• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

PolishQ

BREAKING: Bitfinex immediately halting verifications for new US customers, and will discontinue all services to US customers in 90 days.

https://www.bitfinex.com/posts/216

This is really unfortunate. The U.S. government could be doing a much better job at adapting to the changing times. I wonder if the SEC was threatening Bitfinex behind the scenes.

Edit: Bitfinex also halting trading of EOS and Santiment to US customers on August 16. If you are in the US and hold either of those, you should consider selling them immediately or moving them to another exchange.

Any reason to worry that Bittrex or other exchanges might do the same? Are they exempt from stuff like this since they don't offer USD withdrawals? What about Coinbase?

Brandson

Any reason to worry that Bittrex or other exchanges might do the same? Are they exempt from stuff like this since they don't offer USD withdrawals? What about Coinbase?

Other exchanges could do the same. More likely is that any crypto asset that at all smells like a security might be halted for trading by US customers on at least all of the US-based exchanges, but possibly all exchanges worldwide.

There have some rumors of shady stuff happening at Bitfinex recently. This could be their way of short-circuiting the regulatory impacts of that activity.

If no more exchanges are willing to let Americans trade in certain ICO coins, that would be disappointing, and bad all around. The SEC really needs to clarify its position better, and offer a path to regulation.

TeegsD

Y'all might want to get on the CVC train.

About to read up on it, seems a little crazy to jump on during a 62% climb. Whats causing the climb?

BREAKING: Bitfinex immediately halting verifications for new US customers, and will discontinue all services to US customers in 90 days.

This is really unfortunate. The U.S. government could be doing a much better job at adapting to the changing times. I wonder if the SEC was threatening Bitfinex behind the scenes.

Edit: Bitfinex also halting trading of EOS and Santiment to US customers on August 16. If you are in the US and hold either of those, you should consider selling them immediately or moving them to another exchange.

This is extremely unfortunate. Is there any other way of exchanging USD for alt coins besides Bitfinex? I primarily use ShapeShift to exchange ETH, but was hoping to use more USD to fund alts.

Instro

About to read up on it, seems a little crazy to jump on during a 62% climb. Whats causing the climb?

When I looked yesterday it had been listed on a new exchange. The project does seem interesting, and it has VC backing iirc, but yeah it shot up a lot of the last day or so.

Red

Well guess I should get on moving my IOTA.

PolishQ

Civic's app has a real use case (streamlined identity verification) and was used for registrations in the recent 0x token sale, which got the word out to a decent number of people. It was also recently listed on a Chinese exchange.

TeegsD

When I looked yesterday it had been listed on a new exchange. The project does seem interesting, and it has VC backing iirc, but yeah it shot up a lot of the last day or so.

Civic's app has a real use case (streamlined identity verification) and was used for registrations in the recent 0x token sale, which got the word out to a decent number of people. It was also recently listed on a Chinese exchange.

Good to know, guys, thanks! It seems to be dropping a little bit now, going to keep tabs on it.

What's everyone's opinion on Steem? Seems to have dropped a bit over the last day or so

Brandson

Watching ETH today I thought it was going to have a slow down weekend. Now it looks like crossing USD$320 is coming soon. That's a nice surprise.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
XRP still losing value on all fronts

still, I am tempted to buy some more and put it on hold for a longer time period

Also, for all Bitstamp users, they will start with ETH trading on Thursday

DonMigs85

Fellas, what do you think of TenX? Looks fairly promising. Was also thinking about Status/SNT. XRP isn't doing so hot right now.

Seems like things are starting to level out with NEO and OMG.

GAS was a fun ride. I was literally half a second from pulling off a near triple of initial investment but the pump dumped right when I went to submit the sell order and I couldn't catch it in time. Still made some money, but should have kept it in NEO tbh, not worth the mental strain of staring at a pump and praying to get out at the right time.

Cashed out around 37 with NEO, pretty happy with myself considering the current correction that's happening. Not sure if I'm going to reinvest, gonna think about it for a few days. May dump everything into OMG to hop on the next pump (if it happens)

Fellas, what do you think of TenX? Looks fairly promising. Was also thinking about Status/SNT. XRP isn't doing so hot right now.

Just be careful seems like so much money is flowing in that some of these coins are getting that FOMO treatment.

I had TenX made some profits from it and I am planning on jumping back in since it's pulling back.

Jzero

M°°nblade;245975258 said:
Tempting to sell my ETH @ $315. What do you guys think?

I said fuck it and sold at $310 and invested it on other crypto.

What's the best way to buy bitcoin for a casual user? Some of the links in the OP have very bad reviews.

Coinbase but their fees add up super fast which is why i'm trying to find and alternative.

I'm thinking of selling my STRAT and OMG and put the funds in other alts with more promising returns short term. I'm thinking about getting some CVC, ADX and TKN. Still on the fence about SAFEX though.

Anyone can give me their opinion on these coins? They look diverse enough to gain some traction and still have a low market cap.

Brandson

What caused ETH hype to die down? Team running into issues?

If anything ETH has the best actual development progress of any crypto. Things are actually happening from many big mainstream parties. People buying crypto right now seem to want faster, bigger returns than ETH is presently giving, even if ETH will be much bigger in the long run, so smaller coins are taking turns being pumped up, often for no good sustainable reason. Money is also moving from eveywhere into Bitcoin right now because it's pumping now too. ETH had a big pump last weekend. Its turn will come again soon. In particular, watch for a rise closer to the Metropolis Ethereum upgrade in late September with a host of improvements, noteably for traders, a mining reward decrease, reducing the ETH inflation rate. With less new ETH entering the market, sell pressure will be reduced and the price will likely rise.

Between now and then, the price could move all over the place. The market right now is hard to predict, but I'm holding ETH.

DonMigs85

I'm thinking of selling my STRAT and OMG and put the funds in other alts with more promising returns short term. I'm thinking about getting some CVC, ADX and TKN. Still on the fence about SAFEX though.

Anyone can give me their opinion on these coins? They look diverse enough to gain some traction and still have a low market cap.
Was wondering about Myriad/XMY. It's very cheap but seems a little scammy

DrM

Redmond's Baby
BTC over 4100 $ / 3500 €
NEO also on the rise again
XRP still falling heavily

is bitstamp alright? thinking about getting my feet wet just a little bit.

They are ok, only their trading portfolio is smaller compared to Kraken. But they will be adding ETH on Thursday

But on the other side, I got fully verified there in a few minutes. And it is over 3 days at Kraken and still in 'processing' phase for tier 3

ty_hot

Earlier this week I got my very first (fraction of) bitcoin. It was in its all time high, about to reach 3000 euros. I had a feeling I wasnt doing the right thing, that I was buying it just because I wanted to use my Kraken account money. It started to go down, about 1%, so that thought kept in my mind. Fast forward to the next morning, the price recovered and I was making a small profit even, so I just sold it and decided to wait for the next time it would go down... Fast forward to today, this shit didnt stop going up, 3530 right now. 20% in less than a week.

FML. Lol. I have very little money on it so it doesn't make much difference money wise but I can also learn from the experience.

Cant decide whether to buy some more again or not though lol.

Kiraly

The ignorance shown in the OT thread about Bitcoin reaching 4000 USD just proves that we still have a long way to go (up).

DrM

Redmond's Baby
NEO going totally ballistic today, I wonder where it will stop.

Cant decide whether to buy some more again or not though lol.

I am waiting for my funds to get on my trading account (probably not before Wednesday, because we have a national holiday on Tuesday ) and after that I will probably get some ETH and buy some other coins. I have decided on a sum that I can invest, without any risk to my finances.

I'm all in for the ride.

Sold all my STRAT and put it all in CVC. It was the first alt coin I bought but it didn't have any kind of development price wise. Sold at a little profit and didn't have that much to begin with (less than 100). Now I have around 1000 CVC. If it explodes, I'll have a nice bump in my returns.

I am waiting for my funds to get on my trading account (probably not before Wednesday, because we have a national holiday on Tuesday ) and after that I will probably get some ETH and buy some other coins. I have decided on a sum that I can invest, without any risk to my finances.

NEO is on a tear this is utterly amazing.

I'm all in for the ride.

Sold all my STRAT and put it all in CVC. It was the first alt coin I bought but it didn't have any kind of development price wise. Sold at a little profit and didn't have that much to begin with (less than 100). Now I have around 1000 CVC. If it explodes, I'll have a nice bump in my returns.

I sold off a bunch of coins yesterday before they really started going south and put some money into CVC this morning. Hoping that Civic doubles, it is sounding like the next coin to get into single digits.

What's special about cvc to warrant jumping in after an already large set of gains?

It's the one coin with an actual mass-use case. The CEO has a string of successful startups. It's barely a few months old. They are already partnering with major websites that are using their service. When this hits mass adoption everyone with a smartphone will use it. This is an actual chance to be an early adopter.

But as anything in crypto, no promises.

The Rizza

Anyone else having trouble claiming GAS? I'm using the NEON wallet and checked it today after about a day and a half of not claiming any and it still says 0. Hasn't moved at all in about 10 minutes too.

Anyone else having trouble claiming GAS? I'm using the NEON wallet and checked it today after about a day and a half of not claiming any and it still says 0. Hasn't moved at all in about 10 minutes too.

I'm having the same problem. Went to reddit and it seems the wallet is having some issues. It's in maintenance now. One guy said that maybe they were under a DDoS attack.

Anyway, It's being sorted out.

Edit: This was the post I was talking about. Check out the reply of "anfn101"
https://www.reddit.com/r/NEO/comments/6tc5ff/neon_wallet_malfunction_cant_claim_gas_anymore/

Top Bottom