• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CryEngine 'turns to next-gen target systems', 50 CryEngine Games In Dev, More In 2012

i-Lo

Right, I'll exclude the greater number's appraisal of Crysis.

An appraisal for the tech side is fine as it is relevant to the topic at hand, i.e. Cryengine.

How does it mean nothing? Im sure by now Sony knows what it takes to make a console. For them to say that when at least one console is confirmed to be on the way would suggest that they are well underway with their plans.

This leads me to believe that they are holding out for something before handing over the dev kits to third party devs or that the NDA might be iron clad.

And by "an actual Wii U game", you mean Timesplitters 4, exclusive to Wii U in Q4 2012.

If it had an easier to use MapMaker (via the subscreen controller or even using the Wii Remote pointer), then I would be hyped enough to buy the system in its release window, even if it has a price higher than what I'd normally be comfortable with. Ye gods, my friends and I had so much fun with Future Perfect!

Karak

How does it mean nothing? Im sure by now Sony knows what it takes to make a console. For them to say that when at least one console is confirmed to be on the way would suggest that they are well underway with their plans.

Sony does know what it takes. Which is 100% why they should never have got into the hyperbole of stating something so out of synch with what actually occurs. Their timeline is a specific timeline they have internally and though shortcuts can be made, and lets be honest that's what they are is shortcuts, they can't magically make things occur that allows them to suddenly release their system spec at an earlier timeframe. Companies can't exist like that. It is the very definition of magic to decide something will exist before it does and thinking it just will pop into existence at your whim.

Now if they were going with a POS that was a cobbled together PC, or tech they have currently. Sure maybe. But even then they magically have ignored the various issues with console tech fabrication such as OS, case, features, heating, power, specific chipsets, budgeting, contracts, specific timelines within other suppliers for parts, fabrication speeds and so many others. And that's if they just wanted something current to today's features which would be a unique proposition coming from Sony.
It would be impossible if they wanted something with parts that were not made yet. They can't just wake up and say AH HA this part is now created and wish it to be and have it on store shelves. Dev kits aren't finalized kits and actual systems require a completely different first run process for fabrication. From then on you can start to create optimizations. Again this is assuming they aren't putting together a current tech item with your local Best Buy's parts. This is assuming its a Sony project.

Its a process. Sony does know how to do many things. Speaking realistically is not always one of them.
FYI this all goes for all the companies. Every step has to be taken to get to the next one.

The only assumption that can be made is that they all have a general target for system technology upon their systems release and will have timelines set up for those particular technologies needed. Sony, any company, should really just shoot for their technology mark and create a holistic system based on their own target. No need for a dreaded Saturn solution.

Krilekk

Banned

Well, they don't stop working on those projects. They basically have a prototype in development each and every year so that if they have to release something they'll be ready within a year or so.

Sony does know what it takes. Which is 100% why they should never have got into the hyperbole of stating something so out of synch with what actually occurs. Their timeline is a specific timeline they have internally and though shortcuts can be made, and lets be honest that's what they are is shortcuts, they can't magically make things occur that allows them to suddenly release their system spec at an earlier timeframe. Companies can't exist like that. It is the very definition of magic to decide something will exist before it does and thinking it just will pop into existence at your whim.

Now if they were going with a POS that was a cobbled together PC. Sure maybe. But even then they magically have ignored the various issues with console tech fabrication such as OS, case, features, heating, power, specific chipsets, budgeting, contracts, specific timelines within other suppliers for parts, fabrication speeds and so many others. And that's if they just wanted something current to today's features which would be a unique proposition coming from Sony. It would be impossible if they wanted something with parts that were not made yet. They can't just wake up and say AH HA this part is now created and wish it to be.

Its a process. Sony does know how to do many things. Speaking realistically is not always one of them.

Why are you assuming so confidently that they have nothing? When what they are actually saying points to the contrary?

Basing your thoughts on inconsistent rumors is disengenuous.

Karak

This leads me to believe that they are holding out for something before handing over the dev kits to third party devs.

Lets hope not. Because then you have an even worse problem. Devs that have to rush because you aimed for someone else's target.

Karak

Why are you assuming so confidently that they have nothing? When what they are actually saying points to the contrary?

Basing your thoughts on inconsistent rumors is disingenuous.

You are posting about public speaking presidents stating typical company hyperbole. I don't always believe them. But I do believe the facts of the process.

I am stating the facts of fabricating a future based system. Look it up if you don't believe me. Its not like its something that can be argued. Nothing disingenuous about that. In fact you used the wrong word for the issue and it has nothing to do with rumors or thoughts. It has to do with the very scientific processes involved.

Again that's if its a Sony project.

Also I don't think they have nothing. Never said that. I said they have their own internal target and pretending that it can be sped up, if based on future technology, is a downright lie. I would feel the same way if MS said something stupid like that.

Karak

Well, they don't stop working on those projects. They basically have a prototype in development each and every year so that if they have to release something they'll be ready within a year or so.

This is correct and speaks to the problem at hand. If MS came out at an E3 and said we are done and our system is coming out in 6 months. That is 6 months that Sony would have to figure out a way to shortcut through and that is if they are ready to go at the drop of a hat and if they aren't you now either get a system that isn't what their original technology plan called for or a delay. And that is if they have 0 problems in their processes, rollout and already have their kits side by side with MS's and if those kits mirror the system that will now be released 6 months early. For example lets say the GPU process for a higher ranked card can't be specced in that time-frame.

I guess I could just sum it up with. I don't believe in magic:)
I am of course assuming we are all talking about day and date side by side releases for systems here.

You are posting about public speaking presidents stating typical company hyperbole. I don't always believe them. But I do believe the facts of the process.

I am stating the facts of fabricating a future based system. Look it up if you don't believe me. Its not like its something that can be argued. Nothing disingenuous about that. In fact you used the wrong word for the issue and it has nothing to do with rumors or thoughts. It has to do with the very scientific processes involved.

Again that's if its a Sony project.

Also I don't think they have nothing. Never said that. I said they have their own internal target and pretending that it can be sped up, if based on future technology, is a downright lie. I would feel the same way if MS said something stupid like that.

LOL what?

Hyperbole? Do you work at Sony or something because you seem to know alot about their internal plans? Who said anything about a future based system? Maybe you're not the one basing the thoughts on rumors but the guy I originally quoted was. You budding in leads me to believe you agree so yes, its quite disingenenous.

Unless you know sony's internal plans dictated launching alot latter than the next couple years please quit trying to explain to me a process that I already know about.

And yes, im quite sure a Sony console would be a Sony project.

guek

Banned
WTF are you even talking about? Sony has said themselves that they are not letting anybody getting another head start on them, like they did this year. I'll take that over rumors anyday.

That is not confirmation of anything, despite how ardently you'd like to believe the contrary. Is Sony planning for a 2013 release? Are they going to be completely reactionary in deciding when to launch their new console? These are unanswerable questions. Sony's current timetable is unknown. Not only that, Microsoft's timetable is unknown as well. Sony can stammer all they want about not wanting to lag too far behind, but if Sony is estimating a 2014 launch for both MS and themselves, there is practically nothing they could do to release a console in 2013 if MS decided to do so. It's not like they have a console design sitting around they can patch together and ship at a moments notice. Shit doesn't work that way.

The reality is that Sony would rather not release a PS4 next year in order to prolong this gen as much as possible, and going by that incredibly asinine PS4 roadmap statement put out by Sony that you love so much, it's more likely that they'd wait until their PS4 target hardware becomes more affordable. Currently rumors abound about nextbox dev kits. The same frankly cannot be said about PS4 dev kits. The amount of smoke we're seeing is disproportional (I really hope you understand what disproportional means). You're being insipidly stupid by choosing to ignore any and all rumors on the basis that rumors aren't worth taking into consideration (unless they support your cause of course).

But yes, they are rumors, and they aren't confirmation of anything either. Perhaps Sony also has dev kits out in the wild and they're plugging any and all leaks. Perhaps Sony's timetable is set for launching some time in 2013, or perhaps MS and Sony are both planning for 2014. Perhaps Sony knows all about their competitor's plans and is set to strategically debut the PS4 at the right time to counter them both. Those are all definite possibilities, but rumors seem to point at an earlier than expected nextbox with fewer signs of a PS4 in sight. You can cover your ears and yell as loud as you want that a Sony exec said such and such but the reality is that while Sony may still yet launch within a very competitive window, variables exist that are simply not in their control.

Now let me guess, you're going to say "WTF" and make it excruciatingly clear that you either don't understand anything I just said or that you simply choose to pick and choose what you want to believe or both.

Karak

LOL what?

Hyperbole? Do you work at Sony or something because you seem to know alot about their internal plans? Who said anything about a future based system? Maybe you're not the one basing the thoughts on rumors but the guy I originally quoted was. You budding in leads me to believe you agree so yes, its quite disingenuous.

Unless you know sony's internal plans dictated launching alot latter than the next couple years please quit trying to explain to me a process that I already know about.

And yes, im quite sure a Sony console would be a Sony project.

Well lets continue with fact as I have been doing then.

That fact cold hard and scientific is that Sony can't just pretend their world of processing doesn't fit within the normal technology industries standards with the hazards associated with them. As we have seen in console, pc, home audio, and other manufacturing histories, these problems and timelines bare out under scrutiny perfectly.
You say you know the processes but show very clearly in your suggestions that you do not or have a very limited idea of what is needed.
Bring facts into the discussion concerning the industries that drive the actual creation of the project and we can talk. Otherwise its simply believing a talking head who spouts magic.

And I explained and showed a current tech and a future tech implementation scheme and explained their problems. Problems exist with both that no one can magically ignore.

That is not confirmation of anything, despite how ardently you'd like to believe the contrary. Is Sony planning for a 2013 release? Are they going to be completely reactionary in deciding when to launch their new console? These are unanswerable questions. Sony's current timetable is unknown. Not only that, Microsoft's timetable is unknown as well. Sony can stammer all they want about not wanting to lag too far behind, but if Sony is estimating a 2014 launch for both MS and themselves, there is practically nothing they could do to release a console in 2013 if MS decided to do so. It's not like they have a console design sitting around they can patch together and ship at a moments notice. Shit doesn't work that way.

The reality is that Sony would rather not release a PS4 next year in order to prolong this gen as much as possible, and going by that incredibly asinine PS4 roadmap statement put out by Sony that you love so much, it's more likely that they'd wait until their PS4 target hardware becomes more affordable. Currently rumors abound about nextbox dev kits. The same frankly cannot be said about PS4 dev kits. The amount of smoke we're seeing is disproportional (I really hope you understand what disproportional means). You're being insipidly stupid by choosing to ignore any and all rumors on the basis that rumors aren't worth taking into consideration (unless they support your cause of course).

But yes, they are rumors, and they aren't confirmation of anything either. Perhaps Sony also has dev kits out in the wild and they're plugging any and all leaks. Perhaps Sony's timetable is set for launching some time in 2013, or perhaps MS and Sony are both planning for 2014. Perhaps Sony knows all about their competitor's plans and is set to strategically debut the PS4 at the right time to counter them both. Those are all definite possibilities, but rumors seem to point at an earlier than expected nextbox with fewer signs of a PS4 in sight. You can cover your ears and yell as loud as you want that a Sony exec said such and such but the reality is that while Sony may still yet launch within a very competitive window, variables exist that are simply not in their control.

Now let me guess, you're going to say "WTF" and make it excruciatingly clear that you either don't understand anything I just said or that you simply choose to pick and choose what you want to believe or both.

When did I ever say it confirmed anything? If anything its a whole hell of a lot more inciteful than rumors, inconsistent ones at that, of devkits going out. And um !!!newsflash!!! Nintendo is launching a next gen console this year, which we have confirmed proof of since last june. It has shit todo with guessing what MS is doing. And there are plenty of rumors that said devs have had PS4 specs and been making projects. Whether you have seen them or not is irrelevant. Gaf has a great search function.

They don't have to wait for anything to launch the hardware in the "asinine roadmap that I love so much". If anything they could build their SoC in a revision, like MS did this gen. I don't have any idea why you think they want to wait when they just said that they don't.

Again using inconsistent rumors to base where you think a console is in development is stupid. And even then, any credible rumor points to a Q42013 launch, and for Sony/Microsoft to have even alpha-kits out at this point would be the earliest in recent memory. A lack of devkit rumors mean next to nothing at this stage.

Well lets continue with fact as I have been doing then.

That fact cold hard and scientific is that Sony can't just pretend their world of processing doesn't fit within the normal technology industries standards with the hazards associated with them. As we have seen in console, pc, home audio, and other manufacturing histories, these problems and timelines bare out under scrutiny perfectly.
You say you know the processes but show very clearly in your suggestions that you do not or have a very limited idea of what is needed.
Bring facts into the discussion concerning the industries that drive the actual creation of the project and we can talk. Otherwise its simply believing a talking head who spouts magic.

And I explained and showed a current tech and a future tech implementation scheme and explained their problems. Problems exist with both that no one can magically ignore.

Ok,

Let me reword my question.

What data/evidence do you have to suggest that sony doesn't have a project thats in the late stages and ready to launch in the Q42013 window that seems to be projected. What data/evidence do you have that Sony hasn't been R&Ding a new console for ages now. Why is what the Sony executive said, hyperbolic?

Top Bottom