ways in which I have to split it, I've grown more and more appreciative of smaller games.

Top Bottom