• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crusader Kings III - Next-Gen Release Date Announcement Trailer [March 29, 2022]

Saber

Gold Member
My app warn me of this(its the only thing its good at).

Too bad its only for next gen. I was interested at first.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Is this game fun? I have enjoyed playing Civilization before.

All I know about this game is there's a Game of Thrones PC mod of it out there.

Chukhopops

Excellent game, tons of fun even though it can be hard to learn.

Can’t imagine playing it with a controller but I guess the menus would be redone to accommodate it.

Termite

This game is the opposite of fun - it's fiddly, time intensive and frustrating, but it's damn interesting and definitely worth a look. The stories it throws up are fascinating.

Starting in Munster was bizarre as that's where I live. I was wondering if it geolocated my position to start me there but I don't think so! Made the tutorial highly entertaining.

My game:
-Win a bunch of wars, become successful king, get married, have son
-Decide that four kingdoms is enough pursue peace with my son by my side
-All goes well, aside from an asshole head of religion, but I handle him (and others)
-Son gets married and has a daughter, my lineage is secured
-Decide to throw party because I won at everything and my granddaughter is cute
-Invite bard from Spain to delight my family
-Bard arrives, plays well. Oh wait, he brought the fucking plague with him. Oh shit
-Everyone starts dying at incredibly high speed
-Son and wife die; chief advisor dies, mass devastation, everything I built falling apart
-As long as neither I nor my granddaughter get it, it's okay, right? I'm imagining what it must have been like to really go through this and it's insane.
-Welp. beloved infant granddaughter gets the plague, then I get the plague. That's all, folks... surely?
-Doctor asks if he can perform risky procedure on me
-Guy seems like a quack, but say yes, what is there to lose
-It goes horribly wrong (he was a quack lol), now I'm dying for sure
-Doctor comes in on my deathbed and tells me my beloved 3 year old granddaughter has somehow survived, is free from the disease
-The kingdom will endure. Die happy

Incredible procedural storytelling. And that's as basic of a game as you could play. I was legitimately on the edge of my seat as each person I'd come to know got the disease and started dying.

No idea how you'd play this with a controller though.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I mean if they can get STELLARIS on consoles, CK shouldn't be that difficult (particularly with a virtual mouse which they show in the PS5 trailer).

This game is the opposite of fun - it's fiddly, time intensive and frustrating, but it's damn interesting and definitely worth a look. The stories it throws up are fascinating.

Starting in Munster was bizarre as that's where I live. I was wondering if it geolocated my position to start me there but I don't think so!

Highly disagree on the fun critique, however Munster is selected because it is an easy region with a pretty straightforward path to follow (creation of the Kingdom of Ireland) that gets you hands on time with the various systems in the game.

BlackM1st

Banned

Starting in Munster was bizarre as that's where I live. I was wondering if it geolocated my position to start me there but I don't think so! Made the tutorial highly entertaining.

My game:
-All goes well, aside from an asshole head of religion, but I handle him (and others)
-Bard arrives, plays well. Oh wait, he brought the fucking plague with him. Oh shit
-Son and wife die; chief advisor dies, mass devastation, everything I built falling apart
-As long as neither I nor my granddaughter get it, it's okay, right? I'm imagining what it must have been like to really go through this and it's insane.
-Welp. beloved infant granddaughter gets the plague, then I get the plague. That's all, folks... surely?
-Doctor comes in on my deathbed and tells me my beloved 3 year old granddaughter has somehow survived, is free from the disease

Incredible procedural storytelling. And that's as basic of a game as you could play. I was legitimately on the edge of my seat as each person I'd come to know got the disease and started dying.

Moral of this story is to kill all bards with fire 🔥

I mean if they can get STELLARIS on consoles, CK shouldn't be that difficult (particularly with a virtual mouse which they show in the PS5 trailer).

Highly disagree on the fun critique, however Munster is selected because it is an easy region with a pretty straightforward path to follow (creation of the Kingdom of Ireland) that gets you hands on time with the various systems in the game.
Stellaris on console doesn't have feature parity with the Windows version, it's a damn shame.

Saber

Gold Member

My game:

Dude thats though. Never knew they could be so brutal during the gameplay.

As for the controller, from the video it seems that will use a wheel(probably by holding a specific button) for the options/actions/etc. But I'm not sure.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Crusader Kings III: Royal Court DLC reviewed on PC by Leana Hafer.

Whether I'm creating new melting pot cultures, decorating my throne room, or throwing lavish parties to make sure everyone remembers how important I am, Royal Court goes beyond tacking on some new mechanics to the already excellent Crusader Kings 3. It weaves iron into the very fibers of the base game and makes it feel more complete and cohesive. And rather than focus on one region, all the pillars and ethoses added by the new culture system make it feel like a flavor pack for the entire world. It's the best kind of grand strategy expansion, and while it leaves dukes and tribal rulers feeling a bit left out in the rain as they can't access most of these new systems, I wouldn't want to ever play without it.

With this coming to Xbox soon, is there any point in getting this if I don't have Xbox Live? That is, is there any single-player content?

Thanks

I personally consider this game my favourite game of all time with 600 hours on it - more than any other game I have ever played in my 31 years of being alive.

But buyer beware, it's a game for those who have a knack for creating their own stories in their head - not for those that need to be handheld and guided through everything.

But once you get a knack for it, it's a lot of fun.

T-Cake

I’ve never really paid much attention to this series but now I get a chance to try it out. I remember it looking cool at E3 or something last year. It seemed to remind me of Total War but hopefully not as I don’t like those games.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
With this coming to Xbox soon, is there any point in getting this if I don't have Xbox Live? That is, is there any single-player content?

Thanks

I would say the great majority of CK players play singleplayer. The AI isn't a slouch. I've never played this game with other humies (I wouldn't even know how to start a session).

McCheese

Played for 2 hours (cheers gamepass) and the controls are shite.

The studio who ported it have done their best to map controller buttons over the original PC UI, but other than a few shortcut wheels it has far to many "hold button down" commands, and certain things you simply cannot click on without clicking and holding the L3 stick to trigger a cursor. They really needed to rip out the PC UI and start from scratch, which isn't the route they opted for.

To make things worse, I've found that even when you trigger the cursor, there are still some things you cannot click on which you can on PC. When it says for example "Unable to declare war due to <name>" or has a characters name within a tooltip, there is no way to click the name to shortcut to them anymore, so this plus other little quality of life PC shortcuts have been nerfed from the "cursor mode", but they haven't compensated for it with the controller UI default controls either.

Hard pass, glad I tried it on Gamepads first as I was ready to double-down and get the royal edition.

Last edited by a moderator:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The most cunning Generation is always the Next. Experience the grand intrigue and sweeping story telling of Crusader Kings III from the comfort of your very own throne, or even couch. The much beloved Grand Strategy series, Crusader Kings III is now available on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

Freeman76

They have mapped the controls so well here, its so simple to play, it all works perfectly and they should be pleased with their efforts for sure.

My only gripe is how the fuck do they think this tutorial is any use 🤣🤣. Its a constant barrage of info that most humans will never retain once the window is closed.

Just spent 6h trying to learn the game. Not a chance. I can't do shit. 50 bucks down the shitter.
Well worth learning imo - it's an ultimate roleplay game. This guy has good tips:

Basically:
- always have your top 5 most powerful vassals in good standing [give them court positions or, if they are seriously incompatible, then just make an alliance or dispose of them] A vassal in an alliance or dungeon can't join factions.
- always have 2 alliances running at the beginning, not too far and not with your close neighbors coz you might want to conquer that territory.
- prepare for your death. Very crucial at the start to maintain your territory. Force your excess sons to fight as champions, so they might get killed, if not then disinherit right before your death.

GenericUser

Nah, man. Stick with it and watch tutorials, it will be worth it.
I seriously think the console version is bugged. Honestly, it feels like I can't do ANYTHING. I'm just looking at the map screen with no meaningful options whatsoever. I can't declare war, I can't talk with other rulers, I can't manage anything. I basically just watch the map being painted in different colours. That's it, the game "plays" itself and I'm standing on the side watching the game having fun with itself (just like my sex life).

They have mapped the controls so well here, its so simple to play, it all works perfectly and they should be pleased with their efforts for sure.

My only gripe is how the fuck do they think this tutorial is any use 🤣🤣. Its a constant barrage of info that most humans will never retain once the window is closed.

The UI is surprisingly good, easy to get around with just a few taps of the trigger. With my review the only slight against the game I had was it doesn't ease you in at all, that tutorial you mentioned was absolutely naff thinking back to it. Once you actually get into the game you realise it only explained a fraction of what was to come :messenger_grinning_sweat: I'm just enjoying trying to do something as the Isle of Man. Furthest I've got is about 90 years until some goyt claims the island and sends a huge army to crush my measly rabble of levies & light troops

killatopak

Gold Member
Played this way before knowing it will have a console release.

Learning curve is VERY steep and a lot of stuff isn’t explained by the tutorial or the in game codex. It is very complex but also very rewarding for those that play it.

I really don’t know how consoles will handle end game since in my style of play, it lags out so much on PC even with a beefy rig. Also doesn’t help that I have thousands of my dynasty members roaming around the world.

Hari Seldon

I seriously think the console version is bugged. Honestly, it feels like I can't do ANYTHING. I'm just looking at the map screen with no meaningful options whatsoever. I can't declare war, I can't talk with other rulers, I can't manage anything. I basically just watch the map being painted in different colours. That's it, the game "plays" itself and I'm standing on the side watching the game having fun with itself (just like my sex life).
So yes the game does play itself. This game is more like a one of those Football Manager games, only instead of a sports team you are simulating a Feudal family. It is nothing like Civ or other 4x games other than having a map. You have to set your own goals and figure out how to accomplish them.

The key unique concept to this game is that It is a feudal simulator, where you play as the head of your family. You have a limit on the lands you personally can own (your demesne size), which is determined by one of your personal stats and by tech and laws. So even if you are the King of France, if your demesne limit is 5, you get the King title and 4 other titles. A duke with 6 titles actually might be more powerful than you, depending on a ton of shit (including alliances). The most important thing to understand is this: You do not have absolute control over your feudal subjects. If you are a duke and a count reports to you, even if the count likes you, the amount of troops and taxes that the count provides you will start out super small and only increase as you unlock tech and laws.

This demesne concept may seem trivial but it is like 50% of the game or more. The smallest title in the land is a barony, of which there are three types: Castles (produce levies), Cities (produce taxes), and Church lands (mix of both). Nobility (i.e. you) only owns the castles - you have to give the other titles away if you acquire them or suffer penalties. In addition to baronies, there are counties (that contain at least 2 baronies), duchies (that contain at least 2 counties), kingdoms (contain at least 2 duchies), and empires (contain at least 2 kingdoms). Each of these count as 1 title to your demesne limit. So this may seem like well just get the highest titles possible for the most power, but this is sort of right but mostly wrong. If you say had 5 empires, you would be like the UN, a ton of power on paper but no actual men directly controllable by you. You would be completely reliant on kissing the ass of your sub-kings, who in turn need to kiss the ass of their dukes, who in turn need to kiss the ass of their counts (etc. etc.).

The biggest way to keep everyone happy is to respect the De Jure areas. Say you are a King, but own a county in one of your Duke's De Jure Duchies. That Duke is going to be extremely pissed at you. This is a huge balancing act, because that county might be super wealthy and you don't want to give it to him. If you don't understand De Jure, basically it is a concept that the Duchies and above in the game have historical boundaries. As an example, if the US went to a feudal system where each state's governer was now a Duke. If the Duke of Texas owned Orange County in CA, the Duke of CA is going to be extremely pissed. That is what the De Jure concept is.

And the fun thing is that this entire dynamic changes over the course of the game as tech unlocks different laws. And wait until the first time you conquer a bunch of shit but your early game succession laws totally fuck you over lmao.

I haven't played the console version, but typically Paradox tutorials only really cover the interface and not "strategy"; i.e. how to achieve goals or how to even define achievable goals. For this you should consult youtube or ask questions.

GenericUser

I hope they let us increase the text size. I had to move my couch 4 feet closer to the TV.
I have exactly the opposite of this problem. The text is so huge, that it often gets cut off in the menus and there is no way to scroll down sometimes, strange.

Hari Seldon Hari Seldon

thanks. I will try my best to understand the game.

Last edited:

Nico_D

Jesus this game is complex. Or I don't even know if it is that complex, I just don't have a clue what I could be doing or how to do it. Whether my army is bigger than my neighbors, how to more money when I don't have money to build new buildings, how to get more fame and so on and so on.

It's interesting though.

MoLAoS

Neo Member
I have CK2 and tons of DLC. I'd like to play a game similar that maybe varies a bit in mechanics. What are my best options for something like CK2-3? I suppose you could argue Kudos 2 for character stuff or something, or maybe The Sims: Medieval. I'd like something with fantasy but I can't think of anything close. I probably wouldn't count Long Live The Queen since it is more on rails.

GenericUser

Jesus this game is complex. Or I don't even know if it is that complex, I just don't have a clue what I could be doing or how to do it. Whether my army is bigger than my neighbors, how to more money when I don't have money to build new buildings, how to get more fame and so on and so on.

It's interesting though.
@ armies: just click on the enemy and you'll see the numbe of troops he has. You also need to check his allies. I once started a war with someone who was way less powerful then me, but was allied to the king of france. You know how it went ...
@ money for buildings: I mostly ignore building stuff right now. I watched a video on youtube were the guy said that you should not mess with building stuff early on, because they are way to expensive.

@getting more fame: when you press L3 and move the curser over the fame number in the upper left corner, it will tell you which factors impact your fame. I accidently declined to join a war of my ally and my fame plummeted.

I played like 10- 15h so far and I like it. The hours fly by while I'm trying to establish an empire. Cool game, but a steep learning curve. I wonder if it's intentional, because the tutorial COULD tell you way more then it actually does.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I am really enjoying the game so far even though there is much I don't understand and all my kingdoms have failed in the second generation.

Nico_D

Kinda figuring it out, continued from the tutorial and I'm the king of Ireland now. My original character died and the next in line has lousy skills, Stewardship 3.

I have tried assassinations and seducing other people's wives. What a game.

Top Bottom