• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crusader Kings 3 releases on September 1st - will be launching on Xbox gamepass for PC, Steam and Paradox Launcher.

Serianox

That decision to unite several kingdom titles into one sounds like a nightmare of multiple strong duchies vassals without a way of relegating them to a different kingdom title once you become emperor. Then again one thing they haven't shown is how costly it is so create a new empire so it might be more practical to do so.

Also another video that went live:

Not gonna lie, I just started playing CK2 (because I was intrigued by CK3) and it's awfully confusing.

I spent 2 and a half hours watching YouTube tutorials and i'm STILL confused.

Is the game mostly a waiting game whereas your decisions that were made take time to come fruition?

It's definitely a slow burn game, but I guess I'm really unsure when I'm making progress or when I'm just lost.

Kadayi

Banned
Not gonna lie, I just started playing CK2 (because I was intrigued by CK3) and it's awfully confusing.

Is the game mostly a waiting game whereas your decisions that were made take time to come fruition?

It's definitely a slow burn game, but I guess I'm really unsure when I'm making progress or when I'm just lost.

CKII is honestly one of the hardest games to learn. Very satisfying when you get into it, but it's a slog. Even a good 100-200 + hours in I was finding out new stuff.

However CKIII seems to be not necessarily dumbed down, but a lot more intuitive and straightforward as well as proactive in helping you to out in terms of letting you know what's going on and providing tips and advice (something CKII never did).

Honestly, much love for CKII, but I'd suggest maybe watching some of the videos already posted and giving CKIII a run whrn it comes out instead versus trying to wrestle with CKII at this juncture.

Last edited:

Dargor

Yes, thats how it works and it takes some time to get used to it, just dont think of it as a strategy game per se, but more like a role playing game.

Bolivar687

Banned

It's meant to be a very deep game that takes a long term to learn everything, but it's not at all insurmountable and becomes very manageable once you get your reps in. You may have heard by now, but the ideal starting location is Ireland, since you only have to worry about a few small rivals on your island before you can consolidate the kingdom, then start worrying about the rest of the British Isles.

Initially, you do want to resolve the major notifications along the top of the screen, then you can let the game clock start to tick and resolve events as they come in. However, you absolutely want to have a greater territorial goal you're constantly working towards, like forming a Kingdom if you're a Duke or conquering all of the Counties that should be under your Kingdom by Law. Look to your vassals and see which ones are discontent and give them Council positions, minor titles or gifts of money to have a more favorable impression than you. If you have powerful vassals whose opinion of you seems irreconcilable, you can plot an assassination and invite collaborators, offer a marriage to one of your family members to prevent them from declaring war on you, or check which of their own vassals dislike them, to provoke a lower tier civil war in their ranks.

Look at the realms outside your kingdom with whom you have non-aggression pacts and see which ones might be up for an Alliance. Offer to join their wars and you can leech off of their opponents with sieges on their undefended Counties or battles against their stranded armies to make extra gold. The more you contribute to your allies' wars, the more you're rewarded if they win.

Look at the succession laws in your country and ask whether they will be favorable to your goals when you die. Work to change the laws by placating vassals to ensure their votes to strengthen your succession.

Yes, some of this is a "waiting game," and you can toggle the game speed depending on how actively you are engaging the menus at the current moment, but you should be constantly expanding and consolidating your power, shoring up your succession, and engaging in world events through law, intrigue, diplomacy, and warfare.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

The problem with getting into a game this late is that there are so many patches and added systems and not necessarily good guides at the current state of the game aimed at new players. Just wait for ck3.

But the point of the game is to tell a story about your dynasty. This is the RP server of strategy games.

cHaOs667

Nice, I'll take a second dive into the game after the release of Nothern Lords.
As always, straight after the release, it felt a bit unpolished and the precursor was way more entertaining.

But for now, Stellaris keeps me busy... Again... :D ... but this time on xbox ;)

<3 Paradox Grand Strategy Games (at least after a couple of updates...)

Top Bottom