• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

gaming_noob

EOS, XBY, potentially Hashgraph one day

XBY will get a few pumps here and there but it’s going to be a while.

Check out ETP Metaverse if you’re looking for next possible ETH. Tim Draper’s marketing team will have some work done with them. They’re after the global market but I think focusing more on Chinese and Russia’s market. Big potential.

I can’t let go of XBY. I bought some back.

DonMigs85

Check out ETP Metaverse if you’re looking for next possible ETH. Tim Draper’s marketing team will have some work done with them. They’re after the global market but I think focusing more on Chinese and Russia’s market. Big potential.

Yeah I had heard of ETP before. Wish I bought when it was under a dollar

I'd add XAS to that list. Little sleeping giant in the corner. :)

Quick Tip:

A little strategy that worth considering for me lately is to check out what really decent projects are listed on EtherDelta.

The fact that this exchange is the Dark Souls of Digital Exchanges makes it an accomplisment in itself if you can get ETH on there and successfully purchase the token of your choosing.

Consequently, at the moment, it is a resource to grab some potential gems at a price not many people will jump through the hoops to obtain

:)

Guys, I'm new to this so sorry in advance for the noob questions..

What's the best way to buy bitcoin in the UK, and what's the deal with the transaction fees.

I bought my first £100 worth of BTC yesterday on Blockchain (which uses Coinify), but transaction fees when paying with a debit card are like 3%. Coinbase also charges 4%. That seems ridiculous to me, it means that Bitcoin will have to go up by at least that to even get your money back. Is there any way around that?

Also, how do I even sell what I have? I guess I'll have to register with an exchange and connect it to my Blockchain wallet? I assume there are fees connected to this too?

Short term, people will sell BTC to buy alt-coins at each post-fork price hike, and even after that, I suspect the absolute price of most of them will start to rise once the market stabilizes again and the positive cash flow starts; relatively speaking though, I suspect BTC will leave most of them in the dust in a matter of months. It has an established development history and is the most recognized of them all. The claim that it will replace gold is not too far-fetched; at least it will become the gold of the e-world.
Hello boys, howdy? ;)

Edit: This is possibly my last post in the forum given its current status. So, farewell, boys

I'm trying to move some of my ARK from the wallet to Bittrex. I sent a very small amount to Bittrex and I have been waiting for a good 30 minutes, does it take this long for such a small amount? This was a test amount that I sent before moving everything over to the exchange.

It appears like my TXID my not be matching with what is in the ARK client and Bittrex.

Donos

Also, how do I even sell what I have? I guess I'll have to register with an exchange and connect it to my Blockchain wallet? I assume there are fees connected to this too?

Sell BTC for altcoins? Register on something like Bittrex, Kraken, Bitfinex (ui bit more complicated then the first two). You then send your BTC to a new generated wallet adress there. When it's on the exchange wallet, you can directly get altcoins for your BTC.

If you have a special coin /token in mind, look it up on coinmarketcap and look und "markets". It shows where that coin is listen on which exchange.

IOC and ARK recovering a bit (IOC 30%).Maybe the last chance to sell it before everything goes into fork Crazy mode.

galperi1

I'm trying to move some of my ARK from the wallet to Bittrex. I sent a very small amount to Bittrex and I have been waiting for a good 30 minutes, does it take this long for such a small amount? This was a test amount that I sent before moving everything over to the exchange.

It appears like my TXID my not be matching with what is in the ARK client and Bittrex.

How much ark did you send? I thought bittrex had some limit where you had to deposit at least 1 ark for it to show up on your account

How much ark did you send? I thought bittrex had some limit where you had to deposit at least 1 ark for it to show up on your account

After several hours, it all finally came through. At first I had sent 3 which showed as depositing in Bittrex, but damn was it taking forever.

protonion

Finally after a long time (verification, depositing etc), I am a proud owner of 0.04 bitcoins!

I transfered them to mycelium on my android phone.

Now the waiting to be rich begins.

Not that I understand anyting about the technology but I read somewhere that after the fork,
if bitcoin splits into two coins that I will also have the same amount of the new coin. Really?

Donos

If the fork happens as with Bitcoin cash, then yeah. But be aware that if you have 100 € of bitcoin, that doesn't mean that you have 200 € worth of coins after the fork (50% of BTC, 50% of B2X) since immediately after the fork, people are going to sell their stuff to make bank and therefore the value of both coins is going to adjust rapidly.

Damn, not good news for ETH: https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/07/a...s-of-dollars-of-ethereum/?ncid=mobilenavtrend
Early estimates from UCL cryptocurrency researcher Patrick McCorry suggest that at least 600,000 ETH (worth around $150 million) is frozen. McCorry told TechCrunch said the total is likely to be higher still as more information about Parity usage and wallet volumes comes to light.

One high-profile company impacted is Polkadot, a project to link private-public blockchains that raised over $140 million in a token sale and was started by Parity co-founder Gavin Wood. Polkadot confirmed its wallets have been frozen and TechCrunch understands that 60 percent of its ICO raise is potentially affected.
https://paritytech.io/blog/security-alert.html
Affected users: Users with assets in a multi-sig wallet created in Parity Wallet that was deployed after 20th July.

Following the fix for the original multi-sig issue that had been exploited on 19th of July (function visibility), a new version of the Parity Wallet library contract was deployed on 20th of July. However that code still contained another issue - it was possible to turn the Parity Wallet library contract into a regular multi-sig wallet and become an owner of it by calling the initWallet function. It would seem that issue was triggered accidentally 6th Nov 2017 02:33:47 PM +UTC and subsequently a user suicided the library-turned-into-wallet, wiping out the library code which in turn rendered all multi-sig contracts unusable since their logic (any state-modifying function) was inside the library.

All dependent multi-sig wallets that were deployed after 20th July functionally now look as follows:

contract Wallet {
function () payable {
Deposit(...)
}
}

This means that currently no funds can be moved out of the multi-sig wallets.

Some non tech reddit explanations in the comments:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurr...uy_who_blew_up_parity_didnt_know_what_he_was/
Imagine if hundreds of millions of dollars were stored in an impenetrable vault in the middle of Times Square, and some kid crawls underneath it and presses a big red button that makes it vanish into an alternate dimension where we can still see it all but never touch it again. Lots of people knew the button was there but nobody ever bothered to try and press it because they assumed the people who created the vault weren't stupid enough not to put a lockbox around it.

It's obviously a little more complex than that but I think that accurately captures the stupidity of it.
He used very basic coding skills to make a ton of money vanish and he apparently didn't think it would work.

It's like those brain puzzles that are so hard to figure out but a child walks up and does something an adult would never even attempt. The adults thought they built Rome but the kid destroyed it and a lot of people lost money.

What's the best way to buy bitcoin in the UK, and what's the deal with the transaction fees.

I bought my first £100 worth of BTC yesterday on Blockchain (which uses Coinify), but transaction fees when paying with a debit card are like 3%. Coinbase also charges 4%. That seems ridiculous to me, it means that Bitcoin will have to go up by at least that to even get your money back. Is there any way around that?

You can do a SEPA transfer from your bank account to Coinbase with a lower fee for exchanging to Bitcoin. Bitstamp or Gdax have even lower fees though.

Nikodemos

So, uhh, is mining worth it?

Or have the massive farms made it completely impossible for the individual miner with, say, 4 undervolted cards to make any profit?

JackDT

If you have cheap electric rates it's still profitable since you already own the hardware.

In my experience, the fun of mining is to mine coins that aren't even available on exchanges yet in a gamble that they eventually gain some traction. If you aren't going to run a room full of video cards that's where the fun is IMO. Only if you like reading about new weird coins though and probably wasting your time.

RSP

Or have the massive farms made it completely impossible for the individual miner with, say, 4 undervolted cards to make any profit?

BTC mining hasn't been worth it for a long time, but you can mine altcoins using a GPU just fine.

A nice way to see this is to have your PC mine an altcoin while you're not using it, eventually giving you a nice return that could fund a new PC (depending on quite a few factors ofcourse).

This is what I've done at my office: All systems are fitted with 1060 cards, and power is really cheap (and a business expense). So we have them all mine between 6pm and 9am while there is nobody in the office. We've been running for a couple of months and are about to break even on the purchase of the cards themselves.

Check out nicehash.com if you want to try it out.

KrisB

Bitcoin isn't but Ethereum is worth mining still. As long as you don't live in an area with high power costs you can make a profit. Monero is another one that you can easily mine.

tkscz

Another mining question.

I have an R9 380X and saw others using it and getting about 10 to 20 KH\s mining XMR, when I only get about 570 H\s. Now that still nets me a profit, but how are they getting those numbers? Is it pool related or mining app related? I'm using Claymore's mining app.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I opened my portfolio and saw that it was 25% higher than it was an hour ago. Crazy. I really missed out on buying back at lower rates on some of these alts I left. Doh.

Donos

I opened my portfolio and saw that it was 25% higher than it was an hour ago. Crazy. I really missed out on buying back at lower rates on some of these alts I left. Doh.

This close before the fork people expected at least one major dip for alts so buying them before the 16th was risky except riding some short waves and making a quick $.

Well, hope everything goes back to "normal" now without fork stuff or major china shenanigans. Tether(gate) is probably imploding tomorrow and sents everything back into the red :)

gaming_noob

Some people put in their life savings for Segwit2x futures. It was a sure fire win situation they thought. Same goes for this Polkadot fiasco. Crypto really tells you you should be doing the opposite of what the market thinks.

The Hermit

As someone who hasn't entered in the market yet ( mostly for lack of cash) is this a good time to jump in or is better to wait the market to settle the prices a bit?

As someone who hasn't entered in the market yet ( mostly for lack of cash) is this a good time to jump in or is better to wait the market to settle the prices a bit?

you will never time the market so if you're going to jump in just do it. cost average over a few weeks/months if you're concerned about 'timing'

also lmao @ just cancelling the fork, wtf. can someone provide more insight to this? because that makes it just sound like some scam esque thing of them never having intended to do it in the first place

Donos

Better to enter when there is a dip. Most of the popular coins recovered 30% yesterday. But you'll never know what happens next. See that ETH loophole.

Situation with China and regulations is also still not 100 % clear.

ARK slowly creeping back to former glory?

you will never time the market so if you're going to jump in just do it. cost average over a few weeks/months if you're concerned about 'timing'

also lmao @ just cancelling the fork, wtf. can someone provide more insight to this? because that makes it just sound like some scam esque thing of them never having intended to do it in the first place

I doubt it's an outright scam. More like a chicken race that the Segwit2x supporters ultimately realized they couldn't win.

I think you're good to go, but I would suggest only investing in Bitcoin until you have a good idea of what the market is like.

gaming_noob

Lots of rumours the past couple of weeks about China allowing crypto but no real news. When it happens NEO is going to be huge and I think other alts will rise like back in the summer. My ETP will also explode :p

Ark is such a good project and deserves this growth.

mackattk

Any thoughts on EVX?

REALLY glad I wasn't in B2X futures. Never really thought about donig it but seeing it drop from $1200 to $185 within a few hours is rough. I am sure a lot of people lost a lot of money yesterday.

MNDan

Neo Member
I have to ask - why are you all clinging to all non-BTC coins? No profit - mostly shit - yet you cling while watching the king double and double again...

DonMigs85

I have to ask - why are you all clinging to all non-BTC coins? No profit - mostly shit - yet you cling while watching the king double and double again...

unless you put huge amounts into BTC now you're not gonna see tremendous gains. But if an altcoin takes off it feels like winning the lottery almost

Donos

Made a couple thousand € with a couple hundred € investment (with Antshares / NEO) and later easy 30 % - 150 % gains with Iota , OMG, Civic and ARK with rather little investment. That was rather low risk. Look how WTC went off recently.

If i would enter the Cryptospace with 50k €/$, sure, i would put most of it into BTC and ETH. But some want to push their luck with dirt cheap coins or with promising popular ones who are still in single digit.

There are probably others who hope that 10k $ investment makes them rich when that one coin/token goes from $0,02 to $2 (like DGB, SC, IOT, DNT etc.)

Also, while BTC is maybe headed for 10k or 100k in a couple of years, it also could easily crash down a couple thousands $.

I really like toying around with alt coins and reading up on them, even reading the shill posts and hope and dreams of other people on reddit is entertaining. But that's because i don't put my savings into this crypto shit like others do.

TL:DR version:
unless you put huge amounts into BTC now you're not gonna see tremendous gains. But if an altcoin takes off it feels like winning the lottery almost

Blam

Look at Bitcoin Cash.

Bitcoin tanked, and then BCC is up, and so is Monero.

soymilk

Neo Member
Hey guys anyone in etp metaverse? Been hearing great stuff about it and bought it at a high (lost half of its value since then!). I thought I would just buy some more now the value is so low and profit when it rises back up. However now I am reading people having issues with the website wallet, saying they getting no support on the slack etc. That's worrying me a bit.

gaming_noob

Hey guys anyone in etp metaverse? Been hearing great stuff about it and bought it at a high (lost half of its value since then!). I thought I would just buy some more now the value is so low and profit when it rises back up. However now I am reading people having issues with the website wallet, saying they getting no support on the slack etc. That's worrying me a bit.

I have some. They are beta testing a new wallet so we just have to wait a bit. I’m not touching it until the new one is confirmed to be working. According to Janice Shi on their telegram they have a lot of new ICOs to announce “soon” using ETP. She teased the channel with Chandler Guo’s “7000 ICOs” tweet.

Top Bottom