• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptic's next game based on critically acclaimed, well known fantasy IP (aka Magic)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So earlier this year, Hasbro was hyping up their new digital games division, and mentioned that "Wow, wouldn't it be amazing is there was a Magic: The Gathering MMO!?!?!"

Now, Cryptic, developers of the 15 million download and hugely succesful game Neverwinter, an MMO based on Hasbro's Dungeons and Dragons property, has a new game in development based on a critically acclaimed fantasy IP.

Feel free to speculate what else it might be, but uh, smart money is on Magic: The Gathering.

Gamasutra said:
Art Director, Unannounced Project
Cryptic Studios is looking for an experienced visionary project Art Director to lead the visual development of our next game based on a critically acclaimed fantasy IP!

Every day you could be:

Establishing and refining a unified artistic vision, style and quality standards for an unannounced project based on an extremely exciting, well-known fantasy IP
Source: http://jobs.gamasutra.com/job/art-director-unannounced-project-los-gatos-california-31868

Previous Hasbro statement:

Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast said:
We will bring our characters and worlds to other games and experiences. What would it be like to throw fireballs as a Planeswalker in an MMO, or quest for treasure with your friends in a D&D augmented-reality game? We want to play games like this too, so we hired David Schwartz, an industry veteran with 25 years of experience leading projects at Microsoft, Electronic Arts, THQ, LeapFrog Enterprises, and Midway Games. He is building a publishing team to explore partnerships and collaborations that will bring Magic and D&D to unexpected settings, genres, and platforms.
Source: http://company.wizards.com/article/news/making-moves

I expect nothing based on WotC's other forays into video games. But. It could be cool depending on how far they are allowed to abstract themselves from the actual plot of MtG. Keep the lore; lose the plot.

Ashodin

So earlier this year, Hasbro was hyping up their new digital games division, and mentioned that "Wow, wouldn't it be amazing is there was a Magic: The Gathering MMO!?!?!"

Now, Cryptic, developers of the 15 million download and hugely succesful game Neverwinter, an MMO based on Hasbro's Dungeons and Dragons property, has a new game in development based on a critically acclaimed fantasy IP.

Feel free to speculate what else it might be, but uh, smart money is on Magic: The Gathering.

Source: http://jobs.gamasutra.com/job/art-director-unannounced-project-los-gatos-california-31868

Previous Hasbro statement:

Source: http://company.wizards.com/article/news/making-moves

uhhhhhhh

that'd be HUGE.

Whoa.
WHOA WHOA WHOA WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE.

Y'all can't be serious...

Where the hell would we go? Dominaria? Ravnica?

Shandalar?

EDIT: Mind you, it could as likely be Ars Magica or A Non-Faerunian DnD Setting like Greyhawk or Dragonlance.

Whoa.
WHOA WHOA WHOA WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE.

Y'all can't be serious...

Where the hell would we go? Dominaria? Ravnica?

Shandalar?

It'll be the premiere planes for supporting the brand, so something like Ravnica, Innistrad, Theros, Tarkir, and Dominaria (this last one since they're going to be making a big deal of it for the 25th anniversary next year.)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It'll be the premiere planes for supporting the brand, so something like Ravnica, Innistrad, Theros, Tarkir, and Dominaria (this last one since they're going to be making a big deal of it for the 25th anniversary next year.)

And then they'll add more as updates go on.

For example, Neverwinter started in Neverwinter (inherently), but moved on to The Underdark and Icewind Dale among others.

EDIT: Mind you, it could as likely be Ars Magica or A Non-Faerunian DnD Setting like Greyhawk or Dragonlance.

To note, Hasbro has such a relationship with Cryptic that they're bringing them to the future of D&D panel as a headlining component.

Brokun

Oof. Neverwinter is extremely underwhelming in the MMO space. I love the Magic license as much as D&D, but if this is a Cryptic joint it's a hard pass for me.

LordCiego

Just imagine exploring Ravnica in a videogame.

giphy.gif

Philippo

A MtG MMORPG with multiple Planes?

HOLY SHIT.

Just adapt the concept arts and lore bits from the cards and its going to be GOAT.

Ashodin

And then they'll add more as updates go on.

For example, Neverwinter started in Neverwinter (inherently), but moved on to The Underdark and Icewind Dale among others.

To note, Hasbro has such a relationship with Cryptic that they're bringing them to the future of D&D panel as a headlining component.
Sounds like the new boss wants multiple projects to grow the brand.

Yeah, I'm game.

Wonder how they're going to handle gameplay? I could see them doing typical holy trinity/hotbar nonsense, but idk, if it's really a Magic MMO there's potential for them to do something different with it. I've seen card-based systems in those before.

Yeah, I'm game.

Wonder how they're going to handle gameplay? I could see them doing typical holy trinity/hotbar nonsense, but idk, if it's really a Magic MMO there's potential for them to do something different with it. I've seen card-based systems in those before.

Phantom Dust? Oversoul? Hell, the Board Game did some cool stuff.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
not up for another mmo but theres hundreds of magic cards alone that would make for their own great games i mean look at this

eldritch moon card art alone could be a awesome medieval styled state of decay but with these dudes instead of zombies
msgz7co

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sounds like the new boss wants multiple projects to grow the brand.

Essentially they have a three pronged digital business strategy.

1.) They started a new inhouse team to make the digital version of Magic: The Gathering (the card game) and some D&D toolsets/digitalization products.

2.) They're partnering with a wide variety of companies to make licensed games based on Wizard's core brands (mainly Magic and D&D).

3.) They're also redoing all the social/online communication infrastructure for their products.

Wok

The big appeal of MTG to me is the wonderful art and occasional lore sentences on them. I wonder if this would translate well into a 3D MMO.

Top Bottom