• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CryEngine open sourced

Kayant

Interesting given iirc it's was kinda there but in private repos seems weird they would just do this now.

Some clarifications, as I see a lot of misinformation ads speculation here:

- We have today released engine source code of CRYENGINE (latest build being last week's 5.1) on GitHub

- The GitHub release today is new, but we announced at GDC back in March that we would release full engine source code under our new "Pay What You Want" business model

- Commercial games: If you so chose, you can take the engine and make a full commercial game for free, yes. There are no royalties or obligations towards CRYENGINE, though contributions to the engine's development and/ or our Indie Development Fund are more than welcome

- EULA: I usually give ESRB ratings as an example. If your game would get a "M" (or 18 in Europe), it is fine. If there is content that would require it to be rated "Adult's Only", chances are it violates our EULA.

- Licensees: There are more indie developers than ever using CE for their games these days, and also some unannounced titles from larger companies...

I hope this clears it up. Shoot if you have any questions :)

jediyoshi

OM31NJU.png

OBias

EDIT: Oh, is this CryEngine1?

This is the latest one.

The summary of the license terms by one of the developers:
The license is basically you can use the engine for free with no royalties. Our model is Pay What You Want: https://www.cryengine.com/get-cryengine

Basically you pay whatever you want, if you want, and have a choice of how much of that goes to the developers and how much goes to an Indie Fund that we use to fund indie projects that use the engine.

We also offer "Insider Memberships" (https://www.cryengine.com/get-cryengine/service-packages) for studios that want some closer support from us, trainings, etc.

It seems to be a lot like Red Hat's business model.

This is amazing and unexpected. Especially with Amazon releasing their own branch of the engine under Lumberyard.

This is the latest one.

That's even more amazing. This is outright mindblowing.

tuxfool

Banned
This was already announced a while back, during GDC. They said that they were going to allow full source access to the engine.

This is the latest one.

It seems to be a lot like Red Hat's business model.

That's even more amazing. This is outright mindblowing.

My programmer team-mate on my current project has major reservations about the license, though, since the license explicitly states that Crytek can change it whenever they want, however they want, which lets them do stuff like force devs to pay royalties when they couldn't before, if they wanted to.

Peltz

I wish people wouldn't refer to this as Open Source. It isn't.

It is full source access but you're still bound by their license, as opposed to a copyleft license.
What in the world is a copyleft license?

Edit: I googled it and learned something new. Never came across this phrase before today.

Onemic

How would you come to that conclusion? As far as I checked it is the current version at least not some legacy version

Because it just says CryEngine with no indication of which version. Based on what theyve said before about following UE4's model I'd expect it to be CryEngine 4 though.

A license that allows you to retain ownership and modifications of the code. I'm referring specifically to OSI approved licenses like MIT, BSD, GPL etc.

MIT and BSD aren't copyleft. GPL is copyleft because it requires derivative works to be released under an equivalent license.

My programmer team-mate on my current project has major reservations about the license, though, since the license explicitly states that Crytek can change it whenever they want, however they want, which lets them do stuff like force devs to pay royalties when they couldn't before, if they wanted to.

Yeah, I was looking at their licensing agreement, and it is a bit wacky. It seems like they want to do this but they also have some reserves about letting their baby go out into the wild.

This one is a bit bizarre:

"use the CryEngine for the development of any Games which are harmful, abusive, racially or ethnically offensive, vulgar, sexually explicit, defamatory, infringing, invasive of personal privacy or publicity rights, or in a reasonable person's view, objectionable;"

I get why they are protective in this manor, bit it is a bit strange and very subjective in some cases.

But overall, this is still more positive than negative.

Writing is on the wall for them. It seems to be a UE4 world now. Are there any major games coming in the near future that use CryEngine?

This one is a bit bizarre:

"use the CryEngine for the development of any Games which are harmful, abusive, racially or ethnically offensive, vulgar, sexually explicit, defamatory, infringing, invasive of personal privacy or publicity rights, or in a reasonable person's view, objectionable;"

Well then that's the end of my racist, sexist, nude, spwyare infested puzzle game.

Writing is on the wall for them. It seems to be a UE4 world now. Are there any major games coming in the near future that use CryEngine?

There still seems to be some CryEngine 3, 4 and 5 games in development: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CryEngine_games

Well then that's the end of my racist, sexist, nude, spwyare infested puzzle game.

Heh. But they should be a little more specific with regulations, maybe go by ERSB definitions? Anything that could garnish an M rating should be fine, but AO territory things are out.

panzone

I wish people wouldn't refer to this as Open Source. It isn't.

It is full source access but you're still bound by their license, as opposed to a copyleft license.

Nop, those are free software. Open source doesn't require a copyleft license.

Com_Raven

- We have today released engine source code of CRYENGINE (latest build being last week's 5.1) on GitHub

- The GitHub release today is new, but we announced at GDC back in March that we would release full engine source code under our new "Pay What You Want" business model

- Commercial games: If you so chose, you can take the engine and make a full commercial game for free, yes. There are no royalties or obligations towards CRYENGINE, though contributions to the engine's development and/ or our Indie Development Fund are more than welcome

- EULA: I usually give ESRB ratings as an example. If your game would get a "M" (or 18 in Europe), it is fine. If there is content that would require it to be rated "Adult's Only", chances are it violates our EULA.

- Licensees: There are more indie developers than ever using CE for their games these days, and also some unannounced titles from larger companies...

tuxfool

Banned
Nop, those are free software. Open source doesn't require a copyleft license.

Yeah, should have added Free license too. As defined by wikipedia

Open-source software (OSS) is computer software with its source code made available with a license in which the copyright holder provides the rights to study, change, and distribute the software to anyone and for any purpose

This doesn't fall under all of those principles. Whether that matters is, of course, up in the air.

Calabi

Doesnt this mean anyone could just use their engine without paying for it? You could just pretend your using another engine. Or like the great chinese enterprises, copy/clone it and change parts so as not to be seen infringing.

Danlord

Quick question, why don't you want adult only rated games using CryEngine?

tuxfool

Banned
Doesnt this mean anyone could just use their engine without paying for it? You could just pretend your using another engine. Or like the great chinese enterprises, copy/clone it and change parts so as not to be seen infringing.

No more than one could do the same for UE4.

OBias

You don't even have to pretend anything, it's royalty-free already.

Com_Raven

Quick question, why don't you want adult only rated games using CryEngine?

At the end of the day, there are just certain things and games that we as a company don't want to be associated with.

In that case however, we are talking about hardcore adult content, or racist etc stuff. Our very own Ryse, for example, certainly didn't skimp on the violence or nudity.

Top Bottom