• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CryEngine 'turns to next-gen target systems', 50 CryEngine Games In Dev, More In 2012

Develop-online said:
No need to build CryEngine 4', Crytek executive claims
A group of unnamed developers are specifically working on next-generation game projects with CryEngine 3, according to the tech’s vendor Crytek.

CryEngine business executive Carl Jones said studios “are already using CryEngine 3 for games with target platforms significantly higher in power than the current-gen consoles”.
Develop understands that a range of studios are currently building titles for Microsoft’s successor to the Xbox 360. In some cases, dev houses have spent more than a year on various projects.

Several internal Sony studios, meanwhile, have begun early work on PlayStation 4 projects. However there is little evidence that third-party companies have access to the future console.
In October, Develop published a report drawn from a range of sources within the middleware sector that pointed to an E3 2013 unveiling of the so-called Xbox 720. Since then it had been rumoured, and subsequently denied, that Microsoft will reveal the system this July in Los Angeles.

“We've been planning for next gen development since we started CryEngine 3,” he said.

“We'll be showing more on this during 2012. We don't need to rebuild our engine to deal with higher spec gaming devices, which will come on line in the next few years.”

There are currently about 50 commercial CryEngine games projects in production, the Crytek exec said.

Link

Lancehead

I would think if they can get Crysis 2 post Direct X 11-level graphics on consoles, then it'd be a big leap. Perhaps that's why no need for CryEngine 4 yet.

whitehawk

Banned
Wait...
Develop understands that a range of studios are currently building titles for Microsoft’s successor to the Xbox 360. In some cases, dev houses have spent more than a year on various projects.
Doesn't this revive the rumour of a 2012 release?

Well if Crytek see the jump as significant, maybe we'll get a decent leap after all.

Some of us never doubted t.

There's really never been anything but completely unsourced speculation otherwise.

However, I have a feeling Epic will big time win the PR war if they're touting "all new UE4!" while Crytek is touting "uhh, next gen Cryengine 3!". The former just seems a lot cooler regardless of reality. And branding/marketing/perception is half the battle.

Plus the Samaritan demo, another master PR stroke for Epic.

KageMaru

Can it be E3 already so we can stop these rumours?

There's literally one a week, now.

lol they won't stop even after E3. If anything they'll ramp up until E3 2013 IMO

Yup. I'm kind of excited.

Yeah these dev comments are always welcome, but I'm still not getting my hopes up yet. =p

How sad is it that every previous generation, I was very excited to see what next gen could bring to the table. However now that it looks like all 3 will play it safe next gen, I'm keeping my expectations rather low just so I'm not disappointed. Would love to dream about 12 core CPUs, monster GPUs, and 4GB of memory but I know that's not realistic so I'm just playing the waiting game.

I'm more interested to see what Sony and MS do with their next consoles than dreaming of outlandish possibilities that will never become reality.

But Pachter said that MS hasn't even given out any dev kits yet and we won't have new consoles until 2014.

I just can't imagine him being wrong about something...

kadotsu

Banned
CryEngine 3 already looks plenty good on my PC but it lacks some key features like a good AI based inverse kinematics engine for believable animation. They also could improve their MP middle-ware suite to something that can compete with Bungie, Valve or Media Molecule. We've already seen some steps in that direction with gface.

McHuj

Wait...Doesn't this revive the rumour of a 2012 release?

Probably not, but I'm thinking Spring 2013 is becoming a bigger possibility. If the statement is true, then by spring 2013, some devs will have been working on stuff for 2 years. That also implies a potentially strong launch lineup (would be a first) and not a rushed launch.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Crysis 2 looks great on PC and so I'm quite happy with the level of graphics fidelity. I think it's also worth mentioning (especially after the disappointing rumor that UE4 will run at 720p) that CE3 has more potential of hitting 1080p & 60 fps. It would be nice to have an engine, that not only looked different but that focused on performance and not how many effects they can throw at you.

KageMaru

Wait...Doesn't this revive the rumour of a 2012 release?

Not at all.

There's really never been anything but completely unsourced speculation otherwise.

However, I have a feeling Epic will big time win the PR war if they're touting "all new UE4!" while Crytek is touting "uhh, next gen Cryengine 3!". The former just seems a lot cooler regardless of reality. And branding/marketing/perception is half the battle.

Honestly, I think some people should start doubting some things. It's hard for me to read any next gen thread around here because it seem like some people are still expecting monster machines when we'll get a much more modest jump next gen. It doesn't matter if it's Sony or MS, I think people will be disappointed with their expectations.

Also, PR and marketing mostly works for the mass market consumer and they don't care what engine a game runs on. Developers are far less likely to fall for PR so if CE3 offers better tools, libraries, and results than UE4, it's possible that may become the de facto license engine next gen. I see UE4 being much more than just UE3 with DX11 support, so it'll be interesting to see which engine wins more developer support next gen.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm starting to think that PS4 is going to be significantly later then Xbox720.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions

Crytek have been saying CE3 was "next gen ready" since they announced it so you can't say that weren't thinking ahead. Although it's running on current systems, it's obvious that it needs more power to really get it looking good. Besides, this can give devs more incentive to use CE3. If they can make a game spread across 6 platforms (360/PS3/PC/Wii U/Xbox 720 & PS4) I would think it would be very appealing.

KageMaru

I'm starting to think that PS4 is going to be significantly later then Xbox720.

I keep reading this but didn't Sony state they want to launch alongside the competition and not after next gen?

I don't see the Ps4 launching any later than 2013. I can see how MS and Sony can combat the Wii-U for a year, but I don't see how Sony alone can combat both the Wii-U and 720 for an another year on top of that. There is no strategic advantage to launching later in this situation.

Why no mention to Wii U?

Seeing how CE3 already runs on the Ps360, I wouldn't be surprised if it's already running on Wii-U, but I still wouldn't expect them to specifically mention the system quite yet.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Everyone thinks this means a bigger jump? A 2012 release of nexbox really increase the chance of it being closer to wiiu. Like ign's 6x increase of the 360, 20% stronger then wiiu.

Crytek's all about intricate graphics.

I remember reading Crytek was impressed with the wiiu.

GDGF

Soothsayer

KageMaru

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sigh... I just want to see some next-gen footage already. Hell, last gen we had games like Dark Sector that were shown years before the console it came out on was even unveiled.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Everyone thinks this means a bigger jump? A 2012 release of nexbox really increase the chance of it being closer to wiiu. Like ign's 6x increase of the 360, 20% stronger then wiiu.

Going off the threads around here, Sony is the only one I think may have a massive jump. Key word is may. Xbox Next may be more powerful than 6x 360 as well. If it is as powerful as rumors suggest, wouldn't that still be powerful enough to run Crysis 2 at 1080p and 60 fps? That's pretty good imo.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Going off the threads around here, Sony is the only one I think may have a massive jump. Key word is may. Xbox Next may be more powerful than 6x 360 as well. If it is as powerful as rumors suggest, wouldn't that still be powerful enough to run Crysis 2 at 1080p and 60 fps? That's pretty good imo.

Good for everyone but GAFFERS Less then a 10times jump is a kids toy.

I keep reading this but didn't Sony state they want to launch alongside the competition and not after next gen?

I don't see the Ps4 launching any later than 2013. I can see how MS and Sony can combat the Wii-U for a year, but I don't see how Sony alone can combat both the Wii-U and 720 for an another year on top of that. There is no strategic advantage to launching later in this situation.

They are putting way too much into Vita to be able to put out another console along with launch games in 2013. They have to make money at some point.

saladine1

Sigh... I just want to see some next-gen footage already. Hell, last gen we had games like Dark Sector that were shown years before the console it came out on was even unveiled.

As amazing as recent games look, I've still yet to feel the way I did when I first saw PGR 3 and Fight Night at the 360 launch.
I want that feeling again maaan...I needs me a next gen fix maaan....*itches*..

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
As amazing as recent games look, I've still yet to feel the way I did when I first saw PGR 3 and Fight Night at the 360 launch.
I want that feeling again maaan...I needs me a next gen fix maaan....*itches*..

Exactly, I'm really looking forward to that feeling again. Just show stuff already :mad:!

Top Bottom