• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CryEngine 'turns to next-gen target systems', 50 CryEngine Games In Dev, More In 2012

KageMaru

Sigh... I just want to see some next-gen footage already. Hell, last gen we had games like Dark Sector that were shown years before the console it came out on was even unveiled.

A character model was shown a couple years, but we all saw how that game turned out. =p

All you can find now are tech demos and those are mostly worthless.

They are putting way too much into Vita to be able to put out another console along with launch games in 2013. They have to make money at some point.

So you believe they'll launch the ps4 a year after the 720 and two years after the Wii-U?

I understand your logic here but didn't they basically do the same thing with the PSP and PS3?

Any benefits would be outweighed by the drawbacks IMO.

xHAASx

Banned
Everyone thinks this means a bigger jump? A 2012 release of nexbox really increase the chance of it being closer to wiiu. Like ign's 6x increase of the 360, 20% stronger then wiiu.

I remember reading Crytek was impressed with the wiiu.

At the moment when PS4 and X720 are disclosed..

ArjanN

Sigh... I just want to see some next-gen footage already. Hell, last gen we had games like Dark Sector that were shown years before the console it came out on was even unveiled.

Funny, because Dark Sector was absolutely nothing like that early video.

But yeah, whenever new consoles come out tends to be a pretty exciting time. I don't really expect to see anything for another year though.

You could always look at some of the higher end PC games, if you want to see what next-gen consoles will look like.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I don't know if it's diminishing returns or not, but I think we're getting to a point where it's getting harder and harder to tell the effect of more powerful hardware. I remember when this gen started how disappointed a lot of people were with the graphics. A lot of people thought it looked like hi-res PS2 games. People wanted to see HL2 and Doom 3 level graphics but it took awhile to get there. I think it'll happen again, but starting out at Crysis level graphics next gen isn't a bad thing at all.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Funny, because Dark Sector was absolutely nothing like that early video.

But yeah, whenever new consoles come out tends to be a pretty exciting time. I don't really expect to see anything for another year though.

You could always look at some of the higher end PC games, if you want to see what next-gen consoles will look like.

You will see wiiu games in less then a year, it is next gen. Crytek will have games for it. Even though the wiiu will be powerful, generations have nothing to do with power.

Jonm1010

Banned
A character model was shown a couple years, but we all saw how that game turned out. =p

All you can find now are tech demos and those are mostly worthless.

So you believe they'll launch the ps4 a year after the 720 and two years after the Wii-U?

I understand your logic here but didn't they basically do the same thing with the PSP and PS3?

Any benefits would be outweighed by the drawbacks IMO.

If Sony designs their console this time with the idea that it should make money day one, the hit from coming out last this time won't be nearly as bad financially speaking.

If they play their cards really right they can go the way of Nintendo ala GameCube - lower sales but still profitable for the company.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I keep reading this but didn't Sony state they want to launch alongside the competition and not after next gen?

Given that many folks have reported Xbox720 dev kits but no one has seen or even heard of a rumour of a PS4 devkit puts PS4 behind already.

KageMaru

And how did that turn out?

True, but I think there were other factors that were much more significant in how that all turned out. Sony was confident they had the industry in the palm of their hand and made some big judgement errors. I don't see them making the same mistakes again.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
If Sony designs their console this time with the idea that it should make money day one, the hit from coming out last this time won't be nearly as bad financially speaking.

If they play their cards really right they can go the way of Nintendo ala GameCube - lower sales but still profitable for the company.

I'm beginning to think they're going to do exactly what Nintendo did with the move from GC to Wii. I think a Cell CPU and Blu-Ray are pretty much locked in with full BC, so the only question is how much more powerful will the GPU be over Wii U/Nextbox. If Vita is any indication and the power rumors of Wii U/Nextbox are true, PS4 could take the graphics crown next gen.

Given that many folks have reported Xbox720 dev kits but no one has seen or even heard of a rumour of a PS4 devkit puts PS4 behind already.

Ummm, there have been PS4 rumors, there is one in the develop article in the OP.

Personally I believe PS4 could easily be day and date with Xbox 720. There's no real evidence either is any closer to fruition (slightly more on Xbox side, but Sony will be capable of more secrecy so I believe a "surprise" launch is more likely from them)

I'm beginning to think they're going to do exactly what Nintendo did with the move from GC to Wii. I think a Cell CPU and Blu-Ray are pretty much locked in with full BC, so the only question is how much more powerful will the GPU be over Wii U/Nextbox. If Vita is any indication and the power rumors of Wii U/Nextbox are true, PS4 could take the graphics crown next gen.

Given Sony's financial condition and recent downgraded credit rating, I dont think they're in any position to lose a lot of money on PS4 hardware, so I dont think it's going to set any power records.

For that matter Microsoft can easily outpower Sony if it comes to a hardware $ battle.

In the end I wouldn't bet against the next xbox being the most powerful console of the three.

When Vita dev kits were out Sony couldn't control all the leaks.

Once they get in Western third parties hands, yeah. That's when the leaks will be inevitable. Just like with the Wii U.

But wasn't Vita leaked maybe just like one year before it's actual release? We should look at that for potential PS4 timelines.

Jonm1010

Banned
Given Sony's financial condition and recent downgraded credit rating, I dont think they're in any position to lose a lot of money on PS4 hardware, so I dont think it's going to set any power records.

For that matter Microsoft can easily outpower Sony if it comes to a hardware $ battle.

In the end I wouldn't bet against the next xbox being the most powerful console of the three.

I think it will all come down to how much Microsoft is willing to invest in power. The rumors are all over the map at this point. If their determined to have a touch screen controller and included kinect in every box like some rumors suggest, It'd be hard to believe they would also be going all out on power as well.

However either way I think if Sony is releasing a year plus later they can in all likelihood put a little more power in their system and still release without taking an initial loss on each console. Even if it's just a slightly better gpu/CPU and/or a little more ram.

Unless Microsoft surprises the shit out of everyone and releases some sort of beast console in order to just demolish all competition - which I don't see happening.

KageMaru

They can do that no matter what year they launch. =p

Maybe they don't care about marketshare or becoming the development platform of choice, but it would be odd if either were actually true IMO.

The rumors have been so off base and varied that they can mean anything IMO. "dev working on 720 target specs" can mean MS is actively discussing their plans with studios and they are working off of targeted specs based on these discussions.

It could mean many things really, I'm not going to base console launch theories on some rumors.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions

Let's take this into the PS4 thread! I don't want to derail this one.

As far as CE3 is concerned. There was some footage of a pine forest they showed off. I really hope they work that and the wheat field into their next game.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The rumors have been so off base and varied that they can mean anything IMO. "dev working on 720 target specs" can mean MS is actively discussing their plans with studios and they are working off of targeted specs based on these discussions.

It could mean many things really, I'm not going to base console launch theories on some rumors.

No. I'm talking about folks that have seen real actual Xbox720 devkits. They are out there in the real world. Unlike PS4 devkits. There are not even rumours that such hardware actually physically exists.

No. I'm talking about folks that have seen real actual Xbox720 devkits. They are out there in the real world. Unlike PS4 devkits. There are not even rumours that such hardware actually physically exists.

We have no significant proof that anybody has or dont have a nextgen kit from ms/sony

We've barely seen what CE3 is even capable of so I can't wait to see what devs come up with for next gen on it.

Crysis 2 would have been a better showcase, but they seemed to rush the game out the door and the heavy focus on console side tracked them.
iD Software and Rage anyone?

Anyway, Cry Engine 3 seemed to have been more of an optimization upgrade. We'll have to see what else they add.

KageMaru

Care to share who these folks are exactly?

I haven't seen anything other than rumors regarding MS and Sony's platforms.

cyberheater

Care to share who these folks are exactly?

Nope. I'm not about to trawl through loads of recent threads on here to prove that folks have said they've had Xbox 720 dev kit since Nov.

I've not heard a single unverified hint of actual PS4 dev kit which makes me think they are some ways behind.

Nope. I'm not about to trawl through loads of recent threads on here to prove that folks have said they've had Xbox 720 dev kit since Nov.

I've not heard a single unverified hint of actual PS4 dev kit which makes me think they are some ways behind.

So you have nothing more than rumors from super-secret-squirel sources. Cool.

guek

Banned
We have no significant proof that anybody has or dont have a nextgen kit from ms/sony

Just because current rumors do not support your desire for Sony hardware to be released within a competitive time frame does not mean the prevalence or absence of rumors shouldn't at the very least be taken into consideration when speculating on the probable time frame of release for both MS and Sony consoles. Yes, it is all speculation, and yes rumors don't qualify as confirmation of anything, but that doesn't mean all rumors should be disregarded entirely.

i-Lo

This. Crysis was merely a graphical spectacle.

Last I checked we weren't discussing the personal feelings towards the game itself in this thread.

Anyway, iirc one of the strengths of the engine was that clipping of interacting objects were kept to a minimum. The Samaritan demo featured UE's Apex Clothing tech for the same purpose. I really hope they keep on building on it.

I assume we'd be seeing something from Crytek this E3, be it for WiiU or another next-gen console. I just wonder how much of what was put in Crysis 1 back in 07 can be possible with the next gen consoles.

spanks

I hear the Crytek UK guys are also very eager to finally unveil their efforts. And by "efforts", I mean an actual Wii U game running on CryEngine 3.

And by "an actual Wii U game", you mean Timesplitters 4, exclusive to Wii U in Q4 2012.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Crysis 2 would have been a better showcase, but they seemed to rush the game out the door and the heavy focus on console side tracked them.
iD Software and Rage anyone?

Anyway, Cry Engine 3 seemed to have been more of an optimization upgrade. We'll have to see what else they add.

I think CE3 & Crysis 2 running on current systems is good for devs though. That way, they aren't forced to only develop for next gen systems. It shows how scalable the engine is.

Even if CE3 is just an optimized CE2, is that such a bad thing? Crysis is still one of the best looking games made and it came out in 2007.

This. Crysis was merely a graphical spectacle.
I think he was referring to Crysis 2 not being as good as the others. Crysis was more than just a graphical spectacle. It had great game play as well.

Just because current rumors do not support your desire for Sony hardware to be released within a competitive time frame does not mean the prevalence or absence of rumors shouldn't at the very least be taken into consideration when speculating on the probable time frame of release for both MS and Sony consoles. Yes, it is all speculation, and yes rumors don't qualify as confirmation of anything, but that doesn't mean all rumors should be disregarded entirely.

WTF are you even talking about? Sony has said themselves that they are not letting anybody getting another head start on them, like they did this year. I'll take that over rumors anyday.

KageMaru

They are all rumors and mean very little in the grand scheme of things since they vary so differently at times. We had plenty of early rumors regarding the ps3 last gen but it still launched last, so that doesn't really tell us anything.

xHAASx

Banned
Last I checked we weren't discussing the personal feelings towards the game itself in this thread.

Anyway, iirc one of the strengths of the engine was that clipping of interacting objects were kept to a minimum. The Samaritan demo featured UE's Apex Clothing tech for the same purpose. I really hope they keep on building on it.

I assume we'd be seeing something from Crytek this E3, be it for WiiU or another next-gen console. I just wonder how much of what was put in Crysis 1 back in 07 can be possible with the next gen consoles.

Right, I'll exclude the greater number's appraisal of Crysis.

Karak

WTF are you even talking about? Sony has said themselves that they are not letting anybody getting another head start on them, like they did this year. I'll take that over rumors anyday.

Actually that means nothing. Companies can not just turn around and decide to release something early. We could go on and on for days about the setup of a console system and what has to be done, or not done(RROD), to successfully release a system. Sony may desire to release at the same time, or MS may desire to release at the same time. But they can't magically wish it and make it be so. Simply looking at fab processing and the work that goes into that alone bears that out to be fact. That ignores the other issues such as testing, games, dev time, and specific chipset issues that may occur depending on their production rates(actual consoles finalized)

All companies have their own internal timelines which they "hope" are setup within the general timeframe of others but releasing to a spec that they desire requires far more than a coveted wish blurted out to prove a point. There is a great deal of actual physical work that needs to be done.

Actually that means nothing. Companies can not just turn around and decide to release something early. We could go on and on for days about the setup of a console system and what has to be done, or not done(RROD), to successfully release a system. Sony may desire to release at the same time, or MS may desire to release at the same time. But they can't magically wish it and make it be so. Simply looking at fab processing and the work that goes into that alone bears that out to be fact.

They have their own internal timelines which they "hope" are setup within the general timeframe of others but releasing to a spec that they desire requires far more than a coveted wish blurted out to prove a point. There is a great deal of actual physical work that needs to be done.

How does it mean nothing? Im sure by now Sony knows what it takes to make a console. For them to say that when at least one console is confirmed to be on the way would suggest that they are well underway with their plans.

Top Bottom