• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crusader Kings 3 releases on September 1st - will be launching on Xbox gamepass for PC, Steam and Paradox Launcher.

MHubert

Paradox has just announced the release date for the next installment in their medieval grand strategy sim, which is due September 1st 2020. The fact that they are releasing the game on gamepass means that you will be able to jump in without having to invest in a mountain of DLC down the line, which bodes well for those annoyed by Paradox's history of monetary practices.

new 'story' trailer:

Some newly released gameplay:

Edit: Big shout out to OneProudBavarian who has done an incredible job at keeping up to date on the dev diaries. I recommend checking all of his CK3 videos to get a glimpse on what we might expect - amazing work.

The game will be available at 49.99 euro, alongside a Royal Edition priced at 74.99 euro.
More at the link

Hype?
Deus Vult me if old.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Paradox has just announced the release date for the next installment in their medieval grand strategy sim, which is due September 1st 2020. The fact that they are releasing the game on gamepass means that you will be able to jump in without having to invest in a mountain of DLC down the line, which bodes well for those annoyed by Paradox's history of monetary practices.

new 'story' trailer:

Some newly released gameplay:

The game will be available at 49.99 euro, alongside a Royal Edition priced at 74.99 euro.
More at the link

Hype?
Deus Vult me if old.

Definitely a good news.
I will give this a try

MHubert

Only PC Game Pass? Why no Xbox?
Maybe down the line. I would love to see a console version in the future, although I think it would require some heavy UI opimizations to work great.

I forgot to give a shout-out to OneProudBavarian who has done an incredible job at keeping up to date on the dev diaries. I recommend checking all of his CK3 videos to get a glimpse on what we might expect - amazing work.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Are you sure? So far only platforms seem to be Linux, Mac OS and Windows
No, I was wrong. I saw an Xbox announcement trailer which didn't say PC and just assumed it was for Xbox One. It's a strange world we live in now where Xbox games aren't necessarily on the console.

MHubert

New dev diary, and of course new video from OPB giving an overview of the improved art direction in CK3. I personally think it looks amazing, and I especially think we are going to see some amazing mods utilizing the move from 2d to 3d.

MHubert

stoked for this game!
Me too - they seem to have updated basically every core mechanic to the point where the possibilities for further expansion and modding seem almost endless.

+ The character art and design is nothing short of phenomenal

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Huge CKII fan here. I have to say CKIII is looking very good. One aspect in particular I think is great is that they haven't necessarily made it simpler, but they've made it so that the game offers you hints and suggestions as you play to make you aware of options. That's a huge thing really, because truth is the learning curve on CKII was like the north face of the Iger. I think there's every possibility that CKIII could actively break out into mainstream attention versus just the strategy sites which would be good. Loving the whole graphical overhaul and sim style genetics as well.

MHubert

Huge CKII fan here. I have to say CKIII is looking very good. One aspect in particular I think is great is that they haven't necessarily made it simpler, but they've made it so that the game offers you hints and suggestions as you play to make you aware of options. That's a huge thing really, because truth is the learning curve on CKII was like the north face of the Iger. I think there's every possibility that CKIII could actively break out into mainstream attention versus just the strategy sites which would be good. Loving the whole graphical overhaul and sim style genetics as well.
This is true. I had to revisit CK2 over a long period of time until it actually clicked (online videos and guides helped push me a lot). I thought I had exhausted my interest in strategy games, but when it clicked, it cracked open the shell and I have now invested (too) many hundreds of hours into it and can't stop playing to this day. CK3 really seems to take the learning curve seriously without sacrificing the depth, so I can't wait to see how the community develops from here.

Kadayi

Banned
This is true. I had to revisit CK2 over a long period of time until it actually clicked (online videos and guides helped push me a lot). I thought I had exhausted my interest in strategy games, but when it clicked, it cracked open the shell and I have now invested (too) many hundreds of hours into it and can't stop playing to this day. CK3 really seems to take the learning curve seriously without sacrificing the depth, so I can't wait to see how the community develops from here.

Yeah I was extremely impressed with the game-play demo they showed. A real step up for Paradox. That we are getting a ruler maker for free down the line is also sweet news.

MHubert

Yeah I was extremely impressed with the game-play demo they showed. A real step up for Paradox. That we are getting a ruler maker for free down the line is also sweet news.
I was worried that they would release it as dlc like with CK2, but praise the sun :p

Last edited:

bati

I’ve always wanted to get into CK2 but felt it was pretty dug in at this point, I’m definitely picking this up at launch.

Same here. I own all the DLCS for CK2 even 🤦‍♂️. Tried getting into it a few times but the game got updated so often that I always had issues finding up to date in-depth tutorials. I mean yeah, I know the basics and what the game is about but sometimes a guy just wants to powergame a bit too, you know? And not knowing the mechanics in detail is a huge obstacle to that.

Here's hoping that my journey with CK3 will be different.

Also, if anyone has good tutorials for tribal starts (pagan slavic especially) hit me up please, maybe I could kill some time with CK2 until the release of the sequel. Stuff like expansion and raiding tips and so on.

MHubert

Yeah I'm never so vain to play as myself, but my old university housemates have ravaged and rampaged across Europe quite a lot in CKII :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Haha, so has my brother in law among others :messenger_halo:

Same here. I own all the DLCS for CK2 even 🤦‍♂️. Tried getting into it a few times but the game got updated so often that I always had issues finding up to date in-depth tutorials. I mean yeah, I know the basics and what the game is about but sometimes a guy just wants to powergame a bit too, you know? And not knowing the mechanics in detail is a huge obstacle to that.

Here's hoping that my journey with CK3 will be different.

Also, if anyone has good tutorials for tribal starts (pagan slavic especially) hit me up please, maybe I could kill some time with CK2 until the release of the sequel. Stuff like expansion and raiding tips and so on.
I know what you mean. For me, it helped a lot setting different goals for myself and every time I ran into obstacles I would look up guides or answers on the wiki, and with each playtrough I would lean about new possibilities that would inspire my goals for the next run. If you haven't checked it out, there is currently a set of challenges within CK2 that are called 'Monarchs Journey'. These are brilliant, as they offer unique (and sometimes very hard) goals for your playthrough; from which you are sure to learn something new... Plus, completing them unlocks apparel in CK3 :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

MHubert

bati bati
I haven't done any slavic runs yet so I wouldn't know much about that, but I'm an avid tribal Nordic player.

Essentially, raiding is super OP if you start early: unit upkeep is almost non existent and while it may agitate those you raid it doesn't do much more than that. Be sure to have ships stationed at the tile next to the county you are raiding, be it coast or river, otherwise you will not be able to carry your loot. It is always a good idea to seige the holding(s) to get the maximum amount of loot and possible weapons, artifacts or other items. It is likewise possible to take prisoners and demand ransom this way. If you don't know already, remember to toggle the raid button on your unit while in your territory. Watch out for your viking neighbours when the viking age starts - those mf's get a free casus belli on any coastal county. At this point you should hopefully be on your way to secure your religions respective holy sites, so you can reform your religion to start and helm that sweet tribal revolution.

Edit:
Oh, and of course, find a strategy to keep you kingdom intact by implementing proper succession laws (Tanistry is an option although it comes with its own set of challenges). Gavelkind succession is one of the big mitigators of benefits to the otherwise pretty powerful tribal start - and can honestly be a real pain in the ass - but when overcome and with a reformed religion, you should be in a quite neat spot to begin wrestle the big boys of Europe.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Oh, and of course, find a strategy to keep you kingdom intact by implementing proper succession laws (Tanistry is an option although it comes with its own set of challenges). Gavelkind succession is one of the big mitigators of benefits to the otherwise pretty powerful tribal start - and can honestly be a real pain in the ass - but when overcome and with a reformed religion, you should be in a quite neat spot to begin wrestle the big boys of Europe.

Don't forget the concubines as well. Extra renown, plus if you're doing a custom start more kids, which can be seen a problematic by some due to inheritance (I say..let them fight), but is a good way of maybe pulling some positive traits into the bloodline (search for low-born women with strong, genius, quick, beautiful traits willing to come to your court, get them in then conc them up) and also gives you more options to build alliances through arranged marriages, especially by luring in those unhappy second/third sons in line to a title somewhere with a strong claim and arranging matrilinial marriages to your daughters. A few "unhappy accidents" at your son in laws home and you could find your grandchild is suddenly God-Emperor of Dune 🤔

bati

bati bati
I haven't done any slavic runs yet so I wouldn't know much about that, but I'm an avid tribal Nordic player.

Essentially, raiding is super OP if you start early: unit upkeep is almost non existent and while it may agitate those you raid it doesn't do much more than that. Be sure to have ships stationed at the tile next to the county you are raiding, be it coast or river, otherwise you will not be able to carry your loot. It is always a good idea to seige the holding(s) to get the maximum amount of loot and possible weapons, artifacts or other items. It is likewise possible to take prisoners and demand ransom this way. If you don't know already, remember to toggle the raid button on your unit while in your territory. Watch out for your viking neighbours when the viking age starts - those mf's get a free casus belli on any coastal county. At this point you should hopefully be on your way to secure your religions respective holy sites, so you can reform your religion to start and helm that sweet tribal revolution.

Edit:

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. The reason I wanted to play slavic is because it's closely aligned with my own nationality and I thought seeing familiar names (-ic family of last names) would help me get a better grasp of the dynasty structure and hierarchy. Believe it or not, when I first started playing and (repeatedly) tried to make some headway on the noob island (Ireland) I had huge issues because of their names and couldn't tell who's who without double and triple checking every single character.

MHubert

Our king of León has returned to enlighten us with his uncanny tactics. His goals are rather ambitious this time around - will he succeed?

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
Man, I wish I had more time to get into this type of games, like I had it during my school days. Damn modern gaming with all its timers and limited events.

Bolivar687

Banned
Two and a half weeks. I feel like that's not enough time to emotionally prepare for the amount of time this game is going to drain over the long run.

MHubert

The time has come for the king of León to excecute his grand plan and it seems like a sure fire... but trouble might be brewing a bit closer to home.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I own CK2. It's always been a game, like most other strategy games, that I swear I'll get "super into" one day.

Glad to see the IP lives on, but I won't be buying until I put some decent time into CK2.

MHubert

I own CK2. It's always been a game, like most other strategy games, that I swear I'll get "super into" one day.

Glad to see the IP lives on, but I won't be buying until I put some decent time into CK2.
Now is the best time. New challenges in CK2 enables you unlock apparel in CK3 and if you have all the expansions, the game is better than ever. If you grow to love it, then CK3 promises to freshen up basically every core mechanic and holds a candle to an epic future for the series.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Now is the best time. New challenges in CK2 enables you unlock apparel in CK3 and if you have all the expansions, the game is better than ever. If you grow to love it, then CK3 promises to freshen up basically every core mechanic and holds a candle to an epic future for the series.

I should really have done the challenges tbh, but I've been hella busy with other things. I figure that the unlocks will invariably be available down the road as paid DLC . I assume you've played through them? Are they time sensitive like the elusive targets in Hitman or are they permanently there? Also how challenging are we talking in terms of time investment? I like unlocks, but I don't want to have to play a 50 hour campaign to unlock a single haircut. 🤔

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Another video, all about the cash monies

I do like the idea that you can seemingly negotiate different taxes with different vassals based on agreements, versus just a straight tax for all. For instance you might charge a powerful Vassal more Tax but under the guarantee that you won't contest his title or some such.

Also OPB on the latest Dev Diary

Last edited:

MHubert

I should really have done the challenges tbh, but I've been hella busy with other things. I figure that the unlocks will invariably be available down the road as paid DLC . I assume you've played through them? Are they time sensitive like the elusive targets in Hitman or are they permanently there? Also how challenging are we talking in terms of time investment? I like unlocks, but I don't want to have to play a 50 hour campaign to unlock a single haircut. 🤔
I haven't played through all of them but a good bit so far. Some of them are easy while others can be quite tough and I honestly have no idea whether or not the content will be released later on as paid dlc (although, knowing Paradox, I suspect it will ;) )

There is a wide selection of characters or 'campaigns', each with its own set of unique challenges - such as being a jewish ruler in a muslim empire and have a number of jew characters join your court, or assassinate a certain number of members from a rival dynasty - where completing each one earns you 2 points (or more, depending one the challenge). These points add up to certain milestones where you unlock the content (in total 324 points available with 120 points required to unlock everything), so you could potentially switch between different campaigns if some of the challenges are too hard. I wouldn't say it takes too long since they are more or less focused on executing specific strategies, so much of the time you would play on highest speed.

If I were you, I would play them as a way to hone and challenge your skills as a player or simply to have a good time since most of them are quite fun and enjoyable. In the end, most of the prizes are just cosmetic items such as hats and beards but at least it's something :)

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I haven't played through all of them but a good bit so far. Some of them are easy while others can be quite tough and I honestly have no idea whether or not the content will be released later on as paid dlc (although, knowing Paradox, I suspect it will ;) )

There is a wide selection of characters or 'campaigns', each with its own set of unique challenges - such as being a jewish ruler in a muslim empire and have a number of jew characters join your court, or assassinate a certain number of members from a rival dynasty - where completing each one earns you 2 points (or more, depending one the challenge). These points add up to certain milestones where you unlock the content, so you could potentially switch between different campaigns if some of the challenges are too hard. I wouldn't say it takes too long since they are more or less focused on executing specific strategies, so much of the time you would play on highest speed.

If I were you, I would play them as a way to hone and challenge your skills as a player or simply to have a good time since most of them are quite fun and enjoyable. In the end, most of the prizes are just cosmetic items such as hats and beards but at least it's something :)

I would but right now I'm balls deep in Death Stranding being the worlds most tenacious Amazon Delivery Man and I feel I need to push through and get that out of my system before CKIII lands. Great game Death Stranding, but if you're a bit of a completionist like me, it's a real time vampire. Once CKIII hits, I can't say I won't ever return to CKII, but it's probably unlikely.

MHubert

I hear you; when CK3 drops I don't think I will return to CK2 myself, unless it doesn't live up to expectations, although this seems unlikely. DS is a brilliant game, one of my absolute favorites this gen. I clocked in about 80+ hours before putting it down so I know all about those UPS addictions - I miss traversing rivers and mountains with my precious cargo while stumbling around like a drunk lunatic.. Good times :messenger_heart:

Last edited:

MHubert

I'm just going to remind you all of this pearl from CKII: It almost sounds like Duruflé and I hope CKIII reaches an equal measure with its OST :messenger_heart:

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Crusader Kings 3 is going to be my first Grand Strategy game. I'm so excited! Can't wait to be overwhelmed!

CK is a unique series in that its strategy but also role play in many ways. CKIII is really shaping up to be something special and I think they've put a tonne of work in in making it relatively accessible with the tool tips etc, which is hopefully make it more comprehensible for a lot of people. Much love for CKII but the leaning curve on it was pretty rough.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
Crusader Kings 3 is going to be my first Grand Strategy game. I'm so excited! Can't wait to be overwhelmed!

This is something that I've really come to love about these games, as I've kinda grown out of the open world third person AAA console blockbuster. You're guaranteed not to understand these games for the first fifty hours, but over the long term you can eventually master all of these complex systems of intrigue, law, and warfare to dominate the world stage.

And then the pure roleplaying campaigns begin :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Seems paradox have allowed a few popular CKII youtubers to show some game play . I'm not going to link to them all but OPB shows of a bit of game-play as he takes over Bohemia: -

and EnterElysium goes for the tough start of Harold in 1066

Last edited:
Top Bottom